facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 18, 2010, 01:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Hey Neel I was getting ready to blast your post but after playing the video, this is something I can appreciate. This is a japanese lady who learned bangla and then sang Baul as opposed to using ektara and singing a dumb japanse song and naming it "japanese Baul". If anything the youtube video of Neel deserves a thread of its own. It is beautiful and relates to us.

Old September 18, 2010, 03:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb

Regarding the opening post, the suggestion that Tzur visited India and "discovered" Qawwali is highly an insulting one.

These are traditions we have grown up with and all of a sudden our tradition is "crap" and some guy raping the sanctity of Qawwali is intriguing. Good thinking. Why doesn't Tzar learn the language and then sing Qawwali. It's like singing Tagore songs in Hindi - oh wait weren't there attempt to bastardize tagore by bollywood?

To be honest, I don't think the thread is crappy but the tone of Electrequiems posts irked me. He sounds like he found the next Nobel peace prize candidate and Qawwali found its saviour.
Thanks for an on-topic reply.

1) Show me where exactly in my opening post I said he "discovered" Qawwali in India. I said he went to India and fell in love with the genre. Don't make up sh*t for your bs arguments. Or maybe you truly can't read - in that case, I apologize. Also, why would it be "insulting" if someone went to India and discovered Qawwali? WTF are you getting at, dude?

2) "...raping the sanctity of Qawwali" ... Do you have any idea how many languages "Qawwali" is sung in? Do you know how loosely defined the genre is? This has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard in my life. I even highly doubt you listened to the damn songs I posted, in which case (and probably due to few others...) you are unqualified to be making judgments here.

3) Now where the effing EFF did you pick that up? Talk about exaggerations! My "tone" "irked" you? Where the eff did I even HINT that Tzur was saving Qawwali? If anything, you deserve a Nobel Peace prize for being the Knight Don Quixote - the protector of Qawwali's sanctity.

I highly doubt you even care about the fact that Tzur sang this in Hebrew. You don't give a sh*t about what you perceive to be a bastardization of the genre. If you did, that would have been your first reaction as opposed to "gay thread...what does this have to do with us ... don't open so many new threads blah blah blah" - but now, just to keep the dbag fire burning in you, you are clutching at straws.

Why so grouchy, dude? Kajer bua not lovin' you enough?

Mona,

Glad you found Tzur's stuff interesting. I've heard of Mumford and Sons, and they are pretty damn fascinating too. They seem to be channeling George Harrison's spirit.
Old September 18, 2010, 04:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem
Thanks for an on-topic reply.
See Elec (this is what Mona calls you right ador kore), You think you are clever opening with this sentence? See how your tone changes from this sentence to the rest. I have never went off topic in anyone of my post. You were itching to reply to me but you declared you wouldn't go down to my level (or up to my level in your case) yet you couldn't help it - which proves you are more interested in what I think about your little Hebrew songs appreciation than the song itself. Because had you cared about the song, you would have posted it in the RIGHT thread.

Since Qawwali is sung in many many different languages, why is it that Hebrew Qawwali gets a thread? Tell me buddy. What is your rationale? That you have solved middle east crisis ("bridging gaps or whatever u call it by qawwali that Fateh ali had done it for 2 decades now") in a public forum for Bangladeshis.

Quote:
I highly doubt you even care about the fact that Tzur sang this in Hebrew.
You are right I absolutely DON"T care. But I wonder why you do?

Quote:
Mona, Glad you found Tzur's stuff interesting.
Mona would find a chimpanzee noise interesting because its different from what "deshis" listen to. This is a girl who thinks moon sighting for Eid is archaic and tradition of Eid salami is "crap". I wouldn't value her opinion regarding what belongs in FC or what doesn't - especially things that deal with culture, tradition, identity etc. who the hell gave her "forever bangy" title?? We should take out the B from bangy.

"Forever Angy"
Old September 18, 2010, 05:16 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Tell me buddy. What is your rationale? That you have solved middle east crisis ("bridging gaps or whatever u call it by qawwali that Fateh ali had done it for 2 decades now") in a public forum for Bangladeshis.

Mona would find a chimpanzee noise interesting because its different from what "deshis" listen to. This is a girl who thinks moon sighting for Eid is archaic and tradition of Eid salami is "crap". I wouldn't value her opinion regarding what belongs in FC or what doesn't - especially things that deal with culture, tradition, identity etc. who the hell gave her "forever bangy" title?? We should take out the B from bangy.

"Forever Angy"
Idummy, that was an epic LAWL moment. I literally laughed out loud at the Starbucks reading this.
Old September 18, 2010, 05:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

pardon me, but what does qawali have to do with the ME crisis anyway ?

Quote:
It's like singing Tagore songs in Hindi - oh wait weren't there attempt to bastardize tagore by bollywood?
btw orphy, why are you against people singing songs of a particular genre outside its traditional language ? you do know that the bearded one himself experimented in this fashion quite a lot ? many of his songs have tunes from european music for instance.
Old September 18, 2010, 06:01 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona
Multiple, pointless threads about Ashraful on the main forum where people are already highly strung because of our 'performance' can not be compared to Elec, who hardly posts, let alone opens threads!
Mona, that's the dumbest logic I've heard so far. Admins & boss, like Zunaid, RS, Ahmed_B or mods like RazabQ, ATMR okay may be not ATMR also "hardly post[s], let alone open threads" but I expect them to get jumped the same if they open a crappy thread or insensitive one titled "What was Hitler's favorite food?"

Now I for one is slowly getting proselytized by Orphy -thank God it's not Rifat- that a thread SHOULD pertain and be relevant to the group of people. He did make a good point that or else anyone could've posted some random stuffs about Japanese news that no one cares.

Although Hebrew Qawali is sui generis in it's own right kind of like unclassfied platypus or like Purbasha whom you can't put in any sexual taxonomy, it may or may not deserve a thread. But I agree with elec (that's what I call him too ador kore) that if you don't like a damn thread then don't reply.

And coming back to your retarded logic mona, there are countless members here who don't post that often or let alone open threads but suddenly that doesn't give them carte blanche to open some advertising threads or a pointless thread about mating behavior of octopus or say the fourier transform of linear algebra. This is where Orphy drove it to home. On the other hand guys like offstump and Eshen opens countless "informative" threads where we shouldn't have any problem with it because if I may quote a mod [who shall remain nameless] from a private discussion: "opening threads is not the problem, opening bad threads is..."

I for one got zillion ideas that fascinates me.

- shamanistic spirit summoning of the yanomami
- polynesian tattoo
- application of Hopfield network in neural network model
- Zoroastrian cremation
- dowsing and other forms of divination
- Manning superbowl match

etcetera, but I try to refrain from opening threads simply as Sreeman Orpheus put it because one can open about any thread they want if there is no constraint.

So hats off to Orphy for.... <--- pretend i am just a choir boy from your local church....

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles

Last edited by Zeeshan; September 18, 2010 at 06:07 PM..
Old September 18, 2010, 06:05 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
Idummy, that was an epic LAWL moment. I literally laughed out loud at the Starbucks reading this.
Get back to your effin job. Customers waiting...

Old September 18, 2010, 06:20 PM
Cricket Savant

By the way, it's LISA RAY who kept Qawwali alive, not Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.

Old September 18, 2010, 06:22 PM
Cricket Legend

man, that is so true !
Old September 18, 2010, 06:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
See Elec (this is what Mona calls you right ador kore), You think you are clever opening with this sentence? See how your tone changes from this sentence to the rest. I have never went off topic in anyone of my post. You were itching to reply to me but you declared you wouldn't go down to my level (or up to my level in your case) yet you couldn't help it - which proves you are more interested in what I think about your little Hebrew songs appreciation than the song itself. Because had you cared about the song, you would have posted it in the RIGHT thread.
Seriously? You started off by replying that this is a "gay thread" and that it doesn't pertain to us, then went on an onslaught of posting videos by "Moon," and several other comments about your love for male undergarments. Yup. You stayed on topic.

My thanks to you was sincere. I said I wouldn't reply to any of your posts if it didn't deal with the topic of Hebrew qawwali, and your last post DID.

Go "up to your level?" Sorry, my head doesn't go that far up my a*s.

Quote:
Since Qawwali is sung in many many different languages, why is it that Hebrew Qawwali gets a thread? Tell me buddy. What is your rationale? That you have solved middle east crisis ("bridging gaps or whatever u call it by qawwali that Fateh ali had done it for 2 decades now") in a public forum for Bangladeshis.
Hebrew qawwali gets its own thread because of its rarity. Two cultures that are often seen at odds with each other are being musically assimilated. Its not that difficult to understand. And once again, you are being exaggerative. Do you like to blow everything out of proportion?

Quote:
You are right I absolutely DON"T care. But I wonder why you do?
Did you read anything after past the first line of that paragraph? If not, here it is again:

Quote:
I highly doubt you even care about the fact that Tzur sang this in Hebrew. You don't give a sh*t about what you perceive to be a bastardization of the genre. If you did, that would have been your first reaction as opposed to "gay thread...what does this have to do with us ... don't open so many new threads blah blah blah" - but now, just to keep the dbag fire burning in you, you are clutching at straws.
Good job of ignoring everything else I said in my last post. Kinda figured you wouldn't have anything to refute. Or maybe you couldn't twist them out of context which tells me you are losing your touch, man.

Zee,

How/who determines what topic deserves a thread and what doesn't? And why the F is it even important? Like I said before - its a public forum. Anyone can open a thread on absolutely ANYTHING as long as its within forum rules. How many people can relate to it is and should never be a factor.

If you don't like this thread, you have your red-arrows. Don't play the "holier than thou" card.
Old September 18, 2010, 06:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Great article on Shye:

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?261520

Quote:
“If someone says that my music bridges these two cultures, my answer would be that I don’t see much need for a bridge because I don’t see much of a difference between them. Maybe I am blind, but nothing feels foreign. Whatever differences there are, they are part of the divine harmony, no?” he [Shye] asks.
Old September 18, 2010, 07:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem
Hebrew qawwali gets its own thread because of its rarity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeshan
I for one got zillion ideas that fascinates me.

- shamanistic spirit summoning of the yanomami
- polynesian tattoo
- application of Hopfield network in neural network model
- Zoroastrian cremation
- dowsing and other forms of divination
- Manning superbowl match
We like rare members like Zeeshan but we don't like his rare topics. We like rare beef but not rare rice. A forum thrives by the content its members post. This forum is not yet fully "member driven - ie voting down to oblivion" so someone has to voice their opinion. But I guess sometimes silence is the best form disapproval.

Quote:
Great article on Shye:
you are funny man. I will leave your thread alone. I hope BC members enjoy your thread Good luck!
Old September 18, 2010, 08:13 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Thanks Zee for posting the afreen afreen song. Now finally I can relate with this thraed

By the way, I don't think that Israely dude deserve a thread. "Song" thread would be more perfect but if somebody else does that's also OK with me.
So, orphy - back off! Your protest "Djibouti" thread su*k too. one more useless thread in last 24 hours like this one!
Old September 18, 2010, 09:32 PM
Forever Bangy

Haha Orph you can't leave yet.

Quote:
Mona, are you serious? This guy is keeping Qawwali alive??
HAHAHAHAHAH. You guys are soooo predictable. You know I originally wrote that sentence as, 'it's good to see him keeping this music alive' but I KNEW someone would get all uptight about it and jump on it so I added the word 'helping'. Simply by making this music, he is by definition, helping to keep it alive. I never claimed he was the sole reason for its continued existence (I don't know anything about it anyway).

Quote:
Have you heard of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan?
Of course I have. Unfortunately though it's extremely tough for him to keep it alive, not being alive himself. I'll anticipate your response and say of course him being the most important modern Qawwal could never be denied or forgotten because of the availability of his abundant recorded music and the contributions of the people he influenced and inspired. However, unfortunately for us, he isn't here physically to keep it going.

Quote:
You don't click on it cuz Fab probably didn't cook on Eid cuz she was busy
You're absolutely right she was busy. But my mother has ALWAYS cooked, without fail, every year on both Eids. I've always enjoyed having people over, I love Eid. It doesn't mean I have to list every single item my mum cooked on BC. My point with that anyway is that everybody has different opinions on what makes a thread interesting, so how can you possibly have a measure on what's good or not (bar the obvious).

Quote:
you didn't get any money because you are too stuck up to be touching elder's feet. These are traditions we have grown up with and all of a sudden our tradition is "crap"
Haha I was under the impression that once you're an adult you don't get any salaami? God dang it, you mean I've missed out on 7 years worth of serious money? Come on Orph, even you with your skewed interpretation of reality can't deny that salaami (wtf is Eidi?) has always been more about how much one can weedle out of the elders rather than respecting them by touching their feet. It's a Hindu tradition anyway.

Quote:
and some guy raping the sanctity of Qawwali is intriguing
Any fool can see that he has the highest respect for that type of music and its singers. Watch the video. Bollywood on the other hand is ALWAYS about trying to make money by exploiting established icons and NEVER about art.

Quote:
Everything leading up to.."Forever Angy"
Lol, screw you. You don't know me! (think angry woman on Jerry Springer)

Now for Grand Master Zee..

Don't be daft. We all have frontal lobes with areas that inhibit us from going on with ridiculous behaviour. I think most people have the capacity to understand that starting a thread on the mating behaviours of Octopusses (Octopii? What's the plural for that?) would mean that people would find it rather hard to take you seriously in the future. In addition to that, we have the capacity to gauge whether a thread will go down well or not. I guess this is where your beloved Orphy's hypothesis about relevance comes in. Well this thread isn't so far removed from our culture. Most of us are Muslims, and Sufism can be considered an Islamic form of expression and Qawwali is music pertaining to that. See much less than six degrees. Not to mention, who doesn't love hearing about Israelis! Anyway, I think the relevance thing is bull, maybe the FC subheading should be changed from 'Talk about anything' to 'Talk about anything (must have prior approval from our Dear Leaders Zee and Dumb)'.

How is my logic retarded? If person 'x' relentlessly opens 'irrelevant' threads that no one reads, he would get lynched here. If person 'y' opens threads that only around 4 people care for but only does it once or twice a year, it would be really petty for anyone to care, especially on a board that's not exactly overflowing with topics. Is it precious Internets space that's getting used up? Is the 0.6s it took you to read the thread title too much to spare out of your clearly busy life? (I for one will never forgive you two for making me waste over an hour on this when I'm supposed to be studying). Elec (amar adorer baccha) never opened a thread that was offensive, mercenary or insensitive. It was just a little bit different.

P.S - If you have anything interesting to say about Zoroastrian cremation, I'll happily read it.

Btw thanks Neel for suggestions.
Old September 18, 2010, 09:44 PM
Cricket Savant

Scroll up and look what you have done mona.

I think you are a defector working for Mossad. I hope you are happy now.

Last edited by Zeeshan; September 18, 2010 at 09:51 PM..
Old September 18, 2010, 10:31 PM
Cricket Legend

zee, there are not many neanderthals around who are still forced to watch advertisements above BC threads.
Old September 19, 2010, 12:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona
you can't leave yet.
Mona, your post was funny and you've made your points. I just don't see me winning here with you leading Zeeshan's "BC beef" list.