facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 27, 2012, 07:34 PM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778
Default Change our National Anthem Rant

Ayo,

I always hated our national anthem composed by Tagore. I always believed it to be a weak link amongst many other weak links which debilitates the country. I always thought Bd should have a national anthem based on ancestral hubris or the war of liberation. Perhaps both. It should be ferocious, relentless and epic.

Our current song is too nature based. It makes us weak as a nation to have two whole lines in the anthem dedicated to a fruit. And what if I don't like mangoes? Did Tagore not think the Bengali people loved grapes as well? I'm ashamed to say that Pakistan has a way cooler national anthem than us, and India's one is marginally better as well. My favorite national anthem has got to be Kazakstan's one. Check it out if you can, greatly bellicose, deep roaring melody. Awesome stuff. Ours is just so blase. It's even possible to fall asleep in the middle of singing it, and has to go down as one of Tagore's worst compositions.

So what do we do now? I say it's time to replace our national anthem with something more ferocious and sacred. Let's not keep this tree hugging, whale kissing, piece of boring anthem we have right now. Let's go with the liberation theme, it's always a great instigator of emotions and will never fail to move us. We shall never have to yawn again in the middle of the anthem.

My replacement choice is "Karar Oi Louho Kopat". This one.
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDOzokCmM70&feature=related

Great beginning, plenty of guns, altogether a energetic crowd puller! Love it.

So what do y'all think should be our new national anthem?
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old April 27, 2012, 09:45 PM
Dilscoop Dilscoop is offline
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC
 
Join Date: March 22, 2010
Location: @Dilcommissioner
Posts: 10,768

The following comment can be applied as a sarcastic and a legit post. (How often does that happen.)

We should change our flag too. It's too dull.

(Sarcastic in context of this thread, legit because I've always felt that way.)
__________________
Always doing Zeeshan's threads a favor.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old April 27, 2012, 09:57 PM
oronnya oronnya is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: October 19, 2011
Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid
Posts: 3,711

Now I think we should change the name of our country too as it's hard and too long to pronounce ...

Peaceman bhai, there are so many things we don't like...for example lots of people doesn't like their name given by their parents but we still move on as that's our identity... we don't change our identity.. call us old school but we should accept some of these stuffs just the way it is..
__________________
"Shakib Al Hasan to Azhar Ali, OUT, a beauty from the Bangladeshi Superman! Shakib gets the runs, Shakib gets the wickets. " CI
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old April 27, 2012, 10:03 PM
oronnya oronnya is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: October 19, 2011
Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid
Posts: 3,711

Oh I don't like our national team jersey color as well but that's what best represents our country... so no room for a change ...
__________________
"Shakib Al Hasan to Azhar Ali, OUT, a beauty from the Bangladeshi Superman! Shakib gets the runs, Shakib gets the wickets. " CI
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old April 27, 2012, 10:41 PM
Dilscoop Dilscoop is offline
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC
 
Join Date: March 22, 2010
Location: @Dilcommissioner
Posts: 10,768

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronnya
Now I think we should change the name of our country too as it's hard and too long to pronounce ...

Peaceman bhai, there are so many things we don't like...for example lots of people doesn't like their name given by their parents but we still move on as that's our identity... we don't change our identity.. call us old school but we should accept some of these stuffs just the way it is..
I changed my goddamn given name as soon as I turned 18. Thank God America!
__________________
Always doing Zeeshan's threads a favor.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old April 28, 2012, 12:06 AM
Banglatiger84 Banglatiger84 is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 1, 2003
Posts: 2,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
Our current song is too nature based. It makes us weak as a nation to have two whole lines in the anthem dedicated to a fruit. And what if I don't like mangoes? Did Tagore not think the Bengali people loved grapes as well? I'm ashamed to say that Pakistan has a way cooler national anthem than us, and India's one is marginally better as well. My favorite national anthem has got to be Kazakstan's one. Check it out if you can, greatly bellicose, deep roaring melody. Awesome stuff. Ours is just so blase. It's even possible to fall asleep in the middle of singing it, and has to go down as one of Tagore's worst compositions.

So what do we do now? I say it's time to replace our national anthem with something more ferocious and sacred. Let's not keep this tree hugging, whale kissing, piece of boring anthem we have right now. Let's go with the liberation theme, it's always a great instigator of emotions and will never fail to move us. We shall never have to yawn again in the middle of the anthem.

Sung or orchestrated correctly, our anthem gets more praises than any of the other other subcontinental anthems. You do know that probably a quarter or more of Pakistanis have a hard time understanding the meaning of their anthem ?

If roaring melodies/aggressive tunes are your forte, there are many of them as good as or better than Kazakhstans: check out their neighbour Uzbekistan's, or better still Romania, the ever bloody La Marseillaise or the Turkish Istiklal Marsi.

The slowest anthem i have ever head is Taiwan's yet it is very effective. New Zealand has a similarly slow paced anthem to ours, talking of love, peace, praises and what not, yet its one of the most popular anthems in Rugby World.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old April 28, 2012, 12:21 AM
Zunaid Zunaid is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: January 22, 2004
Posts: 21,738

I am rather proud of Bangladesh's anthem - speaks of love for the motherland and evokes the beauty that is Bangladesh. I would rather chose this over any war mongering blood letting anachronistic and xenophobic diatribes set to music. Bangladesh's anthem in his serenity gives hope that the nation to can overcome it's violent present and achieve the calmness embodied in the anthem.

Let's face it - we are not going to war. We don't need a martial anthem.

Yuou want violent anthems? No, not written by Lil'Wayne.

I give you Algeria:

Quote:
"We swear by the lightning that destroys, By the streams of generous blood being shed"
"When we spoke, none listened to us, So we have taken the noise of gunpowder as our rhythm, And the sound of machine guns as our melody"

Peace is definitely out in that one.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old April 28, 2012, 01:29 AM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronnya
Peaceman bhai, there are so many things we don't like...for example lots of people doesn't like their name given by their parents but we still move on as that's our identity... we don't change our identity.. call us old school but we should accept some of these stuffs just the way it is..
Of course. And yet certain factions at certain periods of history can so easily tug away at our identity and change or at least bend it in some form forever. I'm just speculating whether we went wrong with Tagore's "Shonar Bangla". Secondly, I'm seeking suitable replacements. In reality, no Bangladeshi govt. will ever have the guts to change the national anthem for fear of the opposition making a big issue of it in the election.
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old April 28, 2012, 01:32 AM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I am rather proud of Bangladesh's anthem - speaks of love for the motherland and evokes the beauty that is Bangladesh. I would rather chose this over any war mongering blood letting anachronistic and xenophobic diatribes set to music. Bangladesh's anthem in his serenity gives hope that the nation to can overcome it's violent present and achieve the calmness embodied in the anthem.

Let's face it - we are not going to war. We don't need a martial anthem.

Yuou want violent anthems? No, not written by Lil'Wayne.

I give you Algeria:



Peace is definitely out in that one.
Hahaha, we are opposites in this regard. Very different preferences.
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old April 28, 2012, 01:34 AM
ammark's Avatar
ammark ammark is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 17, 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6,076

Puran pagole bhat pai na, notun pagoler amdani!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old April 28, 2012, 01:34 AM
Zunaid Zunaid is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: January 22, 2004
Posts: 21,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
Hahaha, we are opposites in this regard. Very different preferences.
Hmm... So you do like xenophobic diatribes set to music?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old April 28, 2012, 01:36 AM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
Sung or orchestrated correctly, our anthem gets more praises than any of the other other subcontinental anthems. You do know that probably a quarter or more of Pakistanis have a hard time understanding the meaning of their anthem ?

If roaring melodies/aggressive tunes are your forte, there are many of them as good as or better than Kazakhstans: check out their neighbour Uzbekistan's, or better still Romania, the ever bloody La Marseillaise or the Turkish Istiklal Marsi.

The slowest anthem i have ever head is Taiwan's yet it is very effective. New Zealand has a similarly slow paced anthem to ours, talking of love, peace, praises and what not, yet its one of the most popular anthems in Rugby World.

Great info. And no, I didn't know that about the Pakis.I guess we will just have to disagree as most of this stuff is subjective anyway. To me our anthem is dead with zero potential. A change is the way to go.
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old April 28, 2012, 01:38 AM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Puran pagole bhat pai na, notun pagoler amdani!
Oh, I got plenty of rice. This time I was hoping to add some soy sauce to it.

Apologies in advance, if I failed to construe the meaning of your phrase.
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old April 28, 2012, 01:42 AM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Hmm... So you do like xenophobic diatribes set to music?
Well....no, of course not. But I don't like crying over the beauty of banyan trees. I'm willing to meet you halfway though. Keep some of the nature stuff, and give me one stanza on the Mukti Bahini. I'll settle. Lol.
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old April 28, 2012, 01:48 AM
Zunaid Zunaid is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: January 22, 2004
Posts: 21,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
Well....no, of course not. But I don't like crying over the beauty of banyan trees. I'm willing to meet you halfway though. Keep some of the nature stuff, and give me one stanza on the Mukti Bahini. I'll settle. Lol.
Well - write a rap anthem that mixes the mango groves, the jele in his boat, and the rakhal chhele in the foggy morning along with the roar of a tiger, the march of the mukti bahinis, and the crunch of glass breaking during hartal.

I want you to say:



More seriously, it looks like, BC 10 - RH 0, so far.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old April 28, 2012, 01:48 AM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
The following comment can be applied as a sarcastic and a legit post. (How often does that happen.)

We should change our flag too. It's too dull.

(Sarcastic in context of this thread, legit because I've always felt that way.)
We should go back to our original flag, the one with the yellow map in the middle.
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old April 28, 2012, 02:00 AM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Well - write a rap anthem that mixes the mango groves, the jele in his boat, and the rakhal chhele in the foggy morning along with the roar of a tiger, the march of the mukti bahinis, and the crunch of glass breaking during hartal.

I want you to say:



More seriously, it looks like, BC 10 - RH 0, so far.


Sorry, that challenge is beyond me. Tipu couldn't pass all his competitive genes to me. Some of it got muddled through generations. I did make a song ( more like one big verse) addressing corruption in Bd though. In case you want to check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw-sW0TiU8A
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old April 28, 2012, 04:56 AM
Antora's Avatar
Antora Antora is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 28, 2007
Location: melbourne, Australia
Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Shakib
Posts: 8,815

I don't really mind our national anthem, talks about the beauty of Bangladesh
I find it interesting how Rabindranath wrote Bangladesh, India and Sri Lanka's anthem!
__________________
It feels better to lose in IPL, then it does to win.--- Mashrafe Bin Mortaza
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old April 28, 2012, 05:34 AM
Isnaad's Avatar
Isnaad Isnaad is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 18, 2008
Location: Dhaka Cantonment
Favorite Player: 75 69 29
Posts: 5,177

1. There is no point in ranting over something that is not happening.
2. Our national anthem is top-class. Enough said
__________________
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old April 28, 2012, 06:08 AM
BANFAN's Avatar
BANFAN BANFAN is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: March 26, 2007
Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam
Posts: 16,689

We don't have the word 'Bangladesh' in our National Anthem. Anyone knows of any other National Anthem that doesn't have the name of that country in their anthem?
__________________
I'm with Shahbag for fair punishment of all war criminals. Im with Shahbag to stand for fair trials of all Corruption, all murders and social injustices occurred over last 40 years. I'm for a secular, corruption free & Just society in Bangladesh. Spirit of '71
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old April 28, 2012, 06:30 AM
Zunaid Zunaid is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: January 22, 2004
Posts: 21,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
We don't have the word 'Bangladesh' in our National Anthem. Anyone knows of any other National Anthem that doesn't have the name of that country in their anthem?

Too many to name. I'll start with my own 'Star Spangled Banner'.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old April 28, 2012, 06:49 AM
Banglatiger84 Banglatiger84 is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 1, 2003
Posts: 2,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
We don't have the word 'Bangladesh' in our National Anthem. Anyone knows of any other National Anthem that doesn't have the name of that country in their anthem?
Japan' Kimgayo
Saudi Arabia
Israel's Haikvah
Turkey's Istiklal Marsi
and of course
the American Star Spangled Bannaer
and quite a few others
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old April 28, 2012, 06:52 AM
simon's Avatar
simon simon is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 20, 2008
Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash
Posts: 19,583

I never found our national anthem that catchy,I usually love our patriotic songs and sing alone sometimes but didn't happen with our anthem.
Anyway,I'd prefer this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52T1jNZcfDQ
__________________
Tea20 is just not our cup of tea.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old April 28, 2012, 07:13 AM
Rabz's Avatar
Rabz Rabz is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative
 
Join Date: February 28, 2005
Location: Here
Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket
Posts: 20,471

Not that this is an absolute measurement, but during the last Olympics at Beijing, The Guardian of UK published an article where the author named Bangladeshi national anthem 4th best in the world.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musi...nalanthemchart
__________________
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old April 28, 2012, 07:16 AM
zinatf's Avatar
zinatf zinatf is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 1, 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee
Posts: 4,663

ajke bole jatiyo shongit paltate...kalke bolbe ei desh bhallagchena...onno kono desh-er paltai feli.....
__________________
jitsi jitsi jitsi
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket