facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 6, 2007, 01:08 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM
Default NZ club invites Al Shahriar

NZ club invites Al Shahriar

Experienced batsman Al Shahriar received an invitation to play for Havelock North Cricket Club, a premier division side in New Zealand's north island.

A fax from the club reached Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB), asking for permission to approach the gifted right-handed batsman, who is captaining Dhaka in the ongoing National Cricket League.

But the fax did not mention any accommodation or financial details. However, the invitation is for the ongoing domestic season in the town.

When contacted, Shahriar said that it is an initial offer and it is up to the cricket board to decide.

Old December 6, 2007, 01:12 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Great news!! The more exposure we get the better it is for the next generations.
Old December 6, 2007, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Good for him if he ends up going as he may be making more money than he would have in Bangladesh.
Old December 6, 2007, 01:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Good news indeed!
Old December 6, 2007, 01:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

NZ Cricketers don't make that much $$$ ... but why Rokon? Take a recent nat'l discard who can still make the team like SN or Tapash
Old December 6, 2007, 01:21 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Rokon was our first cricketer to make FC century, and he made that in NZ. NZ is good for him.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old December 6, 2007, 01:23 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
... but why Rokon?
Guessing two things may have happened. 1) he may have initiated the contacts. 2) he may have a relative or knows someone in NZ who got with the club. In both ways, BD Cricket gets more exposure.
Old December 6, 2007, 01:27 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Guessing two things may have happened. 1) he may have initiated the contacts. 2) he may have a relative or knows someone in NZ who got with the club. In both ways, BD Cricket gets more exposure.
Yeah, thats what I thought. He has some connections in NZ. But its good though. IF he can improve his techniques and become consistent then I think he could play for the National team again.

Last edited by Murad; December 6, 2007 at 01:38 PM..
Old December 6, 2007, 01:37 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Good for him.
Any exposure is good.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old December 6, 2007, 02:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee
Default NZ Premier Division club invites Al Shahriar

Check this out:
Experienced batsman Al Shahriar received an invitation to play for Havelock North Cricket Club, a premier division side in New Zealand's north island.

A fax from the club reached Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB), asking for permission to approach the gifted right-handed batsman, who is captaining Dhaka in the ongoing National Cricket League.

But the fax did not mention any accommodation or financial details. However, the invitation is for the ongoing domestic season in the town.

When contacted, Shahriar said that it is an initial offer and it is up to the cricket board to decide.

Source: Daily Star.

I guess, finally the "Dashing", "Talented" Al-Shahrier gets a recongnition from New Zeland. Wow,,, he couldnt get a nod from IPL, ICL, XML but got a call from New Zeland premier Division league, I mean this is no Rainhill on Sundays,,,
Old December 6, 2007, 02:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Something is better than nothing. I hope he gets the permission from the board and perform well over there. It may help other players to get a call up there also.
Old December 6, 2007, 02:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Moderators: Please remove the other thread ( that I created with blind excitement).

I guess all along the problem with Bangladeshi players have been their networking skills and the sports management. I wonder what CWAB is doing, arent they suppose to get someone who can do these types of 'recruiting'? Even Zimbabwian players have better off-the-field skills to negotiate a deal with a county club than our Bangladeshi ones...

Another thing that happened over the years is, the Damal Summer and Dhaka League is missing the international stars. I mean, we started this whole thing and now India is replicating it with their IPL, XML leagues bringing in star players. Hence, what happened is, not many knows about the talents we have in our domestic league. Akram, Arvinda, Sanjay Manjrekar knows very well about the Bangladeshi players as they used to play at Dhaka League and spread the words. These days, BCB has a regulation of only one foreign players, what a bonehead idea.,, I mean, havent we reached a point where we can afford to have 3 players in the league?

Rokon is an excellent batsman. His days at national team is pretty much finished but he has not fade away like others... Hope he does something extra-0rdinary in New Zealand.
Old December 6, 2007, 02:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Havelock North Cricket Club

Address: PO Box 8450 Havelock North
Tel Home: 06 8783411
Tel Business: 06 873111 ext 7056
Mobile: 0272633313
Fax: 06 8786955
Old December 6, 2007, 02:30 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Rokon....hmm. both suprised and happy
Old December 6, 2007, 03:23 PM
Cricket Legend

I still remember long time ago in a TV show he said one school from UK gives him offer for cricket coaching
Old December 6, 2007, 03:25 PM
Banned

BCB should let him go. At least, we will be safe from him making another "comeback" to the national side
Old December 6, 2007, 03:28 PM
Cricket Sage

YOu don't want him to make another come back?
Old December 6, 2007, 03:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Is it some kind of confusion between Shahriar Nafees and Al Shahariar ? Why Rokon needs permission from BCB to play in a foreign league ? He and BCB currently has no contract in between them.
Old December 6, 2007, 03:45 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Is it some kind of confusion between Shahriar Nafees and Al Shahariar ? Why Rokon needs permission from BCB to play in a foreign league ? He and BCB currently has no contract in between them.
good catch...

I was thinking like that...

Billah bhai you disappointed me again. If ROKON can do a come back and scores runs whats the problem?
I think you need to change you attitude towards bd x players. ALl current BD players will be X sooner or later.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old December 6, 2007, 03:50 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Prothom-alo report:

Old December 6, 2007, 04:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Its a good news, but dont understand why they are showing interest after so many years. Rokon didnt play any intl match in last 4/5 years, I guess. He could be our top middle order batsman. BTW does anyone remember his innings against WI U-19 (I guess in 95)
Old December 6, 2007, 04:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Rokon is atleast 35 years old by now (regardless what cricinfo says). I think he is too old to make a comeback of any sort.

Once a reliable fielder, news reports say he is now dropping regulation catches on regular basis (besides not scoring that well).
Old December 6, 2007, 04:37 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
YOu don't want him to make another come back?
Rokon and another comeback to National team ......is that a joke or something which I don't understand.
Old December 6, 2007, 04:40 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Rokon is atleast 35 years old by now (regardless what cricinfo says). I think he is too old to make a comeback of any sort.

Once a reliable fielder, news reports say he is now dropping regulation catches on regular basis (besides not scoring that well).
Rokon was my batch mate in Dhaka University and we played together. I am 31, he can't be 35.
Old December 6, 2007, 04:50 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Rokon was my batch mate in Dhaka University and we played together. I am 31, he can't be 35.
May be he did not make out of high school and college as early as you did. Sometimes you will find classmates who have 3-4 years difference between them.

However, if you insist he is not that old, I stand corrected (since you know him that well).