facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old December 14, 2012, 03:11 PM
meazz1's Avatar
meazz1 meazz1 is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: June 15, 2007
Location: GA, USA
Posts: 1,149

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
I disagree on any other option instead of Mushy.
Anam is a new comer who is trying to establish himself as an opener or a top order btsmn, giving him the gloves is not going to help.
Dhiman is hopeless to me.
Besides Mushy is doing a fine job.
So why fixing something which isn't broken?
Why do you think he is hopeless? From BC forum here, I got the idea that he is a better keeper than Mushy. A lot of us wanted Dhiman to take up keeping and Mushy to focus on batting only.
Did you base your opinion because what he had said in the ICL time?

I only saw one match he kept against AUS so I don't have much to go by here.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old December 14, 2012, 03:54 PM
simon's Avatar
simon simon is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 20, 2008
Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash
Posts: 19,459

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
Really? Aren't wicketkeepers supposed to hold on to catches?
apart from that T20 he didn't drop any throughout this series as far as I remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meazz1
Why do you think he is hopeless? From BC forum here, I got the idea that he is a better keeper than Mushy. A lot of us wanted Dhiman to take up keeping and Mushy to focus on batting only.
Did you base your opinion because what he had said in the ICL time?

I only saw one match he kept against AUS so I don't have much to go by here.
I saw him last time which was probably when Aus visited, he looked nervous & shaky.


Anyway,I think dropping one or two catches happens to every wicket keeper, just because it's Mushy we go overboard with it.
__________________
Tea20 is just not our cup of tea.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old December 14, 2012, 05:06 PM
Shaan's Avatar
Shaan Shaan is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 11, 2004
Location: somewhere in the GaLaXy
Favorite Player: Shk/Mus/Momi/Nas/Mas/Rub
Posts: 3,313

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
apart from that T20 he didn't drop any throughout this series as far as I remember.



I saw him last time which was probably when Aus visited, he looked nervous & shaky.


Anyway,I think dropping one or two catches happens to every wicket keeper, just because it's Mushy we go overboard with it.
yes I agree with you look at current India vs Eng test Dhoni and Prior both dropped easy catches.. so why we are complaining all the time about Rahim. Why not talking about his some good catches, some of them were at a time brilliant. I think Rahim is the best keeper what we have right now.
__________________
GO BANGLADESH GO!!!
------------------------------
Fav.Int.Players: B Lara/viv Ricahrds/Ponting/Ambrose/W.Akram/R.Hadlee
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old December 15, 2012, 05:21 PM
shuziburo's Avatar
shuziburo shuziburo is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: April 12, 2007
Location: Dhaka / NYC Metro Area
Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don
Posts: 9,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Agree with Mustafa bhai, Rahim should be persisted with for now. However, We should not throw away the idea of grooming another keeper. Jahurul + Anamul +Dhiman + Sohan should be properly groomed by the fielding coach. Anamul should keep in domestic/DPL/BPL/ Matches. we should consistently keep them in touch. Keeping is a specialized skill. if you lose it, that's it, you are no longer a keeper.

Rahim Alhamdulillah! has indeed improved on his keeping skills even if it be little since last couple of years. However, it is the lack of focus or sometimes distracted presence of mind which leads him to drop dollies(and many of our fielders as well.....)
I am no longer very confident about Jahurul. Rahim's keeping might have improved a little, but his keeping is way below the international standard, IMHO.
__________________
প্রথম বাংলাদেশ আমার শেষ বাংলাদেশ, জীবন বাংলাদেশ আমার মরন বাংলাদেশ।
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old December 15, 2012, 05:55 PM
BengaliPagol's Avatar
BengaliPagol BengaliPagol is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 4, 2012
Location: Wagga Wagga, NSW
Favorite Player: Luka Modric
Posts: 5,324

The reason i want Mushfiq to drop the gloves for tests is so he can entirely focus in batting at #4. Dont want him to get tired from keeping all day. We need Mushfiq to be solid up the order because frankly we do not have any other options.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old December 15, 2012, 07:02 PM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 8,253

in tests it's a very good idea for mushy to focus on batting imo, in LOIs he should probably still keep.
__________________
All Time Test XI: 1 Hobbs 2 B.Richards 3 Bradman 4 Pollock 5 V.Richards 6 Sobers 7 Gilchrist 8 Procter 9 Miller 10 Marshall 11 Warne

Last edited by Gowza; December 15, 2012 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old December 15, 2012, 08:58 PM
shuziburo's Avatar
shuziburo shuziburo is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: April 12, 2007
Location: Dhaka / NYC Metro Area
Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don
Posts: 9,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
apart from that T20 he didn't drop any throughout this series as far as I remember.

Anyway,I think dropping one or two catches happens to every wicket keeper, just because it's Mushy we go overboard with it.
If my memory serves me right, he dropped Bravo in the 4th ODI. He also allowed a number of bye and leg-bye fours that should have been stopped.

Everyone drops catches, but competent ones drop less. Mushfiqur drops more.
__________________
প্রথম বাংলাদেশ আমার শেষ বাংলাদেশ, জীবন বাংলাদেশ আমার মরন বাংলাদেশ।
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old December 15, 2012, 09:41 PM
betaar betaar is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 24, 2004
Location: Land of the free
Favorite Player: The big hearted ones
Posts: 2,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
The reason i want Mushfiq to drop the gloves for tests is so he can entirely focus in batting at #4. Dont want him to get tired from keeping all day. We need Mushfiq to be solid up the order because frankly we do not have any other options.
Who do you want to see keep in tests so his focus is not solely on batting at any position and not get tired? With our brittle bating line up do we have the luxury to take a keeper solely on his keeping ability even if we had such quality? Don't think so.

Should we make Anamul that work horse when he's yet to play his first test? Even after he plays a few more tests it won't be wise to give him the double duty before he finds his feet at the international level.

Fact of the matter is, we can complain all we want but there's none really better keeper/ batter package of a player out there for us to replace Mushy which is a sad thing.
__________________
In Darwin's eyes, Bangladeshi batsmen are still monkeys with cricket bats.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old December 15, 2012, 10:07 PM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 8,253

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
Who do you want to see keep in tests so his focus is not solely on batting at any position and not get tired? With our brittle bating line up do we have the luxury to take a keeper solely on his keeping ability even if we had such quality? Don't think so.

Should we make Anamul that work horse when he's yet to play his first test? Even after he plays a few more tests it won't be wise to give him the double duty before he finds his feet at the international level.

Fact of the matter is, we can complain all we want but there's none really better keeper/ batter package of a player out there for us to replace Mushy which is a sad thing.
dhiman is the best option if we want a keeper who isn't mushy but can also bat. he's done pretty well in the NCL and yes there is a big jump from NCL to test cricket but he's still a good option imo, he's quality with the gloves and has good batting potential. but the selectors always prefer to choose an extra batsman anyway and dhiman doesn't make it as one of the best 8 batsmen in BD therefore he doesn't get into the team. but as a keeper batsman package he's actually a good option imo.
__________________
All Time Test XI: 1 Hobbs 2 B.Richards 3 Bradman 4 Pollock 5 V.Richards 6 Sobers 7 Gilchrist 8 Procter 9 Miller 10 Marshall 11 Warne
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old December 15, 2012, 10:09 PM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 8,253

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
Just because this is being done does not make this right. However, the keepers in other national teams can keep. Mushfiqur Rahim cannot! Even PAK gave up on Kamran Akmal, who was in the same "class" as Mushy in keeping.
prior wasn't a terribly good keeper to begin with, but he's gotten a lot better. dhoni has always been a decent enough keeper, in tests kaul is possibly a better option for them. when prior came along england had the same bug as BD do, they gave away keeping ability for batting ability.
__________________
All Time Test XI: 1 Hobbs 2 B.Richards 3 Bradman 4 Pollock 5 V.Richards 6 Sobers 7 Gilchrist 8 Procter 9 Miller 10 Marshall 11 Warne
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old December 15, 2012, 10:10 PM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 8,253

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
The reason i want Mushfiq to drop the gloves for tests is so he can entirely focus in batting at #4. Dont want him to get tired from keeping all day. We need Mushfiq to be solid up the order because frankly we do not have any other options.
no better options with experience, but mominul and shuvagata are great prospects imo.
__________________
All Time Test XI: 1 Hobbs 2 B.Richards 3 Bradman 4 Pollock 5 V.Richards 6 Sobers 7 Gilchrist 8 Procter 9 Miller 10 Marshall 11 Warne
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old December 16, 2012, 01:10 PM
betaar betaar is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 24, 2004
Location: Land of the free
Favorite Player: The big hearted ones
Posts: 2,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
dhiman is the best option if we want a keeper who isn't mushy but can also bat. he's done pretty well in the NCL and yes there is a big jump from NCL to test cricket but he's still a good option imo, he's quality with the gloves and has good batting potential. but the selectors always prefer to choose an extra batsman anyway and dhiman doesn't make it as one of the best 8 batsmen in BD therefore he doesn't get into the team. but as a keeper batsman package he's actually a good option imo.
Just as you said, there's a huge gap in quality between NCL and International level and until I see someone personally cannot speak of their caliber.

But who do you see Dhiman's batsmanship can topple in the current batting line up in Test? Forget one day; I think for ODI Mushy is fine since prices are higher to pay in tests than ODI's when one makes a mistake so it would be advisable to have a better keeper in tests.

Tbh, I do not see Nayeem's place in any team of our teams. Though he played gem of a inning (I believe it was a fluke) in the first test. But he's very limited and can be exposed once opponent figures him out which is why he was out playing stupid shots match after match. I think he should be replaced with Anamul who proved that he can bat for a long time though he too is technically questionable but far superior to MOKKA (not Mecca) Nayeem.
__________________
In Darwin's eyes, Bangladeshi batsmen are still monkeys with cricket bats.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old December 16, 2012, 05:19 PM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 8,253

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
Just as you said, there's a huge gap in quality between NCL and International level and until I see someone personally cannot speak of their caliber.

But who do you see Dhiman's batsmanship can topple in the current batting line up in Test? Forget one day; I think for ODI Mushy is fine since prices are higher to pay in tests than ODI's when one makes a mistake so it would be advisable to have a better keeper in tests.

Tbh, I do not see Nayeem's place in any team of our teams. Though he played gem of a inning (I believe it was a fluke) in the first test. But he's very limited and can be exposed once opponent figures him out which is why he was out playing stupid shots match after match. I think he should be replaced with Anamul who proved that he can bat for a long time though he too is technically questionable but far superior to MOKKA (not Mecca) Nayeem.
well as i said i don't think dhiman is in the top 8 BD batsmen in the country thus he wouldn't topple any of the batsmen in the current line-up, but that's just on batting. i think with his keeping ability he maybe worth it over one of the batsmen in tests.
__________________
All Time Test XI: 1 Hobbs 2 B.Richards 3 Bradman 4 Pollock 5 V.Richards 6 Sobers 7 Gilchrist 8 Procter 9 Miller 10 Marshall 11 Warne
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old December 16, 2012, 05:50 PM
Tiger444's Avatar
Tiger444 Tiger444 is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 17, 2008
Location: Connecticut, USA
Favorite Player: All the BD players
Posts: 8,033

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
Just as you said, there's a huge gap in quality between NCL and International level and until I see someone personally cannot speak of their caliber.

But who do you see Dhiman's batsmanship can topple in the current batting line up in Test? Forget one day; I think for ODI Mushy is fine since prices are higher to pay in tests than ODI's when one makes a mistake so it would be advisable to have a better keeper in tests.

Tbh, I do not see Nayeem's place in any team of our teams. Though he played gem of a inning (I believe it was a fluke) in the first test. But he's very limited and can be exposed once opponent figures him out which is why he was out playing stupid shots match after match. I think he should be replaced with Anamul who proved that he can bat for a long time though he too is technically questionable but far superior to MOKKA (not Mecca) Nayeem.
That's the same mindset I feel the selectors have as well. They think, Dhiman as a package doesn't offer as much as Mushy which is why he continues to get overlooked.

Maybe we have to wait for Nurul Hasan to develop before we see Mushy taking off the gloves. Until then, it's unlikely it'll happen.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old December 16, 2012, 07:40 PM
shuziburo's Avatar
shuziburo shuziburo is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: April 12, 2007
Location: Dhaka / NYC Metro Area
Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don
Posts: 9,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
That's the same mindset I feel the selectors have as well. They think, Dhiman as a package doesn't offer as much as Mushy which is why he continues to get overlooked.

Maybe we have to wait for Nurul Hasan to develop before we see Mushy taking off the gloves. Until then, it's unlikely it'll happen.
You are right that the selectors are unlikely to replace Mushfiqur as keeper even if he drops a catch or two per match. Our best hope is someone new who can bat and keep. Let's see if Nurul Hasan can do this.
__________________
প্রথম বাংলাদেশ আমার শেষ বাংলাদেশ, জীবন বাংলাদেশ আমার মরন বাংলাদেশ।
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old December 16, 2012, 07:43 PM
shuziburo's Avatar
shuziburo shuziburo is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: April 12, 2007
Location: Dhaka / NYC Metro Area
Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don
Posts: 9,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
prior wasn't a terribly good keeper to begin with, but he's gotten a lot better. dhoni has always been a decent enough keeper, in tests kaul is possibly a better option for them. when prior came along england had the same bug as BD do, they gave away keeping ability for batting ability.
This is a relatively new phenomenon. Before, the keeper would be selected based on keeping. If they could bat, it was considered a plus. But, the thinking is flawed. One dropped catch can turn a match, as we saw in the T20.
__________________
প্রথম বাংলাদেশ আমার শেষ বাংলাদেশ, জীবন বাংলাদেশ আমার মরন বাংলাদেশ।
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old December 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 8,253

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
This is a relatively new phenomenon. Before, the keeper would be selected based on keeping. If they could bat, it was considered a plus. But, the thinking is flawed. One dropped catch can turn a match, as we saw in the T20.
i know it's relatively new, though it's been the regular thinking for probably a decade now.
__________________
All Time Test XI: 1 Hobbs 2 B.Richards 3 Bradman 4 Pollock 5 V.Richards 6 Sobers 7 Gilchrist 8 Procter 9 Miller 10 Marshall 11 Warne
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old December 16, 2012, 10:15 PM
al-Sagar's Avatar
al-Sagar al-Sagar is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: December 23, 2007
Location: The Quiet Place
Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose
Posts: 22,298

until mushfiq thinks he should be stop keeping and somebody else may be given a chance we wont see a new keeper.

or if sometimes mushy gets injured we might see a new keeper.

anyway the chances he missed of samuels again ZIA was tough one. even if he had coaught it it wouls have not been his credit, it would have been luck.

against spinners or slow medium pacers when a keeper stands up, he has very little time to react if there is thick edge and ball deviates. and it gets harder when the ball deviates opposte to the ball was spinning or drifting in as wicket keepers general body movement and momentum is towards the natural angle of the ball and as if the batsman will hit it and he would never need to gather the ball or the batsman will miss the ball and he will get the ball. but if there is an edge and it deviates the opposite way of the wicket keeprs momentum it very hard to shift momentum

anyway mushfiq has also missed some easier ones at times but i am not sure whether there is a better keeper at the moment in BD who is less prone to mistakes.

so all we can hope is mushfiq becomes lees prone to mistakes in future.
__________________
The OffStump
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old January 19, 2013, 12:38 PM
Nadim's Avatar
Nadim Nadim is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
 
Join Date: September 16, 2008
Location: Guantanamo
Favorite Player: Innocent Bird
Posts: 41,885

Those who said Dhiman needs be given chance need to watch him in the BPL. His keeping didn't look that great last year and today he was just worse than Mushy in his early days.

He has lost his keeping skills half of what he had when he played for BD 6 years ago.

Even Anamul made some silly mistake in last two games but he can be in the team as a batsman along (and will improve his wk skills with time just like mushy), but Dhiman can't, and nowadays nobody values a wicket keeper if they can't bat.
__________________
Kholi: I hated being on the bench and not playing
our gadhas: I love being on the bench as im getting paid anyway
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old January 20, 2013, 02:01 AM
Sohel's Avatar
Sohel Sohel is offline
Cricket Savant
 
Join Date: April 18, 2007
Location: Dhaka
Favorite Player: Nazimuddin
Posts: 35,231

^Saw Dhiman keep and bat a couple of years ago and he looked good enough to seem better if not too good for his surroundings. Didn't see him bat or keep last year so can't really comment on his game either way, but won't be surprised at all if it has declined somewhat. Our players tend to be oversensitive and lazy underachivers (AKA sissies) who can stay that way yet don't have scoring runs in casual and semi to non-competitive domestic cricket tragically called "FC: and "List A".

Having said all that, Sohan seems the more sustainable solution provided he doesn't decline before he's ready for the highest level.
__________________
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old January 20, 2013, 06:44 AM
mij mij is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: September 21, 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,480

Dhiman is not good option the its looks, for now.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old January 20, 2013, 08:00 AM
BengaliPagol's Avatar
BengaliPagol BengaliPagol is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 4, 2012
Location: Wagga Wagga, NSW
Favorite Player: Luka Modric
Posts: 5,324

Mushfiq has probably been the best keeper in BPL so far.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old January 20, 2013, 08:33 AM
Tiger Manc's Avatar
Tiger Manc Tiger Manc is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: November 2, 2009
Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo
Posts: 4,452

From what I've seen so far of all the Bangladeshi keepers, Mushy has been the best one. That take off Nannes was brilliant although it was a no ball so it didn't count. Anamul's looked shaky so far.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old January 20, 2013, 08:39 AM
BanCricFan's Avatar
BanCricFan BanCricFan is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: April 29, 2005
Favorite Player: Bangladesh
Posts: 9,345

Mushy is undoubtedly one of the better WK in world cricket right now. Funny what some armchair pundits vomits out here in BC!
__________________
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free" ~ Goethe
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old January 20, 2013, 08:54 AM
Equinox Equinox is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: May 25, 2009
Posts: 7,718

I was surprised by how ordinary Dhiman looked behind the stumps. His keeping has really deteriorated since I last saw him. And he seems to have gained a bit of weight as well. He was very lean a few years ago.

I have always said Bijoy is an ordinary keeper and that he is not better than Mushy. Those who watched him keep for the first time will have now realised this. Nurul Hasan might be a compact keeper but his batting is non-existent. He won't play international cricket if he can't bat.

Mushy is the best we got.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket