facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 18, 2010, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Default Of Cameras and Photography

I bet a whole slew of aficionados will crawl out of the wood work now.... Come on down!

I will start this with a question:

I am planning to move up to a real dSLR camera and are looking at some basic entry level ones from Canon and Nikon.

Any experiences and comments are most welcome. As I eventually will graduate to the expensive desire for filters and lenses, keep that in mind. I am planning to use it both for close and distant photography - food photography as well as indoor/landscape photography (so a wider lens would be needed).

Ok - the cameras I am looking at right now are:

Canon - EOS 1000D or 500D or the Rebel series
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...as/slr_cameras

Nikon - D3000 or D5000
http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/...SLR/index.page

Not planning to spend more for the semi-pro or professional models.
Old September 18, 2010, 09:09 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Speaking of personal experiences, for voyeurism my samsung camera phone works just fine unless Russell Brand is being a spoilsport.
Old September 19, 2010, 07:24 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam

Thanks boss for the thread, I had been looking for the same thing for some time. Will watch this thread for some more info. I would Preffer to go for "the semi-pro or professional models"
I'm with Shahbag for fair punishment of all war criminals. Im with Shahbag to stand for fair trials of all Corruption, all murders and social injustices occurred over last 40 years. I'm for a secular, corruption free & Just society in Bangladesh. Spirit of '71

Last edited by BANFAN; September 20, 2010 at 01:38 AM..
Old September 19, 2010, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Thanks boss for the thread, I had been looking for the same thing for some time. Will watch this thread for some more info. I would freffer to go for "the semi-pro or professional models"
But then you are looking for $1500+; From my research, better to fork out the money on lenses - which can set you back thousands ... I would like to figure out whether my desire translates into talent before I fork out the big bucks - so, I am limiting myself to cameras in the $500 - $1000 range.

Here's a useful site:

http://photocritic.org/top-entry-level-dslr/
Old September 20, 2010, 05:03 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam

Thanks. The links were very useful.

But if you buy a low end camera, you miss a lots of features and are not compatible with all kinds of lenses. well it gives you the features and lenses that probably you won;t even use in life time, if you are not going into serious professional photography. So, that makes a lots of sense to keep the camera cost low and going for better lenses.

I tried to compare some high and low end cameras, differences are really not much except in compatibality of lenses and some advanced features. But the lense might get a issue with the low end cameras. Like you want to buy the best telephoto lens and it may not be copatible to your camera etc.

Cannon Compare:

I think

Nikon seems to have a wider variety of lenses than cannon but cannon lenses are in general cheaper. I am a cannon fan, but after reading all these I feel inclined to Nikon but my heart is clinging with cannon.

Nikor Lenses: http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/...ses/index.page

Cannon Lenses: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...ef_lens_lineup

I also like to have the Video in it, so from that point I think, I am getting convinced to go for 500D or above who has video options.

I have a question, do all the digital SLRs use SD cards for memory or have different recording media? Easy backing up & higher storage capacity will be my priority and I think i need more study for that and battery life is another issue that I couldn;t find yet.

As I understand, I may also like to go for saving as mcuh on the body. Getting convinced, makes sense. if the battery and back up issues are a bit clear I can decide models and then finally have to decide on the brand Cannon/Nkon, well that might be clear in the process.
I'm with Shahbag for fair punishment of all war criminals. Im with Shahbag to stand for fair trials of all Corruption, all murders and social injustices occurred over last 40 years. I'm for a secular, corruption free & Just society in Bangladesh. Spirit of '71

Last edited by BANFAN; September 21, 2010 at 12:20 AM..
Old September 20, 2010, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Canon vs Nikon

http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/canon-vs-nikon.html

A friend of mine, who is quite a photo bluff has used and tried both Canons and Nikons - in the end, he says they are similar and told me to buy the one that feels good in my hands...
Old September 20, 2010, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid

Nikon - D3000 or D5000

Doc: I think you would be on the right track with Canon. Rebel DSLR refuses to die. Take it from me. Nikon, on the other hand, has given problems with my friends. Problems with the electronics, firmwire etc, not easily fixable. Sigma DP2 (no frills) turned some heads for simplicity & performance. Rugged and might be good choice as a second camera for photo journos...
Old October 4, 2010, 10:08 AM
ODI Cricketer

did you end up buying one already? I am also trying to buy one, but very very confused (price vs feature)! I could shortlist the brand to canon though Dr brother, please share.
Old October 4, 2010, 01:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Quote:
I bet a whole slew of aficionados will crawl out of the wood work now.... Come on down!

I am planning to move up to a real dSLR camera and are looking at some basic entry level ones from Canon and Nikon.

Any experiences and comments are most welcome. As I eventually will graduate to the expensive desire for filters and lenses, keep that in mind. I am planning to use it both for close and distant photography - food photography as well as indoor/landscape photography (so a wider lens would be needed).

Nikon - D3000 or D5000

Nikon and Canon and really similar. Go to the store and see how they feel and go with that. From what I've heard canon has better lenses while Nikon has better bodies, but for our level those differences don't really matter.

If you want video go with a Canon T1i or T2i or Nikon D5000.

Whats your budget btw?
Old October 4, 2010, 02:07 PM
ODI Cricketer

Canon is the best if you can afford the price. For dSLR, it is the way to go. Keeping in mind, for the price of probably 70% you can get 95% performance from other brands such as Konica Minolta.

More importantly, its the lens that can make a whole lot of difference. Get at least two lances. One goes to say, 18mm to 70mm and another one 70mm to 300mm. Anything above 300mm are very expensive and usually requires its own tripod. Macro lens are preferred.

And don't forget to get some filters. They are cheap but can save the lens and add dimension to your clicks.
Old October 4, 2010, 02:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Ehsan you should really come out of your hibernation and post in this thread...
Old October 4, 2010, 04:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

For Canon camera body, i think you three choices... 7D, 60D and T2i. You need to decide what works for you... If I want to upgrade my XSi, most likely I will go for Canon 60D.

I though some of the reviews on Amazon are very detailed and helpful as well. Checks other reviews on Amazon for 60D as well...
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2FW89R...tag=&linkCode=

here are some other links:
http://thephoblographer.com/2010/08/...60d-t2i-or-7d/

Regarding Nikon verus Canon, I think there is not much difference... except some people like the interface of Nikon and canon is slightly cheaper.

Last edited by cricket_pagol; October 4, 2010 at 04:11 PM..
Old October 4, 2010, 04:20 PM
Cricket Legend

To add on, go with a cheaper body (less than $1500) and spend whatever you save on lenses and other stuff. A good lense can make a huge difference. And really, the extra you pay for higher end bodies results in features that you probably never use.

Personally I'd stick with something for less than $1000.

As for lens, to start out with the kit lens (18-55) is decent, however I reccommend to everyone to get a 50mm 1.8 prime lens. Theres no zoom but you can get AMAZING portraits. Great for nice family photos, and probably for food photos too (get that awesome blurry background). And the 50mm is cheap too ($100 to 150).
Old October 4, 2010, 05:39 PM
ODI Cricketer

I retract my fix on brand. I am finally going with Nikon D3100 with kit lens 18-55mm. I will prolly buy a prime lens (50/55mm with f<2).
Old October 4, 2010, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Excellent feedback here. Haven't bought one yet - still doing research. Might get one this weekend. Can someone educate me on Macro lenses?
Old October 4, 2010, 07:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mash, Alok, Ash, Sakib

So no one is interested in Sony here, eh ? Thats sad. I have a Sony DSC H50 [Bought 2 years ago so kinda old now]. I mean its pretty good. I dont do a lot of photography of anything else other than Nature and cars. I mean I am no pro photgrapher so this thing works perfectly for me. Its not heavy and pretty compact. I dont usually use other extra lenses but I do have a Tele Conversion lens cause I love to zoom into small insects on trees and stuff. Its really amazing, I have to say I love it

As for Boss, I think you should go with the Canon. Personally I have had better experience with Canons than Nikons. My uncle has a Nikon and it really was a big time flop. Now, its a very regular camera but still the battery life was really low. And also the focusing wasnt really great. He was so pissed that he later switched to a handycam with which you can take pics too [Sony]

My previous camera was a Canon a while back. It didnt really give me any pain. I was satisfied but a bit outdated. Go with one of the Rebels depending on your liking. They have a quite good reputation.
Old October 5, 2010, 08:46 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Excellent feedback here. Haven't bought one yet - still doing research. Might get one this weekend. Can someone educate me on Macro lenses?
For a digital lens, if it's macro it gives you the ability to take sharper picture of smaller objects. It comes handy for photography and usually, they do not compromise quality on the other end.
Old October 7, 2010, 01:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Macro lens are pretty much for close up pictures.

In macro photography the subject of the image is usually at the same size in real life, or magnified, in the image it self.

The focal length is usually above 60mm to a couple hundred.

Note on the lower on dslrs, there is a cropped sensor, so a 60mm lens is more like 100mm lens on the SLRs or on full frame (higher end) dslrs.
Old October 8, 2010, 05:37 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

ekhane eto sob pro cameraman der bhire ami ek nogonno camera user. ami jante chai how good a camera canon ixus 200is is ???
Old October 8, 2010, 03:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by offstump
ekhane eto sob pro cameraman der bhire ami ek nogonno camera user. ami jante chai how good a camera canon ixus 200is is ???
Lets say that since a professional would not be using an IXUS to take professional pictures, they shouldn't really know much about it! However, should they choose to use it to take everyday snaps, I am sure they'd find it just as capable as anything else at the same price point.
Old October 8, 2010, 03:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Quote:

Nikon - D3000 or D5000

If you are choosing Nikon go for the D3100 over D3000. It has a far better processing engine and would match the D7000 at up to ISO6400.

Any Canon system is cheaper when it comes to accessories and to be fair, the cheapest.

I assume that you are of my age or older. If that is the case, don't overlook the Pentax/Samsung or Sony DSLR bodies since they have in body stabilisation. It just works out far cheaper unless you intend to spend lots of money buying different lenses with stabilisation built in. The glass is rather more expensive when it comes to Sony unless you are happy to use second hand Minolta lenses. Pentax bodies would take any K mount lenses going back a while so again, second hand glass is a whole new world.

I am not entirely sure why you wish to upgrade to DSLR. If the optical viewfinder is something you can go without, don't overlook the Olympus Pen range, the Panasonic G series or the Sony NEX range. These are fun cameras that are more than capable in the right hand and would outperform the entry level DSLRs from Canon or Nikon in many instances if you were just looking at IQ.

I generally discourage people from buying DSLR cameras if it is a jump unless they are truly going to be shooting in semi-automated or manual mode. The kit lenses are generally awful in poor light. However, if you are prepared to spend some time learning he craft and don't mind carrying a tripod, any DSLR is a stunning tool brimming with possibilities.

There are other options in small sensor. The Samsung EX1 with it 1.8 lens is just stunningly good. The Canon's popular G series is a real joy to use. The Panasonic LX range is just so good. The Ricoh GR series is exceptional at middle distances. Add to that the Sigma with its foveon processor, large sensor and fixed lens is no slouch. Nothing beats the sigma in terms of colour and IQ.

There are also little gems that not many think about using as bridge cameras but could be more capable in the right hands. The Canon S range, the S90 or latest S95 with their f2 lenses are just as good as the G series but far cheaper.
Old October 8, 2010, 03:47 PM
ODI Cricketer

I finally went with Nikon D3100 + kit lens 18-55mm. I have also bought a 35mm (instead of 50mm) f1.8 prime lens - I am loving this lens already!

Thanks boss for opening this thread. The resources in this thread are great.
Old November 3, 2010, 12:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Anyone know if this camera is good beginners? My friend asked me to buy a camera for him but I don't have any idea about SLR cameras.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051_253353_-1
Old November 3, 2010, 04:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
Anyone know if this camera is good beginners? My friend asked me to buy a camera for him but I don't have any idea about SLR cameras.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051_253353_-1
Instead of 75-300mm lens, I would recommend buying the 55-250mm lens as it has better reviews.

If you are ready to increase the budget slightly, you get a much better deal... I would recommend this instead.
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051_253359_-1

Also, Amazon usually has good deal for canon DSLR.
Old November 3, 2010, 11:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Thanks CP bhai for your suggestions.