facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 11, 2014, 05:20 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman
Default The Liton Kumar Das Thread

This lad has been the player of the DPL so far. Comfortably leading the batting charts with 568 runs at 56.8 with five 50s and a 100 in 10 innings. The most impressive aspect of his batting however has to be his SR which is almost a run-a-ball (95.46). When you consider that almost all the other Deshi batsmen are struggling to get their SRs into the 70s on slow-low wickets not conducive for run-making, you get some perspective on just how well Liton has been batting. Should he carry on like this I wouldn't be surprised at all if he pips Imrul and Mominul to the plane to Australia as a wild-card selection.

Old December 11, 2014, 05:30 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Get him in the 15. Was he a backup for the Zim series? If so, that tells me the selectors are keeping an eye on him.

I fear they will bring him when he loses his form.
Old December 12, 2014, 12:22 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

From Prothom-alo:
গত সেপ্টেম্বরে কক্সবাজারে জিম্বাবুয়ে ‘এ’ দলের বিপক্ষে বেসরকারি টেস্টে দুরূহ উইকেটে তাঁর ব্যাটিং মুগ্ধ করেছিল নির্বাচকদের। এরপর এবারের ঢাকা লিগে ব্যাট হাতে নামলেই রান। সেই রানের স্রোত দেখে এ বছরই অনূর্ধ্ব-১৯ বিশ্বকাপ খেলা ব্যাটসম্যানকে মূল বিশ্বকাপের প্রাথমিক দলে রেখেছেন নির্বাচকেরা। তাতে যেন আরও অনুপ্রাণিত। একটি আক্ষেপ ছিল, কাল সেটিও পূরণ করে ফেললেন। লিগের দ্বিতীয় ম্যাচে প্রাইম দোলেশ্বরের বিপক্ষে আউট হয়েছিলেন ৯৮ রানে। কাল স্বাদ পেলেন লিস্ট ‘এ’ ম্যাচে প্রথম সেঞ্চুরির। দারুণ সেই ইনিংসের পথে লিগে প্রথম ব্যাটসম্যান হিসেবে ছুঁয়েছেন পাঁচ শ রান। ১০ ম্যাচে ৫ ফিফটি ও ১ সেঞ্চুরিতে তরুণ ওপেনারের রান এখন ৫৬৮। বিশ্বকাপ হয়তো খেলা হবে না এখনই। তবে বাংলাদেশের ক্রিকেটে নিজের আগমনীবার্তা জানান দিচ্ছেন লিটন দাস।
http://m.prothom-alo.com/sports/arti...-লিটন
Old December 12, 2014, 12:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

I have seen him bat once in last year's BCL match. He is really fluent on the off side. Can play excellent drives both on front and back foot!
Old December 12, 2014, 01:41 AM
ODI Cricketer

If Liton Das can maintain 50+ average with 90+ SR at the end of this DPL then I'll be inclined to take him to WC2015. He also played in Australia in U-19 WC where he averaged 50+ as well. This gamble may worth as much as taking Tamim, Shakib and Mushfique to WC2007.

We desperately need an above average top-order bat who can consistently give us stability at first 25 to 30 overs of an ODI match. Sakib and Mushfique will be ever more effective if our top 3 can bat till 30 overs consistently. In that case we will be able to score 280 to 300 runs consistently.
Old December 12, 2014, 02:37 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Anamul hasn't been too bad at getting the team starts, averaging 35.68 after 27 ODIs with 3 tons. But obliviously if liton can do similar Things to what he's currently doing in the DPL then he's going to be one heck of a batsman and hard to pass up.
Old December 12, 2014, 03:40 AM
Cricket Legend

He will be better than Soumya Sarkar i guess.
Old December 12, 2014, 04:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Get him in the 15. Was he a backup for the Zim series? If so, that tells me the selectors are keeping an eye on him.

I fear they will bring him when he loses his form.
He seems to have experience.
Old December 12, 2014, 04:43 AM
Cricket Guru

I think the strike rate in u19 days shouldn't be focused on too much, he's clearly improved in that department, good thing is he's kept his consistency all through his u19 days all they way to now so it shows he can keep up consistency over a prolonged period of time.
Old December 12, 2014, 08:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
From Prothom-alo:
গত সেপ্টেম্বরে কক্সবাজারে জিম্বাবুয়ে ‘এ’ দলের বিপক্ষে বেসরকারি টেস্টে দুরূহ উইকেটে তাঁর ব্যাটিং মুগ্ধ করেছিল নির্বাচকদের। এরপর এবারের ঢাকা লিগে ব্যাট হাতে নামলেই রান। সেই রানের স্রোত দেখে এ বছরই অনূর্ধ্ব-১৯ বিশ্বকাপ খেলা ব্যাটসম্যানকে মূল বিশ্বকাপের প্রাথমিক দলে রেখেছেন নির্বাচকেরা। তাতে যেন আরও অনুপ্রাণিত। একটি আক্ষেপ ছিল, কাল সেটিও পূরণ করে ফেললেন। লিগের দ্বিতীয় ম্যাচে প্রাইম দোলেশ্বরের বিপক্ষে আউট হয়েছিলেন ৯৮ রানে। কাল স্বাদ পেলেন লিস্ট ‘এ’ ম্যাচে প্রথম সেঞ্চুরির। দারুণ সেই ইনিংসের পথে লিগে প্রথম ব্যাটসম্যান হিসেবে ছুঁয়েছেন পাঁচ শ রান। ১০ ম্যাচে ৫ ফিফটি ও ১ সেঞ্চুরিতে তরুণ ওপেনারের রান এখন ৫৬৮। বিশ্বকাপ হয়তো খেলা হবে না এখনই। তবে বাংলাদেশের ক্রিকেটে নিজের আগমনীবার্তা জানান দিচ্ছেন লিটন দাস।
http://m.prothom-alo.com/sports/arti...-লিটন
And how do they know he won't play WC
Old December 12, 2014, 10:14 AM
Cricket Legend

At this rate, Anamul has stiff competition - another opening keeper-batsman.
Old December 12, 2014, 04:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

His average in the U19 team was a 47 in 15 matches with 1 century and 4 half centuries. I don't know his SR but his SR was somewhere in the 60's.

I remember him in the U19 WC in Australia. Him and Soumya opened the batting while Anamul batted at 3. I remember how his slow batting was really ticking people off especially while Soumya was batting more fluently. Even though he was batting slowly, he still racked up very good numbers which impressed me.

The next U19 WC he did much better with his SR and at the same time performed well. Him and Shadman were the best performers.

Hopefully he gets his chance soon whenever it is. He's definitely a player to keep an eye on.
Old December 12, 2014, 05:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Pl...08/288208.html
Old December 12, 2014, 06:44 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Abahani's Liton Kumar Das acknowledges the crowd's applause as he leaves the field after hitting a century against Kalabagan Cricket Academy yesterday. PHOTO: The Daily Star
Old December 13, 2014, 07:53 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

a very strong contender to be in the final XV for the World cup
Old December 14, 2014, 11:43 AM
ODI Cricketer

Micheal Clake is his "idol" as batsman, though he likes Mark Boucher the most as wicket-keeper. (Source - Ekattor TV interview)
Old December 14, 2014, 11:56 AM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I played with this guy once during his U-17 days and even then everyone who saw his batting knew that he's the real deal. So I won't be surprised at all if he is picked in the WC squad as a wild card entry and I firmly believe there's a high chance he'll prove his worth.
Old December 14, 2014, 12:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal

Abahani's Liton Kumar Das acknowledges the crowd's applause as he leaves the field after hitting a century against Kalabagan Cricket Academy yesterday. PHOTO: The Daily Star
He is looking tall. This is good.
Old December 14, 2014, 12:21 PM
ODI Cricketer

^^ He did not look that tall in Ekattor TV interview today. He's probably 5'-6" but he's only 19. I guess he'll grow couple of inches in height.
Old December 14, 2014, 03:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi
I played with this guy once during his U-17 days and even then everyone who saw his batting knew that he's the real deal. So I won't be surprised at all if he is picked in the WC squad as a wild card entry and I firmly believe there's a high chance he'll prove his worth.
Nice to hear someone we can look forward to.
Old December 14, 2014, 05:55 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket4All
^^ He did not look that tall in Ekattor TV interview today. He's probably 5'-6" but he's only 19. I guess he'll grow couple of inches in height.
As a batsman he doesn't need to be tall, might make a difference in his keeping but the way he's playing atm he can be picked as a pure bat so keeping doesn't even necessarily have to come into it.
Old December 14, 2014, 10:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Nah, he's not very tall from what I've seen. "Tall" would have to be minimum 5'10", I should think. Height isn't even an issue as he's a batsman. But he was around during Anamul's peak in the U19s team and is performing better than him in the domestic league. Hopefully he's the real deal.
Old December 14, 2014, 10:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Maybe Razi bhai can confirm since he played with him but I'd say Litton's about 5'7". I saw him standing next to Soumya and he looked about 2-3 inches shorter on TV. Soumya I'd say is about 5'10"-5' 11"
Old December 15, 2014, 12:10 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
As a batsman he doesn't need to be tall, might make a difference in his keeping but the way he's playing atm he can be picked as a pure bat so keeping doesn't even necessarily have to come into it.
Exactly. I can understand this height debate if he was a tearaway fast bowler. As far as batting goes height has absolutely nothing to do with it. Ask Miandad, Gavasker, Tendulkar, Aravinda and most recently the Little Big PheMo.

But, as far as keeping goes, being of a short stature is a big advantage when keeping to the spinners -especially, in the sub-continent. So, its all good for Bangladesh.

Back to Litton, He needs a couple of big scores in the Super League matches to give the selectors a headache. In todays big game, unfortunately, didn't get a score.

Last edited by BanCricFan; December 15, 2014 at 12:59 AM..
Old December 15, 2014, 12:14 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Regardless, even if he does not make it to the World Cup XI, he is still a top contender to break into the National Team someday, sometime very soon. With his consistency in DPL so far, at least he is on the radar.