facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 25, 2015, 06:41 AM
Banned

Angry Associate batsmen are better than ours

Taking a look at the last 5 ODI outings of the Associate countries,
{
If runs near 100, if runs near 50 or crossed 50, if runs near 40
Includes warm-up matches
}

AFGHANISTAN
>
6 x 50
3 x 40

IRELAND
>
1 X 100
7 X 50
5 X 40

UAE
>
1 X 100
6 X 50
5 X 40

SCOTLAND
>
2 X 100
8 X 50
2 X 40

And, BD?
7 X 50
1 X 40

To graph it :

So, in our last 5 matches, none of our batsmen have been able to score a century, there is a severe lack of individual runs hitting the 40 or around 40 mark and worst of all, just three sixes hit by our batsmen in all those 5 matches!

It's a shame that we still don't know how to build and pace our innings and score big. It seems we are happy making 20-30 runs in a match and consider that an achievement! It's not acceptable that our bowling needs to keep on saving us in every single match. It's time our pathetic batsmen start taking responsibility.
Old February 25, 2015, 06:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Warm up matches dont count for anything.

If you really want to see how good they are, do average against top 10 teams (min qualification 5 innings) and see how bad it is.
Old February 25, 2015, 07:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla

Agree with Nafi 100%.

Add to this, Associate players do not handle the same level of super crazy fan expectation as our players do
Old February 25, 2015, 07:36 AM
Banned

I am afraid Nafi, your proposal is not feasible, simply because top teams do not play associates or play them once in a blue moon
Old February 25, 2015, 07:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Not surprising numbers, associate players often apply themselves a lot more than BD players, just that BD players often have more talent. Also the associate sides have really stepped up their games in the last 4 years especially Ireland, UAE and Afghanistan, but Scotland, Nepal and Netherlands are good teams as well.
Old February 25, 2015, 08:03 AM
Club Cricketer

The overall effort and performance by our batsman is pathetic compared to the top teams. The associates have put on better performanced in the warm up matches and the WC. For BD the talent is there, but the mental aspect is still lacking. 15 years after gaining the test status, we should be doing better. These are pros, so handling the expectations and fan pressure is part of the job. If expectations and pressure were such a deterrent, than all teams in major sports would fail every time.
Old February 25, 2015, 08:07 AM
Banned for 1 month

Don't underestimate the power of associate batsmen.
Old February 25, 2015, 08:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Imran Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
Not surprising numbers, associate players often apply themselves a lot more than BD players, just that BD players often have more talent. Also the associate sides have really stepped up their games in the last 4 years especially Ireland, UAE and Afghanistan, but Scotland, Nepal and Netherlands are good teams as well.

Couldn't have agreed more.

I don't blame the BD lads for their laziness (well, I do but you know what I mean) when our board is full of incompetent and corrupt individuals. It's our culture. Take Khaled Mahmud the Sleeping Hippo, for example. Here is a "manager" who isn't even remotely bothered about dozing off in front of the global audience of a MAJOR global sports event. That tells you the story. He is also known to be a bad influence for the young cricketers. Then you have flying board president, media exec and directors wining and dining in Oz while standby cricketers like Jubair or Shafiul not sent with team on the ground of cost implication.

Sometime, I wish we were struck off from the full members list so that these clowns or parasites won't be able to embezzle so much money from the ICC, tv and sponsorship deals. With the fanbase and passion behind them Bangladesh should have been a real force by now.
Old February 25, 2015, 08:48 AM
Club Cricketer

We only have shakib and Tamim, apart from this two none of them are reliable.
Old February 25, 2015, 08:52 AM
Cricket Guru

I agree Tamim is The epitome of reliability and professionalism in Bangladesh while Mushy, Riyad or a Mashrafee are bone lazy.
Old February 25, 2015, 08:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

Check this

সংযুক্ত আরব আমিরাতের অধিকাংশ খেলোয়াড় দেশে থাকলে শুধু রাতেই অনুশীলন করেন। চাকরিবাকরি, ব্যবসা-বাণিজ্য সামলে দিনে যে তাঁরা সময় করে উঠতে পারেন না! শাইমান আনোয়ারের অবস্থাও তা-ই। কাজ করেন দুবাইয়ের একটি শিপিং প্রতিষ্ঠানে। কাজের জন্য অনুশীলন করার সুযোগ পান কেবল রাতে। তাও প্রতিদিন নয়, সাপ্তাহিক ছুটিতে। সেই শাইমান কিনা ঠাঁই করে নিলেন রেকর্ডের পাতায়!
আজ অস্ট্রেলিয়ার অন্যতম বিখ্যাত মাঠ গ্যাবায় ৬ নম্বরে নেমে আয়ারল্যান্ডের বিপক্ষে খেললেন ৮৩ বলে ১০৬ রানের দুর্দান্ত এক ইনিংস। সংযুক্ত আরব আমিরাতের পক্ষে বিশ্বকাপে এই প্রথম কোনো ব্যাটসম্যান পেলেন সেঞ্চুরি। সেঞ্চুরিটা অবশ্য এসেছে ৭৯ বলে। দারুণ ইনিংসটি সাজিয়েছিলেন ১০ চার ও ১ ছয়ে। বাউন্ডারি দেখে মনে হচ্ছে ছক্কার প্রতি বুঝি আগ্রহ কম শাইমানের! কিন্তু উপসাগরীয় লিগে তিনি কিন্তু ‘ছক্কা শাইমান’ বলেই পরিচিত! ৩৫ বছর বয়সী এ ডানহাতি যে উড়িয়ে মারতে বেশি ভালোবাসেন!

and from all of our Super professional player not a single player have scored a century for us(in wc).
Old February 25, 2015, 09:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han.has
We only have shakib and Tamim, apart from this two none of them are reliable.
Tamim is reliable!!!
Since when?
Old February 25, 2015, 09:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

I am wondering how much is actually a psychological factor rather than a lack of talent. I don't quite know how it could be made possible but Bangladesh needs to play more against the best teams. When growing up as a sportsman, one gets better by playing better opponents. One learns about the psychological side to the game by competing against the very best. Once a sportsman has reached maturity, it is about knowing one's limitations and using that to the best advantage. There have been some fantastic batsmen or bowlers over the years who have scored more runs and taken more wickets than their more talented counterparts.

Good or bad performance against the associate nations, however good these teams maybe is not going to take us far. What may have helped during this world cup would have been a longer conditioning leading up to the tournament. Playing in local pitches allows a player to get know one's mind and body a little better under these specific conditions.

It would be interesting to find out what the forum readers think about the Bangladeshi players' general level of technique compared to the associate nations. Obviously, you are watching the team a lot more and my assumptions are based on the precious few international matches I get to see these days.
Old February 25, 2015, 10:04 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Tamim Shakib Mushy all are very capable of scoring centuries and have scored big hundreds in test cricket. I think in ODIs their approach is a bit too frenetic and all three of them lose concentration after scoring fifty. Tamim and Shakib keeps taking unnecessary risks, playing premeditated shots and most times get themselves out. Mushy mostly has to take risks because he bats lower down. In this tournament we badly need the top 5 to score bulk of the runs. Lets see if we can do it vs Sri Lanka
Old February 25, 2015, 11:48 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Tamim Shakib Mushy all are very capable of scoring centuries and have scored big hundreds in test cricket. I think in ODIs their approach is a bit too frenetic and all three of them lose concentration after scoring fifty. Tamim and Shakib keeps taking unnecessary risks, playing premeditated shots and most times get themselves out. Mushy mostly has to take risks because he bats lower down. In this tournament we badly need the top 5 to score bulk of the runs. Lets see if we can do it vs Sri Lanka
Could not have said it better.
They lack discipline, patience and confidence. I think bulk of the blame lies on the BCB and our cricket infrastructure for not nurturing and developing those qualities at an early age. If you look at some of the best players in the world, its not all talent that got them there. The talent had to be nurtured, along with the right guidance and conditioning.

I don't think we have a good enough infrastructure,we are not providing the right nutrition at an early age, not instilling discipline, not giving them enough exposure to grow confidence, the list goes on. All these need to be done at an early age. I believe in the saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Nutrition, guidance, and conditioning at an early age is the key. There are many other factors such as culture, diet, education, etc. that also play a role, but we have very little control over them.

Maybe we need to take a closer look at what the Lankans are doing. I have played against some of them in college in the US, and most of them had very good technique. How do they do it ?
Old February 25, 2015, 11:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Lack of application, hard work and nurture.

Our players need to step up, grab the bulls by the form.
Old February 25, 2015, 12:04 PM
First Class Cricketer

Our players are full professionals, but the professionalism isn't there yet unfortunately. When I see the Indian batsmen, you can tell how hard they've worked to get to where they are, with respect to how much they practice and maintain their fitness levels. Obviously a lot of them have also been nurtured at professional cricketing academies. With our players, it seems they actually start to learn about the game only when they make it to the national level. Before that they are just talented players who have no idea how to apply that talent in a match situation.

Just look at Tamim, he doesn't run much and he still has that huge belly despite being a professional athlete. Shakib is starting to get one as well. The problem is that these guys don't have to work very hard to stay in the team, so they do the bare minimums and manage to stay on.
Old February 25, 2015, 12:08 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

No. End of story!

Only thing our batters lack is mental approach to different situation. IMHO bd batters are far more superior to associates.
Old February 25, 2015, 12:40 PM
Cricket Guru

The fact that you even have to rebut the notion that tells you the story, Nadim. Our batters should have been light years ahead of the likes of Anwar, Stirling, Porterfield, Joyce, Balbirnie, Wilson and the O' Briens. But, they are not. Except, Mushy and Shakib most are not any better than them -if one to be brutally honest. I don't include the youngsters, of course.
Old February 25, 2015, 12:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

^that's such a general observation. where is your nuance bhai? This one Anwar scores a century and all of a sudden are being compared with our batsmen. Anyone can have a good day and our SN even scored a century against a full strength Australian team. So now he should be compared to Tendulkar and Laxman?

The sample size of 5 matches (that includes warmup) really tells us nothing. I agree with Nadim that our batter are much much better than any of UAE, Scotland, Afg ones. IRE is the best associate team and some of their batsmen are almost on par with test playing nations.

Associate batsmen are not better than ours. Yes there are few exceptional batsmen (Sterling, Ryan Ten Dosc., KOBrien etc.) but overall, in general, the associate batsmen are not better than ours.
Old February 25, 2015, 12:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Would you not be the first in line to criticize if Tamim, Anamul or even Riyad scores a century like Samuels. hovering around 50% SR. Is that acceptable to you (includes most BC members)?
Old February 25, 2015, 01:10 PM
Cricket Guru

Marlon played the perfect supporting innings yesterday. When you have Gayle hitting 4s and 6s for fun no need for the heroics. Just turn the strikes over and let the big man do all the works. That's what Marlon exactly did AND he ended up with a ton with a very healthy SR, too. The thing is Marlon is brutal enough to go toe to toe with Gayle and be a hero. But, he did not. Our batters would be wild swinging when an established batter is on form on the other end or hog the strikes or be blocking. Don't get me even started!
Old February 25, 2015, 02:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigersMeow
Nutrition, guidance, and conditioning at an early age is the key. There are many other factors such as culture, diet, education, etc. that also play a role, but we have very little control over them.

Maybe we need to take a closer look at what the Lankans are doing. I have played against some of them in college in the US, and most of them had very good technique. How do they do it ?
You mentioned nutrition and diet a couple of times in your response. Would you say that perhaps an unprivileged upbringing puts them at a disadvantage? So, talented poor cricketers from poor families are not getting the right nutrients as a result of their poverty?

If the above is correct then I think we have wait rather a long time to see any discernible improvement. As the economic prospects of the entire population improve, hopefully, it would improve the team?

If it is a case of not following the right diet after they have started to earn enough by playing professional cricket or through sponsorship, we have another issue. I seem to recall that former Pakistani cricketers Inzamamul Haq used to feast on lamb biryani every other day? So much so that he was taunted as 'aloo' in India and wherever there was an Indian diaspora. He was quite a useful cricketer despite his diet?
Old February 25, 2015, 02:47 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: maxwel,miler-ryder-warner

BC fans dont like slow strike rate

BCB dont like Slow strike rate either.
Old February 25, 2015, 02:48 PM
Club Cricketer

We just cannot work hard. If you have an honest work ethic, you will improve. We Bangalis lack it.