facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 26, 2014, 12:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Partially true. That's why the Zia not being bowled in post #1 was a crucial misstep. Even then, we had too few runs on the board on this pitch even if India came here after a long losing streak.
the commies were very perplexed by that decision. a mini turning-point IMO.

in other things, watched BD team live after a long time. this bijoy chap is a pretty decent bat ! very calm and collected. doesn't have the nervousness that was the bane of even the talented BD bats of the past.

Old February 26, 2014, 01:06 PM
Cricket Legend

not winning the toss and bowl first....

but that being said, sending Nayeem before Nasir/Zia has nothing to do with our lose today. Even if we scored 330, India would have chased it...

I think team combination was wrong. Should have played Arafat Sunny instead of Gazi when Shakib is not playing...

but then again...dew factor was a MAJOR problem...
Old February 26, 2014, 01:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
- Besides not utilizing zia properly, Keeping Ali-Noor in the bench.
- Not realizing that Chokka Naeem has been converted into Goola (dot balls) Naeem for a while now. He should not have any role later in the innings whne we are trying to accelerate the RR.
- Nasir is no longer the Nasir we used to know.
I do not understand how Nayeem ever got the Chokka Nayeem tag......I have never seen him playing big shots at will. He's a pathetic player to be sent in the PP situation. He's at best a 1 or 2 down batsmen who needs to anchor an inning for the team.
Old February 26, 2014, 01:52 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
I wouldn't want to be in Mushy's shoes in these circumstances. Zia bowls at a gentler pace than Rubel and for all we know, Kohli could have spanked him for 20 runs in his 6th over. If he bowled in lieu of Rubel, leaked runs and didn't allow Rubel to complete his quota, then we'd be complaining of how 'clueless' captain Mushfiq did not bowl out the village gangster and had forgotten his ODI exploits against the Kiwis.
You do have a point. Its really tough to keep us BD fans, with as many diverse opinions as imaginable, happy.

Having said that, Mushy is still learning more about this game and at present his method of captaincy is a reactionary one (some might even accuse him of not reacting). He gets overawed by big name batters and gets defensive from the word go. Instead of trying to pick up their wickets early on (before they get in) his method is containing them. Therefore, you hardly see him employing couple of slips at any time. Even a lonely slip goes out to a run saving position just after an over.

Today, just after the fall of Sharma wicket he took off Zia immediately seeing and fearing a big name bat like Kohli walking in. It seems like he often forgets that even great basmen like Bradman or Viv Richards would have had some initial nervousness trying to get off the mark. He took off Zia thinking Kohli will tonk him rather than thinking Zia might be able to pick up his wicket. He was bowling rather well. This where Mushy is failing. I know our bowling resources are somewhat limited but the captain must have a bit more positive mindset than that. He is also under using Nasir or Momin the part time bowlers as he prefers to stick to a conservative "tried and tested" formulae. Or using them at the wrong time alltogether.

Even sending in Naeem during the PP instead of Nasir or Zia was a negative one. They were, perhaps, thinking a batting collapse rather than crucial runs to be scored on a placid pitch to set up a defendable score. We were in a position to go for the jugulars and get 20/30 more runs (with or without PP) which would have made a huge difference at the end. Of course, Nasir not doing well is also a factor here.

Mushy is still a very young captain but he needs to learn faster.
Old February 26, 2014, 02:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
I wouldn't want to be in Mushy's shoes in these circumstances. Zia bowls at a gentler pace than Rubel and for all we know, Kohli could have spanked him for 20 runs in his 6th over. If he bowled in lieu of Rubel, leaked runs and didn't allow Rubel to complete his quota, then we'd be complaining of how 'clueless' captain Mushfiq did not bowl out the village gangster and had forgotten his ODI exploits against the Kiwis.

Ultimately, I don't think Zia or Rubel would have made a difference.

What was disappointing to note was the air go out of the BD players in the 40th over. SL didn't go into cruise control in the last match even when Misbah and Umar were dispatching the ball to all parts. Just as our players are too quick in becoming self-satisfied/vain, they also become disheartened too easily.
True, Zia could've been taken apart by Kohli as well but if he wasn't bowling badly why on earth would you change him after bowling figures of 2-0-8-1?

I understand Mushy could've thought of using a quicker bowler to a new batsmen but by the time he brought Rubel Kohli and Rahane were already set on a pitch that was easier to bat on against bowlers over 140ks. By bringing in Rubel, Mushy just opened up the flood gate and handed the advantage to players like Rahane. The accumulation of these brain dead decisions are standing in our way these days more than ever before because we can now really win matches against good sides in ODIs.

In cricket, one particular decision may not have a direct impact on the result; it's the snowball effect that does.

Last edited by betaar; February 26, 2014 at 11:45 PM..
Old February 26, 2014, 02:33 PM
Cricket Sage

Actually last few times Zia with the ball in limited oevrs, he did pretty decent job ...got some wickets and was also ecomical ... therefore he (Zia) shouldn't be an unknown bowler to the team who suddenly got two good overs. He has already a good track record besides his lack of speed. He bowls pretty tidy, that's how he checks runs and eventually gets wicket. You try to hit too many balls against him, you take the risk of giving him a wicket.
Old February 26, 2014, 02:58 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Tbh, as I watched the match, I didn't feel as if Kohli was really straining himself to score (massive understatement, really). He didn't score much off the couple of overs from Zia that he faced, but there's no way of being sure that, given the form he is in, he wouldn't have managed to bludgeon him in subsequent spells.

None of the bowlers looked threatening against Kohli & Rahane after a couple of overs. Unlike the SL series, we didn't see a plethora of dropped catches (i.e. missed opportunities) or near run-outs. They didn't allow dot balls to accumulate during Raz's good overs and rotated the strike.

Hence, why I felt that switching Rubel with Zia would not make a huge difference.
Old February 26, 2014, 03:19 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

although I couldn't watch the 2nd half of the match but I think this was a match you can't blame anyone , what bothered me was sending Naeem instead of Nas or Zia .
Otherwise 300 would have been a good target, but no one except Mushy was able to boost the run rate.
Old February 26, 2014, 04:37 PM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Can't blame anyone for today's loss to be honest. India bowled brilliantly in the death overs and as everyone was saying they probably bowled more yorkers in this match then the entire year. Actually, I was pretty impressed with Zia's performance today although the scorecard might not reflect that, but I liked both his batting and bowling in this match. On the other hand, batting got incredibly easy after 20 overs due to heavy dew as the bowlers found it really hard to grip the ball and it also was nicely coming on to the bat and racing past the boundaries.
Old February 26, 2014, 05:51 PM

I saw the whole match. First thing is that India bowled uncharacteristically better than what they usually do. So, it's all credit to BD batsmen. The batting order didn't matter much ... Naeem, Zia and Nasir - all asked to basically throw their bat. Some day they hit and become hero, some other day they miss and gets you a feeling that they are worthless.
On the other hand, if Kohli opted for BK instead of VA right away, then BD may have been 10 more run less.
Bowling-time, taking Zia out of attack was a bit surprising. At the same time, you need to rely on Rubel - he's BD's go to strike bowler - even if he didn't perform in this case. I remember in a similar situation he got BD back into a match in NZ series with a hattrick.

I see some other strategic mistake out here. If they knew dew would be around then common strategic move is to bowl out spinners early and keep the pacer-overs for the end. So, Razzak could have come in 4th-6th over and Mash should be kept for later.
Old February 26, 2014, 05:54 PM
Banned

Mistakes:
-Shamsur's dodgy shot
-Why did Mominul have to come so forward and get stumped ?
-Sending Naeem and Nasir instead of Zia and Mashrafe at the crucial Pakistani style let's make runs like there's no tomorrow in the last 10 overs.
-Picking Mashrafe. Mashrafe isn't as great as he used to be. He used to get you a wicket within the first 5 overs. These days, he doesn't get a wicket in the entire match. He should be left in the T20 team. I would have played Al-Amin as he can swing the ball very nicely.
-Picking Razzak instead of Arafat. Razzak has become toothless. He just throws the ball slowly and hopes things will work. His ball absolutely does not spin! Shakib and Arafat can both spin the ball.
-Picking Naeem. I would have gone with Imrul who is a better batsman.
-Picking Nasir. Nasir has just lost the plot completely and is a liability at the moment. He should be dropped while he fixes his form and then he can be welcomed back.
-Not using Zia's quota. When Zia was being the most successful of all the bowlers, Mushy should have used him and used up all of his overs to see if we could get Kohli out.
Old February 26, 2014, 06:38 PM
Test Cricketer

- Anamul's out was unfortunate not mistake. I thought he was batting well though he was taking his time. Nonetheless he was really focused and I think as he was a set batsman he could have been a little more aggressive after his century. We could have had few more runs on the board.

- Sending Naeem and Nasir instead of Zia was the biggest mistake in my opinion. Zia is not the best batsman in our squad but he's had a pretty decent run in the domestic circuit. He could have had the score board ticking and whacking few loose deliveries every now and then.

Had we had at least 30-40 more runs we could have won the game easily.

Hindsight is always a 20-20 vision. Should've, could've, would've..

Lets beat the rest of the teams. I think it's possible.
Old February 26, 2014, 08:35 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

I agree fully with the mistakes listed by the thread opener

additional mistakes
-forgetting the fact that 300 is a par score against India on wickets like this
-There is no wait and defend tactics against players like Sanga, Kohli, Amla. You have to go all out and get these guys out. If they are allowed to rotate the strike they get set and get into the century making mode.
Need to employ creative field placements and bowling changes to put them off their rhythm
-Not picking Arafat Sunny who bowled well against SL
Old February 26, 2014, 09:10 PM
Banned

Here guys, my detailed review of this match BD v Ind Asia Cup 2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLgvOlZxTos
Old February 26, 2014, 11:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
I do not understand how Nayeem ever got the Chokka Nayeem tag......I have never seen him playing big shots at will. He's a pathetic player to be sent in the PP situation. He's at best a 1 or 2 down batsmen who needs to anchor an inning for the team.
Did you forget how he hit 6 marvelous in an over all around the park in a fc match?
Old February 26, 2014, 11:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReZ_1
Did you forget how he hit 6 marvelous in an over all around the park in a fc match?
I didn't forget; I just cannot justify his lack of hitting ability with this tag.
Old February 27, 2014, 02:56 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Team selection:

- Inclusion of Rubel & Gazi. Al-Amin & Arafat Sunny would have been better choice.

During the game:

- Bringing Rubel in while Zia was bowling good.

- Bowling short and wide repeatedly to Kohli which shows team management did not have proper plan against Kohli

- Bowling with Naeem, Mominul while it was clearly visible that genuine spinners like Razzaq & Shohag were struggling gripping the ball

- Giving easy single to Rahane and letting him to rotate the strike regulary to Kohli. The plan should have been to keep away Kohli from the strike as much as possible and to get him unsettled.