facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 4, 2007, 09:01 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Pay disputes hinder Indian plans for Bangladesh tour

From CricketWorld

Quote:
Pay Disputes Hinder Indian Plans For Bangladesh Tour

4 May 2007

Pay Disputes Hinder Indian Plans For Bangladesh Tour
Indian players watch their World Cup cricket match against Sri Lanka in Port of Spain March 23, 2007.
©REUTERS/Adnan Abidi (TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO) Picture Supplied by Action Images

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), one of the richest cricket boards in world cricket, have not paid salaries to the centrally contracted players for the last seven months.

The news emerged as the players refused to sign new contracts ahead of the Bangladesh tour until the old payments are released.

BCCI have retreated from their efforts to get the new contracts signed and assured cricketers that their salaries for the last seven months will be paid after the Bangladesh tour. Some of the senior players compared the scenario with Zimbabwe, where payment disputes resulted in boycotts and the eventual decline in cricketing standards.

According to Times Now, a leading Indian news agency, "the cricketers are very upset over the recent developments, but the gag order and fear of being targeted after the 'World Cup debacle' has forced them to keep quiet".

Players have not received any payments for the following tournaments from the board:

- ICC Champions Trophy in India: October 2006
- Tour of South Africa: Nov 2006 to Jan 2007
- India-West Indies ODI series: January 2007
- India-Sri Lanka ODI series: February 2007
- World Cup: March-April 2007

Last edited by Miraz; May 4, 2007 at 09:18 AM..

Old May 4, 2007, 09:23 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

I'm clueless here. I would've thought of a possible trick they're playing on BD if it wasn't for the past 7 months' salary that they haven't received. But I find it hard to beleive that they haven't paid salaries for so long. Is it the first phase of destruction of Indian cricket?
Old May 4, 2007, 09:23 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Ha ha ha..
what a bunch of tight a**es...

and they are supposed to be the billion dollar board...
no wonder the players didnt play well during the cup...
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old May 4, 2007, 09:57 AM
ODI Cricketer

Crap from the Board and more crap from the players.

WTF, these guys still would have got their retainers(tier A: 50 lakhs per year, tier B 35 lakkhs and tier C 20 lakhs per year). Apart from this they would have got their endorsement money, which is not controlled by the BCCI till this date.

These guys are not paid for the ODI's and tests they have played(2.5 lakhs for ODI and 1.5 for tests).

apart from this BCCI has to share 26% of their profits (including the telecast rights and bla bla) with the players.

IMHO, For the sake of fans, the players shldnt whine abt the match fees at this point of time, esp after their dismal show in the WC. They had the best facilities and best of everything a team would want and failed to deliver. On the other hand, BCCI being their normal self, should pay the match fees atleast.

Forget this dispute guys, the next bomb to explode is BCCI interfering in players endorsements. Man unless something happens real quick, i see Indian cricket going the path of West Indian cricket with all these disputes.

cheers !
Padosan
Old May 4, 2007, 10:07 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I can't agree Padosan.

If my office don't reimburse my travel expense which is very insignifcant to my salary (earnings) for the past 7 months, I would make up a good reason not to go on the next official trip.

For a labor, we are suppose to pay them before their sweat dry. When you have that much of money in your bank account and not pay their dues I would put the blame solely on the Board. Unless I am contractually liable, my income from other source has no binding with my employer.

They performed badly and that is the reason for the board to justify not to pay them? It could be the other way around. The board didn't pay them that's the reason the player didn't perform.
Old May 4, 2007, 10:10 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

What surprises most, is the time, 7 months is quite a long time.

It means the players did not receive any payment from the board for months, when they were playing in the World Cup.

Crappy un-professionalism from BCCI.
Old May 4, 2007, 10:18 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: all, esp mushfiq n sakib

wa!!! thats 2 ong timeeee!! havn't payed yet!! lol.. players might b b much more upset afta this WC.
Old May 4, 2007, 10:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Thats very very unprofessional attitude from BCCI. What all big mouther (Lalit Modi or Niranjan Saha) are doing in BCCI, only big mouthing!
Old May 4, 2007, 10:47 AM
Cricket Legend

This is insane. I wonder if ICC jumps in and take a hand on BCCI. I know it's local issue but you never know. 7 months is a long time and it's really unhealthy for our cricket as well , specially when big brother shows the example of idiotic politics.
Old May 4, 2007, 10:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar2005
This is insane. I wonder if ICC jumps in and take a hand on BCCI. I know it's local issue but you never know. 7 months is a long time and it's really unhealthy for our cricket as well , specially when big brother shows the example of idiotic politics.
don't worry. till now we are following more Australian model than any big brothers' one. let them continue this idiotic things, players will get more frustrated and we will finish the series victory (both ODI and test) against them.
Old May 4, 2007, 11:20 AM
BC Editorial Team

When was the last time India began a series without a controversy ? Either it is TV rights, or something about sacking the captain or the coach or security or sponsors. The contract and sponsorship dispute has come up in different forms at least ten times in the last five years
Old May 4, 2007, 11:20 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

rich ppl er ei ektaii shomossha.. eto taka ache tobu.. bikkha dite gele odher book kaape..

indian cricket board er o same.. players ra eto koshto kore khele.. or odher fee dei na.. ar khali boro boro kotha koi....
Old May 4, 2007, 11:44 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

its funny how on ICF a lot of ppl are clamoring about how greedy the BCCI is...which is something we said the moment they took the "BCCI is bigger than cricket" attitude couple years back. it looks like indian fans who defended BCCI's actions have egg on their faces. yet again.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old May 4, 2007, 11:54 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
...it looks like indian fans who defended BCCI's actions have egg on their faces. yet again.
Kacha dim khaitey ekdom bhalo na. Pour a little salt, and some pepper on their face. They will enjoy it even more.
Old May 5, 2007, 04:21 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Sourav Ganguly

They didn't get paid due to contract negotiations and the new contract which the players didn't agree or watever... plus players hardly care about official salary... they make 5 times more from advertisements...
Old May 5, 2007, 04:31 AM
Cricket Legend

That's absolutely ridiculous! How can you not pay your players for 7 months?!
Old May 5, 2007, 04:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Can't believe this. How can you expect your team to perform if you don't pay them. or its the excuse for their recent performance
Old May 5, 2007, 04:52 AM
First Class Cricketer

ever imagined how much these players make outside cricket????....
they dont need the money they earn from playing...
they get paid pretty handsome for their modelling, acting and dancing skills!!!...
Old May 5, 2007, 08:32 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganguly da
They didn't get paid due to contract negotiations and the new contract which the players didn't agree or watever... plus players hardly care about official salary... they make 5 times more from advertisements...

ohh really...well if they harldy care abt their official salary.....why r u they complaining noww???
Old May 5, 2007, 09:26 AM
ODI Cricketer

This is really sad news. Hope it works out soon, as it's a labor rights issue.

Also I hope the BCB does not get any ideas from them, that would suck!
Old May 5, 2007, 11:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganguly da
New contract falls outside the old contract. They didn't get paid for their old contract, which is kinda sad. But if you say that the players hardly care about official salary, that's just complete misconception. It's like, Indian cricket players are paid through ads that they make, not through BCCI that make them play. What a joke.
Old May 5, 2007, 11:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

This is really sad news!!!! Imagine ur boss not paying u for all the stuff u did....I am shocked with the BCCI I mean what the heck are they thinking not giving the players their pay check that they deserve????This is a Labour Rights Issue!!!I am also hoping that BCB never does that but I am not really worried about that becuase I know they would never even think of doing that!!!
Old May 5, 2007, 12:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
New contract falls outside the old contract. They didn't get paid for their old contract, which is kinda sad.
The old contracts expired in September last year, and players somehow kept playing without contracts (something that should not have been allowed). How do you suppose BCCI should pay their players if players don't want to sign contracts with the board ?
Old May 5, 2007, 12:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

BCCI seems to be falling apart like the Zimbabwea cricket teams board and also like Kenya's one!!!What is happening to BCCI now ???
Old May 5, 2007, 12:54 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
The old contracts expired in September last year, and players somehow kept playing without contracts (something that should not have been allowed). How do you suppose BCCI should pay their players if players don't want to sign contracts with the board ?
First question I would ask in that case is, did you ask the players if they are going to volunteer to play in these matches? No. But is it understood that the players are going to play for money? I guess that's not a trick question.

The concern here is not where the contract falls. If BCCI is taking advantage of the fact that the players played without contracts, and now withholding their pay, BCCI is sure going to lose a lot of quality players. They may even discourage new players from coming into the national side. Well yes, that's way too much I know, but this could happen in the worst case scenario. As a cricket fan, I just hope this doesn't happen.