facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 18, 2015, 09:53 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default Tribute thread to Sangakkara

Farbace:
Quote:
"He watches videos of bowlers to work out when he should be making his movements. It takes a lot of thought. It takes a lot of understanding. He is a cricketing genius." ...
"Kumar taught me a very valuable coaching lesson," Farbrace said. "He is very specific about his left foot. It moves from middle and leg to middle and off. Never back and across, never forward - it never opens. I was watching him in the nets and concentrating more on the bowlers than him. But after about 10 balls he asked how his foot was looking. I told him it looked great, as he had been hitting the ball nicely.

"After the net, he took me to one side and said, 'Next time I ask you a question like that, be honest with me. Three times my foot went back and across towards leg stump, not the other way, and I don't want any false information.' That was a huge lesson for me. I should have said I hadn't been watching. I should have been honest. I learned so much from him. And I know the players around him learned from that level of professionalism."
Sangakkara averages 54.07 away from home, and Farbrace said it is his versatility that makes him a great cricketer. "I've seen him score 192 against Brett Lee at his quickest in Hobart and I've seen him score 150 on a turning pitch against the best spin bowlers. He had to adapt and adjust. That takes so much planning and ability. ...
"If I had to pick a batsman in world cricket to bat for my life I would pick Kumar every single time."
Mahela:
Quote:
The training and the mindset when he goes overseas, the way he prepared and the gameplans that he comes up with, was what I got from him. We have quite different techniques, but the way he formulated plans against certain bowlers on certain tracks helped me understand things a bit better. Kumar plays pace quite well. He's developed a very good technique against that. So it helped me to feed off him overseas and work out how to adjust my game.
"Let me put it straight. Kumar Sangakkara is the best batsman that Sri Lanka has ever produced. Aravinda de Silva will always be a sentimental favourite for most of the Sri Lankans including me, but numbers alone make Kumar a phenomenal achiever. More than 60 international centuries. Look at those staggering numbers. In any international sport, there are only a few who attained greatness in every aspect, whether for your performance on the field or your conduct off it. Kumar was one such player."
Virat Kohli:
Quote:
"I know for a fact that a lot of left-handers really look up to him, his technique and the way he's scored runs all around the world. His numbers speak for themselves. He's a wonderful human being as well. I've had quite a few chats with him. He's such a lovely person. I'm actually glad he's playing his last few Tests against us because it's a special occasion for us to be part of. He's such a legend of the game. As a young side it'll be an honour for us to give him that respect."
Murali:
Quote:
"Kumar has been a phenomenal player for Sri Lanka and had won a lot of matches for the country. It's sad that he's retiring but this day comes in every player's life. I think he chose the right time. To me, the 230 in the final of the Asian Test Championship in Lahore was his best innings."
Ian Chappel:
Quote:
"I admire Kumar Sangakkara, both the batsman and the man. That speech that he made at Lord's for the Cowdrey Lecture, it was not only a very intelligent speech, but a very brave one. It didn't surprise me because that's the way he's played his cricket and he is a deep thinker on the game and he's a man that I'd love to see involved in the game because cricket brains like his are much needed. As a batsman he was a terrific player. I loved watching him bat, I loved the way he played the horizontal bat shots, loved the way he played spinners…I hope that's not the finish of his contributions to the game of cricket."
T_E:
Quote:
Class.
Old August 18, 2015, 10:09 AM

A legend of world cricket - will be missed, specially for Sri Lanka.
Old August 18, 2015, 10:24 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

If I'm not wrong I think he has been even more consistent in last 2-3 years.
Specially his performance in ODIs has improved even more and his strike rate too.
I think it is safe to say he is the best left handed batsman from sub continent.

Good luck Sanga.
Old August 18, 2015, 10:26 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Circumstances mean he will by most almost always be put a tier below the likes of Lara and Tendulkar but I think he really was of that sort of pedigree. The game will miss him greatly as a player, hopefully his presence continues in some form.
Old August 18, 2015, 12:48 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Finished with an average car higher than Lara or Tendulkar or almost everyone of the modern era. He may be the present day Bradman in that sense.

He still has one Test left, right?
Old August 18, 2015, 03:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tyrion, Varyse, P.Baelish

Architect of one of the best stumping I have seen.

Cricket world cup 2007.

West indies vs. Sri Lanka. The stumping of Brian Charles Lara. Game changer.
Old August 18, 2015, 06:23 PM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Favorite Player: Mash

i remember his 300 vs us, scored his last 100 with tail enders, he was pissed when he was out after scoring 319..its 319 for gods sake not 19! he was still pissed for geting out..shows how much serious he was about his game..true legend
Old August 18, 2015, 07:15 PM
Test Cricketer

He will be missed, one of my favorite, apart from his batting I like his keeping style.
Old August 18, 2015, 09:03 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
i remember his 300 vs us, scored his last 100 with tail enders, he was pissed when he was out after scoring 319..its 319 for gods sake not 19! he was still pissed for geting out..shows how much serious he was about his game..true legend
He was pissed because of how easy those last 100 runs were. Part of Mushy's ploy to keep SL batting to ensure a draw (ploy worked btw). Mushy wanted to give him Lara's record.
Old August 18, 2015, 11:53 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
If I'm not wrong I think he has been even more consistent in last 2-3 years.
Specially his performance in ODIs has improved even more and his strike rate too.
I think it is safe to say he is the best left handed batsman from sub continent.

Good luck Sanga.
Just this year, in the WC, he scores 4 centuries in a row. Mind boggling when talking about getting even more consistent.

Leaving the game at the top!!! Right time.
Old August 18, 2015, 11:54 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
He still has one Test left, right?
I think that was his last.
Old August 19, 2015, 11:16 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Ravi Shastri told cricinfo that players like Sanga or Mahela didn't get the accolades they deserved but if they were Indians they would have been at the top of the tree.
Old August 20, 2015, 08:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Looks like he is playing in the second test as well. May be he plays the whole series? I don't know.
Old August 20, 2015, 10:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: rahul dravid

this is his last test
Old August 20, 2015, 10:59 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, Mushy, Tamim, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushik
this is his last test
Hope he scores a treple ton against India
Old August 20, 2015, 09:07 PM
BC Editorial Team

A legend. A man who has continued to maximize his god-given talent and belongs in the top batters list.
Old August 20, 2015, 09:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
Ravi Shastri told cricinfo that players like Sanga or Mahela didn't get the accolades they deserved but if they were Indians they would have been at the top of the tree.
They are underrated compared to Indians with the exact same credentials. Indian machine ownes and has access to a lot more world wide media than anyone else.
Old August 20, 2015, 11:26 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Thank God he is retiring. It was painful to watch him bat flawlessly and with such finesse against Bangladesh last few years.
Old August 21, 2015, 12:01 AM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Quote:
He was pissed because of how easy those last 100 runs were. Part of Mushy's ploy to keep SL batting to ensure a draw (ploy worked btw). Mushy wanted to give him Lara's record.
have u watched the match?, go watch in youtube..sanga scored that 300 on the 1st innings..it was the matches 1st innings, SL were 405/7..ended with 587..
Old August 21, 2015, 02:09 AM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Thank God he is retiring. It was painful to watch him bat flawlessly and with such finesse against Bangladesh last few years.
agree, now i want to see a test match vs SL
Old August 21, 2015, 04:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
LOL. Yah thank god he is retiring. Retirement of this type heroes will make way for our team. Any way Shankaara is a big cricketer never got the media attraction like Indians.
Old August 21, 2015, 04:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bhaat

Sanga well set for a triple century now
Old August 21, 2015, 04:55 AM
Club Cricketer

Well played. Determined grinding as always. Out to a good ball.
Old August 21, 2015, 06:47 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Lol, the facepalm is funny...to the novice it makes it look like you actually know what you're talking about. Keep up the bad work...
Tone down the aggression Al_Furqaan. You could have said all of this without the abuse
Old August 21, 2015, 07:37 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Take it easy folks