facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 14, 2014, 09:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default to all those geniuses who want to drop Nasir

To all you 6th day captains who want to drop Nasir because he's hogging the next VVS Laxman's rightful spot, I present Tamim Iqbal.

Most of you wanted him dropped too. And if we had we'd be 56-7 now. So to save time - because I know all you fickle folk will ask for the following guys to be dropped sooner rather than later:

No, you are not to drop a Tamim...talent is to be persisted with.
No, you are not to drop a Mominul...tenacity is to be persisted with.
No, you are not to drop a Taskin...raw pace must be persisted with.
No, you are not to drop a Nasir...clutch ability is to be persisted with.
Old September 14, 2014, 09:47 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

No, you are not to drop a Riyad...Mr Finisher is to be completed with.
Old September 14, 2014, 09:50 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
No, you are not to drop a Riyad...Mr Finisher is to be completed with.
We will see about that tomorrow. If he and Shafiul avoid the fo tomorrow he all be on the do not drop list. But he won't make this thread.
Old September 14, 2014, 10:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

With a player like Nasir, things definitely get more complicated. He's not a fringe player like Imrul or Shamsur. He's a key player in the batting lineup and is one of our best finishers.

The problem is his form has been so bad for so long that it's really hard to keep picking him. He hasn't scored a 50 in his last 22 innings in ODIs and Tests. That's a very long stretch. You could say well Tamim was struggling too but his failures this year were mostly in the T20I format. He did badly in the SL Test series and India ODI series but before that he was doing pretty well. On top of that our top order depth is so bad, there just isn't really an option to drop him. We have more competition in the middle order. So it's easier to drop Nasir then Tamim.

Obviously, reputation is important and as we all know, Nasir can play at this level but he also can't keep playing without performing. It's been a long time now since he's last performed. It's unfair for the likes of Naeem and Shabbir who weren't presented as many opportunities. Again I know it's Nasir but it doesn't give you a license to keep playing in the national team.

I hope he gets to play the 2nd A team match and try to get some of his form. If he gets picked, which is possible, for the A team and performs then he should be picked for the Zimbabwe series but if not, I'd drop him. Hate saying it because I'm a fan of Nasir, but it's time he delivers.
Old September 14, 2014, 10:32 PM
Cricket Legend

In any other Test playing country, even Tamim would have been dropped years ago. I understand in our sorry state we don't have the same luxury. But atleast make them fight for their spots in the team by considering some other option every now and then.
Old September 14, 2014, 10:40 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
In any other Test playing country, even Tamim would have been dropped years ago. I understand in our sorry state we don't have the same luxury. But atleast make them fight for their spots in the team by considering some other option every now and then.
Tamim's been pretty good. It's just this year he lost his way, again in the T20I's. I know he hasn't progressed the way we wanted him too but he's still much better than others

And that's why we're the 10th ranked side. The depth and quality just isn't there compared to the other countries.
Old September 15, 2014, 12:47 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

still need to make them fight otherwise complacency sets in, well even more because it seems the players are quite complacent anyway.
Old September 15, 2014, 03:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Nasir Hossain needs to be put aside from this format, not because we have better players, but for his own good. Continuous failure will lead him to a point where there is no return.

Right now he is not contributing to the team in any way. Absolute free rider. Never a good signal for existing or prospective players, when we keep giving players opportunity. Tamim critics can take a back seat, he's gotten some runs this tour.
Old September 15, 2014, 03:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

Can we not drop the whole team? Its very frustrating and embarrassing and waste of ICC's money for letting us play against proper cricketing nation. 10+ years, apart from few fluke wins here and there, there is not really anything to talk about. How much longer do we need to learn?
Old September 15, 2014, 03:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Nasir Hossain needs to be put aside from this format, not because we have better players, but for his own good. Continuous failure will lead him to a point where there is no return.

Right now he is not contributing to the team in any way. Absolute free rider. Never a good signal for existing or prospective players, when we keep giving players opportunity. Tamim critics can take a back seat, he's gotten some runs this tour.
which format?
Old September 15, 2014, 04:18 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

So much for those geniuses for saying Tamim gets picked because of his uncle Akram Khan.
The truth is we have only produced three international standard batsman, Tamim,Sakib and Mushy, (hopefully Mominul too)

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Old September 15, 2014, 04:32 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
So much for those geniuses for saying Tamim gets picked because of his uncle Akram Khan.
The truth is we have only produced three international standard batsman, Tamim,Sakib and Mushy, (hopefully Mominul too)

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
i'd also say hopefully anamul as well, 3 tons in 20 ODIs is a very good achievement. nasir potentially as well, he's actually been world class for more of his international career than he hasn't, we'll have to see if he can get back there and remain world class and i reckon he will get back there.
Old September 15, 2014, 06:17 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
And that's why we're the 10th ranked side.
We are 10th ranked side because ICC hasn't given test status to more nations. I know its not relevant to this thread's conversation but I couldn't resist.
Old September 15, 2014, 06:37 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

National team is not a place to regain form.

Kick anyone and everyone out. They are not 18 year olds.
Old September 15, 2014, 07:49 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
To all you 6th day captains who want to drop Nasir because he's hogging the next VVS Laxman's rightful spot, I present Tamim Iqbal.

Most of you wanted him dropped too. And if we had we'd be 56-7 now. So to save time - because I know all you fickle folk will ask for the following guys to be dropped sooner rather than later:

No, you are not to drop a Tamim...talent is to be persisted with.
No, you are not to drop a Mominul...tenacity is to be persisted with.
No, you are not to drop a Taskin...raw pace must be persisted with.
No, you are not to drop a Nasir...clutch ability is to be persisted with.
Disagree.

If its a young player new to the squad, then yes persist with them for at least 10-12 matches, so at the very least they can get a feel for international cricket.

However, when you have players who have been in the squad for ages, you have to drop them. Otherwise complacency creeps in.

If they are dropped it might just be the kick they need to push on and improve. If you keep playing them over and over again the odds are that they will fail over and over again.

That and you cant ignore good performances domestically just to give a certain player yet another chance. By constantly sticking with the same players even if they fail, isnt it pretty unfair on those who are performing at domestic and A level??
Old September 15, 2014, 08:11 AM
Cricket Sage

So which Laxman in the making should replace him? Naeem? Rock?
Old September 15, 2014, 08:12 AM
Cricket Savant

If we can play without SHAKIB, we can play without anyone.
Old September 15, 2014, 08:14 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
If we can play without SHAKIB, we can play without anyone.
So which Laxman? Shakib already has an assured spot in the XI and doesn't bat at Nadir's position anyways.
Old September 15, 2014, 08:21 AM
Cricket Guru

When Shakib comes back then he'll have to take a middle order spot and right now that looks like it's either Nasir or Hom but it'd be harsh to drop Hom after just 1 Test whereas Nasir has been failing forever.

And I would take Naeem over Nasir now. Naeem wasn't in much of a drought before he got dropped. He had a great A team tour in England where he outperformed Anamul and Mominul even. He was actually our highest scorer in that series. and then performed great in the NZ ODI series. Just a failure against SL and Afghanistan and boom he's out whereas Nasir continues to get chance after chance.
Old September 15, 2014, 08:23 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
So which Laxman? Shakib already has an assured spot in the XI and doesn't bat at Nadir's position anyways.
I would pick Naeem.

Last two series Nasir is totally out of form. 4, 29, 42, 2, 19, 1.
Old September 15, 2014, 08:28 AM
Cricket Legend

IMO Cant have BOTH Nasir and Mahmadullah playing on the same Test team and it might be better getting a proper bowler instead of one of their places.

However I hope we can all agree to kick Shamshur out of the team
Old September 15, 2014, 10:12 AM
First Class Cricketer

OP, why do you love a failure like Nasir so much ?
Old September 15, 2014, 10:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Same age old argument - talent over performance. Same camp that rooted for that garbage named Ashraful for years.
Old September 15, 2014, 01:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Same age old argument - talent over performance. Same camp that rooted for that garbage named Ashraful for years.
That proves the lack of batting depth that we have. Even to this very day, you can't definitively prove that Imrul and Shamsur are significantly better than Ash. Beyond Mushy, Mominul, Shakib, and Tamim there are no consistent run scorers against top flight teams. Clutch performance matters a lot (4th innings) and all of the above 4 come to the party in enough innings to state with reasonable confidence that they are our best bet. Nasir won us a fair share of games, and sure he might be out of form but getting fifties from your #7 should be a bonus, not a rule.
Old September 15, 2014, 02:02 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Amla

al-furq is right you drop these guys who you gonna bring in? those waiting on the wings are worse. What we need is hard competitive 4 day cricket for these players to learn their cricket and gain form rather than doing it on the international stage. All fans have been saying this for years, 15 years since our test status we still haven't got a good domestic league set up, will be it another 15 years till the BCB do anything? on the way things are going currently they are looking that way