facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 21, 2018, 12:49 PM

Favorite Player: Mash
Default Story of ICC WC qualifiers and the two slaps to ICC that almost happened

Story of the first slap:-

When ICC announced the ICC WC qualifiers will feature the bottom two teams in the ODI ranking, everyone knew which two teams was most likely to be in the WC qualifier. at that time BD and ZIM were ranked number 9 and 10 in the ranking and was significantly weaker than the top 8 teams. It was almost a surety that BD and Zim would be the ones tussling it out with the associates.

ICC only cared about their cash cow and the teams(AUS,ENG,SA,NZ,PAK,SL,WI) ICC's cash cow was interested to play against. If there were no Champions trophy, ICC would have made it a 8 team WC. but since a 8 team WC dont make any sense because of the CT, ICC went with the next best thing. Make the bottom two teams(BD and ZIM) earn their WC spot playing with the associates. The 10 team WC make perfect sense to ICC. Their Cash cow gets to play vs all the "relevant" teams, and 2 practice matches(vs the teams from qualifiers). This in turn makes ICC the most amount of money.

ICC's plan took a big hit when BD started to perform in 2015. at the end it became a race between two teams to qualify straight for the WC. To ICC's surprise it was not Bangladesh who was one of the teams rather two of ICC's potential selected teams(WI,SL) to face their cash cow in the world cup.

Bangladesh gave ICC a first big slap in the right cheek when they sent WI to qualify for the WC in the qualifying tournament. ICC's plan took a big hindrance.

Story of the 2nd slap that almost happened:-

WI came to the qualifying tournament. ICC was not that worried. WI will easily qualify. WI being in the qualifying tournament only made sure that only one associate may enter the WC, where if BD was playing this qualifier, two associates might have made it. tbh in back of their head ICC was somewhat happy. instead of two now its sure that they will only have to deal with one associate in the WC. less insignificant matches, less loss of money for ICC.

Scotland almost..almost delivered the last big slap in ICC's other cheek by kicking WI out of the World Cup. alas rain had other Ideas. like how water brings comfort to the place where it burns, rain brought somewhat comfort to ICC's burning right cheek by taking WI to the World cup.

Greedy ICC wont extend the game beyond 10 teams as 2023 WC is also scheduled to be a 10 team, but deep down I hope someone with power in ICC will see what the lower teams are capable of doing if only given chance and think about cricket for once and not about just money and do the right thing to expand the 2023 world cup.

Old March 21, 2018, 12:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafiz, Tamim

Best slap, thump, kick and punch to the ICC came in 2007!
Old March 21, 2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
Best slap, thump, kick and punch to the ICC came in 2007!
that was something the did not plan or even think about could happen
Old March 21, 2018, 01:24 PM
Cricket Legend

It should be at least 12 teams
Old March 21, 2018, 01:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Good read.

But shouldn't we be cash cows for ICC as well? After Ind and Pk, don't we have the largest cricket fan base and peace in the country? Something is not adding up.

I don't mind following the money, it makes the world go round. But the money trail goes through us as well, so I don't understand.
Old March 21, 2018, 02:15 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

^we do. BD is certainly a cash cow now. But I think NW is referring that Ind-WI, Aus-WI will attract more money/sponsorship than Ind/BD (which I now doubt as we bring so much drama).

BD companies even sponsored those boundary boards at Nidahas trophy. I think I saw a fridge company and what's funny is that they didn't even bother to write in English. Just wrote in Bangla meaning their target audience is only Bangladeshis.

Imagine our independence trophy having SL sponsors. That will never happen. For such a tournament, forget about the stadium. Entire rokeya shoroni will be plastered with Walton/GP/BanglaLink and other deshi companies. With pic of Riyad and cheesy tag lines "noton projonmer muktir protik. egiye cholo"..
Old March 21, 2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
^we do. BD is certainly a cash cow now. But I think NW is referring that Ind-WI, Aus-WI will attract more money/sponsorship than Ind/BD (which I now doubt as we bring so much drama).

BD companies even sponsored those boundary boards at Nidahas trophy. I think I saw a fridge company and what's funny is that they didn't even bother to write in English. Just wrote in Bangla meaning their target audience is only Bangladeshis.

Imagine our independence trophy having SL sponsors. That will never happen. For such a tournament, forget about the stadium. Entire rokeya shoroni will be plastered with Walton/GP/BanglaLink and other deshi companies. With pic of Riyad and cheesy tag lines "noton projonmer muktir protik. egiye cholo"..
we were not this competitive when this plan of last two in the ranking goes to the qualifier was hatched. I was talking about the mindset of that time
Old March 21, 2018, 05:12 PM
ODI Cricketer

I was so hoping Scotland to knock WI out of the world cup, mighty WI from WC Qualifiers are touring India for a full ODI series this November, when was the last time Bangladesh played ODI series in India? I wish cricket got out of these biases for some nations. This Qualifier was set up to give the associates a chance to put either Bangladesh or Zimbabwe out ( the so called minnows even though nobody bothers to check the rankings) too bad we just put cold water over such plans.

Need to keep performing to show these people to give credit based on merit and not based on names.
Old March 21, 2018, 06:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
I can picture it now.
Old March 21, 2018, 07:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
I can picture it now.
Don't forget a reference/homage to the freedom fighters after winning.
Old March 21, 2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
Good read.

But shouldn't we be cash cows for ICC as well? After Ind and Pk, don't we have the largest cricket fan base and peace in the country? Something is not adding up.

I don't mind following the money, it makes the world go round. But the money trail goes through us as well, so I don't understand.
here are my 2 cents of us being cash cows. are we a cash cow?..sure we are but in a 2 team series or at best in Asia cup. WC is a different beast. walton cant compete with reliance and co in terms of money to be the WC sponsor. here Indian sponsors are the main thing.

to avg Indians beating BD might give opportunity to troll and have fun but still its a sure win game to them. just like zim is to us. we still don't have the brand value that WI brings even if we are stronger than WI. ask any normal Indian fan which team they want to see India play and most if not all will answer WI.

the sponsors will pay you for that.
Old March 21, 2018, 09:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

^ That is fascinating.

There needs to be a book called Crickonomics.
Old March 24, 2018, 09:33 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mash, Mushy

In the past most of the lesser associate members were fully consistent of expats from Australia, England, SA, subcontinent, etc. so I couldn't have cared less about their participation. But now we see more players from non-cricket playing background increasingly taking up the sport. Look at the PNG and Nepal teams for instance, and how cricket is gathering a strong following in those countries. A 10 team world cup is the equivalent of showing these teams the finger.

A 10 Team World Cup makes no sense, what is the point of having the 8-team Champions Trophy then? Why not make the World Cup a Big-3 tri-series while they are at it (and swim in $$$$). If there was greater unity between teams outside of the Big-3.

If Rugby can have a 20 Team World Cup, why can't cricket? There is similar disparity between skills and fanbase between World's #1 team (NZ) and World's number 10 (Japan/ Fiji), and #19 and #20 teams are equivalent to the Canadas and Kenyas of cricket.

Our current huge f###-off Round Robin system currently exists only to ensure that India plays at the very least the Semi Finals and to nullify the effect to an upset by an associate. ICC doctors the CWC (post-2007) to ensure India stays in the tournament as long as possible. This means broadcasters would be willing to pay big $$$ for the rights to broadcast, there is over a billion people watching from India alone.

Again I don't blame Indian fans and players, as many former and current players are in favour of the expansion of cricket to lesser countries, but only BCCI...
Old March 24, 2018, 09:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

I'd like to our English and Welsh fans (and fans all around the World, esp. India and the subcon) to boycott the World Cup. Let us show our anger and frustration and respond with our wallets, as ICC has continued to ignore our words.
Old March 24, 2018, 10:36 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon4567
I'd like to our English and Welsh fans (and fans all around the World, esp. India and the subcon) to boycott the World Cup. Let us show our anger and frustration and respond with our wallets, as ICC has continued to ignore our words.
Indians alone would provide the financial gains if there was ever a boycott.
Old March 25, 2018, 04:09 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
Indians alone would provide the financial gains if there was ever a boycott.
Yup, sadly even if the stadiums were completely empty, broadcasting/ sponsorship from India would bring ICC significantly more money. Hence ICC has been rigging the CWC since 2007 to make sure India (and Pakistan) can stay alive in the tournament for long, to the point it's disgusting to watch. I wouldn't watch cricket at all if Bangladesh wasn't so outlandishly bad in all other international sports.
Old March 25, 2018, 05:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Cricket governing board needs a revamp or form new one. As clearly ICC is incompetent and has been forever.
Old March 25, 2018, 05:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

looking at west indies i feel very bad for Scotland, west indies was my first cricket love since i started to follow cricket but now their team is crap, just went to lowest level.
Old March 25, 2018, 01:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon4567
Yup, sadly even if the stadiums were completely empty, broadcasting/ sponsorship from India would bring ICC significantly more money. Hence ICC has been rigging the CWC since 2007 to make sure India (and Pakistan) can stay alive in the tournament for long, to the point it's disgusting to watch. I wouldn't watch cricket at all if Bangladesh wasn't so outlandishly bad in all other international sports.
Pretty much this. I don't see how a neutral fan new to cricket can look at this farce and find it attractive. Cricket's just lucky to have found a captive audience in the subcon.
Old March 26, 2018, 12:40 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaan
looking at west indies i feel very bad for Scotland, west indies was my first cricket love since i started to follow cricket but now their team is crap, just went to lowest level.
You really have to appreciate the Scottish side though. This WI squad played consistent international cricket against the worlds strongest team both home and away leading up to the competition.

Wasn't so great for Ireland, Zimbabwe and Afghanistan, but they got a few matches too, albiet against lower ranked side.

And Scotland.. only played 4 matches in 5 months leading up to the CWCQ (that too against the PNG, UAE and Ireland). That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas_UK25
Cricket governing board needs a revamp or form new one. As clearly ICC is incompetent and has been forever.
#ProtectCricketFromICC
Old March 26, 2018, 07:14 AM
ODI Cricketer

https://www.change.org/p/icc-change-...s-in-2019-2023

Please consider signing this petition, it has already picked up 10,000+ signatures. Although chances are ICC would just turn a blind eye, given their horrible track record.
Old March 26, 2018, 08:36 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Quote:
Pretty much this. I don't see how a neutral fan new to cricket can look at this farce and find it attractive. Cricket's just lucky to have found a captive audience in the subcon.
very few sport are appealing if you a neutral fan. only soccer is an exception. I would still watch cricket if BD isn't there. maybe the big events like WC or some T20s. before BD got test status, most Bdeshis would watch Ind/Pak/SL games.
Old March 26, 2018, 08:37 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

These were the biggest slaps to ICC.

Bangladesh 192 for 5 (Saqibul 53, Mushfiqur 56*, Tamim 51) beat India 191 (Ganguly 66, Mortaza 4-38) by five wickets

We use to call Shakib, Saqibul, lol.
Old March 26, 2018, 02:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
very few sport are appealing if you a neutral fan. only soccer is an exception. I would still watch cricket if BD isn't there. maybe the big events like WC or some T20s. before BD got test status, most Bdeshis would watch Ind/Pak/SL games.
Yea same here. Supported SL and IND. But that's because cricket was already the number 1 sport in Bangladesh. For neutral fans, where cricket isn't the top sport, there's no way this sport will be appealing. What's exciting about countless meaningless bilaterals between countries that you have no attachment to?

Just look at the growth of basketball around the world. That's a sport that continues to be appealing for neutral fans. The way NBA packages and sells the product is a big reason why.
Old March 26, 2018, 03:34 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Quote:
Yea same here. Supported SL and IND. But that's because cricket was already the number 1 sport in Bangladesh. For neutral fans, where cricket isn't the top sport, there's no way this sport will be appealing. What's exciting about countless meaningless bilaterals between countries that you have no attachment to?

Just look at the growth of basketball around the world. That's a sport that continues to be appealing for neutral fans. The way NBA packages and sells the product is a big reason why.
only Soccer (footall) is the exception. Everyone basically enjoys and supports other teams passionately. Basketball maybe to a certain extent.

but to your point, I wouldn't watch any test/ODI that doesn't involve BD. Maybe will watch some highlights if its a great game. But let's say on weekend if I am home, I won't mind watching even Zim/Afg T20s.