facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 5, 2019, 12:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz
Default Tamim Meek-bal Khan

tl;dr this guy sucks

4 years ago, after the 2015 WC, I opened a thread (it was prob my first thread) saying Tamim should be dropped and we should look to the future. Unfortunately, that thread got deleted after the massive data erase following the site crashed. I wish it was still up, because then I could just bump it. Because 4 years later, absolutely nothing has changed.

So I will just rehash was I wrote then. Bangladesh needs to make a tough decision here. Drop Tamim for good and look to the future. Why? Because you cannot win a world cup with Tamim as your leader. You cannot reach semis with Tamim as your “core.” Heck, you cannot win an Asia cup with Slowmim Dotball (cr to Roey) as your opener.

This is the best you can expect from him. This world cup is not an outlier. This is exactly what we saw 4 years ago (down to the dropped catch against England), it’s what we saw 8 years ago, and it’s what we will see from him 4 years from now. The decision is simple: drop Tamim and take the next four years to either solidify the Smash Bros – SS and Liton, or find a suitable replacement.

I can hear the rebuttal from a mile away, because it’s the same rebuttal I saw 4 years ago.

“Tamim is the best opener in Bangladesh’s history”

“Who are you going to replace him with?”

The first one always seems like a joke to me. I absolutely agree Tamim is the best opener in Bangladesh’s history, he has all kinds of batting records for Bangladesh. But that’s only because he has been around the longest. BD got full member status in 2000, and Tamim made his debut in 2007. A mere 7 years seperates Tamim’s timeline from BD’s timeline. He has been around for over 75% of the team’s existence as a full member and has played an overwhelming majority of our games. It’s the equivalent of being given full access to a brand new arcade game, where the leaderboard has been wiped clean. Remember those? Anyone who plays the first couple of games gets to put their initials first, second, third, etc. Ofcourse then better gamers come along, and a week later, your initials are nowhere to be found. It’s kind of like that, except worse, because nobody else has been allowed to play the game since – Tamim’s hording the arcade for himself! So naturally it’s easy to point to the leaderboard and say “look I told you Tamim was good” without acknowledging that the other kids haven’t been given any coins to play yet. We couldn’t even dare to try SS-Liton opening in a meaningless tri-series because the notion of dropping Tamim is so unheard of. Well enough's enough, it’s time to let others play the game.

So, on to the rebuttal number two. Who do you replace him with? 4 years ago, I rattled off some names as possible replacements – Anamul (lol), Rony (LOL), Litton (yes), SS (tbd?). 2 out of 4 still viable options now. Yes, SS and Liton has major issues, but at this stage of their career, they are better off than Tamim. More importantly, they are both suited for the modern ODI game. Liton, especially, has shown his mentally tougher – becoming first BD player to score a 100 in a tournament knockoff game, that too in an Asia Cup finals. Tamim, after 12 years, has come nowhere close. Couldn't even do it in a tri-series ice cream cup. Do you feel sick yet?

A new rebuttle since 2015 would be “He has averaged over 50 blah blah blah since 2015.” This is a legitimate point. He has and that’s pretty good. So is WC a slump for him? Hardly. What you see now is the real Tamim. A guy who has always choked in pressure situations. A guy who has never done well in a World Cup or any tournament for that matter. His WC average this year is in line with his wc average the last 3 editions. So that’s what Tamim is, a guy that will win you a few bilateral once in awhile, but will inevitably sh*t himself when there’s actually something to play for. He can’t handle pressure, for he is Tamim Meekbal. So are you happy with just winning a few bilaterals? Or would you rather give yourself the best chance for a trophy? How you honestly answer that question should decide how you feel about Tamim’s continued inclusion in the team.

Do I sound like a hater yet? Perhaps. Yes. Absolutely. I’m a hater. I’m a hater because I was the biggest fan of Tamim way back when. Watched him bat against India in 2007 as a high school kid and was absolutely star struck. But I’ve grown up since then, the game itself has grown up since then. Tamim’s game, however, hasn’t. He is perpetually stuck in 2007. Over a decade and 4 world cups later, absolutely nothing has changed. Can you taste the bile of disgust boiling at the pit of your stomach?

Perhaps worst of all is how overrated he is. And, by relation, how underrated Shakib has been. This very notion that somehow they are on the same level (ooo amader FAV FIVE, baap re baap!!) is a smack in the face to Shakib. So much praising for Tamim, while Shakib always seemed to be clouded in criticism. Like when Shakib showed his balls to the TV camera. How rude! How dare he be upset at a loss? Why can’t he behave more meekly like Tamim Meekbal? Why can’t he be like Tamim, who never shows emotions after a loss, or a missed catch for that matter. Well, Shakib has once again shown his balls to the world. And he has done it on the biggest stage in cricket, while Tamim remains the good meek boy that he is.

I know Tamim isn’t the only problem with the team, but he is a big problem. I can confidently say that this guy – and to an extent the Fav Five – barring Shakib – has taken this team as far as possible. We won't win with this bunch. It will have to be the next batch, and the batch after that who will win you silverware, lead by guys who have the killer instincts. Tamim sadly isn’t that guy.

I know this won’t do anything. Tamim will leave when he wants to leave the team. His uncle and his blind fans will make sure of that. But I for one can’t wait for the day when he does leave – because that day we will be one step closer to becoming a legitimate championship contender.

Old July 5, 2019, 12:41 PM
Cricket Legend

yikes -- didnt realize it was this long.
Old July 5, 2019, 12:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Old July 5, 2019, 12:47 PM
First Class Cricketer

Need to take time to read the whole book. Give me some time.
Old July 5, 2019, 12:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL

its ok. one series fail doesnt mean he is bad. have patience. he is still best option we have
Old July 5, 2019, 01:02 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max100
its ok. one series fail doesnt mean he is bad. have patience. he is still best option we have
This is not just another series. This is the world cup. Another failed world cup for Tamim.

Wait, was that sarcastic.
Old July 5, 2019, 01:04 PM
Cricket Guru

He is mentally weak for big tournaments like CT or WC. Still a good option to have for a bilateral series.
Old July 5, 2019, 01:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Tamim is worse that javed Omar
Old July 5, 2019, 01:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Prepare for the backlash lol
Old July 5, 2019, 01:09 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Did Zeeshan hack your account?

I told you not to give the password with that tip you gave for fantasy team name
Old July 5, 2019, 01:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

Tamim Iqbal in World Cup:

Matches: 29
Runs: 718
High score: 95
Average: 24.75
Strike rate: 73.11
100: Zero

https://twitter.com/Bangla13c/status...06644708851714
Old July 5, 2019, 01:20 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
tl;dr this guy sucks

4 years ago, after the 2015 WC, I opened a thread (it was prob my first thread) saying Tamim should be dropped and we should look to the future. Unfortunately, that thread got deleted after the massive data erase following the site crashed. I wish it was still up, because then I could just bump it. Because 4 years later, absolutely nothing has changed.

So I will just rehash was I wrote then. Bangladesh needs to make a tough decision here. Drop Tamim for good and look to the future. Why? Because you cannot win a world cup with Tamim as your leader. You cannot reach semis with Tamim as your “core.” Heck, you cannot win an Asia cup with Slowmim Dotball (cr to Roey) as your opener.

This is the best you can expect from him. This world cup is not an outlier. This is exactly what we saw 4 years ago (down to the dropped catch against England), it’s what we saw 8 years ago, and it’s what we will see from him 4 years from now. The decision is simple: drop Tamim and take the next four years to either solidify the Smash Bros – SS and Liton, or find a suitable replacement.

I can hear the rebuttal from a mile away, because it’s the same rebuttal I saw 4 years ago.

“Tamim is the best opener in Bangladesh’s history”

“Who are you going to replace him with?”

The first one always seems like a joke to me. I absolutely agree Tamim is the best opener in Bangladesh’s history, he has all kinds of batting records for Bangladesh. But that’s only because he has been around the longest. BD got full member status in 2000, and Tamim made his debut in 2007. A mere 7 years seperates Tamim’s timeline from BD’s timeline. He has been around for over 75% of the team’s existence as a full member and has played an overwhelming majority of our games. It’s the equivalent of being given full access to a brand new arcade game, where the leaderboard has been wiped clean. Remember those? Anyone who plays the first couple of games gets to put their initials first, second, third, etc. Ofcourse then better gamers come along, and a week later, your initials are nowhere to be found. It’s kind of like that, except worse, because nobody else has been allowed to play the game since – Tamim’s hording the arcade for himself! So naturally it’s easy to point to the leaderboard and say “look I told you Tamim was good” without acknowledging that the other kids haven’t been given any coins to play yet. We couldn’t even dare to try SS-Liton opening in a meaningless tri-series because the notion of dropping Tamim is so unheard of. Well enough's enough, it’s time to let others play the game.

So, on to the rebuttal number two. Who do you replace him with? 4 years ago, I rattled off some names as possible replacements – Anamul (lol), Rony (LOL), Litton (yes), SS (tbd?). 2 out of 4 still viable options now. Yes, SS and Liton has major issues, but at this stage of their career, they are better off than Tamim. More importantly, they are both suited for the modern ODI game. Liton, especially, has shown his mentally tougher – becoming first BD player to score a 100 in a tournament knockoff game, that too in an Asia Cup finals. Tamim, after 12 years, has come nowhere close. Couldn't even do it in a tri-series ice cream cup. Do you feel sick yet?

A new rebuttle since 2015 would be “He has averaged over 50 blah blah blah since 2015.” This is a legitimate point. He has and that’s pretty good. So is WC a slump for him? Hardly. What you see now is the real Tamim. A guy who has always choked in pressure situations. A guy who has never done well in a World Cup or any tournament for that matter. His WC average this year is in line with his wc average the last 3 editions. So that’s what Tamim is, a guy that will win you a few bilateral once in awhile, but will inevitably sh*t himself when there’s actually something to play for. He can’t handle pressure, for he is Tamim Meekbal. So are you happy with just winning a few bilaterals? Or would you rather give yourself the best chance for a trophy? How you honestly answer that question should decide how you feel about Tamim’s continued inclusion in the team.

Do I sound like a hater yet? Perhaps. Yes. Absolutely. I’m a hater. I’m a hater because I was the biggest fan of Tamim way back when. Watched him bat against India in 2007 as a high school kid and was absolutely star struck. But I’ve grown up since then, the game itself has grown up since then. Tamim’s game, however, hasn’t. He is perpetually stuck in 2007. Over a decade and 4 world cups later, absolutely nothing has changed. Can you taste the bile of disgust boiling at the pit of your stomach?

Perhaps worst of all is how overrated he is. And, by relation, how underrated Shakib has been. This very notion that somehow they are on the same level (ooo amader FAV FIVE, baap re baap!!) is a smack in the face to Shakib. So much praising for Tamim, while Shakib always seemed to be clouded in criticism. Like when Shakib showed his balls to the TV camera. How rude! How dare he be upset at a loss? Why can’t he behave more meekly like Tamim Meekbal? Why can’t he be like Tamim, who never shows emotions after a loss, or a missed catch for that matter. Well, Shakib has once again shown his balls to the world. And he has done it on the biggest stage in cricket, while Tamim remains the good meek boy that he is.

I know Tamim isn’t the only problem with the team, but he is a big problem. I can confidently say that this guy – and to an extent the Fav Five – barring Shakib – has taken this team as far as possible. We won't win with this bunch. It will have to be the next batch, and the batch after that who will win you silverware, lead by guys who have the killer instincts. Tamim sadly isn’t that guy.

I know this won’t do anything. Tamim will leave when he wants to leave the team. His uncle and his blind fans will make sure of that. But I for one can’t wait for the day when he does leave – because that day we will be one step closer to becoming a legitimate championship contender.
100% agreed. That india knock of 2007 cemented his place because no other bd openers ever played like that. But teams quickly figured him out through analysis. He has upgraded his game from a jhore bok mara type player who dances down the track to some what mediocre player. But the game has changed significantly and at this point BD cant afford to carry this burden. His game is not suited for modern ODI. Shakib has always been talented and works hard as well Mushfiqur. So has riyad how he changed his game completely as a powerful hitter. But Tamim hasn’t done jack to take his game to the next level. It is high team we move past tamim because he has failed so many times in so many of our crunch matches and this puts a huge over reliance on shak and mushfiq. Plus he is the only player in the team who is there solely based on his batting. He doesnt contribute with the ball and fielding and fails miserably on his job which is batting. If India can drop players like Gambhir, Raina or yuvraaj then we can surely drop tamim. He can concentrate on tests. He is suited more for tests than odi’s. I am sure there are talented players in the pipeline who can produce greater results given opportunities.
Old July 5, 2019, 01:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
He is mentally weak for big tournaments like CT or WC. Still a good option to have for a bilateral series.
anyone who can't handle big tournaments is never a good option for bilaterals. Defeats the purpose.
Old July 5, 2019, 01:28 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
This sums up Tamim. He always plays poorly in World Cup. He has a poor record compared to his career record.
Old July 5, 2019, 01:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
Did Zeeshan hack your account?

I told you not to give the password with that tip you gave for fantasy team name
why would you think that? Do you see the post doing uber* (NOT to be confused with Lyft) psychoanalysis of Tamim?
Old July 5, 2019, 01:31 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
why would you think that? Do you see the post doing uber* (NOT to be confused with Lyft) psychoanalysis of Tamim?
Now that's something Zeeshan would say.
Old July 5, 2019, 01:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportingBD
Tamim Iqbal in World Cup:

Matches: 29
Runs: 718
High score: 95
Average: 24.75
Strike rate: 73.11
100: Zero

https://twitter.com/Bangla13c/status...06644708851714
stats don't lie. keep in mind, that 95 was against....Scotland.
Old July 5, 2019, 01:50 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
anyone who can't handle big tournaments is never a good option for bilaterals. Defeats the purpose.
Bingo!!
Old July 5, 2019, 02:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

All this time Tamim was considered a shoo in for one half of the opening pair. We had been searching for the other half. Truth be told, despite all the searching we haven't yet found the other half either. I like SS, but as an opener he's just as inconsistent if not worse. Here's what we need to do. Let it be clearly communicated to Tamim that he is no longer guaranteed a spot, he'll have to compete with others to earn it. Then make him and others compete for both spots. If he beats out others he makes the cut, if he does not he warms the bench.
Old July 5, 2019, 02:16 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I used to enjoy tamim's aggressive batting.
Old July 5, 2019, 02:35 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

aro jid lagey Tamim khali umpire ar opposition player der shathey ki hashi, addabaji re, performance e baal tao parena, shudhu asey alga pirit.
Old July 5, 2019, 02:41 PM
Cricket Guru

This guy has something coming when he returns to BD...already complained about being trolled on social media post 2015 WC. This time it will be worse
Old July 5, 2019, 02:42 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

You know something is wrong when you see Simon Bhai khepa
Old July 5, 2019, 02:59 PM
Club Cricketer

The other guy Soumya is just as useless
Old July 5, 2019, 03:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

I have been talking about this for years.

Tamim is a bottler. He sucks at chasing. He has never won us a match barring 1 or 2 when we were chasing a stiff total. And in world cup we saw how rubbish he was.

He is a bottler of the highest order. All the talent in the world COUNTS FOR NOTHING