facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 20, 2011, 07:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara
Default UDRS under spotlight

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cric...ry/502226.html

Quote:
First, in the 23rd over with Jayawardene on 11, spinner Jimmy Hansra and wicketkeeper-captain Ashish Bagai went up for a huge appeal convinced an edge had been pouched.

The umpire turned it down, but Canada went for an immediate referral. TV replays suggested an edge, but were ultimately inconclusive and the decision remained. Then, in Hansra's very next over, they went up as Jayawardene attempted a drive. Again the umpire turned it down only for the second referral to be called and again TV replays failed to provide a decisive picture.
Quote:
In October last year, the ICC had announced that Hot Spot cameras would be used in the semi-finals and final of the tournament. But an ICC spokesman later told ESPNcricinfo that, "the supplier of the Hot Spot technology advised that it was not willing to supply its cameras for the tournament so, accordingly, they will not be used at any stage in the tournament."

Though Jayawardene was potentially a beneficiary of the absence of Hot Spot, he said later that it was a concern not having it. "I think that's probably the downside to it and I don't think they have Snicko either. I am a big fan of the UDRS, I think if we have technology and if we can use it in a certain way we should."
this is basically the same set of objections dhoni and co had against the UDRS, that not using the full set of tech like ultra slo-mo, hotspot and snicko makes UDRS meaningless.

I still don't understand why ICC, one of the richest sports governing bodies in the world can't fund these tech out of its own pocket and stop asking either the home boards or the broadcaster to pay for it.

Last edited by Neel Here; February 21, 2011 at 12:04 AM..
Old February 20, 2011, 11:58 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

only LBW descisions can be referred siccessfully unless bat is involved.

but far Cuaght behinds with thin edged the UDRS fails.......
Old February 21, 2011, 12:05 AM
Cricket Legend

right now it's only good for checking no-balls and where the ball pitched. that's far too little considering the hype.
Old February 21, 2011, 03:33 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel Here
right now it's only good for checking no-balls and where the ball pitched. that's far too little considering the hype.
That is not far too little. How many times did Eoin Morgan survive LBW appeal in the 2nd ODI against BD in BD? That one decision would have made the difference between winning and losing. I agree that if we are going to have UDRS we need to get the entire package, not just bits and pieces but that doesn't mean whatever we have for right now is not going to waste.
Old February 21, 2011, 12:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

Sorry but that doesnt justify stupid Dhoni. Its not like that umpire's wrong decision would have turned right if there were no UDRS. Whats wrong with a little more checked by using UDRS. Last time I checked the decision have not made any correct decision of on field umpire wrong. Even if the decision can validly alter 1 decision out of 10 wrong decision of on field umpire, is still good for cricket. Stupid people like Dhoni should realise that rather thinking all negatively.
Old February 21, 2011, 07:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cric...ry/502226.html

this is basically the same set of objections dhoni and co had against the UDRS, that not using the full set of tech like ultra slo-mo, hotspot and snicko makes UDRS meaningless.
Meaningless? take that N_H vai
Quote:
Utseya to Haddin, OUT, Zimbabwe's first ever referral now. Utseya lands this back of a length outside off and it comes in gently with the angle, and then sharply with the spin. Haddin looks to work it through square leg, casually off the back foot, and is hit in front of middle. It was hitting middle and leg. Not sure why Asoka de Silva said not out. The third umpire overturns the verdict. Zimbabwe have struck.
BJ Haddin lbw b Utseya 29 (66b 3x4 0x6) SR: 43.93
Australia 61/1 SR Watson 30* (47b 3x4) P Utseya 3.5-2-6-1
Cremer to Watson, OUT, huge appeal for lbw, turned down. Will they refer it? Yes, they will. Tossed up on middle and off and fizzing along straight, off the track. Watto was well forward, but the replays suggest that was crashing into middle and off, three-fourths of the way up. No evidence that it hit bat before pad either. Yep, the third umpire helps Umpire Kettleborough overturn it and Zim have got two in two right today.
SR Watson lbw b Cremer 79 (92b 8x4 1x6) SR: 85.86
Old February 21, 2011, 10:04 AM
Cricket Legend

^^^
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...42&postcount=3
Old February 21, 2011, 11:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Still thats not little considering hype. Most of the decision UDRS relates is LBW not catch-behind. Today three decision has been changed which is not very little to be considered.
Old February 21, 2011, 12:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

UDRS did a good job to expose ASHOKA today
Old February 21, 2011, 01:46 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Anyone saw how Zims master the use of DRS last night? That was their 1st time too. So Team India or who ever else has to complain can go sniff #2.

One more question, hot-spot cams are only made in Aus? Why can't they buy it from some place else?
Old February 21, 2011, 02:08 PM
Cricket Legend

who the f is complaining about first time or anything like that ?
great job demolishing a non-existent argument.

hot spot is nothing but fancy name for IR cam that are made by a number of firms all over the world. it's simply the stupidity and myopia of ICC's technical committee or whoever looks after these things that we are not able to use the tech advantage that has already been cleared.
then there are the blind fans who miss the wood for the trees. not everything is about India, think beyond India for once !
Old February 21, 2011, 02:11 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
great job demolishing a non-existent argument.
I didn't say anything about 1st time. I said Zim used it greatly, even though it was their first time. So it's not that difficult, Indians should learn how to use the thing, instead of saying that it doesn't work, blah blah. And now you are gonna say they didn't and I will have to dig up all those reports from CI.
Old February 21, 2011, 03:41 PM
Cricket Legend

b_sy bhai, fair enough. I don't necessarily agree 100% with you but I see your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
I didn't say anything about 1st time. I said Zim used it greatly, even though it was their first time. So it's not that difficult, Indians should learn how to use the thing, instead of saying that it doesn't work, blah blah. And now you are gonna say they didn't and I will have to dig up all those reports from CI.
dilu, that's what I said. YOU are saying "So it's not that difficult, Indians should learn how to use the thing, instead of saying that it doesn't work, blah blah"

did dhoni say that it was "difficult" ? did any Indian cricketer ? the answer is NO.
what you are doing is called a strawman argument. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
Old February 21, 2011, 04:47 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

No you said
Quote:
, which doesn't even make sense to me, I don't what you are tried to tell me there.

What BCCI said is that, they do not "believe" in the system, they think it's inaccurate or w/e, when rest of the world gets along with it fine. And the only reason they are saying that because they can't use it or had a failure experience in the past. If they had a good record with it and they wouldn't have said that. They don't want to use DRS at home, which is fair enough. But it's not cool when they force other boards to not use it either, or go around blame it on the system.

And everything wouldn't be about India if BCCI didn't make it out to be. Once they get out of the radar, then people will stop talking about the Indian team all the time, until then you will have to deal with it. You can't just go around and telling people to "shut up" about it. And it's not just me, everyone drags BCCI and Indian team into every discussion. And you guys pretend like people do this because they love to take a dig at you.
Old February 21, 2011, 05:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
But it's not cool when they force other boards to not use it either, or go around blame it on the system.
and when did that happen ? many of the series not involving India have used UDRS.
Old February 21, 2011, 05:52 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

I am talking about SA vs IND, that happened last month, did you forget that too? Like I said, I am tired of these denials and "it's not us, it's you" crap. If it didn't happen people won't be talking about it.
Old February 21, 2011, 06:01 PM
Cricket Legend

no I didn't forget that but you are certainly unaware of what ICC regulations say about UDRS.

both the host and the touring board have to agree on UDRS for it to go ahead. no board can force a decision on the other just because they are the hosts.

you are tired because you just want to vent some frustration by hitting out at India, no matter if it's fair or not. unfortunately for you the facts don't allow you to do that unless you take a hypocritical stance.
Old February 21, 2011, 06:12 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
both the host and the touring board have to agree on UDRS for it to go ahead. no board can force a decision on the other just because they are the hosts.
Exactly, why don't they agree to it? Why do have a problem with it? That is pretty much forcing them to not to use it. They need to stop acting like they are the boss of everything, because they aren't.

This has nothing do with the 1st game, I said this during the Ind v SA series as well, and I will say this every time a DRS discussion comes up. This has nothing to do with Indian team, it's about BCCI and their retarded-ness. But if that makes you feel batter, go ahead think whatever you like. But you know, your board is the most hated board across the world, even some of your sane fans hate BCCI. You can bust your throat to try and defend it, but you should know that your just supporting a corruption, and dictatorship.
Old February 21, 2011, 11:31 PM
Cricket Legend

now you are losing it dilscoop !

1) why they are not agreeing with it has been clarified many times and now even jaybardhane is making similar comments.
2) it's not forcing someone to do something, however much you illogically insist it is.
ICC has made UDRS optional for bilateral series and they exercised that option. they were entirely within their rights to do so and therefore they haven't forced anyone.
do you even understand what the phrase "both sides agree" means ?

clearly, you don't agree, so why don't you tell us which regulation BCCI broke in order to 'force' their decision on others.

p.s. I'm not bothered with your juvenile hatespeech, it is only marginally entertaining. like an episode of friends on a slow day.
Old February 22, 2011, 01:26 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Seriously? If you are going to turn everything I say into, "oh you are bashing my India" and just walk away from it, then I might as well just not bother.

What I'd said, and I will repeat, instead of blaming the system, why not try and get on with it. Teams using it for the first time are using it very effectively, so it is not that hard. Stop living in the 60s. These tech. are here to stay, and it's only better for the game, specially minnows like us. This is not the first time that BCCI had something against anything that is new.

Once again, this has nothing to do with India as a country, India as a team, or Indian people. Sure, we hate certain Indian players, or the fans that are very arrogant, but this has nothing to do with that. But you keep trying to drag me into that. I was here to talk about BCCI, and how I am against it's rich-heads, money game, and their love for power and their boss-girri. Just like pretty much everyone in BC.

And FYI, not everything said in BC comes out of hate against India. But you make it out to be, not just here, but in every other thread, where you see the word India or anything related to that. Then you get very defensive about it, try and prove how they are wrong and your always right. i.e recent poke at random canadian article.
Old February 22, 2011, 01:29 AM
Cricket Savant

Time for a BC mood bump perhaps fellas?

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 22, 2011, 09:24 AM
Cricket Legend

^ does that include free hash ?

dilu, if you bothered to read my post (in stead of playing "I'll throw all my hate at this Indian while I keep my brain in the freezer") you might have noticed that

A) far from being anti-tech I'm saying we need ALL THE HELP we can get from technology.
that means the full basket of UDRS tech, not just hawk-eye.

B) I want ICC to make UDRS compulsory, not optional as it is now.

C) I want ICC to stop acting like a miser and pay up for the UDRS tech in stead of expecting home boards or broadcasters to pick up the tab.

lastly, IMO, not being able to use the full UDRS due to stupid ICC policy is a disgrace and disservice to cricket and teams have a right to protest against half-a$$ed implementation of UDRS.
Old February 22, 2011, 09:49 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Freddie Flintoff

BCCI's stance regarding UDRS is a joke for a number of reasons.

1. They don't trust the Hawk Eye, but are big fans of the Hot Spot. Whereas in reality Hawk Eye is extremely accurate, and is therefore also used in tennis to make marginal line calls. But Hot Spot is more error-prone as it may be difficult at times to detect a very thin edge.

2. They often cite the expense issue. Indian cricket TV rights are sold for hundreds of millions of dollars (more than what Sky paid for English cricket rights), but BCCI can't afford to spend a six figure amount for using technology. In fact, Neo Sports didn't have the Hawk Eye for the viewers until very recently. Their broadcast quality is a joke compared to Sky Sports, Channel 9 or even Sky TV NZ.

BCCI is the most backward-thinking cricket board in the world. They opposed Twenty20 cricket (until they won the world cup by fluke), they opposed the free hit rule, and now they are opposing the UDRS. They are a bunch of corrupt politicians who couldn't care less about the welfare of the game.
Old February 22, 2011, 11:43 AM
Cricket Legend

so ICC gets 80% of its revenue from India and then BCCI has to pay for the UDRS too. charity organisation is it ?
Old February 22, 2011, 11:48 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Freddie Flintoff

Quote:

so ICC gets 80% of its revenue from India and then BCCI has to pay for the UDRS too. charity organisation is it ?
If England, Australia, South Africa and even New Zealand can afford it, then why can't India do it?