facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 16, 2005, 02:21 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Why we don\'t have any international umpire?

seriously......i was wondering why don't we have international umpires like other countries do? we are producing some impressive young cricketers but why not umpire? it is equally prestigious i guess.......... it's been over 5 years but we still couldn't have elite umpire??....
as far as i know, we had match referee but no umpire.

Old August 16, 2005, 02:48 AM
First Class Cricketer

well..i guess we need to have a umpire's training institute now....
Old August 16, 2005, 10:52 AM
Cricket Legend

There is a formal umpire training procedure existing in Bangladesh. Just like every other country, the Umpires association in Bangladesh takes care of the training and assignment of Umpires. From my personal experience of taking courses in Bangladesh and abroad, I must say Umpires training mechanism, , within limited resources, in Bangladesh is very satisfactory.

In most of the test nations, the supply of umpires come form former first-class level players. But in Bangladesh, involvement of former players in Umpiring is still very low. Also, understanding of cricket laws is very important for everyone involved in the game of cricket. Young cricketers should also have training on umpiring/laws. This will certainly ensure proper conduct on field and also might create interest about umpiring among the cricketers. Also well-educated young cricket enthusiasts who do not play cricket, but interested in direct involvement in cricketing community should come forward to take part in the game as umpires.

Every test nations has 3 members in the ICC International Umpires panel. ICC evaluates performance of umpires in international panel and then recruits umpire for the 7-member elite panel based on performance evaluation of the international panel umpires. Being a test nation, position of 3 umpires from Bangladesh in the international panel is guaranteed. We will have to make sure that we have strong umpiring community to fill these 3 guaranteed positions with solid-skilled umpires. If our umpires perform well as international umpires, they may be recruited in elite panel someday.

But it will take time to develop an umpiring community with solid umpiring skill. We need to buildup a strong umpiring culture. Development of facilities, players and umpires are all linked together. We need to have a strong, deep rooted domestic cricket structure. This is important for ensuring enough exposure for local umpires. Formal training and certification may development at best 20% of someone’s umpiring skills, the rest 80% of the umpiring skills comes from on field experience. More international matches at home and a strong domestic cricket structure will create the stage for development and exposure of umpires. When we have the umpires with necessary training, experience, exposure and solid umpiring performance- inclusion in elite panel will happen automatically.

Edited on, August 16, 2005, 3:55 PM GMT, by babubangla.
Old August 16, 2005, 11:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by sunny747
seriously......i was wondering why don't we have international umpires like other countries do? we are producing some impressive young cricketers but why not umpire? it is equally prestigious i guess.......... it's been over 5 years but we still couldn't have elite umpire??....
as far as i know, we had match referee but no umpire.
We do have umpires in international panel. But they are assigned only in international matches at home. Elite panel is totally different issue--it has just 7 members and not every test playing nation has members in elite panel. 7-elite panel umpires, 10 test playing nations---no way you can have umpires from every country. In fact in current elite panel- there are umpires from 5 test nations-- 3 from Australia, 1 each from Pakistan, New Zealand, West Indies and South Africa. There is no elite panel umpire from Bangladesh, England, India, Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka at this moment.
Old August 16, 2005, 11:29 AM
Club Cricketer

akhter uddin shahin

is bangladeshi international umpire
Old August 16, 2005, 03:25 PM
Test Cricketer

We dont have any or shld i say many( as Akther uddin is there)

bcoz 80% of the ppl doest seem to be concerned of this thing besides other factors being that no proper setup for this in Bangladesh and so on....
Old August 17, 2005, 04:02 AM
Test Cricketer

Thanks babubangla........i didn't know all these.......