facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 11, 2003, 08:17 PM
Club Cricketer

Default Defeat could be a blessing in disguise

I know everyone might think this is garbage but this defeat could be a blessing in disguise. This defeat might be a kick up the backside for the players as they themselves would be embarassed with a performance like that again. I think there will be a even bigger effort to show the world the Bangladesh is better than that and it deserves it Test Status. I believe the next game against Sri Lanka might shows us if this Bangladesh team has the character to bounce back and give a better performance.

Some observations about today's game: I think the Captain is making the wrong choices about which bowlers to use and when, Mashud seems to use the spinners too much for my liking. The pitch at Durban was a pacer's wicket and we only managed about 20 overs of pace bowling, 30 overs were spin. Monju, Masri, Tapash and Ehsanul should've bowled 40 overs between them. Masri should've come back into the attack a lot sooner to polish of the tail.

Changes I like to see for the next game :- Bashar, Rafique, and Tapash dropped and bring in Ashraful, Tushar and Mamoud. Here' my 11 and in that order with an extra batsmen.

Sarker
Rokon
Ehsanul
Alok
Sanwar
Tushar
Ashraful
Mamoud
Mashud
Masri
Monju

Old February 11, 2003, 10:49 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default YOU ARE RIGHT

opening_batsman,

I agree with you 100% on what you have said in your headline.

We need to be positive 90% of the time.

The remaining 10% -- ??

Strong JHARI .....
TA CHARA AAR KI ?
Old February 11, 2003, 11:55 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿
Default Talha

Any news on the kid ?
Masri bowled at a high of only 87 and his average was around 84. not much. The two Canadian strike bowlers bowled as fast or faster. Was it only due to the injury ?

Pilot was VERY DEFENSIVE for reasons best known to him. It was good to see parttimer Sanwar getting some practice but this wasn't a practice match.

The only players to blame for the loss are the batsmen. no doubt. I was surprised to see even Pilot losing it. he had been the only mainstay in the team and even he holed out quite unnecessarily. *sigh*

How did SUMON ever score those fifties and hundred ? This surely isn't the same man. The guy that played today doesn't even qualify to be a ball boy for the ICC associate teams.

[Edited on 12-2-2003 by tehsin]
Old February 12, 2003, 12:29 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default I certainly do not agree on bowlers

I don't agree that our bowlers did well - even marginally better than the batsman.

First of all, we just don't have pacers in our side to trouble even the other associate teams, not to mention the test teams - on such a good batting wicket.

The only thing that was favorable to the pacers on this wicket is the bounce. And we had only one pacer who could extract that bounce - Mashrafee. And he too could not get the bounce after his initial overs. It could be may be because he wasn't hitting the deck (because of being tired, lack of physical fitness or injury or whatever) as hard as he could in the first few overs.

For being a test team, we should have been able to restrict the Canadians to just under or just 150 runs. And we should have also bowled them out long before the 49th over.

But we just don't have the bowlers to do that - not on this wicket - not without chucking (getting batsman out by chucking in domestic cricket of Dhaka is very regular, I believe).

Old February 12, 2003, 01:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Opening_Batsman

I can't agree with you either. Packing the team with batsmen is not going to solve our problems. Would having an extra batsman made any difference today? No, because the team decided to play like idiots. We need the batsmen we have to score. If they all play irresponsible thoughtless cricket, having 11 batsmen won't help us.

However, Tapash apart, our bowling wasn't that bad. Too many extras, but that can be worked on. Also, you say that spinners were used too much against Canada. The spinners bowled 30 overs for 79 runs, which is an economy rate of 2.63. That is excellent, even without the 4 wickets they took today. On the other hand, the pace bowlers bowled 20 overs for 101 runs, which is 5.05 an over. You do make a good point about bringing Masri on earlier to finish off the tail. That might have worked.

My two changes for the next game, Ash instead of Sumon, Talha or Sujon instead of Tapash.
Old February 12, 2003, 02:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

We need TTMM (T2M2) playing together
Old February 12, 2003, 10:15 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

We need Sujon and Talha both.