facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 17, 2016, 12:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jason Day

When you are feeling down and in a confused state of mind....whether it's the debate on the "rapid decline" of Test Cricket...or the fact that in the DPL that some batsmen/bowlers are scoring centuries quite easily...Speaking of centuries, ABDV, Kohli,Steve Smith--all have scored centuries in the ongoing IPL..Kohli has 3 of them and he's not finished yet...

The void in international cricket have taken yours truly to another dimension...things feel so surreal; perhaps it's watching too much of BC stalwart Zeeshan 'Gopal' Mahmud, reviewing books on his Youtube page...

This was a prelude to The Science of a Heartbreak:

Match Thread: Asia Cup Cricket, 2016 - 1st Match: Bangladesh vs. India at Mirpur - Feb 24, 2016 (19:30 local | 13:30 GMT)

POST #923

Source
Old May 28, 2016, 07:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Tabraiz Shamsi is in the Caribbean and looks like he's going to play in Guyana....and my crush is going to the Providence National Stadium to see him....
Old May 31, 2016, 09:13 AM
Cricket Legend

How cold does it have to be for a cricket match to be suspended?
Old June 2, 2016, 07:24 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Reality for a BD fan is "will I be alive till the next series ? "
Old June 3, 2016, 12:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Last weekend, I had the opportunity to talk briefly with an old gentleman from Bangladesh, who is a close relative of Papon, our BCB President.

Few things he said pretty much supports our assumptions:

1. Mustafiz is still pure and unspoiled at heart. And Papon loves and worries about him, no surprise there as the whole nation loves him.

2. Its the attitude and lack of hard working (in practice) which is preventing Nasir from coming back. He spend too much time in non-cricket related activities. Papon is seriously thinking about implementing new rules that will protect/prevent young players from non-cricket related distractions.

3. Anamul have similar problem but to a lesser extent, but technique and understanding the games situation is a concern. (Not sure its his own opinion or papon's)

4. Al-Amin was penalized for extended time (unofficially by not selecting him back) for his behavior. He was rude to BCB and senior players. He has some attitude and/or communication problem.

5. Papon loves Sakib's skillset and his contribution, but when Papon first came, he saw "I am bigger than the team" kind of attitude and papon felt something need to be done to address this bad trend in the team. He thinks the penalty followed by pardon sent the clear message as he believes Sakib is a smart man understood the message.

6. The chance of Ashraful coming back in the team is too slim. But Papon support Ashraful playing in the local league for the rest of his career.

7. When Papon first came, he felt that the concept of "team first" was lacking in the national team except for few players. He identified that as one of the problems and tried to rectify that with his follow-up actions.

8. He recognize corruption, politics and incompetence exists in BCB, but he is a realistic and not idealist. He tries his best to rectify some of the issues and move forward step by step, not trying to make wholesale changes.

Please note, there is no way for me to say if these are for fact or his interpretation of facts.
Old June 5, 2016, 09:03 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

^^ Thanks for sharing
Old June 5, 2016, 09:07 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Nice read about local cricket Coach Salahuddin!!

The coach the Tigers swear by

By - Bishwajit Roy
The Daily Star - Link

“When my father-in-law received my marriage proposal his first question as usual was; what does the boy do? It seemed like he was thunderstruck when he was told that the prospective bridegroom was a coach,” said Mohammad Salahuddin, a graduate from Jahangirnagar University who could not realise his dream of becoming a cricketer, but gradually gained a strong foothold in the coaching arena.

He may not be a big star in the country's cricket fraternity -- his name only came to the spotlight when a megastar like Shakib Al Hasan suddenly flew home from the Indian Premier League to seek Salahuddin's advice in order to get back his batting rhythm. But he is a man who is highly respected by the players. To the star players like Shakib, Tamim Iqbal, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mominul Haque and many others, he is their beloved 'Salahuddin sir'. In good or bad times they always trust his advice.

“My nine-year old son doesn't care because to him all the star players are his bhais (brothers) but my family and relatives do care a little bit (smile) when they see players like Shakib, Tamim and Mushfiq care for me,” he said in jest.

“Anyway I don't know why players trust me but I always try to give them honest advice and never hesitate to tell them the truth in order to help them correct their mistakes or flaws,” he continued.

One can't judge him only by his relationship with the big names, but he also has some success stories to his name.

“I had a six-year stint in domestic cricket as a player before injury finally ended my playing career. I joined BKSP as a part-time coach in 1997 and I had a record first-class first result from Patiala in 2000-2001, then I joined Victoria Sporting Club as a coach for the 2001-2002 season and we became champions. The next season we also became champions before finishing third in the third season.

“In the 2004 corporate cricket league my team, Arafat Apparels, became champions. I joined the national team as a fielding coach in 2005 and worked till 2010 in different capacities. Then I spent five years in Malaysia to coach a university team. I coached Sylhet Royals in the 2013 BPL, reaching the semifinal and last year I was the coach of champions Comilla Victorians. Now I am coaching Gazi Group Cricketers in the Dhaka Premier league. This is my story actually,” said the 42-year old coach, who also coached Singapore's national cricket team.

Salahuddin enjoys the work behind the scene but any appreciation still inspires him. “When I heard that BKSP's new DG advised the coaches -- referring to Shakib's sudden return from the IPL -- to follow my path, it encouraged me a lot.

“A coach can't create a player, but he can only manage a player. I follow this mantra,” he added.

A gleaming observation came from Salahuddin when he was asked to speak about the success story and future prospects of Bangladesh cricket.

“I don't think any significant changes came to our cricketing structure but a generation of cricketers completely changed our cricket. Shakib, Tamim, Mushfiq and some other players brought huge changes in the mentality of our cricketers. These are the players who were thinking big from the very beginning of their careers. They always assessed themselves according to world standards. Our cricketing culture is now such where you need not say to any player what is needed to reach the top level.

“I want to thank one person for making a big change in our cricket and he is none other than Richard McInnes with whom I had also worked. He completely changed the work ethic of the players,” he said.

He also gave a recent example of that attitude-changing generation. “Shakib has so far earned huge successes in his career but still he is hungry for more success. Just for your information he is planning to buy a bowling machine so that he can get more batting practice and improve his batting. It simply reflects his character.”

Salahuddin also aspires to uplift the standards and social status of local coaches.

“Once I asked my brother-in-law, who is now a doctor in Australia, why they had accepted my marriage proposal and he only said 'because I felt that you had the fire in you to fulfill your dreams'.”

Mohammad Salahuddin still loves to dream big. His immediate dream is to work in an academy to scout talent from all over the country.

Do his dreams include becoming a head coach of the Bangladesh national team? “Why not? Had anyone thought a few years back that one of our players would one day become the world's number one all-rounder?”
Old June 6, 2016, 12:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Sammy and Afridi are unhappy about the T20 Blast format...a format that allows one game per week to be played..it's a totally different turn of the T20 tournaments around the world. They are complaining that their form will be lost having to wait a week after their match to play another.

T20 players are becoming more vocal around the world and may be able to get their demands met, whatever that may be.,
Old June 11, 2016, 10:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Congratulations Lokesh Rahul for becoming the first Indian batsman to score a ODI century on debut
Old June 15, 2016, 12:19 PM
Cricket Legend

57 applicants for Indian head coaching job...Anil Kumble is interested.
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

The amount of Farque fanboy-love in this forum is surprising and very strange. When and how did that guy gain such popularity? The love is a bit misplaced. So is the hate.

That's one thing I liked about him. He was controversy-free, by Bangladeshi standards. Stayed under the radar and did his thing. But I'm not going to start 3-week long argument about it because he's gone.
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
The amount of Farque fanboy-love in this forum is surprising and very strange. When and how did that guy gain such popularity? The love is a bit misplaced. So is the hate.

That's one thing I liked about him. He was controversy-free, by Bangladeshi standards. Stayed under the radar and did his thing. But I'm not going to start 3-week long argument about it because he's gone.
Back in the day 2007 World cup when Bangladesh went to world cup to beat India and South Africa Faruque selected the final 15 to go to West Indies to play world cup...some of his selections were controversial(omission of veteran Khaled Masud Pilot) and including very very new players like Tamim, Mushfiqur Rahim....but it paid off so that's why people Respect Faruque a lot...during that time such selection policy in Bangladesh Cricket was very uncommon and brave...

Out of all the selectors, he got most of the calls right(Except for Jubair Hossain World cup 2015)
Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

That was a decade ago. We've had more US presidents since then. New era, new system, new brains and new ideas.