facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 12, 2009, 11:27 PM
Cricket Legend

"Be True To Yourself"

Old August 13, 2009, 01:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Quote:
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
--Lewis Carroll

Quote:
"God is dead." -- Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead." -- God
--Anonymous
Old August 13, 2009, 02:03 AM
Cricket Savant

I can relate to the following quote because once I was all alone on Thaksgiving eating Jack-In-The-Box in my car before going to nightduty as security guard. This is for all those who thinks rap is just about mindless cussin' and the rappers get paid a mil for rappin 'ho' with 'fo sho' failing to see the real story beneath the veneer of violence and swearing.

Quote:
He also hopes the purpose of the graphic nature of The Documentary doesn't get twisted. "I'm telling my story. I'm out to please no one but myself. I'm not telling anybody to sell drugs or pick up guns. When I sold drugs it was because it was my last resort, because I had four sisters and an older brother and we were eating Cheerios on Thanksgiving. When I picked up a gun, it was because my life was threatened. If you don't want to hear that; then don't listen. I'm not glorifying the life I lived because I wouldn't wish that on anybody. I'm just one human being raised in the 'hood who wanted nothing more than to get out." [ The Game the Rapper ]

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old August 13, 2009, 03:05 AM
Test Cricketer

Great quotes guys, keep them coming.

"The reports of my death were greatly exaggerated."
-- Mark Twain

"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind." -- Aristotle

"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?" -- Homer
Old August 15, 2009, 02:16 PM
Cricket Savant

Being a Taoist and all:

Quote:
Nature always takes the path of least resistance.

Old August 15, 2009, 02:33 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaad
Two quotes that I am particularly partial to, the first for what it says about knowledge and understanding:

"We used to think that if we knew one, we knew two, because one and one are two. We are finding that we must learn a great deal more about and."

-- Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington

এটা বুঝতে হলে প্রথমে আমাকে আপনার মত পিএইচডি করতে হবে।

Quote:
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."

-- George Bernard Shaw
শ্বাশত সত্য।

Quote:
"If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail."

-- Maslow

ঠিক। সৈয়দ ওয়ালীওল্লাহ তাঁর 'একটি তুলসী গাছের আত্মকাহিনী প্রবন্ধে বলেছেন, "হাতে বন্দুক থাকলে নিরীহ মানুষেরও চোখ পড়ে পশু-পক্ষীর দিকে"।

Quote:
"While most people's opinion changes, the conviction of their correctness never does."

-- Anonymous

প্রমাণ-বিসি ফোরাম।

Quote:
"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."

-- Ambrose Bierce

Quote:
"The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid moves which make us wonder at the possibility that there may be something more to them we are missing."

-- Gamel Abdel Nasser
Old August 15, 2009, 02:34 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

I think with my own quotes...
Old August 15, 2009, 02:34 PM
Administrator

There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America. ~William J. Clinton
Old August 15, 2009, 02:35 PM
Banned

This quote always makes me think. But don't dare to ask the boss what it means:

Quote:
I can divide by zero.
Old August 15, 2009, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeshanm
being a taoist and all:

মুন্সী মানুষ যে কামচোর হয় এইটা ত সবাই জানে।
Old November 1, 2009, 05:42 PM
Test Cricketer

More:

Quote:
"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here."
- Richard Dawkins
Quote:
I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.
- Carl Sagan
Quote:
"Human beings do not live forever, Reuven. We live less than the time it takes to blink an eye, if we measure our lives against eternity. So it may be asked what value is there to a human life. There is so much pain in the world. What does it mean to have to suffer so much if our lives are nothing more than the blink of an eye?

I learned a long time ago, Reuven, that a blink of an eye in itself is nothing. But the eye that blinks, that is something. A span of life is nothing. But the man who lives that span, he is something. He can fill that tiny span with meaning, so its quality is immeasurable though its quantity may be insignificant.

Do you understand what I am saying? A man must fill his life with meaning, meaning is not automatically given to life. It is hard work to fill one's life with meaning. That I do not think you understand yet. A life filled with meaning is worthy of rest. I want to be worthy of rest when I am no longer here."

- Chaim Potok
Quote:
"We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms - to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances - to choose one's own way."
- Victor Frankl
Quote:
"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
- Bonnie Jean Wasmund
Quote:
'Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
- Plato
Old November 1, 2009, 11:42 PM
Cricket Sage

"there's no such thing as free lunch"

"Colleges want more money then a $10 Hooker"- my western civ. teacher

"Gold jacket, green jacket...who gives a s**t." -Happy Gilmore

"you know i like money i have some i keep it in a jar on top of the refrigerator, i want some more and that's where you come in" - Adam Slander- Wedding Singer

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me."- gotta love Dr. Seuss

Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.- Muhammad Ali
Old November 2, 2009, 12:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Time is the Best Speaker.
Old February 24, 2010, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Getting up in the morning and putting on a pair of underpants is important for me. And I think a lot of people think like that.
Shane Warne subtly hawks his new underwear range
I can so identify with that.
Old February 25, 2010, 09:04 PM
Club Cricketer

Everything Freud has ever said can be summarized by two words: "Your Mother!" - Albert Einstein

"Don't knock masturbation. Its sex with someone you love." - Woody Allen
Old February 25, 2010, 09:37 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Plant
Old February 25, 2010, 10:51 PM
ODI Cricketer

The most important single ingredient in the formula of success is knowing how to get along with people.
~ Theodore Roosevelt

Once you become self-conscious, there is no end to it; once you start to doubt, there is no room for anything else. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.
- Martin Luther King Jr.

I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.
~Bill Cosby

Last edited by deshifan; February 25, 2010 at 10:57 PM..
Old February 25, 2010, 11:04 PM
Cricket Savant

Jessica Simpson:
“'Jessica, you want some buffalo wings?' 'Sorry I don't eat buffalo.'”

Kim Kardashian on Jessica Simpson: LEAVE HER ALONE!!! She is so drop dead gorgeous, and the fact that the media is sending this message out to young girls is mind blowing!

Paris Hilton on Kim Kardashian's glutes: “Yeah, I did… it reminds me of cottage cheese inside of a big (or “dead,” it’s hard to hear) trash bag.”

Old February 26, 2010, 10:38 AM
Cricket Sage

Is this thread made for Quotes that make you think or that make you reallly stink?

Anyway nice Sagan stuff. Kudos to you. Hope many more to follow.
Old February 27, 2010, 02:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

"Joy is the best makeup."/Anne Lamott
Old March 1, 2010, 05:02 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shaun Tait, P.Hughes

There is no security on this earth. There is only opportunity. - Douglas MacArthur
Old November 5, 2010, 07:56 PM
Test Cricketer

Been reading some Sartre, Camus and revisiting Nietzsche. These guys are full of amazing quotes, these quotes are more powerful if you know the context of their philosophy. Namely Existentialism, Absurdism and Active Nihilism.

Quotes by Jean-Paul Sartre:

Quote:
“Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.
It is up to you to give [life] a meaning.” 

“If you’re lonely when you’re alone, you’re in bad company.” 

“Three o’clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.” 

“I suppose it is out of laziness that the world is the same day after day. Today it seemed to want to change. And then anything, anything could happen.” 

“I am alone in the midst of these happy, reasonable voices. All these creatures spend their time explaining, realizing happily that they agree with each other. In Heaven’s name, why is it so important to think the same things all together. “

“One always dies too soon — or too late. And yet one’s whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are — your life, and nothing else.”

“In life man commits himself and draws his own portrait, outside of which there is nothing. No doubt this thought may seem harsh to someone who has not made a success of his life. But on the other hand, it helps people to understand that reality alone counts, and that dreams, expectations and hopes only serve to define a man as a broken dream, aborted hopes, and futile expectations.”
Quotes by Albert Camus:

Quote:
“You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.”

“Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.” 

“Live to the point of tears.” 

“Should I kill myself, or have a cup of coffee?” (By far my favorite Absurdism quote)

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.”

And an unrelated quote from the movie "Revolver". Haven't watched it yet.

Quote:
There is something about yourself that you don’t know. Something that you will deny even exists, until it’s too late to do anything about it. It’s the only reason you get up in the morning. The only reason you suffer the shitty puss, the blood, the sweat and the tears. This is because you want people to know how good, attractive, generous, funny, wild and clever you really are. Fear or revere me, but please, think I’m special. We share an addiction. We’re approval junkies. We’re all in it for the slap on the back and the gold watch. The hip-hip-hoo-frackin’ rah. Look at the clever boy with the badge, polishing his trophy. Shine on you crazy diamond, because we’re just monkeys wrapped in suits, begging for the approval of others.
Old November 5, 2010, 09:58 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntu
"Joy is the best makeup."/Anne Lamott
A good one, auntu.
Old November 6, 2010, 08:16 PM
Cricket Sage

Hope is a good thing. May be the best of things and no good thing ever dies. - The Shawshank Redemption
Old November 6, 2010, 08:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Blah, the self proclaimed champion of atheism wants to form an atheist group in Dhaka that will meet every Friday at 1 o'clock. Donations are encouraged to cover the cost of the meeting.