facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 23, 2007, 04:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Please credit the appropriate source.

Old May 23, 2007, 04:56 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: SHAHRIAR NAFEES!!!!!!!!!!

bengali, bengeli, bangali-------> which do we choose?
Old May 23, 2007, 04:59 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvlee_nik
All of them are misleading, the correct one is Bangladeshi.
Old May 23, 2007, 08:12 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:

heyyy...
when we talk bout language its bengali
but when we talk bout ourself its Bangladeshi...
we are bengali but as we live in bangladesh we are to be called bangladeshi not bengali as that indicates to ppl who live in West Bengal
Most ppl have living in Bangladesh calls themselve Bengali which is officially rong!!!
Old May 23, 2007, 08:13 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-Shardul
Exactly bro.
u got it rite.
Most ppl think we can be called Bengali though we are Bangladeshi and also that callin bengali would indicate us to be from West Bengali. Hope every1 realises this and start calling themselves Bangladeshi
Old May 23, 2007, 08:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Didn't we have another thread on this?
Old May 23, 2007, 09:02 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner
Exactly bro.
u got it rite.
Most ppl think we can be called Bengali though we are Bangladeshi and also that callin bengali would indicate us to be from West Bengali. Hope every1 realises this and start calling themselves Bangladeshi
what do you call your language?
Old May 23, 2007, 09:12 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Umpires

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayul1
the skipper said ... "It's changed. Take the recent one-day series against India. Earlier, fans would have said, 'Bad luck, you fought well.' Now they ask me, 'Mian, why didn't you win?'"
My response to Habla: ..... those days are over when you earned a respectable defeat and dig for some 'positives'. Just step aside and bring in the real tigers of the new generation (Tamim, Shakib, Mashrafee, Ashraful, Rasel etc), you pussy cat.

I remember the days when MCC, Dekkan Blues (and what not) would come in and kick some BD a**. We were amateurs..but things have changed. Now we got good infrastructure (after pumping in tons of money), coaches, academies..and our kids get trained in BS, AUS etc. We have seen the positive trends in the late 90s and early 00s when respectable defeat felt so refreshing and inspiring. You Hablu..are stuck in the early 90s. You think 40 runs average can leverage your caveman-approach to captaincy and spineless leadership in the field. You think you will enjoy adolescence till the age of 60. Even little Tamim is more mature and positive than you. Wake up, retire and grow up.

To Mods: Sorry bhai..maaf koira diyen if I offended any one else.

Last edited by Tintin; May 23, 2007 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: mod.edit : no, no, no
Old May 23, 2007, 09:20 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

dui bangali, so close yet so far... i see a feel good movie in the works...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 23, 2007, 09:33 AM
Cricket Legend
WC 2015 Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer
what do you call your language?
Bangla...
Old May 23, 2007, 09:35 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
bangladeshi bangla.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 23, 2007, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
bangladeshi bangla.
Language vs ethnicity?

Bangladeshi Bangali
Bangladeshi Bangla
West Bengali (or Indian) Bangla
West Bengali (or Indian) Bangali

Anyway - that is all off topic.
Old May 23, 2007, 07:53 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-Shardul
When speaking in English , people are called Bangladeshi. Language is called Bengali.

Jokhon Banglay kotha bola hoy, tokhon desher manushkey daka hoy Bangali. Ebong vashakey bola hoy Bangla.
Old May 24, 2007, 02:38 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Language vs ethnicity?

Bangladeshi Bangali
Bangladeshi Bangla

"bengali" is the english word for bangali or banglalee. like say, the word "spanish" is for espanol. i prefer to use the term bangladeshi bangali in order to describe my nationality and ethnicity. being a nakhshabandi muslim supercedes all that in a global citizen kind of way... but that's really off topic.

the bangladeshi vernacular's different from the indian one, and the gap is widening because of obvious differences between our national/social/religio-cultural (NOT religious) experiences. we have distinct dialects like siloti and cha'ntgaiya with deep southeast asian influences also, with the dialents from b'baria and noakhali serving as the more bangla-oriented versions for each. ethnicity-wise, we have 65 non-bengali, indigenous bangladeshi tribes who have their own cultural identity... we're very diverse indeed.

ukranian eventually became a separate language altogether because of similar differences in experience. the serbo-croatian example in the former yugoslavia is a good one too. serbs are orthodox, croatians are catholic, and most bosnians are muslim. they all speak serbo-croatian but the dialects are increasingly evolving into distinct languages since they've become independent. the serbian version has more russian/polish/other slavic words, whereas the croatian version has more latin/german words. the bosnian version has more turkish words. the differences between continental portuguese and its brazilian counterpart, or between dutch and afrikaans, or between peruvian and argentine spanish are other such examples.

arnab can point out the differences between the two spoken banglas better than i... good new topic.

Last edited by Sohel; May 24, 2007 at 03:24 PM..
Old May 24, 2007, 02:49 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: PRINCE OF KOLKATA!!!

Quote:
the bangladeshi vernacular's different from the indian one, and the gap is widening because of obvious differences in our national/social/religio-cultural (NOT religious) experiences. we have distinct dialects like siloti and cha'ntgaiya with deep southeast asian influences also, with the dialents from b'baria and noakhali serving as the more bangla-oriented versions for each. ethnicity-wise, we have 65 non-bengali, indigenous bangladeshi tribes who have their own cultural identity... we're very diverse indeed.

ukranian eventually became a separate language altogether because of similar differences in experience. the serbo-croatian example in the former yugoslavia is a good one too. serbs are orthodox, croatians are catholic, and most bosnians are muslim. they all speak serbo-croatian but the dialects are increasingly evolving into distinct languages since they've become independent. the serbian version has more russian/polish/other slavic words, whereas the croatian version has more latin/german words. the bosnian version has more turkish words. the differences between continental portuguese and its brazilian counterpart, or between dutch and afrikaans, or between peruvian and argentine spanish are other such examples.

arnab can point out the differences between the two two banglas better than i... good topic.
its true, as a west bengali in the UK, i barely understand the sylet bangla my bangladeshi friends speak, even the dhakaiya bangla I struggle with, which is meant to be more like kolkata bangla. If i dont understand I just nod and smile....
Old May 24, 2007, 02:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalipri
its true, as a west bengali in the UK, i barely understand the sylet bangla my bangladeshi friends speak, even the dhakaiya bangla I struggle with, which is meant to be more like kolkata bangla. If i dont understand I just nod and smile....
let's keep building those bridges bro... i know yawl are indians first and that's OK, but keep up the bangla, however hindified it may continue to become... i'm still called a "musholman" in kolkata by the way, the term "bangal" refers to our hindu compatriots from this side for most of the ones i've met over there... still not a bangali in the eyes of some of the calcatian elite... that's OK too. the term "bangladeshi" seems to satisfy most of us from either side.

Last edited by Sohel; May 24, 2007 at 03:01 PM..
Old May 24, 2007, 03:11 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
let's keep building those bridges bro... i know yawl are indians first and that's OK, but keep up the bangla, however hindified it may continue to become... i'm still called a "musholman" in kolkata by the way, the term "bangal" refers to our hindu compatriots from this side for most of the ones i've met over there... still not a bangali in the eyes of some of the calcatian elite... that's OK too. the term "bangladeshi" seems to satisfy most of us from either side.
of course mate, bangali brothers, its funny because in UK i found i have much more in common wiv bangladeshis than say punjabi and gujju indians, which is fine, after all its always nice to get ileesh maach at discount . i have been to dhaka when i was young i got to admit, much cleaner than kolkata, but then again i guess anywhere is cleaner than kolkata!! its good to see the bridges being made, i once went to this banglagames in kolkata where there was some athletics and other sports and the atmosphere was very friendly. as for the musholman lol, dont wory about that. thats typical kolkatan language, in there eyes im an NRI, before im a bengali!! i remember the support from bangladesh ganguly got when he was dropped, many people in kolkata were grateful for this, and you wouldnt belive how many were supporting bangladesh once india got knocked out.
Old May 24, 2007, 03:14 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
i have been to dhaka when i was young i got to admit, much cleaner than kolkata, but then again i guess anywhere is cleaner than kolkata!!
LOL bengalipri, you made me laugh.

I wanted to ask you, do you find it funny when Dhakaiya or Sylhetis talk to you in Bangla? Tell me honestly. I find Kolkatan Bangla very amusing. "Bujhlum, gelum, botey.. dada dada DADA!"
Old May 24, 2007, 03:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
of course mate, bangali brothers, its funny because in UK i found i have much more in common wiv bangladeshis than say punjabi and gujju indians, which is fine, after all its always nice to get ileesh maach at discount . i have been to dhaka when i was young i got to admit, much cleaner than kolkata, but then again i guess anywhere is cleaner than kolkata!! its good to see the bridges being made, i once went to this banglagames in kolkata where there was some athletics and other sports and the atmosphere was very friendly. as for the musholman lol, dont wory about that. thats typical kolkatan language, in there eyes im an NRI, before im a bengali!! i remember the support from bangladesh ganguly got when he was dropped, many people in kolkata were grateful for this, and you wouldnt belive how many were supporting bangladesh once india got knocked out.
i feel you bro...
Old May 24, 2007, 03:27 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
LOL bengalipri, you made me laugh.

I wanted to ask you, do you find it funny when Dhakaiya or Sylhetis talk to you in Bangla? Tell me honestly. I find Kolkatan Bangla very amusing. "Bujhlum, gelum, botey.. dada dada DADA!"

lol, i will be honest then mate, i find dhakaiya and syleti the most confusin thing in the world. a mate said theekashe and i was like wtf? u got lisp?? and i was tkn to a firends mum, and her english isnt great. so she speaks bengali, and my accent wiv my bengali is menna be amusing (i dunno how) so im tryin to understand and speak wiv the best possible bengali which she will understand...... so im not an expert, my shubho bangla isnt great when talkin to bangladeshis no offence, lol
Old May 24, 2007, 03:39 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
lol, i will be honest then mate, i find dhakaiya and syleti the most confusin thing in the world. a mate said theekashe and i was like wtf? u got lisp?? and i was tkn to a firends mum, and her english isnt great. so she speaks bengali, and my accent wiv my bengali is menna be amusing (i dunno how) so im tryin to understand and speak wiv the best possible bengali which she will understand...... so im not an expert, my shubho bangla isnt great when talkin to bangladeshis no offence, lol
Well TBH I don't understand Sylheti very well myself and find it equally funny. Most of us don't really talk in "Dhakaiya" either, it's more like "Cholito bhasha" (colloquial language) for ease of speech. That's why you hear 'theekasey' instead of 'thik achhe' in Shuddho bhasha (formal language). Original Dhakaiya accent is pretty different (and funny), and I hardly know anyone who speaks it.
Old May 24, 2007, 03:47 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Well TBH I don't understand Sylheti very well myself and find it equally funny. Most of us don't really talk in "Dhakaiya" either, it's more like "Cholito bhasha" (colloquial language) for ease of speech. That's why you hear 'theekasey' instead of 'thik achhe' in Shuddho bhasha (formal language). Original Dhakaiya accent is pretty different (and funny), and I hardly know anyone who speaks it.
ok lol, i guess its us west bengalis that speak the formal language, the POSH BASTARDS. dont get me started on accents, lol, i was in kolkata and i was menna say kothai, but i sed kutai, so obviously the guy i was speakin to wasnt impressed, he walks off in a strop, cursing these "arrogant NRIs hu come back to india and think their the greatest". so ive had my share of problems both abroad and in UK!!
Old May 24, 2007, 04:04 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
ok lol, i guess its us west bengalis that speak the formal language, the POSH BASTARDS. dont get me started on accents, lol, i was in kolkata and i was menna say kothai, but i sed kutai, so obviously the guy i was speakin to wasnt impressed, he walks off in a strop, cursing these "arrogant NRIs hu come back to india and think their the greatest". so ive had my share of problems both abroad and in UK!!
I get you, although I didn't imply Bangladeshis don't speak standard Bangla and West Bengalis do. It's just a variant of Bangla accent and certain use of terms. I meant the example you gave me of your friends, etc speaking is cholito bhasha and is common in BD. If I speak to say a Bangladeshi teacher/professional/stranger/elderly, I'd speak in standard/shuddho Bangla. Same goes for English.
Old May 24, 2007, 04:15 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
I get you, although I didn't imply Bangladeshis don't speak standard Bangla and West Bengalis do. It's just a variant of Bangla accent and certain use of terms. I meant the example you gave me of your friends, etc speaking is cholito bhasha and is common in BD. If I speak to say a Bangladeshi teacher/professional/stranger/elderly, I'd speak in standard/shuddho Bangla. Same goes for English.
of course ye, i didnt mean it like that, i just meant west bengalis are more likely to speak formally even in informal situations which confuses me, especially wiv my parents. i hope i didnt offend u
Old May 24, 2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Language vs ethnicity?

Bangladeshi Bangali
Bangladeshi Bangla

Lauding your vain effort

Last edited by ammark; May 24, 2007 at 08:12 PM..