facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 15, 2015, 11:13 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

A Sarkar century would be better than a run a ball and we need that sort of century to post a 300 plus total. Can SS do it? He seems to be unfazed by the occasion

Old March 15, 2015, 12:08 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
wait what? I never questioned this guy. I like SS. I criticized Taskin and said he is over-hyped.

#cough# #cough#

Would you mind reading #6 again here:

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=45319

Old March 15, 2015, 04:37 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
#cough# #cough#

Would you mind reading #6 again here:

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=45319

Haha good find. Even I forgot. Honestly SS has very average domestic records. But he came out good in intl outings. I don't mind being wrong a thousand times and get filled with humble pie as long as any of them play good and we win. My predictions are worthless.
Old March 15, 2015, 04:42 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: BD Players, Starc, Waqar

^^hehe that's the spirit my friend
Old March 17, 2015, 12:58 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tendulkar & Jonty Rhodes

I haven't seen Soumya Sarkar bat but have heard Gavaskar talk about him on one of the shows, so I pretty sure he is not bad but calling him a future sensation is expecting too much out of him, thats the thing with Bangladeshi fans. I am one of the OLDEST Indian cricket fan on banglacricket (first post back in 2003 or 2004 at the age of 14 but quit posting after 2006) and this is what has been consistent with this particular forum since then. Bangladeshi cricketers are talented but immature and so are the fans, much more immature than the cricketers themselves.

This thread reminds me of this: http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=14519

Tbh, Ashraful might have been good but the bottom-line is, he isn't around anymore and it was premature to compare him to Tendulkar or Lara back then and its premature to call Saumya Sarkar a "batting Sensation"
Old March 17, 2015, 01:42 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: sabbir, soumya

Quote:
Originally Posted by be_friend_13
I haven't seen Soumya Sarkar bat but have heard Gavaskar talk about him on one of the shows, so I pretty sure he is not bad but calling him a future sensation is expecting too much out of him, thats the thing with Bangladeshi fans. I am one of the OLDEST Indian cricket fan on banglacricket (first post back in 2003 or 2004 at the age of 14 but quit posting after 2006) and this is what has been consistent with this particular forum since then. Bangladeshi cricketers are talented but immature and so are the fans, much more immature than the cricketers themselves.

This thread reminds me of this: http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=14519

Tbh, Ashraful might have been good but the bottom-line is, he isn't around anymore and it was premature to compare him to Tendulkar or Lara back then and its premature to call Saumya Sarkar a "batting Sensation"

I dont think that assessment is fair. We all judge based on potential.

NFL and NBA have drafts with millions on the line based off on pure potential. Its a race to find the next Manning or the next Kobe.

How many times have you heard of the term DRAFT BUST.

it happens. You think someone is going to come good. A couple years later, they are done. Happens in NFL much more than cricket, but you get the jist of it.

I dont think it has anything to do with fan or player immaturity. Its just statistically reasonable that you will find in a pool of 500 players, 20 with the potential to be legendary but ultimately one 2-3 at best really make that mark.
Old March 17, 2015, 01:52 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerblood99
I dont think that assessment is fair. We all judge based on potential.

NFL and NBA have drafts with millions on the line based off on pure potential. Its a race to find the next Manning or the next Kobe.

How many times have you heard of the term DRAFT BUST.

it happens. You think someone is going to come good. A couple years later, they are done. Happens in NFL much more than cricket, but you get the jist of it.

I dont think it has anything to do with fan or player immaturity. Its just statistically reasonable that you will find in a pool of 500 players, 20 with the potential to be legendary but ultimately one 2-3 at best really make that mark.
True. Thats a fair assessment of whats happening on this thread as well but it is also true that Bangladeshi fan's assessment so far has hardly come good, which is a fact and that is what I was pointing towards. I heard somewhere that he is as good as Ganguly on the off-side, if thats true, he is definitely going to score big in international cricket as long as he doesn't hang out with Ashraful much
Old March 17, 2015, 02:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

you have to actually watch soumya bat and you will instantly know what we are talking about.
Old March 17, 2015, 03:34 AM
First Class Cricketer

I am, on the 19th. Looking forward to it. Its going to be a big game for Bangladesh and Saumya, if he scores a ton in this match, his popularity will shoot through the roof. Unlike say, if Jadeja scores a ton, his popularity will still be the same.
Old March 17, 2015, 03:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Ajay still playing for India? He must be getting on a bit by now!
Old March 17, 2015, 04:45 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

He is someone who just comes and does his job quietly. He plays some exquisitive looking shots which is a gentle push and ends up for 4.

He just has some brain farts in his innings. That will go away with experience InshahAllah
Old May 22, 2019, 10:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Yes im going to cop a lot of stick for a thread like this. But first hear me out because i barely open many threads. People who know me on the forum for long enough know im not the type of guy to prematurely say things like this about any new player coming into the team. But i think its different this time round. I can just feel it in my veins. And ill tell you why.

First time i watched Soumya bat was wen i watched the Ban v Zim highlights where he made 20 odd. And i think true love hit me. His elegant style and his timing really stood out and it was something different. It just gave me instant goosebumps. Something i haven't felt or seen from a BD batsmen for a quite a while. Not only that but he looked confident and in control and for a debut batsmen is almost unheard of.

But that wasn't the end of him for me. Out of all the BD players the bd player i ever met face to face was in fact Soumya! Not only that but he is also the only bd player ive had a proper conversation with. I feel its a sign for me like his humble character really touched me and so from that point on my admiration for him grew tenfold.

And now to his actual batting. Yes he was making starts and looked eye catching. But people bring up the whole he might be a SN, JS, Omi and they use the example that someone like Junaid would also make an eye catching 20 and get out. Which is fair enough but personally i feel Soumya will definitely not turn out to be a player like the SN, Junaid etc. And ill tell you why.

Firstly its because of his technique why i think this. Yeah sure Omi and Junaid had decent techniques but it was nothing as elegant and graceful as Soumya's. Heck its not even comparable. The way Soumya times the ball beautifully when he punches the ball down the ground is the type of shot you see from Ganguly's book of shots. The beauty of it is that it looks like he isn't even trying, its just something so natural. It's all class.

Junaid and Omi might have had decent techniques but they had glaring technical issues. Soumya does not. When i watched JS, Omi bat it never really struck a chord for me. Junaid had too much of a high backlift and would lose his balance at the crease. Jahurul is too much of a bottom handed player who tries overhitting every ball. So in my opinion its offensive to compare Soumya's batting style to the jodu modus we have had coming thru at the top order for us.

And furthermore the confidence Soumya shows is unparallel. He didn't crap his pants being a youngster facing Jimmy Anderson, Borad, Boult etc. for the first time. He didn't go into a shell and stop scoring. He saw it as an opportunity and took on the opportunity. Have u seen this kind of attitude from any of the batsmen we had coming thru over the years? Simple answer is no. All the jodu modu batsmen would have looked clueless or dug themselves into a hole.

Furthermore the way he handled the NZ bowlers today with the kind of swing that was happening, considering its the first time he has played in those types of conditions, without having much experience in those conditions, shows to me he is definitely a gem of a player. That kind of attitude is almost Tendulkaresque. He showed to us he can bat in all conditions and can adjust with ease.

Overall what im trying to say is that this guy has it all. The type of player Bangladesh desperately needed. He might happen to struggle at times but he is definitely worth having in the team for years to come because i know without a doubt he will go places. He will definitely give back to Bangladesh Cricket. He could possibly be the start of a new breed of Bangladeshi batsmen coming thru the ranks. He is the future. And he is already here.
I wrote this like 5 years ago and I spoke with such certainty lmao.