facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 3, 2003, 02:52 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default ...

[Edited on 6-11-2004 by Nascer]

Old September 3, 2003, 03:05 PM
Test Cricketer

Thanks Nascer, that was a great interview!
Old September 3, 2003, 03:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Clearly Dav wants sumon to set an example to the younger players, to lead by example and I hope Dav is seriously thinking about him as capt. There should have been a question relating to the captaincy issue, such as his thoughts on how he would manage/cope as a captain.
Old September 3, 2003, 03:08 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Good stuff Nascer bhai

Indeed Nascer bhai! I hope Sumon proves the wisden interviewer wrong and goes on to dazzle even at the ripe old age of 32 May be he can be our Aravinda de Silva
Old September 3, 2003, 03:14 PM
Test Cricketer

I don't think he should be made captain, there is enough pressure on him as our star batsman, adding the burden of captaincy as well may affect his performance negatively.

Top batsmen have always performed badly when given captaincy, look at Sachin and Lara.
Old September 3, 2003, 04:28 PM
ODI Cricketer

Now THAT was a Captain's interview! Not the crap Khaled Mahmud spews out. If Bashar can't be made captain, at least let him speak for the team not LATIF and definately NOT Khaled Mahmud!
Old September 3, 2003, 05:36 PM
Cricket Legend

great points made by bashar, very forthright. Am curious if he spoke in english (ie those were his exact words) or if the intereview transcript is a translation (of Bangla, Hindi, urdu, who knows?).
Old September 3, 2003, 06:01 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

If somebody else besides Sumon is made the next captain when or if Khaled Mahmud retires from his captancy, then it will be only a time wastage for a Bangladeshi victory.
Old September 3, 2003, 08:20 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

That was masterful interview. He would be great asset as captain.
Old September 3, 2003, 08:53 PM
Banned

Puleeeeeeeez !

The interview just means that he might be a good strategist, not a brilliant tactician. That he might be too, but you cannot say that from his remarks. Amazing. From Sumon's vantage point (being a very good batsman), obviously everything is rosy.

Clearly, Sham, Nazeem Shirazi, & only one or two other people on this board have played cricket at any serious level.
Old September 3, 2003, 09:39 PM
Club Cricketer

Default bohot accha

very joss interview
Old September 3, 2003, 10:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Pundit bhai,

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I don't know whether its because of the lack of experience or something else, but most people don't quite seem to realize that there is a huge difference between being a good player, perhaps even an exemplary player, and a good captain.

We are reading too much into this interview. It was a good interview. Sumon said everything he is supposed to say:

1. Dav Whatmore has done really well in the short time that he has been around, especially in motivating players.

2. He is trying to set an example for the younger players and shoulder the responsibility of being the number 1 batsman.

3. He is still not that great at curbing his aggression at times but he is working on it.

4. There are younger players with promise who will come through in the next few years.

5. The tour to Australia was the turning point.

He also said that we need a match-winning spinner. I think Rafiq is turning into a bit of a match winner for Bangladesh. I wish we had a genuine quickie. Masri is the quickest we have, but he is still in the low 80s. If we had a bowler who could bowl in the high 80s, that would make a big difference. Maybe Shafaq will come up and bowl really quick.

Anyway, going back to the point I was making, I saw nothing in this interview to suggest that Sumon will be a great captain. I would be really scared to hand him the captaincy. Right now, he can concentrate on his batting and obviously its coming off really well. What a series he is having. Why add the burden of captaincy on him and potentially harm his batting?