facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 10, 2014, 12:03 PM
Cricket Savant

Default Does Shakib al Hasan's ban conceal a deeper underlying motive?

Does Shakib al Hasan's ban conceal a deeper underlying motive?

Zeeshan Mahmud

Abstract

It is my contention that Shakib al Hasan's six month ban before the World Cup stemmed from political maneuver which has direct ramifications to the team's recent abject performance.

1. Introduction

In Japan there is an old proverb: "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down". Too often given the geopolitical background of the subcontinent and her effigy burning Plebian populace, as well as the diktat of realpolitik, it is more so the norm than the exception. And nothing highlights this farce and parody in the kabuki dance of the theater in Bangladesh Cricket Board's playground as marionetted by powers that be than the systematic witch hunt that usually takes place when a player becomes larger than life or often bigger than the Board itself. Krystallnacht follows. Systematic shutdown of system via Orwellian measures occurs -measure for measure- out of spite- whether it be taking daggers out under the cowl and clock of a cult who chooses to govern unilaterally, freely and ex oficio. Assuming null hypothesis I will make no pretention of an ulterior leitmotif and chiefly relying on empirical evidence I will make my case that Mr al-Hasan's ban for indiscipline is a caricature of justice.

1.1 Wherefore art thou Shakib al Hasan?

Although one must set aside such emotional and personal references as that of my scullion in Bangladesh who hails from Magura himself that in his village, world's number 1 all rounder did many humanitarian welfare, I shall sneak it in otherwise. However, let's backtrack a bit in retrograde analysis. Before Shakib al Hasan regained his numero uno spot recently, he was under the proverbial hammer - whether it be of Board or the Coach- many times. We fans know he is aloof and maintains distance from reporters. Whether it be Worcestershire stint where he did not entertain a chummy relationship with reporters who would most likely resort to mudslinging in riposte or whether the captain returned after a successful Zimbabwe tour in 2009 (?) to only lose his captaincy, the fans have traced a "hammer and sickle" like motif in the Board's regimen/t. Shakib al Hasan's middle finger incident in World Cup was a gross and agricultural affair; no denying that. As would be his lewd and indecent gesture of grabbing his crotch incident. But, these were just the fodder needed by the invisible powers when coerced into glasnost of what does Mr Nazmul Hossain Papon mean by "inhuman crimes" against humanity when Mr.Hasan was compelled to take action after his wife became another unfortunate of eve teasing victim in Bangladesh. And that's where the hammer came in conjunction with the newly appointed coach Hathurisinghe who actually chimed along with the Board neck-to-neck anonymously (unanimously?) dictating that the man be banned for his miscommunication denying him No Objection Certification (NOC)to play in Caribbean Premier Leagure which could have been overwhelmingly beneficial given current circumstances. One must naturally ask: "So which one is it Mr. Papon?" Is it because of standing by his ethics to defend his wife against eve teasing or his grotesque stubbornness not to carry out Board's ideals to play in CPL? Or should one dig the hole to find worm the serpentine case of Mr Hasan's egomaniacal desire to request his own hotel room or to dine with Tamim Iqbal emerges for not quite being the "team's man". Plot thickens.

1.2 Shakib al Hasan's accomplishments

Legal-speak would provoke that Shakib should be off the hook on cognizance. The litany follows: Born in 1987, Shakib al Hasan arguably is the best cricketer the country has ever produced. He was there for Bangladesh when Pakistan genuflected the team at 16/4 to see himself through to a valiant century although to a loss. He was there to destroy New Zealand to tatters in Test which the New Zealand would ultimately win by 3 wickets (October 18,2008). He had a beautiful Gatting delivery that spun like a witch to make mockery of Ian Bell. After Mr Watson's flamboyant brutal Mirpur knock of 185 runs (and then record of the highest sixes in an innings), Mr Hasan rebounded with halation and sexiness of James Bond to dismiss Watson bowled in IPL playing for Kolkata Knight Riders aptly entitled "Guillotine delivery". Speaking of IPL, he played a vital cog to see them through to trophy twice. If facts don't lie it was Mr. Hasan's last ball cool calm and collected six that ended West Indies' "String whachumacallit" innings in Test to "beat West Indies to win first ever away Test" as hailed by Telegraph. And that was just the beginning. Bangladesh not only defeated the "second string" side 2-0 in Test, but took all the ODI matches (not the only time as they took the series at home too later). And this doesn't even touch the statistical charting of ranks as #1 all rounder or as one of the handful of best bowlers.

2. 'There is no "I" in team'

Sans Shakib-al Hasan would the team have fared well? Well, there are several issues to consider. The powers that be are still pulling the string to experiment with an unorthodox four opener theory that spelled utter apocalyptic doom of plague, pestilence and what not. With papal authority the board and the chief selectors are toying with Taskin's place in team (whereas he had fifer on debut notwithstanding a hiccup in the first one day match). With religious vim and vigor Shamsur Rahman has been given carte blance and an inform Mominul Haque benched. If that does reveal the hidden diktat then hark back to the days of memories where Mushfiqur "puppet boy" Rahim would often give Mahmudullah Riyad the ball instead of Shakib al Hasan when chips are down. This may scream hearsay by vehement critics, but I strongly urge them to think for themselves if this was not the case. Fans often rebuked Mushfiqur for defensive mentality for not putting close fielders and slips to 'go for jugular' when opponent was on back-foot costing the team matches. Yes, there is no I in team and no one is bigger than the biggest picture. But, the fact also remains that each player comes with certain weight bringing thier contribution to the team. Whether or not Shakib al Hasan inclusion would make a difference is unknown. But it was the exclusion that was unwarranted.

3. Argumentum ad populum

The poll in the ESPNcricinfo website suggest a polarized public but that is a loaded one at that. ESPNcricinfo caters to a global audience. Sometimes a casual unscientific perusal of Bangladesh Cricket's verified social media paints the rosy picture how much his presence would mean for the team. Besides, it is not not as if we are in the "Millionaire" game where Plebeian public decides his outcome and fate. Call for deeper transparency, investigation and neutrality is what is needed.

4. Conclusion

The real fifth column in disguise is not Shakib al Hasan but the Board, wrangled by Coach and selectors to leave out the thorn that shot to super-stardom. This is an utter farce that even after Bangladesh has emerged has a free nation it still is being fiddled oligarchical by some privileged few which can only call for jealousy and spite. After the host of Politically Incorrect Bill Maher was lambasted for saying the terrorists are nto cowards, and coerced and forced to retire, he ended his final show with the words of rapper Xzibit:

Ashes to ashes,
Dust to Dust
I may leave in a body bag
But never in cuffs.

This goes on to so show that syndicate like injustice is apparent and ubiquitous even in the freest country of the world. For once, when Bangladesh is at the receiving end of such negativity in the media, why cannot it be a role model to the rest by showing leniency and forgiveness to the man whose contribution outweighs the one or two few negative actions making a bold statement that Bangladesh may be poor in wealth and resources, but when it comes to justice and compassion it is the richest in the whole world.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles

Old September 10, 2014, 12:31 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Zeeshan that xzibit line was from Eminem's song 'b**** please' ft Snoop Dogg right? Thought I recognized it lol.

To the point yes. Shakibs behavior may have warranted a hefty fine, but a 6 month ban exposes BCB's attempt at putting him in his place. Its motivated mostly by jealousy and/or Shakib refusal to back down from the goon who harassed his wife who apparently has connects with BAL party who runs BCB.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 10, 2014, 04:01 PM
Cricket Guru

again three thumbs up..articles worth going to cricinfo ...
Old September 10, 2014, 05:08 PM

Great article Zeeshan.
Old September 10, 2014, 07:26 PM
Club Cricketer

The article has some stronger points and at the same time, a few weaker links as well. The overall message seems to be correct in the context of BD dirty politics and power hungry politicians.

I thought lotus kamal was the worst of the BCB president until I saw Papon. Kamal was not as sophisticated, often appeared to be emergent from a lower upbringing environment, as Papon in doing crime using dirty politics. This is expected in BD because both are dirty politician and I think these two are in race in who can do the worst harm of BD cricket.

One of the weaker links in the article is the manner in which Mushfiq and Tamim were presented to establish so called 'conspiracy theory'.

The articulation with literature and quotation reminds me of the daily star, omens good for the future of formal writing, but a bit carefulness of overall presentation may make the article even more attractive.

One personal feeling, Shakib-al-hasan is a champion and he will be ultimate champion even among all these dirty politicians.
Old September 10, 2014, 09:14 PM
Cricket Savant

Thanks affan!

Btw where is ankur! Surprised he hasn't posted here yet. I expect most bashing from him lol

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 11, 2014, 12:20 AM
ODI Cricketer

From one and only Zeeshan
Old September 13, 2014, 02:52 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla