facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 30, 2012, 06:29 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

I like T20..but too much of anything isn't healthy..like t20, too much test or Odis would also be borings..i would prefer a right balance of matches

Old December 30, 2012, 09:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib, Mashrafi, Mushfiq

When powerplay had been started in ODI format, no one wanted to miss it watching. So it was a popular step in ODI. Now T20I is the format of 20 over powerplay. So enjoy it though I don't like too much T20I cricket and same in domestic T20.
Old December 30, 2012, 10:58 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Is T20 rubbish ?
NO.

It is just another form of cricket that is here to stay for good.
The quicker you learn to accept it and move on with your life, the better it would be for you.
I guess my future is not too bright.
Old December 30, 2012, 11:01 AM
Banned

I respect T20, T20 made Bangladesh a Stronger Team (BPL)
Old December 30, 2012, 11:11 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

I am not a big fan of Tea20 but I do enjoy it whenever there is a tense finish.
It's good for the crowd as well.
But I enjoy more a good batting innings or a good bowling spell in ODIs & Tests than T20.

But I think all these T20 leaques like IPeel,BPL,SLPL ,Big bash etc will/are hampering the progress of cricket? like the young stars playing cricket these days(not all offcourse) are more interested in becoming big hitters & earning some easy cash than playing for their country.
Many current international cricketers are having problems with their board because of their participation in these leagues.
Although BPL did good to our cricket so far, but only for limited over cricket.
Old December 30, 2012, 11:53 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

The similar threads listed below shows BengaliPagol's attempt to create a diversion although failed.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=42205
Old December 31, 2012, 12:05 AM

Any cricket played by the Tigers, I enjoy it! Even if it is Six-A-Side!!
Old December 31, 2012, 12:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
The similar threads listed below shows BengaliPagol's attempt to create a diversion although failed.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=42205
it failed miserably
Old December 31, 2012, 01:55 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Let's take Ind-Pak series for example. T20 series was nothing but an appetizer and our last T20 was sort of a desert. That's how it's still perceived as when it comes to international cricket. In the case of domestic T20 leagues, they are just a cash cow. The passion there is not enough.
ODI WC win is still considered to be the ultimate achievement more than T20 WC win for a reason. Just ask Tendulkar.
Old December 31, 2012, 11:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

The problem with T-20 is 20 overs is not enough to formulate a strategy, be it batting or bowling. With batting it's keep hitting, and with bowling it's keep bowling a tight length and line. Also there is no element of shame involved. Oh,your team is all out at 80. No prob, all the batsmen were too aggressive it was bound to happen. Same thing with an opening spell of a bowler. Oh you went for 24 in the opening over, no problem, the batsmen is there to hit every ball for a boundary after all. There is no accountability.

Increasing the overs from 20 to 50 solves all these problems, and hence ODI is the best format of cricket. It allows strategy and also earns revenue.

Test cricket is the worst. From a marketing point of view, entertainment point of view; it is heading towards extinction soon. The fans are the most oblivious ,those who claim the great test rivalries between industrialized nations as examples of the format's greatness. What will they do when these nations pull the plug on test cricket 20-25 years from now? Surely they will rue the missed opportunity to focus solely on ODIS and stay one step ahead of of their competitors.
Old December 31, 2012, 02:21 PM
Cricket Legend

I like T20Is... but not as much as ODIs and certainly not as much as Tests.
I do not like the domestic T20s to watch - but they have a purpose - I believe the last BPL was one of the reasons for Bangladesh doing so well in Asia Cup - and that persisted.

Its a good way to make money - and if that money comes into the boards for player development and entertains the spectators - nothing wrong with that. As long as it does not create a bad habit of ignoring ODI and Test viewership in the stands.
Old December 31, 2012, 03:16 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
I'm sure they said the same thing about ODI back in early 70s.

You have to accept the wind of change.
I thought this thread was about personal opinion. In my opinion t20 is a joke, and no I don't consider odi's as the premier format either. To me test cricket is the real format, I am not too concerned with odi's unless it's the world cup. Just because mainstream opinion is different doesn't mean everyone will have to agree with it.
Old December 31, 2012, 04:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
The problem with T-20 is 20 overs is not enough to formulate a strategy, be it batting or bowling. With batting it's keep hitting, and with bowling it's keep bowling a tight length and line. Also there is no element of shame involved. Oh,your team is all out at 80. No prob, all the batsmen were too aggressive it was bound to happen. Same thing with an opening spell of a bowler. Oh you went for 24 in the opening over, no problem, the batsmen is there to hit every ball for a boundary after all. There is no accountability.
On the contrary, 20 overs is plenty of time to formulate a strategy. It has it's own unique challenges that need to be overcome or circumnavigated for a team to succeed. T20 is not about hitting every ball out of the park. As a matter of fact, 180 runs can be scored by hitting only one four in each of the 20 overs as long as a single is scored of the other balls. On competitive surfaces we often see 150 posing serious challenges, which requires a boundary to be hit only once every two overs. Generally first 6 overs are typical power play overs, 7-15 middle overs that require consolidation, and 16-20 are slog overs. If first 6 overs go really well only then teams should keep hitting and delay consolidation. Depending on runs scored and wickets remaining, they must adjust their strategy. Teams that don't follow a strategy are typically the ones that don't succeed.
Old December 31, 2012, 05:01 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
On the contrary, 20 overs is plenty of time to formulate a strategy. It has it's own unique challenges that need to be overcome or circumnavigated for a team to succeed. T20 is not about hitting every ball out of the park. As a matter of fact, 180 runs can be scored by hitting only one four in each of the 20 overs as long as a single is scored of the other balls. Generally first 6 overs are typical power play overs, 7-15 middle overs that require consolidation, and 16-20 are slog overs. If first 6 overs go really well only then teams should keep hitting and delay consolidation. Teams that don't follow a strategy are typically the ones that don't succeed.
Exactly what I wanted to say...

Skill wise also, T20 needs a very different kind of mindset and skills with both bat and ball ... So this format is lifting the player's skills, just like ODIs did. Even test cricket isn't the same as it was before 80.. Now Test cricket Nd ODI, both will have a change in next 20-30 years..

It might be practically feasible to have a test cricket reduced to 3/4 days and still have two innings and have a result and a lots of runs scored... That makes the test cricket to be played on weekends to have a large number of crowd as well... Chasing 400 in ODIs could become a regular thing and there may be double centuries in ODIs on a regular basis....etc etc.. On the other hand ... Bowlers will have to innovate newer varieties to take wickets,so batsmen will have to lift their skills.....

T20, even now isn't a blind slogging for good teams...may be for BD, and that's why we don't have success yet..in this format...

I have appetite for all formats.... ...every format has it's own difficulties and challenges...
Old December 31, 2012, 05:58 PM
Club Cricketer

The main complaint from people who are not into cricket is that its too long.....the T20 was a step in right direction to attract a wider audience.
Old December 31, 2012, 08:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

If so many people dislike T20s then just sign up to my petition then!!!!
Old December 31, 2012, 09:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
On the contrary, 20 overs is plenty of time to formulate a strategy. It has it's own unique challenges that need to be overcome or circumnavigated for a team to succeed. T20 is not about hitting every ball out of the park. As a matter of fact, 180 runs can be scored by hitting only one four in each of the 20 overs as long as a single is scored of the other balls. On competitive surfaces we often see 150 posing serious challenges, which requires a boundary to be hit only once every two overs. Generally first 6 overs are typical power play overs, 7-15 middle overs that require consolidation, and 16-20 are slog overs. If first 6 overs go really well only then teams should keep hitting and delay consolidation. Depending on runs scored and wickets remaining, they must adjust their strategy. Teams that don't follow a strategy are typically the ones that don't succeed.

I agree fully. I was comparing the three formats. So just imagine, you have so eloquently described just how much strategy can be applied to T20. So 50 overs will provide a bit more room for flexing those. And thus therefore, test cricket becomes totally pointless. Little revenue, little entertainment, and now even the the whole "aura of strategy" defense doesn't hold much water, as ODI and T20 can provide the same thing.
Old December 31, 2012, 11:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

Lets not overlook the real issue. ODI and T20 came into being due to test crickets Inability to sustain itself. T20 brings viewers, money, opportunity to expand the game and opportunities for players to make a true professional living.

To cultivate a culture that will limit a sport to 9/10 countries is truly pointless and meaningless. Test can remain as a grandfathered format with all its elitism in place but T20 is the way forward.

ODI would be well served as the centerpiece through the World Cup and possibly a league with equal home/away games over a 2 year period. All bi lateral will be seperate to FTP at discretion of the 2 boards.

T20 should become the flag bearer with Olympic status and regional tournaments to supplement the domestic leagues.

I don't see a point for Ireland, Afghanistan etc to invest in the long format. The FTP cannot sustain new teams and they are better off building teams for the shorter format.

Just a reminder, typically when u start to defend tradition and purity it usually means you are trying to convince your self more so than the rising tide that is bringing on a change
Old January 1, 2013, 12:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynman
Lets not overlook the real issue. ODI and T20 came into being due to test crickets Inability to sustain itself. T20 brings viewers, money, opportunity to expand the game and opportunities for players to make a true professional living.

To cultivate a culture that will limit a sport to 9/10 countries is truly pointless and meaningless. Test can remain as a grandfathered format with all its elitism in place but T20 is the way forward.

ODI would be well served as the centerpiece through the World Cup and possibly a league with equal home/away games over a 2 year period. All bi lateral will be seperate to FTP at discretion of the 2 boards.

T20 should become the flag bearer with Olympic status and regional tournaments to supplement the domestic leagues.

I don't see a point for Ireland, Afghanistan etc to invest in the long format. The FTP cannot sustain new teams and they are better off building teams for the shorter format.

Just a reminder, typically when u start to defend tradition and purity it usually means you are trying to convince your self more so than the rising tide that is bringing on a change
You are talking as if you are icc member or something... we are cricket fans here not businessmen. I couldnt care less about the financial aspects, to me test cricket is much more enjoyable and the quality far superior to odi/ t20. Fans shouldnt have to worry about money when discussing the actual merit of a format.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:40 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
I guess my future is not too bright.
Buro bhai, i mean Shuja bhai
I post was more like a general comment.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old January 1, 2013, 07:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

those who don't enjoy test cricket must not be able to see the true test and battles that occur during the match. battle between batsman and bowler in a test match can be a lot more intense than any you'll see in a LOI. just look up some old matches on youtube, there is a particularly great video with allan donald bowling to steve waugh, and tons of video's showing batsmen battle against the WI greats and also imran, waqar and wasim. the problem is bowling quality has decreased since LOIs have become more popular. as you can see in t20s spinners most of the time just dart it in, happens a b it in ODIs now to because spinners have found that to be effective in the shorter formats, in tests however a spinner needs more flight, turn, and guile. test match cricket is for players and fans who enjoy a battle and like trying to out think an opponent.

all 3 formats have their place, just because you don't like one format as much as the others you shouldn't bad mouth them, a true cricket fan would know the differences between the formats and respect it.
Old January 2, 2013, 06:04 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
those who don't enjoy test cricket must not be able to see the true test and battles that occur during the match. battle between batsman and bowler in a test match can be a lot more intense than any you'll see in a LOI. just look up some old matches on youtube, there is a particularly great video with allan donald bowling to steve waugh, and tons of video's showing batsmen battle against the WI greats and also imran, waqar and wasim. the problem is bowling quality has decreased since LOIs have become more popular. as you can see in t20s spinners most of the time just dart it in, happens a b it in ODIs now to because spinners have found that to be effective in the shorter formats, in tests however a spinner needs more flight, turn, and guile. test match cricket is for players and fans who enjoy a battle and like trying to out think an opponent.

all 3 formats have their place, just because you don't like one format as much as the others you shouldn't bad mouth them, a true cricket fan would know the differences between the formats and respect it.
Great and timely post. Agreed wholeheartedly.
Old January 10, 2013, 12:43 PM
Banned

I dont why people make such silly statements regarding these matters. Each of these forms, Tests, ODIs and T20s have their own beauty.

Tests teaches you to always maintain your concentration, it tests one endurance, one's mental skill, their patience. Test is like a chess match, and not carrom, it is an art and only those who understand the sport fully will understand the beauty.

ODIs is another format which is shorter than tests making it more spectator friendly. This is one format which is like a mixture of both test and t20 cricket. This is the format where you get to know what changing of gears is all about, the very format where you can see everything from defensive cricket to slam and baam at the end of an innings.

T20s is an entertaining format, its rubbish to call it "Rubbish". T20 is one area which has given a new hope to the cricket world. People nowadays can enjoy a full t20 match without missing work and not to mention, a more exciting format where everything happens so quickly. T20 has brought cricket money, given oppurtunities for domestic cricketers to become famous as well.

Thx to T20, players like alfonso thomas, nannes, brad hodge are quite popular around the world. 10 years back no one cared about them....thats what t20 has done, its a good marketing oppurtunity for those involved. Fans love it, sponsors love it, cricketers getting exposure and money love it. No need to complain.