facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 26, 2018, 08:27 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Default Younger Players and Exposures

Note: Senior players and their contribution will be discussed separately. This is only for the up and coming young players.

We keep hearing that we are not giving them enough exposures. And due to that we will suffer tremendously once the senior bunches leave.

But I disagree that younger players are not getting opportunities. In fact, I doubt if we should even call some of them young anymore. Majority are in their mid 20s and north of that.

We lump all these players into the "younger category" and that is very misleading. So I am separating them below based on age and # of matches played.

In order of matches played: Test / ODI / T20

Group 1

Sabbir
11/53/41
Age 26
Debuted in 2014

Soumya
10/32/35
Age 25
Debuted in 2014

Mominul
19/26/6
Age 26
Debuted in 2013

Anamul
4/36/13
Age 25
Debuted in 2012

Group 2

Litton
10/12/12
Age 23
Debuted in 2015

Miraz

Age 20
14/10/9
Debuted in 2016

Mossaddek
Age 22
2/20/8
Debuted in 2016

----------

for comparison with younger players from other teams

LK Rahul (India)
Age 26
24/12/19

Kusal Mendis (SL)
Age 23
29/44/14

Babar Azam (Pak)
Age 23
13/46/20

----------

So clearly our Group A had enough exposures and has been in the international scene for almost 4-5 years. Group B does not provide a lot of hope either. So instead of Sabbirs/Soumyas/Anamuls maybe we should give more chances to Litton or can draft in even younger players like Shanto.

Old July 26, 2018, 08:46 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Yeah, totally Mufi, you are right. We Bangals (my family -immediate and extended) always we are young, my child is younger than the other kids, Boyosh churi, age complex...boyosh lukano habit, it is one of the many complexes that we possess. Amader player-ra ekebarey baccha boyosh...remember Dana cup football tournament and Gothia Cup in Sweden in the 80s? All the Euro and other countries players were 16 or below...aar amder team ekektaar boyosh 25-30- I mean pura paka dari moch ..we even had a few Taak-matha players !!
Old July 26, 2018, 08:49 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
.remember Dana cup football tournament and Gothia Cup in Sweden in the 80s? All the Euro and other countries players were 16 or below...aar amder team ekektaar boyosh 25-30- I mean pura paka dari moch ..we even had a few Taak-matha players !!
And we celebrated as if we have won the world cup..
Old July 26, 2018, 08:56 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
And we celebrated as if we have won the world cup..
Arrey Roman, Including myself! I was so naive and excited...didn't even know the real story the first few days.
I would tell and brag to my amma and abba, uncles and aunts, "Apnara jhanen, amra football-e onek egiye giyechi, we are winning cups in football Europe, we are becoming champions"...My amma/abba didn't keep up with sport and believed me solid and they would go, 'Ohh we are a poor nation, this is such honor, we are winning European cups in football now...these young boys of ours someday will bring the world cup home to us in 10-15 years!"
Ohh we did get our world cups! A plastic trophy that we would get when we used to buy Tiktikir Deem (tiny colored sugar-coated candies) for 1 taka from Mouchak Market and Shiddheshwari Kali Mondir Pooja Fair!
Old July 26, 2018, 09:00 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

What happened to Jahirul? I feel he was a guy that could have got more chances
Old July 26, 2018, 09:48 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
What happened to Jahirul? I feel he was a guy that could have got more chances
If I am not mistaken, Jahirul enrolled in law school!
Old July 26, 2018, 09:58 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
If I am not mistaken, Jahirul enrolled in law school!
Good for him..
Old July 26, 2018, 10:14 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Babar was quite the Under-19 batsman...heard of him since then. He always had that appetite for run-scoring.

Lokesh actually is the one who worked the hardest. He was out of favor after his under-19 days, then worked like crazy in the domestics. He had the resource of Rahul Dravid to his advantage though. Fitness is key. Practice makes perfect.

And what about Kusal Mendis? He instantly became one of the most liked batsmen in World Cricket for me after he made that mammoth ton against the Aussies in that series where they whitewashed them. What's most intriguing is his promotion to open the batting (in limited overs) by coach Hatursinghe...he took to it like second nature. Once you're a batsman, you can bat anywhere in the order
Old July 26, 2018, 10:29 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

^So was Anamul. He was the highest run scorer in the U19 WC in Australia.

Read this article on him from Isam --

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-unde...ry/579602.html

Some excerpts

Quote:
Anamul Haque lit up Bangladesh's failed campaign by finishing as the tournament's leading run-getter. With a promising future at stake, he should ensure his fortunes don't mirror some of his predecessors
Quote:
Despite the frustration of a quarter-final loss and ordinary performances from the bowlers, Anamul joined the likes of Graeme Smith and Chris Gayle to finish as the tournament's top run-getter. While these modern-day superstars should inspire him to work on a career that would give him "10 to 15 years at the top", he should be mindful of the cautionary tales at home.
It has been 6 years. He is yet to make a mark!!
Old July 26, 2018, 10:39 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
^So was Anamul. He was the highest run scorer in the U19 WC in Australia.

Read this article on him from Isam --

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-unde...ry/579602.html

Some excerpts

It has been 6 years. He is yet to make a mark!!
That's the frustrating thing. Minor technical deficiencies are what needs to be corrected before heading to the national team. He seems to have a temperamental issue as well. I really thought that last night he was going to set down the anchor and play one of his 'selfish' innings.

The footwork is the most obvious flaw in his batting. He needs to work it out with coach Neil McKenzie. The subtle changes in technique can make a huge difference in the long run.
Old July 26, 2018, 10:45 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
That's the frustrating thing. Minor technical deficiencies are what needs to be corrected before heading to the national team. He seems to have a temperamental issue as well. I really thought that last night he was going to set down the anchor and play one of his 'selfish' innings.

The footwork is the most obvious flaw in his batting. He needs to work it out with coach Neil McKenzie. The subtle changes in technique can make a huge difference in the long run.
of course. he debuted 6 years ago. you would assume that's enough time to work on these issues. but alas it is our "superstars" we are talking about.

he was the only "bright" spot from our U19 WC. and yet in 6 years the brightest player seems so dull.
Old July 26, 2018, 01:04 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
of course. he debuted 6 years ago. you would assume that's enough time to work on these issues. but alas it is our "superstars" we are talking about.

he was the only "bright" spot from our U19 WC. and yet in 6 years the brightest player seems so dull.
He debuted 6 years ago but he rarely played. In fact, Anamul only played 2 games between 2014 and 2018. That's 2 games in 4 years and none after 2015. Remember that he scored 109 in a total of 219 against West Indies and at West Indies
Old July 26, 2018, 01:07 PM
ODI Cricketer

Remember that our best players in Shakib, Tamim, Mushfiq, Mashrafe, Mahmudullah, and Mustafizur had all made early debuts. Bangladeshi domestic structure isn't that good (small boundaries don't help either) and young players need to be given international exposure before one can judge if they are good enough.
Old July 26, 2018, 02:02 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Biggest problem is the younger players are dumb as ****.
Not that the senior plyers are very smrt either but still they worked on their skills and becme good but our dumb young plyers cant.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old July 26, 2018, 02:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
Biggest problem is the younger players are dumb as ****.
Not that the senior plyers are very smrt either but still they worked on their skills and becme good but our dumb young plyers cant.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition

The keyword is DUMB.

Thus no improvement.
Old July 26, 2018, 02:30 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Yes thanks Mufi for.pointing this out! Every time more then half of our squad is filled with garbage youngsters but we still complain about not giving enough exposure. Some people would say oh Shakib, Tamim, Riyad, Mushy also got a lot of chances.. guess what? Those guys without the guidance of any seniors got more results even back in the days compared to these morons we are playing right now. These young idiots can't win a game even when the seniors do 90% of the job for them.
Old July 26, 2018, 02:43 PM
Cricket Savant

I have a message for this thread: Manonia MP Tarana Haalim ei somussa sumadhan-er junno Torun O Jubo-somaj-ke egiye asar junno ahuban janiyechen!
Old July 26, 2018, 02:58 PM
Cricket Sage

With the young players, its supposed to be pyramid method.

Just because they got the opportunity doesn't mean everybody should be expected to be the next superstar. In the process most should be phased out (over time), few will stay and shine.

May be the problem is the way we give them the opportunity and way we evaluate their growth and the way we reward them, the way we expect that every young player will be a instant success, otherwise its a failure....

Some young players got some opportunity (mentioned in the thread) for a while and still failing.....that's one way to see the situation. The other way is, may be ... we are giving the wrong young player too much opportunity at the wrong time, with no sign of improvement while we are ignoring some other young players.

Yes Sabbir is getting lot of opportunities these days withoutout any sign of imprevment, may be its best for him to take a break and show some improvement in team-A first.

Yes it SS got chances and showed little improvement. He should have demoted Little earlier, and now that he is in team-a suddenly we are binging him back most likely prematurely.

Mominul, the coach killer. May be Haturu was right that Monimul have some technical issue that will be exposed to certain pitch/opponent. Fans were mad for dropping Mominul, he is back and he is not doing well right now. Are we (BCB, player. fans) capable of taking criticism from experts about a player's weakness. i don't think so. Did he addressed his issues before he is back, I doubt it. Did we really expected Mominul to perform double century against WI in WI? We put him in a position to fail in this series.

Anamul, I have nothing to say. yes he is young and yes he talented. But did he deserved this opportunity? When he was dropped he was supposed to work on certain technical weakness. Did he showed any sign that he addressed them in local league? If he didn't improved in that aspect, why putting him in a position to fail again and then
screwing up his chances further?

Litton, yes we have some mixed result. but I see he addressed some of his technical flaws (shortcomings). But are we giving him enough chance? I don't think so. I think he needs to play more before we can get a feeling which way he is going.

Miraz, clearly he is improving. I see sign of maturity. He should continue to get more opportunity.

There are few other players who haven't played enough to say they are failure: Apu, nazmul, Afif, Rony, Zakir plus Arif (who is not young).

Giving chance half hazardly and without giving enough chance to improve or not monitoring improvement while giving unconditional chances are the problem in my opinion. Wehn you give a young player a chance, you need to stick with him to see if he is making mistakes and learning or not and then you make your judgement if he should be in the team or not. Plus when its obvious, a young player is not ready or his lack of skill is exposed, he should be dropped from the team with clear plan what he should work on outside the national team.

Now what we are doing is re-bottling old wine into new fancy bottles and hope for different taste and buying lottery ticket.... jodi laaaiga jai....we really don't have a clear plan for the team or the young players ...

So its easy to point fingers at the young players individually and say... see young player-x is failing, young player-y is failing.... so they are no good.... in my humble opinion, it just shows that the management and selectors are no good....they don't know how to pick the talent and how to put them in an environment for them to grow.
Old July 26, 2018, 03:18 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

My concern is that we should not lump all these non-senior players into just "younger players" category.

There are various categories of players.

Group 1 - older, more experienced, 4-5 years of experience
Sabbir, SS, Nasir, Anamul, Mominul

Group 2 - slightly younger. one or two years of experience, good domestic pedigree
Litton, Mosaddek, Miraz

Group 3 - untested and raw
Shanto, Arifur, Afif, Rony, and Zakir.

----

we clearly failed with group 1. right now we are pinning our hopes on group 2. and some are suggesting to skip and move over to group 3
Old July 26, 2018, 03:21 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

player management may have been poor from BCB or coaches. but these players should feel blessed they are in BD and not India, where they would be lucky to even make to ranji teams. anamul's peers like unmukt chand, sanju samson and younger players like rishab pant, shreyas iyer will only good few matches to show their skills. if they fail you will never from them again.

but we continue to call our "youngsters" back and give them so many chances..
Old July 26, 2018, 03:24 PM
Cricket Savant

Some of those guys from group 1 don't have 4 solid years of experience. They've been on and off
Old July 26, 2018, 03:33 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Anamul, I have nothing to say. yes he is young and yes he talented. But did he deserved this opportunity?
Anamul was second highest scorer in the domestic league after Shanto. He definitely deserved another chance. As for Liton, he himself hasn't made any improvement either. He will play with his natural instinct and lose his wicket cheap.
Old July 26, 2018, 03:35 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
player management may have been poor from BCB or coaches. but these players should feel blessed they are in BD and not India, where they would be lucky to even make to ranji teams. ..
Shouldn't almost all of our players (senior and junior) should feel blessed that they are in BD and not India? Actually our senior players should feel more luckier.... most of them have below average stat 1st half of their career and still playing like an irreplaceable players in Bangladesh.
Old July 26, 2018, 03:42 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zura
Anamul was second highest scorer in the domestic league after Shanto. He definitely deserved another chance. As for Liton, he himself hasn't made any improvement either. He will play with his natural instinct and lose his wicket cheap.
Did he addressed his technical issue to be successful in picth like WI or he is another Tushar, who can bully in local league? See, selectors, need to go little bit more in details than just stat.

Again I am not a expert here and we can agree to disagree. But I can see certain improvement in Litton's batting from when he first came. To me, his problem is mental, not technical. I don't think he got enough chance to say yet that he is a failure.
Old July 26, 2018, 03:46 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
Some of those guys from group 1 don't have 4 solid years of experience. They've been on and off
Exactly. And those on-and-off are not necessarily based on strictly performance. When they are on.... they are on for much longer time even when they are struggling; on the other hand we bring Zakir/Afif/Rony for one or two game... and suddenly they are gone for no obvious reason.