facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old May 21, 2008, 11:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008...duling_bl.html

Old May 22, 2008, 07:20 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin
Smile St. Nick, The Best SCF Pastry Chef EVER !

Heard it AWL before, and no, still not worried.

There's nothing arrogant or "false" about this sense of security, and all the "wishful thinking" belongs to the Pens this year.

Why ?

Because we have the best of the best. 38 and still going strong. I have a feeling he'll fare better than Cheli, THE ONLY 40+ DEFENSEMAN WE HAVE, by the time he's 46. That said, Cheli may have slowed down a tad, and can't log 30 + minutes on the ice anymore, but underestimating the experience of a champion is the type of typical folly that makes you eat that humble-pie OVER AND OVER AGAIN ...

Here's the guy who'll make you cook your own humble-pie according HIS recipe, and have you eat it ...

Quote:
Winning is the only thing for Lidstrom
Larry Wigge | NHL.com Columnist May 21, 2008, 9:00 AM EDT

With that same delightfully determined and understated defensive mindset that has helped Nicklas Lidstrom win five Norris trophies as the best defenseman in the world, one probably wouldn't be surprised to hear that he didn't want to commit to answering the question of how it would feel to become the first European captain to lift the Stanley Cup. But his face did swell with pride when the question was raised.

Lidstrom has lifted Lord Stanley's silver chalice in victory in 1997, 1998 and 2002, but he didn't become captain until 2006, when he was 36 and he inherited the "C" from Steve Yzerman, who captained the Wings for 20 seasons.

"Sure, it would be something special ... to be the first," Lidstrom said. "But ..."

There was another defensive pause at that moment while he tried to find the right words to describe what this honor truly would mean to him.

"I know what it's like to raise the Cup," he said. "It's the biggest highlight of our career. It's the culmination of a dream that started when you were a kid. But I don't want to win the Stanley Cup just to be the first European captain. I want to get that feeling of being a champion back again."

Lidstrom has been a champion since he and Larry Murphy combined to neutralize the Philadelphia Flyers' "Legion of Doom" line (Eric Lindros, John LeClair and Mikael Renberg) in 1997 for Detroit's first Stanley Cup since 1955. And he'll remain a champion until he decides to retire.

Asked if he had a speech ready for this year’s Stanley Cup Final, he got a little embarrassed, feeling that his leadership is more by example than with words.

"I'll probably steal something from Stevie," Lidstrom said with a laugh. "It's all about playing with confidence. In 2002 that was Stevie's message. If you're hesitant, or unsure about yourself, guys can tell right away and you won't get it done. But if you're confident, it shows your teammates that you're ready, it shows the other team that you're not going away. You need to come out with that same confidence, that fire that got you there ... and the whole team will feed off that.

"What I remember most is that Steve would stand up and say something at the right time to motivate the team. But what I remember most is after he did that, he would be the first guy on the ice to make a big play."

"Nick doesn't have to say anything," said Chris Chelios, who has served as captain in Montreal and Chicago and won three Norris trophies himself. "He's the perfect player. He's the best partner I've ever had."

Wait just a minute – Chelios says Lidstrom is the best partner he's ever had? Better than Larry Robinson?

"Yeah," said Chelios. "Nick just has that competitive edge inside him like a Larry Robinson, a Ray Bourque or an Al MacInnis. He doesn't need to scare opponents with a fiery look on his face. He scares them with the fact that he’s so consistent ... never out of position, on offense or defense."

Lidstrom thinks the game better than most. His instincts always are right-on. He's thoughtful, intelligent and always under control, whether he's staring down a power forward like Jaromir Jagr or Todd Bertuzzi or a speedster like Marian Gaborik or Mike Modano, or stepping up into a play and scoring or setting up an important goal.

"I try to play my position right all the time," said Lidstrom. "In today's game you have to be quick on your feet to adjust to the new rules. It's all about timing, awareness and quickness."

"The secret to Nick Lidstrom's success is that he has no weaknesses," Modano said. "It doesn't matter if he's trying to defend a power forward or a fast, quick skater with skill. He'll shut you down."

"I can honestly tell you since I've been here, I've never seen anyone beat him 1-on-1 in a game or in a practice," said center Henrik Zetterberg, who's beaten a lot of defensemen in his five seasons in the NHL. "I've tried myself. It's amazing, really. If you don't watch him closely, you actually don't notice him much watching a game. It's always just basic stuff, but he does it so well."

"He's got that uncanny knack of reading a play and being right almost every time," Red Wings General Manager Ken Holland said. "His skills are impeccable, offensively and defensively. And that's important in today's game, where flow and transition are essential."

Though Lidstrom was just a third-round pick (No. 53 overall) in the 1989 NHL Entry Draft, Holland said the Red Wings never underestimated the quality of his favorite defenseman.
"He's 38 now and we have him under contract for the next two seasons, but I hope he can see that Chris Chelios is still going strong at 46 and Mark Messier and Ray Bourque and others were stars in this League into their 40s." [/u]

It was at that point Holland remembered a long summer he and the Wings had in 1999, when Lidstrom went back to Sweden and debated continuing to live in Detroit and play for the Red Wings, or move his young family back to Vasteras, Sweden.

Lidstrom wants his sons Kevin, 5, and Adam, 3, to be raised with the same Swedish values as he and his wife, Annika, grew up with. They were worried Kevin, who was about to enter kindergarten, already was mixing up Swedish and English words and phrases.

"We didn't have any problems giving all of this up and moving back to Sweden," Lidstrom recalled recently, nearly nine years afterward. "But I felt we owed it to ourselves to investigate the situation from all angles.

"We were talking to some friends in Sweden that used to live here in Detroit. They moved back to Sweden, and they had kids older than ours. After talking with them and having them explain that their kids didn't have any problems getting used to things in Sweden, we decided to stay here. We're happy with the decision that we made."

"It was a big deal back then," Holland said. "I had several of the players tell me they couldn't lose Nick. One of them even suggested I have Mr. Ilitch (Wings Owner Mike Ilitch) buy the entire Swedish Elite League to make sure Nick would stay, the same way the Montreal Canadiens did to finally get Jean Beliveau to play for the Canadiens."

Swedish pride always will be paramount to Lidstrom and his family. It was a tough decision that came out in favor of Detroit and the NHL in the end.

Jan-Erik Lidstrom, Nick's father, didn't play hockey and push his son into the game back in Avesta, where Nick grew up. He was the chief of the Swedish highway system. His mother, Gerd, worked in the school cafeteria. His three sisters used to push him around. And, no, there was no uncle or brother to show him the way to the NHL.

"No hockey genes," Lidstrom said. "Just a group of great friends in the neighborhood that loved to play hockey and taught me to be so competitive and never accept losing as an alternative."

He started watching the NHL to follow Swedish legend Borje Salming. He'd sit up late at night to scout the techniques of Robinson, Bourque, Paul Coffey, MacInnis and, yes, Chelios.

"The game means so much to me," Lidstrom said. "It's more than an occupation. It's my hobby. I love what I do every day."

It was at that time that I wondered what drives him. Lidstrom's eyes fixed on me when I asked about his hunger to win.

"I remember Paul Coffey once saying that after he once won the Stanley Cup, he never wanted to give it up," Lidstrom explained. "I even remember hearing him say that when his team didn't win the following year. He said he felt like someone had broken into his house and had stolen his most prized possession. That's how I feel, too.

"It's been six years since we won the Cup. That's too long."

Only champions like Lidstrom can feel like they've underachieved when they don't have that little ceremony of raising a silver chalice into the air in victory.

LINK
Do as much underestimating as you want Pens fans, including our depraved "third-wheelers" from the NORTH, it actually works in our favor and that suits us just fine.

With St. Nick at the helm, the only silverware Crosby and company would be holding up after all is said and done, 4-5-6-7 doesn’t matter after how many games, is the set of fork and knives you’ll be eating that humble pie with.

Classy restaurants require you to bus before giving you the lunch shift in about 5 years or so.

Stale Maraschino cherries and rotten octopi with a bit of genuine, patented and copywritten Motor City @$$-Whoopin’ on top … YUMM !
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; May 22, 2008 at 07:28 AM..
Old May 22, 2008, 09:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishtylish cricketer
Beams are you talking about that infamous line by Therrien "I think their goal is to become the worst defensive team in the NHL"?
Yes. The link has the whole interview. It was pretty funny really. Everybody next day thought that he will be fired for those comments. Among other things he said, " they make me miserable", " they only deserve 50% of the salary, because thats the effort they give", " they are soft" etc..Pretty soon after that, we started to play better, went on a winning streak to finish the season. Mario retired after the season. Patrick fired. Shero hired and we made the playoffs next year. Under him, we went from 30th in defense to 14th next year, to 10th this year, to 1st in the playoffs. Rumor has it that it was the soon to be 19 yr old captain in the locker room who stood up and made a personal commitment to defense first from then on. Result is there. I was just thinking about recent comments by Siddons about our cricket players who have no pride to take the comments personally!

Sohel
Pens fans are not arrogant. Just confident about their teams ability. Detroit is obviously the best team, but, you can't give them too much respect if you want to win. There is going to be a feeling out process in the first game since the teams rarely play each other. If Pens have any chance, they will have to somehow come back with a split in Detroit. I think we will.
Old May 22, 2008, 02:44 PM
Cricket Guru

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2008/05/f...ompendium.html

This has some interesting stats!
Old May 23, 2008, 01:33 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2008/05/f...ompendium.html

This has some interesting stats!
A guy named "Mirtle" from Toronto trying to set-up yet another typically moronic and therefore Ontarian "bigger is better" argument (irrespective of how flaccid or unskilled one may or may not be), this time against a western Penn team. The "Legion of DUMB", led by another overhyped and much bigger Canadian "Next One", ate it in 4 straight. Maybe the same thing will happen to Stills & Nash ...

I guess if you third-wheel long enough, the mouth becomes bigger as intelligence and perhaps other things shrink proportionately, overburdened by all the "Canada is Hockey and Toronto is Canada" bitterness. At least in the good old US of A, outfits like the Peace and Freedom Party, less self importance and more integrity I suppose, keep their mouth shut during the Presidential race.

Anyway, it's always good to see the snootsters from Toronto continuing to redefine the term "LOSER" ...

BTW, Hudler is 5'8", not 5'10".

Enough trash-talk for now, let the SCF begin already. It's Thursday, 12:31 BDS at the moment. Penguin season opens on Sunday, 06:00 BDS ...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; May 26, 2008 at 02:23 AM..
Old May 23, 2008, 02:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Thumbs up Bowman Speaks ...

Scotty talks about his Wings and Pens in the SCF.

Quote:
Bowman guided Pens and Wings to Cup success
John McGourty | NHL.com Staff Writer May 22, 2008, 9:00 AM EDT

The Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins, who begin the 2008 Stanley Cup Final Saturday (8 p.m. ET, VERSUS, CBC, RDS, NHL Radio), have more than just the quest for the Cup in common.

Each franchise achieved great success under the guidance of Hockey Hall of Famer Scotty Bowman, the last man to coach either franchise to a championship. Bowman recently chatted with NHL.com about his time behind both benches. He looks back on his time in both cities with fond memories and great satisfaction.

Bowman led the Red Wings to Stanley Cups in 1997, 1998 and 2002 while compiling a 410-195-88-8 record from 1993-02. He won the 1992 Stanley Cup with the Penguins, whom he coached to a 95-53-16 record in two seasons.

Bowman coached the Montreal Canadiens to five Stanley Cups in the 1970s and then coached the Buffalo Sabres for seven seasons from 1979-87. He became director of player development for the Penguins in 1990 and was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1991, when Bob Johnson coached the Penguins to the franchise's first Stanley Cup.

Johnson fell ill that summer and died in the fall. Bowman went back behind the bench and coached the Penguins to a repeat championship. He coached them again the following season to the team's best-ever record, but they were upset by the New York Islanders in the Patrick Division Final.

Bowman then accepted an offer to coach the Red Wings. The team had been a high-scoring contender in the regular season, but without much success in the playoffs. The Red Wings won Stanley Cups in his fourth and fifth seasons and then again in his last. He remains with the club as a consultant and speaks with coach Mike Babcock on an almost daily basis.

"The Penguins won the Stanley Cup in 1991 and then Bob got sick around August while he was coaching the American team in the Canada Cup," Bowman recalled. "He started getting headaches, then found out it was a brain tumor. Craig Patrick, the Pittsburgh general manager, had hired Bob and I on the same day in 1990, when I was anxious to get back into hockey and very pleased I wouldn't have to coach anymore.

"With Bob sick, Craig and I, the whole franchise, was trying to keep things positive that Bob could beat this. Craig asked me to be interim coach and conduct training camp. I was in constant touch with Bob. Unfortunately, things got worse and Bob passed away at Thanksgiving.

"At that point, as a team, we weren't doing what we wanted to do and were around .500. We weren't in disarray but we were shook up by the terrible tragedy. Craig asked me to stick with it and get it back on track. We felt we owed it to Bob to not bring someone in right after he passed away and it wasn't a situation for a young coach.

"Craig made several trades to get Rick Tocchet, a tough winger, strengthened the defense with Kjell Samuelsson and got Ken Wregget to back up goalie Tom Barrasso. Mark Recchi went to Philadelphia and Paul Coffey went to Los Angeles. I tried to stay with Bob's style of play and we made the Playoffs. We got behind in the first round against the Washington Capitals and then got on a roll and won our last 11 playoff games to win the Stanley Cup.

"I enjoyed my time in Pittsburgh with Bob Johnson and (assistant coaches) Rick Kehoe and Rick Patterson, and then assistants Barry Smith and Pierre McGuire. Pittsburgh had never done much in the playoffs and then we won a Stanley Cup and a second one. The fans were terrific, a really good crowd that helped us win some games. They're still doing it. The Penguins have a great home record this year in the playoffs."

Bowman was pleased to receive the offer from an old friend to coach the Red Wings, but he had some concerns about the organization -- which were quickly resolved.

"I was fortunate when I got the call from then-General Manager Jim Devellano," Bowman said. "We went back to our days with the St. Louis Blues. I went off to Montreal after that and he went with the New York Islanders, but we kept in contact. He was looking for an experienced coach. When I met with the owners, Mike and Marian Ilitch, I was looking for stability and they gave it to me. I signed a two-year contract, thinking it would be my last. I lasted nine years as coach and I've been with them for 15 years.

"My first Detroit team could score goals, but was not a threat in the playoffs. They weren't strong defensively. We started to play much better defensively and got everyone on the same page. We had a great captain in Steve Yzerman, the force behind it all.

"Steve was a scoring machine but he did everything himself. Then he became a great two-way player. We started bringing in veteran players who were good defensively, particularly 'The Russian Five' of Igor Larionov, Sergei Fedorov, Slava Fetisov, Vladimir Konstantinov and Slava Kozlov.

"With that, the Red Wings had a different concept. They became a puck-possession team. They have kept that and it has worked well in the new NHL.

Under Bowman, the Wings also shuffled some personnel to fit Bowman's philosophy.

"We were also not a good faceoff team, but we had young Kris Draper in our system," he said. "I went down to Hamilton to watch him play on a Sunday and he won darn near every faceoff. We brought him up the next weekend for a 'look-see' -- and he's still there.

"We had too many right wingers in Detroit when I got there. We had Dino Ciccarelli, Marty Lapointe, Ray Sheppard and quite a few others in the minors. We were able to make some trades, sending Sheppard to San Jose for Larionov. We got Fetisov in a trade, and that gave us experience on the back end. We shored up the defense by getting Larry Murphy, Jamie Macoun and Chris Chelios. We got Tomas Sandstrom one year and picked up Doug Brown on waivers. We got Kirk Maltby for Dan McGillis. Lots of small deals that really helped.

"It has continued since I left. (GM) Ken Holland made good deals to get Danny Cleary and Mikael Samuelsson and he got Dominik Hasek and Chris Osgood to come back.”

Despite picking late because of their continued success on the ice, the Wings have excelled on draft day. Unlike the Penguins, who boast a lot of high picks, they've been especially good with later-round selections.

"The main thrust has been the solid drafting, like getting Kozlov and Konstantinov before the Iron Curtain came down and getting Nick Lidstrom in 1989," he said. "In recent years, they've done a great job getting guys like Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg. The Red Wings have never waited for things to happen; they tried to stay ahead of the curve and it has worked.

"The Penguins have built the same way, drafting Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury. And, just as those early '90s Penguins and the Red Wings of the mid-90s, the Penguins have benefited in a big way from trade-deadline deals, getting Marian Hossa and Pascal Dupuis this year and adding Hal Gill to the defense. When Crosby got hurt, they played in a way that has made them much better defensively. Kris Letang is an underrated player and he's showed his skill in several shootouts this year."

Bowman deflected any praise that he had a lot to do with reviving hockey in Detroit, although many people in hockey believe that that he has.

"The decisions made by Jim Devellano and Ken Holland have had the most to do with it," Bowman said. "The Ilitches put the people in place, like Ken Holland and Jim Nill. A lot of people in that organization could have gone on to other jobs, but they like it where they are and they're treated with respect and treat each other with respect.

"I couldn't have gone to a better place, they way I've been treated and the responsibility I've been given. I've got a great relationship with Mike Babcock, and he and his staff do a great job.

"It wasn't one particular thing that made the Red Wings successful, especially not me," Bowman said. "It was the combined effort of everyone and everything they did."

LINK
Old May 23, 2008, 10:25 AM
Cricket Guru

he he..Sohel bro, I knew that Mirtle link will throw you off. Call it an act of deliberate provocation! Anyway..still a day away and I am getting nervy. Long Memorial Day weeknd kicks off soon..

Go Pens
Old May 23, 2008, 10:36 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
he he..Sohel bro, I knew that Mirtle link will throw you off. Call it an act of deliberate provocation! Anyway..still a day away and I am getting nervy. Long Memorial Day weeknd kicks off soon..

Go Pens
Nicely done bro ...

Any opportunity to trash Toronto and Chicago, I'm there.

After decades of abuse from snooty, still-ain't-here, Whitehallers of the New World just across the bridge and beyond, it's OUR time.

Come to think of it, IT HAS BEEN OUR TIME since '95 and will be until 2067, a 100 years after their last championship, if they smarten up and move to Moonshine Gardens (FKA Moonshine Pond), KY or the alternate site at Banjodome (FKA Banjodome ... duh), Mississippi ...

Anyway here's another good article on Pav, the man I'll take over Stills and nash anyday, because of his overall game and nothing short of magical stickhanding at FULL FLOW.

We so luckee ...

Quote:
Datsyuk comfortable in his surroundings
Larry Wigge | NHL.com Columnist May 21, 2008, 9:00 AM EDT

There was a pretty intense one-on-one soccer game going on in the hallway outside the Detroit Red Wings' dressing room in Dallas the other day between centers Kris Draper and Pavel Datsyuk.

"You were over the line," shouted Datsyuk, pointing to an invisible marker that was supposed to be the net in this combination soccer-volleyball game in which the object was not to let the ball hit the ground ... with walls and ceiling being part of the playing field.

"You're dreaming," laughed Draper.

"You're crazy," Datsyuk returned.

Laughing. Smiling. Shouting. Pavel Datsyuk has come a long way from that fresh-faced 23-year-old kid who was new to the ways of North America in September 2001, when he started his career as a Red Wing. He knew hockey and he knew soccer, but ...

"When I came to North America, it was hard," the native of Sverdlovsk, Russia said. "It was hard to understand, hard to get someone to understand me. I only knew Russian. I studied French in school, but (he said laughing) it didn't help. I forgot most of that."

Datsyuk was a rookie in this new world as he took a wonderful and yet sometimes puzzling ride to a Stanley Cup in the spring of 2002.

He played in all five games of that year's Final against the Carolina Hurricanes, with no points. But watching him raise the Cup and kiss it after the victory just like the rest of the Detroit players who had grown up dreaming of someday playing in the NHL and lifting Lord Stanley's silver chalice in celebration was memorable.

"I didn't see a lot of NHL in Russia, but the couple of games I did see I liked and it made me want to try to be there," he remembered. "Coming to Detroit was great for me. Russian Five. Stanley Cups in 1997 and '98. I watched and ..."

Again a big laugh before he finished his thought, saying, "It's kind of funny. I remember one guy in the locker room back (in June 1998 when Datsyuk was drafted in the sixth round, 171st overall ... genius "Hockey is Canada" Ontarians in action, AGAIN ... ) said, 'You've been drafted by the NHL. Detroit.' I said, 'Not funny. Don't kid about that.' Then he showed me the newspaper that had my name on the draft list. I said, 'Wow!!!' and dreamed that I might someday come to Detroit."

The biggest difference between today's playful, competitive and confident Pavel, who has led the Red Wings in scoring in each of the last three seasons, and the Datsyuk who wasn't sure what was going to happen next, is that then we only saw glimpses of what the Detroit scouts saw. Now he's perhaps the most dangerous player in the League.

"I think Pavel's the most exciting one-on-one player in the game," GM Ken Holland said.

Even when he's facing a one-on-two, he can be Houdini-like the way he is able to escape or elude trouble.

"The hands, the feet, the moves ... they're magical," said Dallas Stars goaltender Marty Turco, who shook his head, then added, "I played at the University of Michigan, so I know that sports are like a religion in Detroit, and I don't think those Detroit fans have seen magic like that since, well, uh, ... "

"Could you be thinking of Barry Sanders, maybe?" I offered.

"Perfect," replied Turco. "All of those moves."

The truth of the matter is that Datsyuk had help when he arrived in Detroit. Russian Five members Igor Larionov and Sergei Fedorov were still with the Wings. So was Sergei Tchekmarev, the team's masseur. Brett Hull was also a key member of the I-want-to-help-Pavel club.

"He's a bright young man. Creative. Funny. He was the brains on our line. With all of his moves, he could take the attention away from me. All I had to do was get open and put my stick in position to shoot," Hull said. "Playing with a young, skilled player like that at that point of my career really made it exciting for me."

It's no coincidence that this deceptively quick and exciting player really took off in the last three seasons after he and the rest of the NHL lost a season due to the lockout. When the game returned, Datsyuk had no contract with the Wings ... or anyone.

"We had talked to Pavel's people, and we had a difference of opinion what he was worth in the NHL," Holland remembered. "You never know in a negotiation if they're bluffing. Then, one morning I woke up to see reports that he was going to play in Russia. In fact, I had heard he signed contracts to play with two different teams in Russia. It wasn't a good feeling. But ..."

Something was lost in the translation.

"I wanted to stay in Detroit, but I had already lost a season during the lockout. It was a hard summer. Training camp had already started in Russia and in NHL and I wanted to make sure my family was taken care of," he explained. "But my heart was in Detroit and with Red Wings fans."

Think about it. The face of the Red Wings is Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg and Nicklas Lidstrom. What if ...

"I'd rather not speculate," Holland added. "All I know is I don't know where we'd be without him. He certainly pulls me out of my seat when I watch him play."

"He's good on faceoffs, good on defense and great on offense. Who wouldn't want him on the ice?" offered coach Mike Babcock.

The hands, the feet, the moves are magical — especially for a player who was passed over twice in the NHL Entry Draft before finally being picked in the sixth round. Maybe that's why Datsyuk was so surprised when his teammates told him the Red Wings had picked him back in 1998.

"Good hands and moves?" Datsyuk said, repeating the question. "I wasn't strong when I was young. The puck was maybe too heavy."

More humor.

"I guess I tried to move the puck from side to side to keep from getting hit," he added with a big smile.

Before last year's Playoffs, Red Wings made sure there would be no more confusion about his future in the NHL, signing him to a seven-year contract.

"I don't want free agency. I only wanted Detroit," Pavel said. "I wanted to start and finish with one team. This team. Detroit."

Playful. Competitive. Confident.

"What do I like to do away from hockey?" Pavel added. "Soccer. Tennis. Even go into training room. And golf.

"But I'm not so good in golf. Lots of lost balls."

Lost? Pavel Datsyuk may have once worried about feeling lost in a new country, new culture and lost after a lost season during the lockout. But nothing is ever lost in the translation when describing the magical, mesmerizing skills he has.

Since 2002, he's seen others lift the Stanley Cup in celebration of victory — and he wants nothing better than to lift that Cup even higher and savor a championship even more than he did as a rookie.

LINK
SHOW NO MERCY, LEAVE NO DOUBT !

Last edited by Sohel; May 26, 2008 at 02:24 AM..
Old May 24, 2008, 07:39 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Wings, Pens begin answering questions Saturday night
Phil Coffey | NHL.com Editorial Director May 24, 2008, 9:00 AM EDT

DETROIT – Does experience trump youth, especially if those with experience come with more than a dash of talent? Or does supremely talented youth seize the day?

Welcome to the 2008 Stanley Cup Final, where the answers to those questions will go a long way in determining who takes home the Cup, the savvy, experienced and talented Detroit Red Wings or the young, precocious Pittsburgh Penguins.

Game 1 Saturday night (8 p.m. ET, VERSUS, CBC, RDS, NHL Radio) will start this journey of discovery. And make no mistake about it, this journey doesn’t end because the Pens and Wings are in the Final. Their eyes are on the prize. No one is looking at the first three rounds as a major accomplishment.

“I think reflecting is more what you do after everything's all said and done,” Penguins captain Sidney Crosby said. “For me personally, that's the way it is, anyway. And it's more just a sense of preparation and making sure you're ready and prepared for what's to come. But you just remind yourself that this is not something that comes along all the time and we want to make sure that you don't think because you're young it's going to happen every year, every couple of years, whatever it may be. It's a great opportunity to have to take advantage of it.”

The Red Wings, winners of the Presidents’ Trophy for the top record during the regular season, sport few, if any, holes. The commitment to the strong team concept espoused by coach Mike Babcock has been eagerly adopted by veterans like defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom, Kris Draper, Chris Chelios and Chris Osgood. But the Wings are far from a one-dimensional picture of gray-haired geezers looking for a last kick at the Cup. The Wings employ two of the League’s most dynamic offensive players in Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, and other relative newcomers to the lineup like Johan Franzen, Jiri Hudler and Niklas Kronwall are setting the Wings’ next generation quite nicely.

In Pittsburgh, the world revolves around Crosby, who is either the best player in the world or darn close to it depending upon who you talk with. A driven, dynamic player who is the team captain at age 20, Crosby is as determined as he is dynamic and this season has been surrounded by a very strong supporting cast, most notably the supremely talented Evgeni Malkin up front as well as a gifted scorer in Marian Hossa. Pittsburgh also has seen goalie Marc-Andre Fleury step to the fore as a terrific netminder who has excelled in the postseason. Now, add in other emerging, young players like Jordan Staal, Kris Letang, Max Talbot, Ryan Whitney and Brooks Orpik, and the Penguins have the goods to not only challenge for the Stanley Cup, but win it.

“Yeah, it's a pretty good group for sure,” Crosby said, agreeing that the 2008 Final is a smorgasbord of talent. “You look at both teams and what they bring. You can look at the NHL awards and things like that that's going to come up, you'll see a lot of the same guys during the series at those. The two best teams in the playoffs are there. But at the same time individually, there're a lot of players I think that are pretty exciting to watch. So it makes for a great series for sure.”

“It's impressive the way they've played together,” Lidstrom said of the Penguins. “They have great individual skills, but they play together as well. So it's very impressive how well they played so far in the playoffs. With some of the young stars they have, they've really responded with authority and playing beyond their years in a way, too, the way they have carried themselves throughout the playoffs.”

Game 1 will likely have a feeling-out process since the clubs haven’t faced off for quite some time. The Red Wings and Penguins did not play each other in the 2007-08 regular season. Their most recent meeting occurred Oct. 7, 2006, a 2-0 Red Wings victory at Pittsburgh. Fifteen of the 20 Red Wings who dressed for that game are still with the club; 10 of the 20 Penguins remain with Pittsburgh, so despite seeing hours of video on one another, there is nothing like going head-to-head with a foe to see how they will react.

“I think it's the same challenge for both teams,” Penguins coach Michel Therrien said. “And they're going to break down their tape and their game and we'll do the same thing with them. This is what we did. Our players are aware how they play. And I'm sure they did the same thing. So I don't think there's a rivalry right now. Maybe the rivalry will start once the series goes on. But I think you're going to see two teams really focused and really battle to win every inch on the ice.”

“I think we played them, if I'm not mistaken, two years ago in their building,” Wings coach Mike Babcock said. “And two years ago, obviously, it's documented they weren't the same team they are now. I think people have come of age. Obviously, they've had really good draft choices. They were fortunate in the years they had those draft choices that they had star players, they made the right picks. Their management and their coaching has gone in and done a real good job of giving them structure and focus and demand, and their elite players are very elite and they're very young. If the cap doesn't get in the way, they have a chance to be very good for a long time.”

“I won't change the way I've been playing or my game plan going into it,” Wings goalie Chris Osgood said. “They do have some great players and I'll try and watch what their tendencies are, whether it be on the power play or see Crosby, where he likes to pass it, where certain guys like to shoot. I'll always look for it on tape, but for my own game I won't change, but I'll watch their tendency so I can be prepared for them.”

And what have the Wings learned about these Penguins? Plenty.

“They're very individual skilled players,” Lidstrom said. “They can take you on one-on-one, they can challenge you and the defensive pairs. One of the reasons for our team's success has been the way the group of five play on the ice. Not just the D playing solid, but forwards coming back hard and eliminating the time for the teams to pull up and find lanes. So the way we've been playing as a group on the ice, I think it's the team defense, not only the defensemen on our team, but the team defense has been a big part of why we're here now.”

In terms of the experience factor, the Wings have lots of it, with 10 previous Cup winners on the roster. But Lidstrom said the experience gained in a losing effort to Anaheim in last season’s Western Conference Finals will work more for the Wings than having won the Cup in 1997, 1998 and 2002.

“I think it helped the younger players to go through an experience like that where you play deep into the playoffs,” Lidstrom said. “They see the grind, the travel you have to put in and the every-day effort to play in the playoffs. And it is a grind. Every game means so much. It is a grind to go through almost two months of playoff hockey. I think it helped our younger players to go through that and see what it's like and see the older players do what they have to do to prepare themselves every night.”

Osgood said handling the distractions of competing for the Cup also is eased by experience.

“I think on a personal level you just know what to expect,” Osgood said. “Mentally you know how to prepare yourself better for games and kind of put the other stuff on the side and clear your mind for when the game starts. You're more aware of what matters and what doesn't. And you just know how to mentally prepare yourself for games and be ready to play when they do start because there is a lot of stuff going on.”

“I don't think we're putting a lot of thought into that,” Crosby said of the disparity in experience. “We respect their team no matter whether they have older or younger guys. We have respect for their team. We can't control the fact that we have a lot of young guys. That's just the way it is. And we've shown, I think, time and time again in the playoffs that the adversity, we've responded well. And I think that's the main thing. “I think that's what experience shows you, is how to react in adversity and new situations,” Crosby said. “But we've done a great job of doing that the whole year. So I don't think that's something we're really putting a whole lot of thought into.”

“I think our key and our focus is to do – not I think – I know. Stay in the process, enjoy the process, and if you do that, you have a chance to enjoy the rewards at the end. And I'm a big believer you do what you do.”

Therrien counters the argument that the Wings have a lock on experience, noting his team learned plenty from a 2007 first-round exit at the hands of the Ottawa Senators.

“Last year, we were like 16 players who didn't know about NHL playoff, and that's a lot,” Therrien said. “Even if you try to prepare those guys as much as you can, until you have that taste of the playoff, it's demanding. And on top of that we played a team that was really sharp, was playing really well. They went to the Stanley Cup Final. So that was a good team. That was a good test for us. And we were there. And all those games we were battling with that team. Yes, it could be different to be in the Stanley Cup Final, but we went through the experience of the playoff. This is going to be a playoff game. This is just going to be another step.

“And I really like the way we've been playing so far in the playoffs,” Therrien said. “Both defensively and offensively. The confidence is there. When we started last year, I'm not quite sure if the confidence was there. But I can tell you, this is a group, our focus, this is a group that has a lot of confidence in themselves.”

LINK
MUHAHA ... Finally LESS than 12 hours to go before faceoff.

Pav and Stills&Nash, two fast, skilled and similarly sized guys going head-to-head.

One lone Russian directly mentored by Yzerman and who'll possibly have his number 13 up in the rafters right next to 19 and 5 by the time all is said and done, he is THAT good.

One young Canadian who grew up idolizing Yzerman, and is doing a good job, for once, living up to the "Next One" hype so far.

One lone Russian, classically neglegted by Ontarian hockey pundits, now exceeding all expectations in a team where EVERYONE can score and play a STRONG two-way game.

One young Canadian with "boy band" slah "American Idol runner-up" slash "Brokeback Mountain" type annoying looks and made-for-the media smile trying to figure out just why so many fans in so many forums around the NHL call him "cry baby Crosby".

Make that "so many forums" MINUS the MapleCubs and Chicago MBs, I mean what's the point of visiting those LOSERS anyway ?

LET THE HURTIN' BEGIN ! WELCOME TO THE JOE LITTLE BIRDIES, DON'T YOU WISH YOU COULD JUST FLY OUT OF HERE ?

REDWINGS NATIONS OF THE WORLD, UNITE AND SHOW 'EM WHERE IT'S AT !

Last edited by Sohel; May 24, 2008 at 09:25 AM..
Old May 24, 2008, 10:32 AM
Cricket Guru

Ok..Game day is finally here. Let the games begin.

1992 : Bush was in the WH. Clinton was running. War in Iraq. Giants won the Superbowl and you know who won the Stanley Cup!

2008???
Old May 24, 2008, 11:10 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
1992 : Bush was in the WH. Clinton was running. War in Iraq. Giants won the Superbowl and you know who won the Stanley Cup!

2008???
Nice try but the difference, I'm afraid, is in the details.

1) Smarter but equally evil Papa Bush was popular with over 50% appoval rating. The idiot son has an approval rating of 25% and dwindling as he takes his fear-mongering Nea-cons with him. Nea as in "drathal" because of their preference for sound-bytes and spin-doctoring over basic reasoning and science.

Also, Papa Bush was a one-termer (like Canadian teams with the cup since the 90s), and was voted out of office. SOBush is a two-timer who's making sure Grandpa Mac cannot shuffle and flip-flop his was into office for 4 more years of idiocracy.

2) The first Gulf War was somewhat justified and had an exit strategy. This one serves Fascism, including of the Ladenite Salafist variety.

3) Pragmatic, highly educated former trailer-parker Billary was winning as a Washington outsider with integrity. Delusional Chicagoan Hillabill is LOSING as a DC Boss who'll do anything to win, has semi-literate, rascist, trailer-parkin' supporters she courts rather than take the high ground against, and ZERO ethical standards.

BTW, yours truly worked as a volunteer for the Billary Campaign, just as I'm doing with Senator Obama now ...

4) NYG won the SB but Boston Red Sox were still under the curse (as the MapleCubs still are ... ). Paradigm shift number 1.

5) Pens had Bowman and we were just a "good with potential" (mediocre) team, like all the Canadian teams are now. Then Bowman LEFT Steel Town, AKA still-no-NBA, USA and made the smart move to the Motor City, AKA Hockeytown, USA. A place where steel is value added and made MORE useful. Paradigm shift number 2.

2008 ? Obama in, Hillabill out and Wings stand alone with 4 cups out of 5 tries since '95.

Here's the new math: 97, 98, 02 ... 08, 09, 13 ... 19, 20, 24 and so on.

Less than 8 hours to go.

Last edited by Sohel; May 24, 2008 at 11:52 AM..
Old May 24, 2008, 07:19 PM
Cricket Savant

No Frazen yet for us and no Cheli either. Hank's on Stills&Nash.

Babcock to Red Wings radio: "They're the best skating team we've faced so far in the playoffs ... they have good size up front ... we just have to score goals than they do."

Stevie and Mario drop the puck, the octopus gets thrown, and we're underway.
Old May 24, 2008, 07:34 PM
Cricket Savant

ESPN here in Dhaka's showing the Pistons live ...

Damn these South, Southeast Asian markets ! Curry-eating shorties into the NBA ...

Last edited by Sohel; May 24, 2008 at 08:34 PM..
Old May 24, 2008, 07:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Pens are pressing really hard in the PP. Osgood really sharp.
Old May 24, 2008, 07:52 PM
Cricket Savant

Daylight robbery, just saw the replay.

The puck was already in the net.

Simple solution: MAKE THESE REVIEWABLE !

Last edited by Sohel; May 24, 2008 at 08:02 PM..
Old May 24, 2008, 08:00 PM
Cricket Savant

End of 1st.

Pens and the REF (12 SOG) - 0, Wings (11 SOG, 1 daylight robbery) - 0, good bunch of shots to end the period.

Good stuff from Ozzie and the PK unit. I hope some calls go our way for a change.
Old May 24, 2008, 08:45 PM
Cricket Savant

NHL.com's on crack, like Crackinfo.

Bettman's RETARDS !
Old May 24, 2008, 08:54 PM
Cricket Savant

Wings lead 1-0 after 2.

SOG: 27 Wings, 16 Pens with just 4 in the period.

Domination.
Old May 24, 2008, 09:16 PM
Cricket Savant

Two unassisted goals for Sammy and extra ice-time for the line. Good move from Babcock.

Pens are being out-shot 16-30 ATM, with CSN and Malkin CONTAINED since the 2nd.
Old May 24, 2008, 09:24 PM
Cricket Savant

St. Nick and Rafalski are winning the battle against the best, AGAIN !

Clean, fast and perfectly positioned, both are former Swedish Elite leaguers discarded by Toronto intellos as " Nick who and Rafa what ?".

Who's laughing now, morons ?

Time to focus on women's field hockey in Toronto.

Last edited by Sohel; May 24, 2008 at 09:36 PM..
Old May 24, 2008, 10:01 PM
Cricket Savant

1 DOWN, 3 MORE 2 GO for # 11 (as La Gordita sings a bit of Motown).

4-0 Wings with St. NIck and the defense outclassing the "young and mighty" Pen's forwards, and restricting them to 7 shots in the last 2 periods.

Ozzie gets an SCF shut-out as Fleury's GAA shoots up.

Hank leads everyone in scoring.

Sammy gets two and Cleary ices it.

Welcome to MOTOR CITY gentlemen ...

We'll SHOW NO MERCY and LEAVE NO DOUBT !
Old May 25, 2008, 12:13 AM
Cricket Savant

Smile G1 recap.

Quote:
Samuelsson powers Red Wings to Game 1 win
Phil Coffey | NHL.com Editorial Director

DETROIT – An unassisted goal is an anathema to a team built on collective success like the Detroit Red Wings. But two unassisted goals off the stick of Mikael Samuelsson lifted the Wings to a 4-0 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final Saturday night at Joe Louis Arena.

Samuelsson netted the game-winning goal at 13:01 of the second period and added some insurance at 2:16 of the third period to get the Wings off to a strong start.

“The feeling, it was great, for sure,” Samuelsson said of being the offensive hero. “I love to score goals, obviously. But, yeah, they turned over the puck at the red line, and I saw (on) the first one, they were out there, like 30, 40 seconds. I just took a shot at it. They went to the net. I couldn't really cut in in front of the net, so I had to go behind. And I guess (goalie Marc-Andre) Fleury committed to me a little bit. So I took a chance to throw it at the net, and it went in.

“The second one, I don't really know what happened. I went through the forecheck and the puck kind of stayed at me. There were a couple guys there, but they didn't really catch or took the puck there, so I just took it and shot it to the net.”

To say Samuelsson was the sole reason for the Red Wings’ win would be a disservice to his teammates, who dominated play after an even first period. Detroit did a masterful job, limiting the Penguins to just 19 shots, 12 of which came in the first period.

Goalie Chris Osgood wasn’t the beneficiary of an easy night in goal, despite gaining the shutout. Despite his team’s dominance over the final 40 minutes, Osgood needed to be strong in the first period. He made a dozen saves, including several real testers from the Penguins’ strong array of offensive talent.

“They came out real hard in the first, threw a lot of pucks, had some good chances,” Osgood said. “We did a good job killing off the penalties. That was huge for us. Kept us in the game. We regrouped after the first. We expected what we got tonight. They've got a quick team, and talented. Their ‘D’ moves the puck good.

“They're everything we expected. I mean, they made some beautiful plays, some nice plays, coming out not only in front of me, but coming out of their zone. So we've got to be on top of our game. We had to play very, very well in the last two periods and give it everything we've got tonight just to win that game.”

Penguins star Sidney Crosby came away from his first Stanley Cup Final game impressed with the caliber of the opposition.

“Yeah, they're a good hockey team,” he said. “They play tight. I don't think we came here expecting an easy series. For sure they played a tight checking game, but that's playoff hockey. You still have to find ways around that.

“And for us, we all have more success when we moved our feet. In the second period we didn't do that a whole lot. So make sure we do a better job getting the puck forward and moving our feet a little more.”

Despite the presence of players like Crosby, Marian Hossa and Evgeni Malkin, the Pens were lucky to escape the second period with just the 1-0 deficit as the Red Wings seemed to tip the ice toward the Pittsburgh end, finishing the middle 20 minutes with a 16-4 shot advantage and the lead thanks to Samuelsson’s first unassisted goal – a goal that was anything but unassisted.

Let’s explain. Samuelsson picked off a clearing pass by Jarkko Ruutu at center ice, gained the Pittsburgh zone, drove to the net and then cruised behind it. He came out on the other side and beat Fleury with a backhand shot as the Penguins goalie was just a split second late getting across.

“I was on the red line and they were going on the offense, so I stepped up on the blue line, so I had a little room,” Samuelsson said. “I couldn’t get it in front of the net, so I just tried the back.”

So it was an unassisted goal to be sure, but the Red Wings had put on so much sustained pressure prior to the goal that the Penguins players were exhausted trying to keep the Wings off the scoreboard. It’s ironic that Samuelsson’s goal came as a direct result of the Penguins finally being able to clear the zone.

“Before we scored the first goal, we had about four shifts in a row where we finally got the tempo up,” Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. “I thought we were nervous early. I didn't think we executed early. I thought once we got the tempo up and got skating that things went our way better.

“We had hemmed them in, we were out-changing them, keeping them in. Sami came off the bench flying and their ‘D’ was dead tired. The other one he finished the check. I thought Dallas (Drake) was right there. Maybe I guess he didn't touch it. I thought he got an assist.”

Samuelsson came within the width of the goal post – two goal posts, actually – of opening the scoring just 1:33 into the second period when he rang a shot off the left and then right post before it caromed away.

The Penguins’ best chance came with 13:46 left in the period when Pascal Dupuis grabbed a loose puck and had a partial break down the left side. The speedy winger cut to the Red Wings net, but Osgood stood his ground, didn’t go for a deke and got the tip of his right pad on the shot, forcing the puck and Dupuis into the corner.

Samuelsson struck again at 2:16 of the third period, and while the goal again was clearly called correctly as unassisted, Samuelsson had some help. He created a turnover in the Pittsburgh end and in the ensuing scramble Malkin gained control of the puck, but lost it when he collided with Kris Draper. Samuelsson was left alone in front of Fleury and he pounded the puck home.

Penguins coach Michel Therrien looked upon Game 1 as a hard lesson learned.

“You have to really execute,” he said. “That's the main thing. Tight games like this, had a few chances, and they go in. But that's the difference between executing and not executing, it's the difference in a hockey game. You have to make sure we're right here on the net. And a few pucks are bouncing around the crease, they don't quite bounce to guys. And that's what happens sometimes.

“I don't know if it was the nerves, but definitely that was the worst performance of the playoffs. We didn't compete like we were supposed to compete. And it's a good lesson. A bad decision with the puck … a bad change, those are mental mistakes against a team like the Red Wings. You can't do those types of mistakes.”

Samuelsson entered the Final with two goals and seven assists in 16 playoff games, numbers well behind Red Wings leading scorers Henrik Zetterberg (21 entering the Final) and Pavel Datsyuk (19 coming into the game), but his offensive numbers weren’t concerning Babcock.

“Sami's kind of a streak guy,” Babcock said. “When he scores he feels good about himself. I thought he played big and strong. He made a real good finish check on the second goal.”

The Wings made it 3-0 at 17:18 when Daniel Cleary scored a shorthanded goal, and Zetterberg netted the fourth goal, a power-play score, at 19:47 off a strong shot from the slot.

“We’re gonna get it done,” Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik insisted. “We’re gonna work on some things and we’re gonna straighten it out.”

The Wings’ dominance over the second and third periods was in marked contrast to the opening 20 minutes. There, the scoreless tie certainly lived up to the hype that preceded the series as both teams went up and down the ice, producing numerous scoring chances that were denied by the goaltenders.

Penalties helped set up a number of prime scoring chances, especially for the Penguins. Ironically, Penguins defenseman Kris Letang was whistled for the first penalty of the game, interference at 3:51. But he was followed to the box by Detroit’s Tomas Holmstrom just 11 seconds later to negate the Red Wings’ power play. Holmstrom was called for high sticking Orpik.

Holmstrom’s second penalty of the period, at 15:50, especially was costly, resulting in a goal by Nicklas Lidstrom being waved off because Holmstrom got his stick between Fleury’s pads, resulting in a goaltender interference call.

Fleury, who tripped jumping on the ice to start the game, got all the jitters out of the way with that embarrassing moment as he was sharp in the first, stopping all 11 Detroit shots. He made a nice save on Datsyuk early and another seconds later on Kirk Maltby. In the dying moments of the period, Fleury stopped Brian Rafalski’s power-play drive from the right circle.

Osgood certainly was no slouch in his end. He stopped a dozen shots, including a several testing drives from Hossa, Crosby and Petr Sykora.

“We were in there (the penalty box) way too much in the first period,” Osgood said. “After that, I thought we didn't turn pucks over as much as we did in the first. That's why we got the penalties. We got pucks deep, then we grind their ‘D.’ Sometimes things don't happen right away. You don't reap the rewards until later. That's what happened.

“I thought we were tough on their ‘D’ in the last two periods of the game, made them skate back for a lot of pucks. And defense is difficult when guys are hitting you non-stop for 40 straight minutes and that's what we accomplished. That's why we ended up getting the goals that we did.”

LINK

Sammy, a former Penguin no longer flightless, after doing his bit in our bashor rate bilai mara ...

Prepare for MORE !

Last edited by Sohel; May 25, 2008 at 12:22 AM..
Old May 25, 2008, 08:17 PM
Cricket Savant

Hmm, still no sign of my twinsaniy, Beamer.

OK, if its about me getting carried away and being an @$$hole, I'M SORRY ...

No apologies for telling the truth about Toronto though. The payback, actually pretty mild by comparison to what we went through, and still do before reaching the SCF, something you do after making the playoffs FIRST ...

So, Stlls&Nash managed only 2 shots in the game with a minus 1. Not bad considering the high, mighty, and powerfully skilled young offense of the Pens managed only 7 in the final 40 minutes of the game. So, in comes the 42 YO Gary Roberts, the oldest man on the ice if 46 YO Cheli doesn't play G2, to the rescue ...

As far as I can tell from the so called interviews, lovefests with the media really, Stills&Nash is not the smartest cookie in the jar. Or is it just the shock of NOT being Mario 2.0 ?

The other media darling, Lindros was a bit dumber and choked faster. Then again, he wore 88 instead of the Boy Band-er's 87.

Being contained by St. Nick and Rafalski, banged around by Junior and the grinders, and shut out by Ozzie when they actually managed to get a shot on net is just the beginning of the reality check and the inevitable choke Inshallah.

I expect the Pens to try and deal with the pressure of being made into our sons in the 2nd and 3rd periods with the customary remedy of "dump and chase", now that they've been taken out of their natural quickish puck possession game by the Saint, Rafalski, Pav and Hank among others.

Interesting twist on an SCF story that started with an eastern Penn team with their own "Legion of DUMB" 11 years ago, but will we see the same results ?

Will a much-improved Gonchar get swept again 10 years later with a different team ? He couldn't contain Stevie then and he can't contain Pav now. Quite a sight to see Pav actually bullying his Russian teammate with hits and of course, sheer skill and intelligence.

Anyway, the Saint said after the game that it wasn't easy for the Wings at any point in the match, and he fully expects the Pens to come at us hard. So we'll be ready.

The harder they come, more swift and painful the fall ... Flyers 1996-97.

I think the Pens should lobby Bettman to make this a best of 5 affair in case we win G2, so that the Pens can still win in 5 ...
Old May 25, 2008, 08:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Lemme know when you come to TO. I will throw you a party. The ACC sound good to you? Actually the rogers centre is better.
Old May 25, 2008, 10:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
Lemme know when you come to TO. I will throw you a party. The ACC sound good to you? Actually the rogers centre is better.
Thanks for the invitation bro, much appreciated ...

My step-sister lives in Toronto with her husband and my niece BTW, but still I cannot find a reason to go there despite my best efforts. One possible reason could be the cup, but as we all know in hearts, that's not gonna happen in my lifetime.

I don't see myself living in the year 2067, not to mention the fact that the MapleCubs will need to play somewhere in the Podunk Confederacy in the Southern US of A by then to have a theoritical chance in hell ...

Having said all that, maybe you can cross the bridge at Windsor and come to the real home of Hockey outside Montreal. Contrary to the typically racist "wisdom" oozing out of Toronto, you won't be killed there for wearing the wrong color ...

I do visit Montreal quite a bit BTW. Aside from the classy Habs, they also have the best Foie Gras anywhere IMHO. I also visit BC, and former teamates and good friends in Alberta and Saskatoon. My good friend Robbin LaVine is a professor in Alaska, and whenever I visit her, I get to see a bit of the Yukon. Maybe we'll go to Nunavuk the next time I'm there. Nova Scotia's is also a place I'd like to visit.

Oops, looks like I forgot Newfoundland.

Back to G2, here's a good idea: -

Quote:
Penguins' first task: Get the puck ... genius ...
John Kreiser | NHL.com Columnist May 25, 2008, 3:46 PM EDT

DETROIT -- If the Pittsburgh Penguins hope to even the Stanley Cup Final Monday night (8 p.m. ET, VERSUS, CBC, RDS, NHL Radio), the first step is getting the puck away from the Detroit Red Wings.

The Wings are the NHL's best puck-possession team, and in Game 1 they gave the young Penguins a lesson on the benefits of controlling the puck. The 4-0 final score didn't come close to conveying the Wings' dominance of the final two periods, in which they out-shot Pittsburgh 25-7 and seemed to control the puck for minutes on end.

Once the Wings took the lead at 13:01 of the second period on the first of Mikael Samuelsson's two unassisted goals, it often seemed as if there were seven or eight Wings on the ice, so smothering was their defensive effort.

READ MORE
Winning faceoffs and a couple of other basics -- like relying on effective stickchecking and coordinated as opposed to random backchecking to force turnovers, rather than depending on the poor passing abilities of thuggish opposition typically blessed by the Toronto elite -- were blissfully ignored by the glamorous Brokeback Mountaineers and their admirers.

That un-choked chicken has come home to roost ... tsk, tsk.

Anyway, they can always learn on the job from the guy below, obviously postgame for the super slow-mo ...

Some more good things: -

Quote:
> Crow, the great young coach who brought the Avs, our former rivals (RIPUR), their first cup victory in their VERY FIRST SEASON IN COLORADO, US of A FROM CANADA, talks about G1 ... SCROLL DOWN & LISTEN

>> Why Detroit is a great place to play ... READ

>>> Junior dishes it out ... READ

Last edited by Sohel; May 26, 2008 at 02:40 AM..