facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 7, 2007, 12:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

It will be news when a Bangladeshi player plays in the English county for the first time. Until then, waste of time and space.

Old December 7, 2007, 04:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
It will be news when a Bangladeshi player plays in the English county for the first time. Until then, waste of time and space.
On the contrary, the more players playing overseas, the better. Every time they do a professional job, the path is easier for the next person.

And, finally, it'd be a *lot* more significant than county cricket if someone was headhunted to play in whatever they are calling the Sheffield Shield these days.
Old December 7, 2007, 05:22 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW
On the contrary, the more players playing overseas, the better. Every time they do a professional job, the path is easier for the next person.

And, finally, it'd be a *lot* more significant than county cricket if someone was headhunted to play in whatever they are calling the Sheffield Shield these days.
Hear hear - was Imran Khan the last overseas player? I seem to recall some noise about Graham Thorpe but that seems to have not materialized
Old December 7, 2007, 05:40 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Javed is 5-6 years senior to Rokon, Javed and Bashar are of same age, and they are good friends.

Javed was a student of DU history dept and was 3 years senior to us

Rokon is 31-32 and Javed should be 36-37.
javed doesn't age as the way we do. he is now 29 and in next five years he will be 32
Old December 8, 2007, 03:52 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
I am not sure what ARE the records you are talking about here. All i can remember the only age record we have is the one ash made. where he declared his original age right a way which still made him the youngest centurion.
We also have Enamul jnr's record of "youngest bowler to take 10 wickets in a test", which was Wasim Akram's record before.
Old December 8, 2007, 04:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
True. Today, you cant hide the age thing as BCB is pretty rigid about age issues. Also, ICC has included the radiology testing for age verification . Just last week or so, I think Nepal was banned for a year for including 2 overaged kids in the age squads. And the age hiding is so 70s as literally none cares about the Government Service jobs where age is a factor.
Govt. service is not the most lucrative job anymore, but age cheating is still a norm, not exception. 95% of my classmates cheated age (not that they didn't know their real DOB), and the teachers would always remind everyone to use their correct DOB as per certificate in times of registering for exams.
Old December 8, 2007, 04:25 AM
Cricket Legend

BTW, there was no need to edit my post (and wrong'un's). It was not meant to be any personal attack, maybe choice of words should've been better. I didn't take any offense from his post, and I hope he didn't either from mine.

We need a generally friendly atmosphere in the forum, not one which is artificial created by the mods.
Old December 8, 2007, 10:53 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
We also have Enamul jnr's record of "youngest bowler to take 10 wickets in a test", which was Wasim Akram's record before.
Oh i didn't knew that...

Thanks for the information.

so there was only two...

BTW do you think Enam also cheated his age? Cause they had to play passing the wrist exam...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old December 8, 2007, 12:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Default BCB Should NOT Allow Rokon to go to NZ!

I mean what the hell...Havelock North Cricket Club??? You're kidding me, right? First, Md Ashraful is sent to Rainhill, and now this? Have we stooped this low? When even Kenyans can be called up to play for County teams, how is it that our players have to settle for third rate teams in fourth rate divisions?

Let's break it down for all those guys who are so happy that Rokon might get a chance to play in NZ: the State Championship there consists of six teams - Central Districts, Northern Districts, Otago, Canterbury, Auckland and Wellington. Each of these teams represent districts with their own leagues that have some 8-12 teams. One of the teams in the Central Districts league is the Hawke's Bay Cricket Association, which in turn has its own league. Now, Havelock North CC is in the second highest division of Hawke's Bay CA, i.e. it is a Senior division side within the Hawke's Bay league, not a Premier division side. And as it turns out, Havelock North CC is a middling team within that division.

So, how many divisions down would Rokon be playing? He wouldn't be playing in the State Championship, nor the Central Districts league, but the 2nd division of the Hawke's Bay league. We're talking 4 - yes, 4!!! - divisions down!

BCB should veto any move for a senior player to go to NZ to waste his time. He'd be of much better service in the NCL in Bangladesh. That, at least, would give local youngsters the opportunity to face senior players with lots of experience and international exposure. Sending Rokon to a pathetic NZ team serves no-one's interest, but Havelock North's.
Old December 8, 2007, 04:04 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW

Sure. But, I said its not news unless someone manages to get a contract playing in one of the major counties. This kiwi league or the team doesn't raise my brows. That's all. As you know, not too many players from overseas played in Sheffied Shield, or Pura Cup as they call it now a days. It would be great though and that player would have to be something special..
Old December 8, 2007, 08:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king
I believe it was Al Sahariar who got the call...
Yeah but some people mentioned it could have been SN because Rokon doesn't have a national contract. I was just pointing out that it's unlikely to be the case because SN would have little incentive to do that at this stage of his career.

I'm not sure if it's a money making thing because I know that cricketer's in Australia don't get paid unless they are on a state contract and the rookie contracts are only worth about $30k. In first grade club cricket the cricketers have to pay match fees.

However I know clubs will change that in order to get lucrative players from overseas. I know people who have gone to play for clubs in England and the clubs have organised cars, houses and sometimes even jobs so that person can adjust to life in that village.
Old December 9, 2007, 06:21 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
Yes, he cant be 35. We used to play football together ( in 85, 86 ) when he was only around 10 or so, and we lived in same para. He was so good in dribbling and had good sense on football. His father an ex Kolkata Mohamedan player later put him in BKSP to groom him as a player, Later I was surprised to know from his brother ( when I visited Dhaka in 89 I guess ) that he already started playing cricket instead of football there, though he also had good sense playing para cricket in his early age.
Was this in Narayangonj?

Last edited by Rizvi; December 11, 2007 at 01:10 AM..
Old December 9, 2007, 02:05 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubho

So, how many divisions down would Rokon be playing? He wouldn't be playing in the State Championship, nor the Central Districts league, but the 2nd division of the Hawke's Bay league. We're talking 4 - yes, 4!!! - divisions down!

BCB should veto any move for a senior player to go to NZ to waste his time. He'd be of much better service in the NCL in Bangladesh. That, at least, would give local youngsters the opportunity to face senior players with lots of experience and international exposure. Sending Rokon to a pathetic NZ team serves no-one's interest, but Havelock North's.
Shubho, you have a point. It is certainly very annoying that guys like Ash who face the likes of Australia and South Africa are only deemed good enough to play for a league side in northern england. Especially when guys Collins Obuya managed to get a county contract on the back of his 1999 WC performance. The chances for bangladeshis playing county cricket will recede now anyway, as they're only allowing one overseas player from next year (as opposed to the current limit of two). I'm sure that someone like Enamul Haque Jnr would take county cricket by storm, if given a chance.

But on the down side, 4 divisions down in NZ is still probably more competitive (and more professional) than the NCL...
Old December 9, 2007, 05:21 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any consistent performer

age is just a number or a frame of mind. if they can consistently play/do well, i don't mind if they are always 25. i knew a chinese whose certificate age was 30 even though he was 50 year old professor from china. graduated with highest distictions.
Old December 9, 2007, 09:36 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

my opinion:

Rokon should go there if he feels that it is good for him. i do not care if he plays in the 100th division. the fact that he gets an offer to fly to new zealand and enjoy the beautiful country and play there is a privilege in itself. he might be bored of our conditions. i think he should reconsider it with what he really wants.

if he does quite well, who knows, it is a one step-by step approach of Bangladeshi players to the english cricket league!
Old December 9, 2007, 09:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu2abu
Shubho, you have a point. It is certainly very annoying that guys like Ash who face the likes of Australia and South Africa are only deemed good enough to play for a league side in northern england. Especially when guys Collins Obuya managed to get a county contract on the back of his 1999 WC performance. The chances for bangladeshis playing county cricket will recede now anyway, as they're only allowing one overseas player from next year (as opposed to the current limit of two). I'm sure that someone like Enamul Haque Jnr would take county cricket by storm, if given a chance.

But on the down side, 4 divisions down in NZ is still probably more competitive (and more professional) than the NCL...
How are you sure that 4 divisions down is better than NCL? Isnt that just a wild imagination than factual? When Bangladesh U19 team,players who play the NCL, beats player of Pakistan U19, who plays in respective leagues and our A team consisting of discarded nationals, beats other A teams pretty often,,, I doubt that the National League is that bad. I think you have a wrong impression here. NCL is not as bad as you may want to think of it to be, certainly not bad as a 4th division league of any country.
Old December 9, 2007, 11:12 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubho
I mean what the hell...Havelock North Cricket Club??? You're kidding me, right? First, Md Ashraful is sent to Rainhill, and now this? Have we stooped this low? When even Kenyans can be called up to play for County teams, how is it that our players have to settle for third rate teams in fourth rate divisions?

Let's break it down for all those guys who are so happy that Rokon might get a chance to play in NZ: the State Championship there consists of six teams - Central Districts, Northern Districts, Otago, Canterbury, Auckland and Wellington. Each of these teams represent districts with their own leagues that have some 8-12 teams. One of the teams in the Central Districts league is the Hawke's Bay Cricket Association, which in turn has its own league. Now, Havelock North CC is in the second highest division of Hawke's Bay CA, i.e. it is a Senior division side within the Hawke's Bay league, not a Premier division side. And as it turns out, Havelock North CC is a middling team within that division.

My point exactly. Though I didn't know which division Havlock North were in but I knew they weren't a big name and I knew don't take part in major NZ cricketing competitions.
Old December 9, 2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizvi
What this in Narayangonj?
No, it was West Agargaon.
Old December 10, 2007, 04:59 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
How are you sure that 4 divisions down is better than NCL? Isnt that just a wild imagination than factual? When Bangladesh U19 team,players who play the NCL, beats player of Pakistan U19, who plays in respective leagues and our A team consisting of discarded nationals, beats other A teams pretty often,,, I doubt that the National League is that bad. I think you have a wrong impression here. NCL is not as bad as you may want to think of it to be, certainly not bad as a 4th division league of any country.
You're right Dhakablues, i don't know enough about NZ cricket to make that judgement. However, I do know that the NCL is of a pretty low standard with sides hardly exceeding 300 runs (admittedly this may have more to do with the pitches) and certainly never nearing 400+ which the domestic competition in most test nations regularly exceed.

You compare BD U19s to Pak U19s, but that's not a fair comparison. The Pak boys may well be more experienced but BD beat them in a one day competition, which (unlike the longer version) is anyone's game. Also, I think we need to be realistic, our U19s narrowly beat Pak, though beat them we did. We certainly never got anywhere near the margin of victory the Pak boys won by in the first two one day games....
Old December 10, 2007, 03:48 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Who cares if its a 1st division or 3rd division team. He will make more money there then in playing for NCL. Plus he's not coming back to National team again so it will be better for him to settle somewhere and earn good money. Whats wrong with this? Why some of you want BCB not to allow him to? I just don't get it.
Old December 10, 2007, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
Who cares if its a 1st division or 3rd division team. He will make more money there then in playing for NCL. Plus he's not coming back to National team again so it will be better for him to settle somewhere and earn good money. Whats wrong with this? Why some of you want BCB not to allow him to? I just don't get it.
Exactly my thoughts. Besides, the BCB doesn't have a contract with him. No contract, no command.
Old December 10, 2007, 04:01 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
I agree. Even though it will be a loss for NCL and BD but the players future comes first in this situation. This will encourage other to play well in each and every chance they get. As rokon got the call for his 100 (if that's true)...
Old December 10, 2007, 04:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
I agree. Even though it will be a loss for NCL and BD but the players future comes first in this situation. This will encourage other to play well in each and every chance they get. As rokon got the call for his 100 (if that's true)...
100? Naa. He hasn't made any 100 in this league. Perhaps you are talking about the previous league.
Old December 10, 2007, 04:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
100? Naa. He hasn't made any 100 in this league. Perhaps you are talking about the previous league.
he made a 100 in NZ. that's why they called him up...
Old January 10, 2008, 07:23 PM
Cricket Sage

Good News guys...

Al Shahriar is finally off to NZ.

He will play in the Napier Premier League for Havlock North Cricket Club.

He will earn $1,200 per week. Which a lot of money. And thats too excludes his plane pairs and rents.

He is also going to be the coach for the kids of the club. He will get extra money for this job.

Good luck to him. Hope he can perform well.

Prothom-Alo