facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Poll: After Kayes's 121 in the practice match, should he open with Tamim in the Eng series?
Yes. He should take Soumya's place, who has been below par, including this practice match. 24 70.59%
No. Soumya is a big game player. He is also a plus in the field. 8 23.53%
Kayes should open with Tamim, as those two have good rapport.But Soumya should be in the XI. 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 6, 2016, 09:35 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Fans may not like him but that has nothing to do with team management. He has remained a fringe player for a decade and that is not because of lack of flair. It is because he never could take the countless opportunities and cement his place. World cup where anamul got injured could have been the one that changed hearts. Ryad elevated himself in that tournament with back to back centuries. Practice match heriocs wont be remembered if he flops in the actual games. At first He needs to put in a good innings without edges and with a decent strike rate and then move on to even better performances
I wasn't talking about a decade ago. I was talking about now. No one said he's as good as Mahmudullah either or that he has proven anything in ODIs.

Shouldn't be judged based on WC where he was flown in overnight and faced very tough conditions and swing vs the Kiwis. In fact, the only recent and relevant data we have of him in one-day games is the practice match and the game vs AFG. The practice match hardly guarantees anything one way or the other, but given Soumya's form, that's better than nothing, and given there was a change in approach, it gives hope. Even if Imrul fails, Soumya can start in NZ, and that's better than the other way around like someone already pointed out.

Some fans didn't appreciate Imrul's contributions even in the Test format, and underrating Mahmudullah and overrating Ashraful and calling for Nasir when he was useless and cut from the team are other examples of those fans placing a lot of weight on "flair," which is what easily catches the eye, over actual output.

Old October 6, 2016, 10:05 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Fans are just fans... no matter how much we scream and shout about drop this guy pick that guy etc it wont make a difference in the end. We all have our opinion of a player and opinion do change over time. I used to dislike Ryad especially after Asia Cup final but he won me over with his strokeplay. It doesnt matter if he scores 5 ducks in a row now because he made me believe in his ability. With Kayes in limited overs i am yet to be convinced much like many others. He lacks flair but more importantly i cant remember any match winning contributions like i can remember with Anamul, Soumya etc. He has played a lot of games and he needs to make more of an impact in the game as an opener instead of playing supporting cast to Tamim. There was a time when we were an average team and back then guys like Naeem, Kayes, Razin etc could get in just because they could hold an innings. Right now our team is no longer that team and the expectation is higher. Teams in the rest of the world have enitre batting unit full of aggressive players and the people need to adapt and change their approach to fit in. This is where Imrul falls behind. Now that he has secured this series he needs to go out and play attacking cricket... doesnt matter if he gets out at 30-35 runs just give the team a boost at the start of power play. Again, this is just my opinion which has no impact on anything.

The real decision makers/The team management has the closest view of the player and they have the best technical knowledge of the game as professionals and it is their internal assessment combined with selection panel recommendations that count. Reading some posters here it seems as if imrul is not selected because we love soumya in BC.
Old October 7, 2016, 06:41 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Fans are just fans... no matter how much we scream and shout about drop this guy pick that guy etc it wont make a difference in the end. We all have our opinion of a player and opinion do change over time. I used to dislike Ryad especially after Asia Cup final but he won me over with his strokeplay. It doesnt matter if he scores 5 ducks in a row now because he made me believe in his ability. With Kayes in limited overs i am yet to be convinced much like many others. He lacks flair but more importantly i cant remember any match winning contributions like i can remember with Anamul, Soumya etc. He has played a lot of games and he needs to make more of an impact in the game as an opener instead of playing supporting cast to Tamim. There was a time when we were an average team and back then guys like Naeem, Kayes, Razin etc could get in just because they could hold an innings. Right now our team is no longer that team and the expectation is higher. Teams in the rest of the world have enitre batting unit full of aggressive players and the people need to adapt and change their approach to fit in. This is where Imrul falls behind. Now that he has secured this series he needs to go out and play attacking cricket... doesnt matter if he gets out at 30-35 runs just give the team a boost at the start of power play. Again, this is just my opinion which has no impact on anything.

The real decision makers/The team management has the closest view of the player and they have the best technical knowledge of the game as professionals and it is their internal assessment combined with selection panel recommendations that count. Reading some posters here it seems as if imrul is not selected because we love soumya in BC.
We're talking about Imrul starting in this series only. Don't think a single person wrote Soumya off already or claimed of being "convinced" by Imrul in ODIs. Given Soumya's lack of form and confidence, Imrul's century in the practice match, and the opponents/venues in question in this and next series, it's just the better option for this series..or at least the first two games.

Regarding aggression, as has been mentioned and reported, Imrul worked on a new, more positive/attacking approach in training. In lower scoring games, one opener anchoring is fine. On sporting wickets vs this opponent, both openers obviously need to be proactive, and the results from training were fine in the practice match with him crossing 100.

Before Imrul started delivering in Test, he lacked good innings in Test too. So, nothing is set in stone. There's less guarantee of him failing than Soumya failing in this series.

We're past the Javed Omar Belim Golla era, but we're talking about Imrul stepping in for an off form player here on a temporary basis, and I don't see better options. It definitely isn't Anamul at the moment. That's a prime example of overrating the effects of someone's natural ability and not seeing the actual output/application.
Old October 7, 2016, 07:04 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

kayes might prove me wrong today but to chase this kind of total you need someone like soumya
Old October 7, 2016, 09:14 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
kayes might prove me wrong today but to chase this kind of total you need someone like soumya
Tamim saying hey

Kayes going at SR of 98 atm.

Am not a big fan of Kayes but credit should be given where it's due
Old October 7, 2016, 09:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Looking in good touch.

Only negative is he is trying to play everything on the leg. Pity because he has a brilliant cover drive
Old October 7, 2016, 10:31 AM

Time to eat humble pies for 99.9% bc members
Old October 7, 2016, 10:38 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

Eat humble pies who ever wanted soumya instead of imrul.. All will be served by our beloved BP . free of charge. BP where are you?
Old October 7, 2016, 10:55 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

I have always Backed Imrul, Riyad since Day one even before BP posted here
Old October 7, 2016, 11:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Sorry Kayes. You tried your best even in that sort of hot and humid condition. Your team mates should be ashamed for spoiling your century. Hats off.
Old October 7, 2016, 11:57 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

sorry Kayes.
Hats off.
Old October 8, 2016, 06:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot

Goodbye Soumya!
Old October 8, 2016, 07:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingara
Goodbye Soumya!
Bhai, goodbye Soumya chhara bolar r bhlo kisu pailen na? Imrul joggota diye team a dhukse. Soumya er form firle sheo eksomoy dhukte paare. Who knows?
Old October 8, 2016, 08:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnaf
Eat humble pies who ever wanted soumya instead of imrul.. All will be served by our beloved BP . free of charge. BP where are you?
here i am parrtying too hard from Imrul's last performance hence the absence from BC. Now im back

Really hoping Imrul can score big today as well.
Old October 8, 2016, 08:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
I have always Backed Imrul, Riyad since Day one even before BP posted here
Rifat bhai ektu joking toking kom korte hobe

Old October 8, 2016, 08:19 PM
Cricket Legend

too be frank i wouldnt even mind if Soumya came lower down the order. We know he can give the ball a bash and he doesn't have to struggle against the new ball cos he will be coming in when the ball is older. And that one time he came down lower in the order in the T20 world cup iirc or was it the Asia Cup he scored 30 odd runs. But i highly doubt its an option tho cos who would he even replace lower down the order cos Nasir is probably the lower order batting option ahead of Soumya.
Old October 8, 2016, 11:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

batting lower down the order is a different skill on its own.

Batting at 6/7 when setting a target is completely different from that while chasing a target. Chasing a target you need to be able to soak in the pressure, and use wide variety of shots to help your side score the runs. While batting first, Soumya would have some freedom but an off-form player struggling at the death is not the answer to our final over woes.
Old October 9, 2016, 02:55 AM
Test Cricketer

Team management has been making too many changes in these last two series as is (with batting order esp), and you guys want more chopping and changing on top of that. That harms the team, doesn't do any good.
Old October 9, 2016, 04:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habib
Bhai, goodbye Soumya chhara bolar r bhlo kisu pailen na? Imrul joggota diye team a dhukse. Soumya er form firle sheo eksomoy dhukte paare. Who knows?
BD cricket team motto : Jey jay, shey ar firey ashey na!
Old October 9, 2016, 04:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingara
BD cricket team motto : Jey jay, shey ar firey ashey na!
Shetai. Ke jaane, Imrul o abar chole jete paare.
Old October 12, 2016, 04:39 AM

Fearless kayes!

Very good since he came back to the play XI.

Tamim looks like a ordinary bat when Kayes bats with him