facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 13, 2007, 10:31 AM
Cricket Legend

There's another thread, "What are you reading now". Well this is what I was reading but had to break for lunch. Think I'll finish up next week.

Old May 14, 2007, 01:38 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
There's another thread, "What are you reading now". Well this is what I was reading but had to break for lunch. Think I'll finish up next week.
LOL
Old May 14, 2007, 07:55 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
lol
Old May 15, 2007, 05:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
I have gone through the whole writing. I found it a bit too cynical and the writer appeared to be frustrated with his current state of affairs. There were some very valid points made which I agreed to fully but overall the piece was a bit too cynical for me and that is where it gets negative points from my personal point of view.
thanks for claiming to read the whole thing. i am rather cynical about the corrupt class of people in dhaka... should i not be? anyway, a closer reading can clear up things about my frustrations with the current state of affairs... by the way.
Old May 15, 2007, 05:26 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahid
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
malice and envy must run deep in those wannabe mountie, fetish-infested veins... from your stalking - i don't think i'm flattering myself, haven't had enough time learn that particular craft from the likes of you yet - i think you're mistaking dudley doright for an officer of the gestapo. fascism, i.e. the exercise of unilateral power without any possibilities of a role-reversal in order to pathetically mask personal inadequacies, is not the way to go. a therapist maybe a better idea. i'm glad such forums exist for people like you to remain anonymous and vent away before you consider going postal one of these days... go ahead, use the dictionary...

Last edited by Sohel; May 16, 2007 at 05:14 AM..
Old May 15, 2007, 05:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
thanks for claiming to read the whole thing. i am rather cynical about the corrupt class of people in dhaka... should i not be? anyway, a closer reading can clear up things about my frustrations with the current state of affairs... by the way.
There's no point in staying frustrated or cynical. You cannot change societies alone.

If you want to know more about Dhaka people, I suggest you take several long walks, by foot, in worn-out choppols, on the streets of Dhaka. Have some biri, have some ganja (if that suits you), drink some tea at the tea-stalls with rickshawalas, eat lunches and dinners at nondescript shacks, start spitting on the streets, pissing on the walls adjacent to the sidewalks and having man-to-man chats many of the people who are in a less fortunate position than you are in. You will feel different. You will start to feel like a Dhakaya.
Old May 15, 2007, 06:59 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
There's no point in staying frustrated or cynical. You cannot change societies alone.

If you want to know more about Dhaka people, I suggest you take several long walks, by foot, in worn-out choppols, on the streets of Dhaka. Have some biri, have some ganja (if that suits you), drink some tea at the tea-stalls with rickshawalas, eat lunches and dinners at nondescript shacks, start spitting on the streets, pissing on the walls adjacent to the sidewalks and having man-to-man chats many of the people who are in a less fortunate position than you are in. You will feel different. You will start to feel like a Dhakaya.
i agree 100%. i feel deeply proud to be who i am - a bangladeshi bangali (there are non-bengali bangladeshis like the chakma also, just want to clear that up). the corrupt, now thankfully on the run, are the ONLY ones who rain on my prade. i thought the essay made that quite clear.
Old May 15, 2007, 11:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
I dont know what made you say I "claimed" to read it. I would not have said so if I had not read the whole thing. That is the first thing that shows your initial instinct is not to trust the other person, hence a cynical side to you which is not the best of things to have. I am not judging you just giving my opinion based on your posts in this thread. I dont mean to offend you either, so please ignore it if it does. ON your first post, I had gone through it thoroughly the first time i did not just skim through the lines. I still think that there were parts where there was not need to be cynical but still you were. Your frustration and cynicism was glaring out in the writing and I still stick to it. But that is my opinion. Please dont feel offended. You wrote something in a public forum and being a member I analyzed it to the best of my ability.
Old May 15, 2007, 01:45 PM
Banned

When I went to Dhaka, I was pleasantly surprised.

I found people very nice. I was also impressed by the infrastructure of the city.

However spending a few days in Dhaka constitutes nothing in terms of giving any real judgement of any depth, so I am preemptively exonerating myself from such a accusation if they are levelled against me.

The other thing about Dhaka is from what I saw everybody on the street is active and working and no one is walking around doing nothing. It is a city on the move.

Insha'Allah I'd like to go back to BD soon and check out Chittagong, Coxs Bazaar and other places.
Old May 16, 2007, 09:58 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
I dont know what made you say I "claimed" to read it. I would not have said so if I had not read the whole thing. That is the first thing that shows your initial instinct is not to trust the other person, hence a cynical side to you which is not the best of things to have. I am not judging you just giving my opinion based on your posts in this thread. I dont mean to offend you either, so please ignore it if it does. ON your first post, I had gone through it thoroughly the first time i did not just skim through the lines. I still think that there were parts where there was not need to be cynical but still you were. Your frustration and cynicism was glaring out in the writing and I still stick to it. But that is my opinion. Please dont feel offended. You wrote something in a public forum and being a member I analyzed it to the best of my ability.
sorry bhaiya, i didn't mean to offend you in any way, shape or form. i'm glad you've taken the time to read and give some thoughtful feedback. when i read it, i see the cynicism clearly springing from a particular class of people living in a particular neighborhood in dhaka. i live in that particular neighborhood by the way. still, it's mighty presumptuous of me think that others read it the same way. my work here takes me to rural bangladesh, especially sandwip and munshiganj a great deal, and the gentle nobility of the people in those areas, skilled and deeply in touch with our roots never fail to inspire me. i also volunteer as an english teacher in some of the local slums, and the remarkable sacrifices the slum-dwellers make for each other, and smiles on the faces of garment-workers despite the nature of the work in those sweatshops add to the inspiration - no matter how cynical i get amidst the self-centered, vanity-driven apathy of the iniquitous...
Old May 16, 2007, 10:02 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAsif
so I am preemptively exonerating myself from such a accusation if they are levelled against me.
no accusations leveled against anybody, especially you. sorry if it came out that way...
Old May 29, 2007, 09:48 PM
Cricket Savant

... and this thread dies.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 29, 2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
... and this thread dies.
and you've shamelessly bumped your own thread? tsk tsk
Old May 29, 2007, 11:34 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
and you've shamelessly bumped your own thread? tsk tsk
gee, thanks for the show of good faith bro... i WAS saying good-bye, you didn't HAVE TO keep it alive like this.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 30, 2007, 03:01 AM

Quote:
gee, thanks for the show of good faith bro... i WAS saying good-bye, you didn't HAVE TO keep it alive like this.
I dont have a problem, if you dont
Old May 30, 2007, 06:09 AM
First Class Cricketer

If someone need to prepare him/her self for IELTS then this could be a best thread for that person. Very good reading comprehension. After completing the full paragraph one can ensure 6.5 in reading.
Old May 30, 2007, 11:36 PM
Cricket Legend

It will take quite some time to read the first post. But I will read the post and will write something about it soon. Sohel_NR keep this thread alive!

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ