facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old May 1, 2018, 08:34 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wang Liqin
Post ***Football (soccer) Discussion***

This may not be the best time to start an open discussion thread on Football (soccer) as the European club seasons and UCL are near ending and the WC is knocking at the door. But I hope the fans here who have keen interest in football besides cricket will give it a shot to last it long.

As I said, this is open to any football related discussion whether it’s about Messi vs Ronaldo, ARG vs BRA, El Classico, EPL vs LaLiga, Mo Salah for Ballon d'Or, Resurrection of Liverpool, Struggles of ManU & Arsenal and so on. Take your pick or start your own!

Meanwhile I will present some FIFA and UEFA stats to add some fuel:

FIFA Ranking (Top 5)
World

CONMEBOL
(South America)

UEFA
(Europe)

1) Germany1) Brazil1) Germany
2) Brazil5) Argentina3) Belgium
3) Belgium9) Chile4) Portugal
4) Portugal11) Peru6) Switzerland
5) Argentina16) Colombia7) France

UEFA Ranking (Top 5)

Top 5
UEFA Leagues

Top 5
UEFA Clubs

1) La Liga1) Real Madrid
2) EPL2) Athletico Madrid
3) Bundesliga3) Byyern Munchen
4) Serie A4) Barcelona
5) Ligue 15) Juventus

FIFA Best – 2017 (Top 5)
Best Player
(2017)
Best Goalkeeper
(2017)

Best Coach
(2017)

1) C Ronaldo1) G Buffon1) Z Zidance
2) L Messi2) M Neuer2) A Conte
3) Neymar3) K Navas3) M Allegri
4) G Buffon4) T Courtois4) J Low
5) S Ramos5) H Lloris5) J Mourinho

FIFA FIFPro World XI (2017)
(4-3-3 Formation)

G Buffon (GK)
D Alves (RFB), L Bonucci (CB), S Ramos (CB), Marcelo (LFB)
L Modric (RMF), T Kroos (CMF/DMF), A Iniesta (LMF)
L Messi (RW), C Roanldo (CF), Neymar (LW)

Let's begin...

Old May 1, 2018, 08:36 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

How old is buffoon?
Old May 1, 2018, 09:01 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
How old is buffoon?
Only 40.
Old May 1, 2018, 09:12 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ssei
Only 40.
That guy been playing forever.

I think that's the thing with goalies in hockey also.

Wasn't there used to be a CONCACAF division in football?
Old May 1, 2018, 09:28 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
That guy been playing forever.

I think that's the thing with goalies in hockey also.

Wasn't there used to be a CONCACAF division in football?
Although I'm an all-time Azzurri fan, I never liked Buffon that much. Baggio & Maradona are my all time fav. I just love playmakers as I used to be one.

Anyways, FIFA still has 6 confederations:
1. CAF
2. CONCACAF
3. CONMEBOL
4. OFC
5. AFC
6. UEFA

I didn't include others as they don't have high impact on overall rankings.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:07 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Although I'm an all-time Azzurri fan, I never liked Buffon that much. Baggio & Maradona are my all time fav.
I Was a die hard Baggio and Maradona Fan also. Long time Azzuri fan. I lost interest in this WC after Italy failed to qualify. Will be rooting for Argentina though but will be surprised if they go far.

Buffon has been playing since 2002 WC if I am not mistaken. His save in 2006 final won Italy the World cup. The great header by Zidane and the fantastic save by Buffon is simply the most exultant moment in football for me. I remember screaming like a maniac after that save.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:52 AM
Test Cricketer

Italy's successful run in 2006 WC is still a surprise to me. WC FInals are not for me as I simply can't support either Brazil or Germany.

But the most heartbreaking moment for me was Baggio's miss at 94 WC Final against Brazil. He single-handedly took ITA into final and then couldn't hold his nerve at the end when he was such a cool-headed player and a terrific penalty taker. Made me cry which made my mom cry.

Anyway, I didn't lose all interest in this upcoming WC although Italy couldn't qualify. Even if they did, they would perform poorly as they didn't come up with fresh talents for almost a decade now. I will be supporting ARG as well, mostly for Messi. But I think he had his opportunity last time. He is short of Maradona just by a WC Trophy.
Old May 2, 2018, 08:01 AM
Test Cricketer

Biggest fan of LFC (liverpool) here. Champions league semi finals coming up.. cannot wait.

Irrespective of what one may say, English Premier League is the best league in the world. It is the only league where the no 20th team can steal points off two of the best teams in the EPL for two consecutive weeks and no one would notice. (ex WBA against Man Utd and Liverpool).

La liga is a two horse race (Real and Barcelona) where the contest is more about who scores the most goals . Messi or Ronaldo and altogether 6 good games in 8 months between Real, Barca and Atleti.
Yes their two best teams have all the best players in the world but that makes the competition even more bland.
Old May 2, 2018, 08:39 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonmoy.dhaka
Biggest fan of LFC (liverpool) here. Champions league semi finals coming up.. cannot wait.

Irrespective of what one may say, English Premier League is the best league in the world. It is the only league where the no 20th team can steal points off two of the best teams in the EPL for two consecutive weeks and no one would notice. (ex WBA against Man Utd and Liverpool).

La liga is a two horse race (Real and Barcelona) where the contest is more about who scores the most goals . Messi or Ronaldo and altogether 6 good games in 8 months between Real, Barca and Atleti.
Yes their two best teams have all the best players in the world but that makes the competition even more bland.
I agree. My first love for a club was Liverpool and Abahoni (during 90's). To me at that age, Liverpool was the only club in EPL who played short-passes, 1-to-1 which was more eye-catching than typical/boring European style football. Of course, over years, things blended a lot between South America and Europe.

Presently, since the trio (Mo Salah+Firmino+Mané) are doing wonders again for Liverpool, I'm rooting for them. As I'm not a die-hard fan of any particular club, I just enjoy good football (except few clubs). However, Barca, Liverpool & ManCity are my fav nowadays. Can't stand RM as they have too many star players at almost every position and any sane person cannot like what Ramos, Pepe (ex) and sometimes Casemiro do in the field . And Ramos is considered one of the greatest defenders .

Perhaps people forgot Maldini, Nesta, Cannavaro - the ATG Italian Defense in my lifetime.
Old May 2, 2018, 09:19 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:

another die hard Liverpool fan here from the days of Kenny Dalglish (as a player)..

but seriously from the days of gerrard, carragher, and owen.

important game today. man if we haven't conceded those last 2 goals, it would have been so easy. I still hope we can make it and humiliate Real in the final.

mane, salah, firmino at top with Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner in middle should be good. But our defense is poor compared to other top teams.
Old May 2, 2018, 03:42 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Damn what a game. Liverpool goes to final on 7-6 aggr.

The best two legs of CL semi final I have witnessed
Old May 2, 2018, 08:19 PM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz

Quote:
Can't stand RM as they have too many star players at almost every position and any sane person cannot like what Ramos, Pepe (ex) and sometimes Casemiro do in the field . And Ramos is considered one of the greatest defenders .
You can't stand RM because they have too many star players? What's wrong with supporting a team filled with star players? And same could be said about players like Luis Suarez, Dani Alves, Jordi Alba, Victor Valdes etc and they play/played for Barcelona. It's all about perspective. It's easy to pick faults of your neighbor than look at your own backyard.

As for Ramos, he might not be the greatest defender but he is one of the greatest easily for his defensive skills alone. That is why he features in all best defenders list every year because they look at his defensive skills, not his antics. Perhaps you need to look at things objectively.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:02 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausif
You can't stand RM because they have too many star players? What's wrong with supporting a team filled with star players? And same could be said about players like Luis Suarez, Dani Alves, Jordi Alba, Victor Valdes etc and they play/played for Barcelona. It's all about perspective. It's easy to pick faults of your neighbor than look at your own backyard.

As for Ramos, he might not be the greatest defender but he is one of the greatest easily for his defensive skills alone. That is why he features in all best defenders list every year because they look at his defensive skills, not his antics. Perhaps you need to look at things objectively.
I might have used a wrong word here. Let me rephrase: I simply cannot like RM for players like Ramos, Pepe and Casemiro. Physical challenge is an integral part of defending, but not to that extent when a monster size defender (Pepe) steps on opponent's face or another (Ramos) gets a yellow card (some of which should be a straight RED) almost every 2-3 games.

And RM currently has too many good players at every position. Something similar to Brazil or Australia in cricket some years ago. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it - I just naturally don't fall for them unless it's Bangladesh.

And I can't watch/follow a sport objectively. That means I can't only look for my fav team to win/lose or my fav player to score or not. Football will lose all its beauty to me. When a player scores, I will want to know how he scored it, who assisted - the whole setup.

BTW, you automatically and typically brought Barcelona into the comparison. As I said before, I'm not a die-hard fan of any current club or player. So, there is nothing wrong in liking RM and its players, but when you say Ramos is the best defender and absolutely ignore what else he does in the field - that's not the spirit I care.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I might have used a wrong word here. Let me rephrase: I simply cannot like RM for players like Ramos, Pepe and Casemiro. Physical challenge is an integral part of defending, but not to that extent when a monster size defender (Pepe) steps on opponent's face or another (Ramos) gets a yellow card (some of which should be a straight RED) almost every 2-3 games.

And RM currently has too many good players at every position. Something similar to Brazil or Australia in cricket some years ago. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it - I just naturally don't fall for them unless it's Bangladesh.

And I can't watch/follow a sport objectively. That means I can't only look for my fav team to win/lose or my fav player to score or not. Football will lose all its beauty to me. When a player scores, I will want to know how he scored it, who assisted - the whole setup.

BTW, you automatically and typically brought Barcelona into the comparison. As I said before, I'm not a die-hard fan of any current club or player. So, there is nothing wrong in liking RM and its players, but when you say Ramos is the best defender and absolutely ignore what else he does in the field - that's not the spirit I care.
There is matter of personal opinion which you rephrased to just now and then there is making statements like "any sane person cannot like what Ramos, Pepe (ex) and sometimes Casemiro do in the field". My reply to was just that only because if we are talking sanity, then some of the stuff for example Suarez does are also not something a sane person can like if we were to go by your statement. Regardless, every big team will have a Ramos, Vidal, Suarez etc. who are known for their antics.

Fair enough on the good players point, if that's what you prefer.

And I am not sure what you mean typically? How often have you seen me bring Barcelona into a conversation? For the record, I only brought Barcelona because you mentioned right before RM parts that Barcelona is one of your favorite teams and I do not watch the other teams you mentioned enough to know which players are known for their antics. You brought up the question of sanity by others so I mentioned that the team you support also contains players that have done not so sane things in the past going by your statement. As for the Ramos part, I was just responding to your statement as to why he is considered one of the best. When they are giving the Balon D'or to let's say Messi or Ronaldo, they are not looking at who they fouled, how many cards they got, or how ugly they were with other players. They are basing it on their respective stats, titles, and season performance. That's the same in Ramos's case. You might look at things outside of his abilities such as antics and spirit while others do not, that's all. Doesn't mean you are right and they are wrong or they are right and you are wrong. It's just what aspects people value over others.

At the end, I would not have questioned any of your statements if you phrased in terms of personal opinion instead of making it seem like you're judging everyone who like those players and RM in general.
Old May 3, 2018, 08:27 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Damn what a game. Liverpool goes to final on 7-6 aggr.

The best two legs of CL semi final I have witnessed
We've conquered all of Europe,
We're never going to stop,
From Paris down to Turkey,
We've won the f****ing lot,
Bob Paisley and Bill Shankly,
The Fields of Anfield Road,
We are loyal supporters,
And we come from Liverpool!
Allez, Allez, Allez,
Allez, Allez, Allez,
Allez, Allez, Allez,
Allez, Allez, Allez...
Old May 3, 2018, 08:34 AM
Test Cricketer

Not a big fan of Real Madrid because they represent Franco's Fascist Spain. Cannot tolerate Barcelona because of the Oscar worthy acting by their players (Suarez, Busquets, Umtiti etc) and not to mention they say "they represent Catalonia, they are more than a Club" but they refused to abandon playing a La Liga game when Catalonia was burning because 3 points in La liga was more important.

Barcelona at one time was doing the right thing i.e Develop their youth (via La Masia) , play beautiful football . However now, they rely on buying trophies. They target players to revolt against their clubs so that Barca can buy them for cheap (ex Dembele and Coutinho). They play ugly Mourinhoesque football.

Anyways enough ranting. Time to enjoy Klopp and LFC. Allez Allez Allez
Old May 3, 2018, 10:35 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Quote:

Barcelona at one time was doing the right thing i.e Develop their youth (via La Masia) , play beautiful football . However now, they rely on buying trophies. They target players to revolt against their clubs so that Barca can buy them for cheap (ex Dembele and Coutinho). They play ugly Mourinhoesque football.
ah Coutinho. how did that work out? hahaha..

RM doesn't have any likable players. I can't stand Varane, Vasquez, Isco, Ramos. They are an effective them though. They played very ugly on the 1st leg in Munich and was able to score 2 goals but it was just not fun to watch.

Same with Man U. They lack creativity and flair of Man City/Liverpool now. Heck, I even find Tottenham with Son, Harry Kane, Erikson, Dele Ali more entertaining than the likes of Lukaku, Martial, Sanchez, Pogbas. But once again Man U has picked up the game this year and will finish 2nd most likely. They will do well in EPL but won't go far against other top European games and its evident from their loss against Sevilla.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
ah Coutinho. how did that work out? hahaha..

RM doesn't have any likable players.
Damn what did players like Modric, Navas, Kroos do lol.

And funny thing about Coutinho is that he said he joined Barcelona to win the Champions League and now Liverpool are in the CL final and have a good chance of winning it while Barcelona are eliminated
Old May 3, 2018, 12:31 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:

And funny thing about Coutinho is that he said he joined Barcelona to win the Champions League and now Liverpool are in the CL final and have a good chance of winning it while Barcelona are eliminated
Personally I dislike Sergio Ramos and used to hate Pepe (hope I do not have to explain the reasoning). The rest are ok.

Coutinho will still get a Champions league medal is LFC wins. Given his contribution in the group stages it is deserved to a certain degree. However he is a Judas.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:59 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Quote:

Navas looks like Shafiul's big brother minus the long hair. Modric and Kroos are decent though. Forgot about Benzema and his scandal.

On Countinho, I believe he made his intentions clear in the beginning of the season and was able to leave mid season. I was worried that Liverpool will suffer but they clearly didn't.

I see you are a real fan. I will see you on 05/26 then.

As Mash would say, Liverpool dhoira diba ne real re aibar. Just gotta tighten up that defense.
Old May 3, 2018, 01:05 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
There is matter of personal opinion which you rephrased to just now and then there is making statements like "any sane person cannot like what Ramos, Pepe (ex) and sometimes Casemiro do in the field". My reply to was just that only because if we are talking sanity, then some of the stuff for example Suarez does are also not something a sane person can like if we were to go by your statement. Regardless, every big team will have a Ramos, Vidal, Suarez etc. who are known for their antics.

Fair enough on the good players point, if that's what you prefer.

And I am not sure what you mean typically? How often have you seen me bring Barcelona into a conversation? For the record, I only brought Barcelona because you mentioned right before RM parts that Barcelona is one of your favorite teams and I do not watch the other teams you mentioned enough to know which players are known for their antics. You brought up the question of sanity by others so I mentioned that the team you support also contains players that have done not so sane things in the past going by your statement. As for the Ramos part, I was just responding to your statement as to why he is considered one of the best. When they are giving the Balon D'or to let's say Messi or Ronaldo, they are not looking at who they fouled, how many cards they got, or how ugly they were with other players. They are basing it on their respective stats, titles, and season performance. That's the same in Ramos's case. You might look at things outside of his abilities such as antics and spirit while others do not, that's all. Doesn't mean you are right and they are wrong or they are right and you are wrong. It's just what aspects people value over others.

At the end, I would not have questioned any of your statements if you phrased in terms of personal opinion instead of making it seem like you're judging everyone who like those players and RM in general.
Fair enough. By "typical" I meant the typical RM vs Barca fight over social media, not specific to you. It's perhaps the first time we're arguing on anything.

Although I like the playing style of Barcelona or Liverpool or ManCity, I watch other teams' games as well, especially if they are renowned like RM or ManU and so on. Naturally, my support goes to the weaker side. However, I can have a neutral view on how it's being played. For example, being an Azzurri fan all my life, I would like to see Serie A teams do well. However I would still dislike if they fail to show any attractive football (like they played more physical football in UCL SF). Although I was rooting for LFC yesterday, I would still talk about how Roma didn't get a penalty from the first handball (but the one they got wasn't perhaps right either).

I hope you get my point. I like beautiful football whether it's technical or eye-catching. I can't be blind on features like red-card category fouls, super-aggressive tackling, intentional handballs, slapping/kicking/biting opponents, act of falling in D-box to get unfair penalty - whoever does it from whichever team.

Talking about Ramos, yes, he is a good defender. But I also see his outrageous activities which are more frequent than any other. I wouldn't allow such nature in my team (if I had any) just for the sake of winning. And yes, It's my personal opinion. People can still love him. Fans of Spain or RM will definitely love him. Who am I to stop this? I'm just saying what I think and believe.
Old May 3, 2018, 01:15 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

^Seria is a one team league these days. Juve is about to win their 7th championship (scudetto) in a row. That is unimaginable in EPL and La Liga. Maybe only Bayern and PSG has such dominance in their respective leagues.

But Napoli is getting better these days. Both Inter and AC Milan are a shadow of their former glorious teams. Roma surprised everyone in CL and the Barca game was one of the biggest shock in recent memory. Juve is so confident that they don't feel special winning Seria anymore.

There is a new Netflix documentary on Juve called the First Team. Highly recommend it if you are Azzuri fan.
Old May 3, 2018, 01:22 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Personally I dislike Sergio Ramos and used to hate Pepe (hope I do not have to explain the reasoning). The rest are ok.

Coutinho will still get a Champions league medal is LFC wins. Given his contribution in the group stages it is deserved to a certain degree. However he is a Judas.

After this, he should have got a life-ban.
And RM should have been penalized for playing such player.
Old May 3, 2018, 01:35 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
^Seria is a one team league these days. Juve is about to win their 7th championship (scudetto) in a row. That is unimaginable in EPL and La Liga. Maybe only Bayern and PSG has such dominance in their respective leagues.

But Napoli is getting better these days. Both Inter and AC Milan are a shadow of their former glorious teams. Roma surprised everyone in CL and the Barca game was one of the biggest shock in recent memory. Juve is so confident that they don't feel special winning Seria anymore.

There is a new Netflix documentary on Juve called the First Team. Highly recommend it if you are Azzuri fan.
I know man. Serie A used to be the 2nd best league in Europe with Juve, AC & Inter Milan, Roma, Parma, Fiorentina, Napoli, Lazio. Those days are long gone and so is Italian soccer. They need to regain the status of Serie A in order to better their national team.
Old May 3, 2018, 01:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Fair enough. By "typical" I meant the typical RM vs Barca fight over social media, not specific to you. It's perhaps the first time we're arguing on anything.

Although I like the playing style of Barcelona or Liverpool or ManCity, I watch other teams' games as well, especially if they are renowned like RM or ManU and so on. Naturally, my support goes to the weaker side. However, I can have a neutral view on how it's being played. For example, being an Azzurri fan all my life, I would like to see Serie A teams do well. However I would still dislike if they fail to show any attractive football (like they played more physical football in UCL SF). Although I was rooting for LFC yesterday, I would still talk about how Roma didn't get a penalty from the first handball (but the one they got wasn't perhaps right either).

I hope you get my point. I like beautiful football whether it's technical or eye-catching. I can't be blind on features like red-card category fouls, super-aggressive tackling, intentional handballs, slapping/kicking/biting opponents, act of falling in D-box to get unfair penalty - whoever does it from whichever team.

Talking about Ramos, yes, he is a good defender. But I also see his outrageous activities which are more frequent than any other. I wouldn't allow such nature in my team (if I had any) just for the sake of winning. And yes, It's my personal opinion. People can still love him. Fans of Spain or RM will definitely love him. Who am I to stop this? I'm just saying what I think and believe.
Fair enough. Like I said already, if you would have phrased all of this as a personal opinion to begin with, we would not be having this conversation.

And I hope you also have the same stance on Suarez as you have on Pepe as you’ve been pointing out this whole time. Both have done some despicable stuff that should have gotten them a life ban but here they are.