facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 2, 2012, 02:03 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla & Tamim Iqbal
Default A Deconstruction on Imrul Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Cmon Imrul proves your haters wrong!
Don't know why people hate him.

Old May 2, 2012, 02:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Rox
Don't know why people hate him.
Yeah same here. Imrul deserves his chance in my opinion. He has been doing fairly well in the domestic circuit and also in the England Lions tour. He is trying to redeem himself but seems like he is being ignored.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Yeah same here. Imrul deserves his chance in my opinion. He has been doing fairly well in the domestic circuit and also in the England Lions tour. He is trying to redeem himself but seems like he is being ignored.
Bhai I see your a big fan of Imrul which I respect. My opinion with Imrul is that, with his technique, he's just not going to succeed. He's just way too edgy to be a batsman, let alone a top order one. I know he got big runs in 2010 but he was very lucky a lot of times to survive. I had a feeling his luck would soon run out and it did in 2011 unfortunately. I'm no expert but his footwork, even though better then Nazim's is still below par and has trouble playing the moving balls. On top of that, his big struggle which is obvious is his strike rotation ability. He has trouble angling his bat in to the gaps to get off strike. SN and Junaid fall in the same category with Imrul which is why you see them struggling.

From what I've seen from Anamul, I believe that his overall technique is much better then the 3 I just mentioned. He looks a much smoother batsman then the other 3 which is why he should be getting a chance. If Imrul, Junaid, and SN rectified their flaws then it would be a different story but over the years, I just see them being the same batsmen.
Old May 3, 2012, 01:11 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
Bhai I see your a big fan of Imrul which I respect. My opinion with Imrul is that, with his technique, he's just not going to succeed. He's just way too edgy to be a batsman, let alone a top order one. I know he got big runs in 2010 but he was very lucky a lot of times to survive. I had a feeling his luck would soon run out and it did in 2011 unfortunately. I'm no expert but his footwork, even though better then Nazim's is still below par and has trouble playing the moving balls. On top of that, his big struggle which is obvious is his strike rotation ability. He has trouble angling his bat in to the gaps to get off strike. SN and Junaid fall in the same category with Imrul which is why you see them struggling.

From what I've seen from Anamul, I believe that his overall technique is much better then the 3 I just mentioned. He looks a much smoother batsman then the other 3 which is why he should be getting a chance. If Imrul, Junaid, and SN rectified their flaws then it would be a different story but over the years, I just see them being the same batsmen.
With his Technique?
His technique is all fine. He has 1 of the best technique compared to the current XI. Despite his cover drives. Those looks so great. Nothing more to say.
Old May 3, 2012, 02:34 AM
BC Editorial Team

Tiger 444, your analysis of Imrul's technique (or lack thereof) is very much spot on. But technique alone does not guarantee success and conversely lack of it (or flaws in it) does not predetermine your future. Players such as Shewag, KP, Chanderpaul all have non-traditional techniques. The key is, can you the batter, keep the good ones out more often than not. When in form, Imrul is reasonably compact and when he is focused on batting time he actually is able to minimize his propensity to chase outside off. As far as cussedness goes, he and JuSi are both capable of being bloody-minded, and you can actually survive on that and a modicum of talent (which both Imrul and Junaide possess). Let me put it this way - if Mark Richardson and Nasser Hussain could forge successful cricket careers, so can Imrul. His one area which he _HAS_ to work on is strike rotation and you've nailed that.
Old May 3, 2012, 03:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Rox
With his Technique?
His technique is all fine. He has 1 of the best technique compared to the current XI. Despite his cover drives. Those looks so great. Nothing more to say.
@Tiger444 yes im a fan of Kayes. Just as i am with Tamim, Shakib, Mushfiq, Nasir, Mortaza & Nazmul. Imrul has played some innings where he rescued Bangladesh and i feel like people have just completely forgot about it. Those innings where he rescued Bangladesh told me that has has got the ability but he just isnt consistent.

IMO i think he gets overshadowed by Tamim's presence. He needs to understand his role in the team and needs to learn to stick in the crease and rotate the strike even if Tamim hits consecutive boundaries. When Tamim starts hitting boundaries Imrul feels the need to continue hitting boundaries and he ends up edging the ball too much.

I agree with BD Rox. Kayes probably has one of the best techniques in the Bangladesh team. His cover drives are glorious to watch. Theres nothing wrong with his technique. Mindset is his biggest issue. Doesnt know what to do in different situations.
Old May 3, 2012, 05:00 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
@Tiger444 yes im a fan of Kayes. Just as i am with Tamim, Shakib, Mushfiq, Nasir, Mortaza & Nazmul. Imrul has played some innings where he rescued Bangladesh and i feel like people have just completely forgot about it. Those innings where he rescued Bangladesh told me that has has got the ability but he just isnt consistent.

IMO i think he gets overshadowed by Tamim's presence. He needs to understand his role in the team and needs to learn to stick in the crease and rotate the strike even if Tamim hits consecutive boundaries. When Tamim starts hitting boundaries Imrul feels the need to continue hitting boundaries and he ends up edging the ball too much.

I agree with BD Rox. Kayes probably has one of the best techniques in the Bangladesh team. His cover drives are glorious to watch. Theres nothing wrong with his technique. Mindset is his biggest issue. Doesnt know what to do in different situations.
Absolutely. Totally spot on!
Old May 3, 2012, 12:15 PM
BC Editorial Team

Just because someone has an attractive cover-drive does not mean his technique is good. What do you make of Shakib? He has one ugly batting style and his technique is definitely unique. But it's actually a very good technique and he has been successful with it.

Kayes has three major flaws in his technique. He plays with hard hands so that he's not good at rotating strike. He tends to get squared up at angled or moving deliveries. And, he is still indecisive against the short ball. Of these, he has worked the most on his compulsive pulling and now is reasonable agains short-pitched bowling. The 2nd piece - he's better when on form and not trying to force things. He's hopeless on the 1st one.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Just because someone has an attractive cover-drive does not mean his technique is good. What do you make of Shakib? He has one ugly batting style and his technique is definitely unique. But it's actually a very good technique and he has been successful with it.

Kayes has three major flaws in his technique. He plays with hard hands so that he's not good at rotating strike. He tends to get squared up at angled or moving deliveries. And, he is still indecisive against the short ball. Of these, he has worked the most on his compulsive pulling and now is reasonable agains short-pitched bowling. The 2nd piece - he's better when on form and not trying to force things. He's hopeless on the 1st one.
Those who are saying there is nothing wrong with his technique should read this. Having said that and as Razab bhai has mentioned earlier, traditional technique doesn't guarantee success. Shakib has a good technique, Imrul has an iffy one and they both have non-traditional techniques.

Imrul IMO is still ahead of the other options that we have for the #2 spot and should be persisted with in the 50 over format, at least for the time being. His form in the DPL and against England Lions has been very impressive.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Anamul shouldn't be a replacement of IK. He should be at # 3. Our big problem is there.

Understand IK's problems with techniques, but he is a very hardworking cricketer with not so much of talent. And we need such players, rather than lazy but gifted talents. He is absolutely fine with TI. Our opening partnership In 50 ov format, has been playing well for sometime. He shouldn't be disturbed IMO.

Last edited by BANFAN; May 4, 2012 at 04:03 PM..
Old May 3, 2012, 02:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Shakib's technique is ugly, and completely heterodox. Nothing pretty about it. Buts among the most successful (like Chanders). He rarely edges the ball, finds gaps and boundaries at will, and rarely loses control of the stroke/ball that he just played. That is what technique is all about - minimizing chances of getting out, and Shakib's technique is the "tightest" in that regard.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old May 4, 2012, 05:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Imrul might get squared up at times but that doesnt mean he has a bad technique. What im trying to say is he generally has a good technque but a little tweak here and there will improve his game.

The people who play the cover drive really well generally have a good technique e.g. Sangakarra.

Tell me who has a good technique in the Bangladesh team? I would Tamim easily has the best technique. The closest would be Kayes. No one else really stands out.

Shakibs technique is unique so i wouldnt class it as a good technique but it works well for him.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old May 4, 2012, 10:15 AM
BC Editorial Team

BengaliPagol - perhaps you have some coaching or playing cred and if so, I'll concede any arguments on technique to you But to me, it appears you are mixing up compactness with technique. Imrul _is_ compact. SN to give a different example, isn't. Neither is TIK. As far as prim-proper technique, Ash back in the day was technically very sound. His trying to give catching practice to first slip or orthodox point wasn't cause by lack of technique but rather the lack of a brain. From what I have have seen of him, Anamul has good technique (hence Law gushing about him). Mushy, other than dealing with extreme pace, has a very good technique. Shakib, in his own way has a good technique. Nazim is very compact too. All those guys are better than Imrul on the "technique" front. Now does having better technique than Imrul make them better candidates to partner TIK? No. Imrul is a very determined guy - and in our context that is a very important asset. In the limited overs, Imrul remains the most proven partner for Tamim and I'd go with him in limited overs and Nazim in Tests.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:45 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Tiger 444, your analysis of Imrul's technique (or lack thereof) is very much spot on. But technique alone does not guarantee success and conversely lack of it (or flaws in it) does not predetermine your future. Players such as Shewag, KP, Chanderpaul all have non-traditional techniques. The key is, can you the batter, keep the good ones out more often than not. When in form, Imrul is reasonably compact and when he is focused on batting time he actually is able to minimize his propensity to chase outside off. As far as cussedness goes, he and JuSi are both capable of being bloody-minded, and you can actually survive on that and a modicum of talent (which both Imrul and Junaide possess). Let me put it this way - if Mark Richardson and Nasser Hussain could forge successful cricket careers, so can Imrul. His one area which he _HAS_ to work on is strike rotation and you've nailed that.
I agree with you Razab bhai. It doesn't matter if you're the most technically sound batsman, if you don't score runs then it doesn't matter in the end. Ash is a good example of that. As we also know, subcontinental batsman have more unorthodox techniques compared to the English and Aussies but we've seen over the years that they've been equally successful.

Chanderpaul is a great example of unorthodox technique. Even though he's not in position at all before the ball is being bowled, he makes sure that right when the ball comes to him that the ball lands in the middle of the bat. That's really the key to batting really, just be in position for the ball before it's being bowled and play it to the merit of the ball.

Quote:

Shakib's a great example of how to also succeed despite not having the most orthodox technique. He relies purely on hand eye coordination to score his runs. It's the way he knows how to score and boy is he successful in doing it. Thing is, Shakib's a 1 of a kind talent and you'll see many players won't just get away with it.

As always Razab bhai, you hit the nail on the head with Imrul's technical issues. You see that most of the time, he either just blocks or throws his hands at deliveries. You don't see many times where he drops and runs or carves it away in to the gaps for 1s and 2s. That's a very important part of batting and even top order batsmen, NEED TO ROTATE.

The problem with Imrul is unlike Shakib or Chanderpaul, he doesn't get in to position in the line of the ball in time enough and hence you see all his edges from the bat and you see him famously being known as "Kaedge." That's something he really needs to work on in order to improve his game or else he'll continue to struggle. This is why I said with his technique, he won't succeed. I don't want to be harsh because I want all players that don the red and green to do well but he has a lot of work to do in order to be at the level or guys like Tamim and Shakib. The question is will he make improvements on his batting? I really haven't seen it from him because I still see the same edging and strike rotation issues that's hindered him since he came in to the national team but I really hope he does because it would make our top order better.

Last edited by Tiger444; May 4, 2012 at 03:47 PM..
Old May 4, 2012, 03:52 PM
BC Editorial Team

Split this apart because the thread was about FC cricket whereas we were engaged in a discourse on IK's batting technique
Old May 4, 2012, 04:46 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

People dont hate him. Hate is a strong word. He is just not as popular as the other guys. And I think that has lot to do with his personality. He comes out as a boring person. Also his batting style doesn't help either.
Old May 4, 2012, 07:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Imrul is a built person which is a rarity among BD players.

Funny thing is when i search another BD player on google images besides Shakib there is always a picture of Shakib.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:22 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain

I am just happy to see all those bits and pieces players who used to be so sure about their place in the XI are now feeling the heat of the performing young guns like anamul.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:48 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Those who are saying there is nothing wrong with his technique should read this. Having said that and as Razab bhai has mentioned earlier, traditional technique doesn't guarantee success. Shakib has a good technique, Imrul has an iffy one and they both have non-traditional techniques.

Imrul IMO is still ahead of the other options that we have for the #2 spot and should be persisted with in the 50 over format, at least for the time being. His form in the DPL and against England Lions has been very impressive.
I think these are good analyses (BANFAN the second one, I totally agree), can't really disagree here. DIlscoop has a point regarding the attractiveness of a player

"Anamul shouldn't be a replacement of IK. He should be at # 3. Our big problem is there.

Understand IK's problems with techniques, but he is a very hardworking cricketer with not so much of talent. And we need such players, rather than lazy but gifted talents. He is absolutely fine with TI. Our opening partnership In 50 ov format, has been playing well for sometime. He shouldn't be disturbed IMO."
Old May 4, 2012, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Good discussion here. Contrast that with the poll BangaliPagol has been running. The mob opted for Anamul at 2 and so had to settle for JI at 3. TI-IK-AH is a stronger team than TI-AH-JI.

I like Imrul's compactness. If only he could soften his hands.
Old May 4, 2012, 09:06 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Buzz Lightyear

Use vaseline perhaps? Or Keya moisturiser if the ads are to be believed
Old May 4, 2012, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar umpire
Use vaseline perhaps? Or Keya moisturiser if the ads are to be believed
Funny man. We don't want him chaffed do we?
Old May 4, 2012, 09:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Good discussion here. Contrast that with the poll BangaliPagol has been running. The mob opted for Anamul at 2 and so had to settle for JI at 3. TI-IK-AH is a stronger team than TI-AH-JI.

I like Imrul's compactness. If only he could soften his hands.
I think Tamim and Imrul's mindsets and compactness are similar. Imrul definitely needs to learn to rotate strike. Tamim does rotate the strike when he is batting in the middle overs of the game. Imrul needs to learn that.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:54 AM
MLC World Series I

He may not have a very good technique, but it's atleast better compared to the others in the lineup and moreover, he scored runs when he played alongside Tamim in the ODI's and that's the most important aspect. Plus he has a temperament of a hardworker, seems determined to prove himself.
Old May 5, 2012, 01:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

imrul is solid imo, maybe his edgey play is less to do with technique and more to do with picking up the ball or reading it. he did score runs in ODis, but let's just forget discussing him for tests, 32 innings and just 1 score over 50.