facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 19, 2007, 02:28 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaoun
and i cant believe the newspaper didnt stand by their employee.
Nigey Bachley Baper Nam.... you wants to go to Jail?

Old September 19, 2007, 02:46 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron
I'll modify your sentence like this - It's a cartoon of a very brave nature especially in a country like Bangladesh. where majority people do not have the coherence to not go after the proverbial "Cheel" that snatched away the "Kaan" and that includes some of the BC members who are educated and conscious.

This coming from someone with university education?? Tsk Tsk.

--

The cartoon just shows you the effect of following the Mullah blindly. And this will affect religious harmony?? Man! What a comment.

Sauron, I knew it coming from you. You are an expert in twisting comment and taking it out of context.

What I have said should be taken into the proper context. Quoting one sentence leaving others out doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Everyone should understand the level of passion muslims bear in mind about Prophet (SW) and making fun where there can be slightest correlation with Prophet (SW)'s image will invoke serious repercussions. This type of cartoon should be avoided to maintain religious harmony.
Mass people are sensitive to religion and we should respect that.

Publishing this type of cartoon which can be interpreted in many ways does not help in maintaining the harmony. I have no problem with the cartoon, but the response in Bangladesh can be well predicted. I just don't want to supply fuel to anything that creates unnecessary anarchy, we cannot simply afford that in current Bangladesh.

Going by logic isn't always the supreme solution of everything. Understanding the mind of mass population is sometimes more required than logic.

Anyway, I don't want to go into any religious debate here, I was concerned about the current state of Bangladesh and situations like this does not help at all.

Last edited by Miraz; September 19, 2007 at 03:02 PM..
Old September 19, 2007, 03:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
I loved the cartoon. It pokes fun at the same kind of zealotry and ritualistic religiousness that is on offer here from some menbers in this thread.

The cartoonist is smart ... waaay too smart for most people, obviously.

If you are so thick that the humor and sarcasm of this cartoon doesn't get to you, then I have a question for you -
What do you think about all the thieves, criminals, rapists that share that same first name? Would you say that this cartoonist is more offending than them? So offending that while the criminals roam free and this cartoonist had to be arrested?

Grow up people. Or rather, grow brains people.
Indeed. People should be more offended by the likes of Hussein Muhammad Ershad. I think the cartoon is simple but brilliant in conveying its purported message. Its sad but ironic that the likes of Amini and khatib of Baitul Mukarram are leading the parade denouncing the messenger and the newspaper. How expected of them. These half educated religious merchants are cuddled in our society as in many muslim countries. Absolute knee jerk reaction by CG. There was zero public reaction. No vandalizing or that sort of stuff..
Old September 19, 2007, 03:28 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

As far as I know, there is no rule in Islam that you have to have Muhammad in your name, so the guy depicted in the cartoon is wrong in imposing that belief. It exposes the kind of the ill-educated religious zealots that represent Islam in an incorrect manner. At least I hope that’s what the cartoonist intended. The reaction by CTG is harsh and disappointing.
Old September 19, 2007, 03:31 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

My question-
How come sahabi Abu Huruiya involve this issue according to amader desh.

http://amardeshbd.com/detail_news_in...SectionID=home
Old September 19, 2007, 03:35 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omio
My question-

This is exactly what I am afraid of.

I am sure some people will blow the situation out of proportion and that will ultimately harm the image of Bangladesh as a moderate muslim country.

Exercising some caution always helps in avoiding similar situations.
Old September 19, 2007, 03:56 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omio
My question-

I think Abu Huruiya had a title 'Father of Cat' because of his love for cat.

However, prothom alo has been a target of Rajakars (Read Jamaat Shibir) for years. I remember going to a Sirajganj Mosque once where in Friday prayer the imam called prothom alo 'prothom andhokar' and asked everyone to tear it apart anytime they see an issue. They just an issue to go behind this newspaper.

Many people did not like al pin for a long time because of his nature of poking fun of people (well deserved pokes, i must add).

those bastard rajakers need to be unrooted as soon as possible to maintain a secular Bangladesh.
Old September 19, 2007, 04:23 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
I think Abu Huruiya had a title 'Father of Cat' because of his love for cat.

However, prothom alo has been a target of Rajakars (Read Jamaat Shibir) for years. I remember going to a Sirajganj Mosque once where in Friday prayer the imam called prothom alo 'prothom andhokar' and asked everyone to tear it apart anytime they see an issue. They just an issue to go behind this newspaper.

Many people did not like al pin for a long time because of his nature of poking fun of people (well deserved pokes, i must add).

those bastard rajakers need to be unrooted as soon as possible to maintain a secular Bangladesh.
Abu Huraira in arabic means "Father of Cat".

However, I cannot separate Prothom Alo and those people who are trying blow the situation out of proportion. দুই দলই সুবিধাবাদী

Prothom Alo should have clarified the cartoon and took stand behind the cartoonist. An apology should have followed the clarification for hurting religious sentiment. Now passing all the responsibility to the cartoonist is simply unacceptable.
Old September 19, 2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Abu Huraira in arabic means "Father of Cat".
Prothom Alo should have clarified the cartoon and took stand behind the cartoonist. An apology should have followed the clarification for hurting religious sentiment. Now passing all the responsibility to the cartoonist is simply unacceptable.
Yeah, of course. As I said in a previous post, I'm very disappointed with prothom alo's handling of the situation.
Old September 19, 2007, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
Yeah, of course. As I said in a previous post, I'm very disappointed with prothom alo's handling of the situation.
Me too,
They didnt take any responsibility, they blamed Arif.
Old September 19, 2007, 04:47 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
that will ultimately harm the image of Bangladesh as a moderate muslim country.
No comments.You know the real truth about this popular myth. Take this thread as an example.To be candid with you not a single newspaper in BD will dare to publish some of the comments posted by our members here.

[quote=Miraz;549786]

Prothom Alo should have clarified the cartoon and took stand behind the cartoonist./quote]

Agreed but I can't blame them either. This was the only option they had. These bigots are importuning that the government should shut down the newspaper by Friday and have menaced the government with dire consequences in case of failure.

Old September 19, 2007, 04:51 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_swing
Well, I can't blame them. This is the only option they had. These bigots are importuning that the government should shut down the newspaper by Friday and have menaced the government with dire consequences in case of failure.
In that case they shouldn't have published the cartoon in the first place. If they can't take responsibility of their own action, they do not deserve any sympathy.

Making the cartoonist "scapegoat" is nothing less that bigotry.
Old September 19, 2007, 04:59 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_swing
No comments.You know the real truth about this popular myth. Take this thread as an example.To be candid with you not a single newspaper in BD will dare to publish some of the comments posted by our members here.
I don't agree that it's a myth. Our society is moderate but have extremist elements who do not represent the main ideology of the society.

Situations like this only strengthen those extremists elements and portray a moderate society as radical.

It's much wiser not to supply fuel to those extremist element of the society which will make their job difficult to establish themselves.
Old September 19, 2007, 05:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Trying to pacify extremists is equivalent to encouraging them.

In the past, all Govt.s tried to pacify these zealots because they did not have the moral courage. Also they did not want to be painted as "anti-islamic" for the fear of losing popular vote.

Our middle-class is no good - they want all the benefits but would not dare ruffle any feathers. Examples of that are evident. If we had a strong leader who could face this head-on, our country would benefit tremendously.

I kind of expected a braver stance from army-backed CTG. I am not suggesting that they create a confrontation. But they should have dealt with this with a little more back-bone, sort of like the DU incident where they identified and prosecuted the genuinely responsible people.

About prothom alo, I am not surprised. I echo what r/swing said.

Last edited by Sauron; September 19, 2007 at 05:28 PM..
Old September 19, 2007, 05:24 PM
Chief Moderator

This is from BDNews24:
Quote:
Prothom Alo's freelance cartoonist Arifur Rahman was sent to jail with a pending proposal for one-month detention, a day after he was arrested on charges of hurting religious sensibilities with a cartoon story.

Metropolitan magistrate Abdul Fattah issued the order sending him to Dhaka Central Jail, after sub inspector Ali Noor presented the case to court.

No lawyer was seen defending him in court.

Old September 19, 2007, 05:25 PM
Banned

vaggis bangla vai er a az nai, thakle ki hoto?
Old September 19, 2007, 05:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Sauron, I knew it coming from you. You are an expert in twisting comment and taking it out of context.

What I have said should be taken into the proper context. Quoting one sentence leaving others out doesn't make sense.
Miraz, please stop making comments about the poster and stick to the post. You are alleging me of being "an expert in twisting comment and taking it out of context". That is not a nice thing to say about someone.

Again, here is what you said (note that I am putting the whole paragraph here, not just one sentence) -

Quote:
Everyone should understand the level of passion muslims bear in mind about Prophet (SW) and making fun where there can be slightest correlation with Prophet (SW)'s image will invoke serious repercussions. This type of cartoon should be avoided to maintain religious harmony.
I do not see the slightest correlation with the Prophet's image in the cartoon. I don't know where you see it.

What you are suggesting is that everyone better conform (or pretend to conform), or else there will be serious repercussions. Reminds me of another infamous saying - "Either you are with us, or you are against us".

If educated people think this way, I don't know of what value is a good education.

Old September 19, 2007, 05:27 PM

I know one thing for sure. Im not going to draw cartoons that will enrage more than 1 person.
Old September 19, 2007, 05:38 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Miraz, please stop making comments about the poster and stick to the post.
And the comment is coming from Sauron?

Really made my day.

Take a mild taste of your own medicine.

Quote:
I do not see the slightest correlation with the Prophet's image in the cartoon. I don't know where you see it.

What you are suggesting is that everyone better conform (or pretend to conform), or else there will be serious repercussions. Reminds me of another infamous saying - "Either you are with us, or you are against us".

If educated people think this way, I don't know of what value is a good education.
Well if you can't find correlation, I don't know whether I can make you understand. Anyway to help you, I haven't used the word image in the meaning of "picture" or "visual representation".

Conform to what? I am really sorry because I am not understanding the words you are putting in my mouth.

Care to explain?

Last edited by Miraz; September 19, 2007 at 05:46 PM..
Old September 19, 2007, 05:55 PM

fight fight fight. Man I love being a Bangladeshi.
Old September 19, 2007, 06:03 PM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
No lawyer was seen defending him in court.
This just shows how moderate we are. Our middle class don't have enough moral intrepidity to determine the right from good. BC e bose jotoi lafalafi kori na keno I know you know the candor of braggadocio.

Old September 19, 2007, 06:06 PM

It does not matter what or how the majority thinks, all it really matters is what the active interest group thinks. The keyword here is active. I think above 95% of Bangladeshi are moderate, but the rest 5% are active. And that is what we are seeing here.

RS Bhai, we can do at least something. We can email info@prothom-alo.com and tell them how we feel and what we think should have been done.

Better yet, just send a link to this thread.
Old September 19, 2007, 06:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
And the comment is coming from Sauron?

Really made my day.

Take a mild taste of your own medicine.
Glad to have made your day.

If I was you, I would have opened a separate thread complaining to all the members that this other seasoned member said something about me and I need to know if everyone agrees with him, because in that case I would resign from my post of BC editor. Unfortunately, I do not have a post to resign from, so I'll save it for later.

Quote:
Well if you can't find correlation, I don't know whether I can make you understand. Anyway to help you, I haven't used the word image in the meaning of "picture" or "visual representation".

Conform to what? I am really sorry because I am not understanding the words you are putting in my mouth.

Care to explain?
Again, you are the one that mentioned a correlation between Mohammad's (PBUH) image and the cartoon. I understand that you did not really refer to a picture or likeness when you used the word image. But still you will need to explain the correlation.

You are asking me to prove a negative. How can I prove that the correlation does not exist if I do not find the correlation? You have stated plainly that you see a correlation. The burden of proof is on you.

If this logic is giving you a headache, then don't bother responding. If you do not understand my english and want to ask for more clarification or explanation, then don't bother responding. But if you actually understood why the burden of proving the correlation is on you, please elucidate.
Old September 19, 2007, 06:19 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
I requested a clarification of this comment. As you are claiming that I am suggesting these words.

Probably you haven't understood my poor English.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauron
Again, you are the one that mentioned a correlation between Mohammad's (PBUH) image and the cartoon. I understand that you did not really refer to a picture or likeness when you used the word image. But still you will need to explain the correlation.
Anyway, Here's my clarification which was posted earlier in this thread.
Quote:
Publishing this type of cartoon which can be interpreted in many ways does not help in maintaining the harmony. I have no problem with the cartoon, but the response in Bangladesh can be well predicted. I just don't want to supply fuel to anything that creates unnecessary anarchy, we cannot simply afford that in current Bangladesh.
If you read Bangladeshi newspapers you should know by now about the different interpretation of the cartoon by the extremists.
Old September 19, 2007, 06:25 PM
Cricket Legend

For the sake of sticking to the topic, I give up. You win. Happy?