facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 24, 2015, 10:51 PM
2019 WC Ranking Predictor Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sachin,Klusener

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight
Jubair is definitely one of the alternative. And as per my observation, Haturi did not like Shafiul that much either. He particularly mentioned the New Zealand game where he said they could've won the game if they had a better team and in that game he didn't use Shafiul in place of Mash.
I think Haturi was much more angry with Taijul's performance in that game.

Old March 25, 2015, 01:29 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
It was reported in few news papers that Shafiul was completely unfit when he joined the team as replacement.
was unfit. Media ek tu barai boley. Oi chikna kemne unfit hobey?
Old March 25, 2015, 01:31 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
By carrying an injury bhai. Chikna manush ra injury-proof na
Old March 25, 2015, 11:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues

Hathurasinghe may think that there are other talents out there that the selectors didnt consider or scout. But baring the Jubair Hossain issue, there really weren't any top class players that they missed. Like Siddons once said, there ain't no Tendulkar out there ( for selection)..
Well Jubair Hossain is a perfect example why Hathurasinghe may think that there are indeed hidden talent here and there, but selectors don't have the vision or skillset to identify them.

Overall the team selection was pretty decent, I agree with you. But substitute selection was not. I. Kayes is another example where selectors failed to show some bold and innovative (yet risky) decision. A Litton or Rony would be much better choice. Our coach is not afraid of "lack of experience" in our players, if he see talent, he is willing to take the risk, he have shown that already.

For similar reason Shafiul is also a lame selection. They had a chance to bring back Jubair, they failed to do so.

Last edited by Fazal; March 25, 2015 at 01:18 PM..
Old March 25, 2015, 01:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Agreed with the replacement fiasco. In fact, it couldnt have been worse than selecting Imrul, Shafiul like players who themselves know they are 4 years late to the party. But I thought Jubair was spotted by the selectors before even Haturasinghe came in as coach. Wasn't it?

I may be hit with bricks and tomatoes for saying this but the ascension of BD cricket a while back even before Haturasinghe become the national coach, with Siddons, Stuart Law, Shane J., Richard Mccinnes, Ross Turner, etc. all contributing here and there. H.S continued the trend ( and did not become a La Mohsin Kamal, Trevor Chappell). Hence, I would say, under him, we did very well in the W.Cups but don't think we did MIRACLES or . We did good as we reached the 2nd round before beating India (with all legends onboard) and also beat South Africa under Watmore. I personally think it was Heath Streak did the miracle with Rubel, Taskin all bowling unexpectedly well. Again H.S. is a very good coach and has all the support he needs. And maybe with his performance, he maybe granted an unoffical selector role, even if he isnt bankrolled as one.

I also think we will get a true measure of our progress with Pakistan series, where we will get to see how well the team performs in all three format and select any players outside the selected 15.
Old March 25, 2015, 01:23 PM
Cricket Sage

I believe Jubair was brought as a practice bowler. After watching him bowling against the national batsman, H.S. was so impressed that he wanted him in the team. They (selectors) didn't select Jubair in the 1st tour, but gave up on consistent request from H.S. and selected him in next series.

At least that's the version we got it in the news.

yes Heath Streak's contribution was clear and close to miracle.

The thing that I like about H.S. and disliked about Siddon, is he is not afraid to take risk with the young players. he looks like more innovative and risk taker. Now how much successful coach he will be... that yet to be determined... that I agree.
Old March 25, 2015, 01:44 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
By carrying an injury bhai. Chikna manush ra injury-proof na
If you fail the fitness test you are unfit. You don't have to be overweight or carry an injury to be unfit. Don't think Shafiul was injured otherwise he would not have been sent to Australia. He was most probably not in a condition to bowl 5+ overs on the trot not having played competitive cricket for a while and also coming back from injury.
Old March 25, 2015, 02:37 PM
Cricket Sage

Chickna potka manuser-o hapani hoi, you know that.
Old March 25, 2015, 02:54 PM
Cricket Guru

Hatharu must have also implied our openers with Jubair as well
Old March 25, 2015, 07:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

In a country where nobody has to response to whatever action they take no matter how geo-spatially critical the situation/condition is, Hathuri's demand went unanswered and internal politics trumped the honest necessity once again.

I remember how Pont went on about our administration when he had to leave.
Old March 25, 2015, 07:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

One thing I dislike is how he is publicly putting down the SLA's in the team. Yes we get it, you wanted your wonder boy. How about supporting the assets you have and extracting the best off them instead of humiliating them at every opportunity?

I will hold judgement on this guy for a while. I feel the WC success largely belongs to Streak and Mash. Let's see if Hathuri can actually develop our batsmen and spinners.
Old March 25, 2015, 07:48 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfaq
One thing I dislike is how he is publicly putting down the SLA's in the team. Yes we get it, you wanted your wonder boy. How about supporting the assets you have and extracting the best off them instead of humiliating them at every opportunity?

I will hold judgement on this guy for a while. I feel the WC success largely belongs to Streak and Mash. Let's see if Hathuri can actually develop our batsmen and spinners.
How is it more Streaks success than his? Its the team that scored above their average in most of the games. The bowlers didnt pull off any sort of miracle as far as I am concerned
Old March 25, 2015, 07:55 PM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz

Quote:

He tried to extract the best off them. Shakib delivered but we all saw how Taijul and Sunny performed. They were bad. Even Nasir, a part-timer, was better than those two. So he has every right to be pissed off because he didn't have any other option than SLA.
Old March 25, 2015, 07:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq
How is it more Streaks success than his? Its the team that scored above their average in most of the games. The bowlers didnt pull off any sort of miracle as far as I am concerned
In the years 2013-14, we have lost many matches after scoring a decent amount of runs. Yes, our Batsmen went through a slump right before the WC, but in batting friendly conditions, they are generally decent.

But I'm really impressed with the bowling and fielding. Certainly better than they did before.
Old March 25, 2015, 08:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight
He tried to extract the best off them. Shakib delivered but we all saw how Taijul and Sunny performed. They were bad. Even Nasir, a part-timer, was better than those two. So he has every right to be pissed off because he didn't have any other option than SLA.
He does have the right to be angry. But it's not Sunny or Taijul's fault that Jubair wasn't there.

Sinners generally struggled in the WC. It certainly is easier to perform when one have the backing of the coach and captain. I feel his (may be even justified) disgust at the selectors was taken out on the SLA's which certainly impacted them negatively.

Even if I'm wrong, it's stil not a professional thing to say "I didn't want XYZ on my team". It's just unprofessional. His job is to make the best of what he is given. He is paid a not so little amount of $$ for that too. So It's professional courtesy to not blab about this things to the media, specially in tones that can damage potentially the best spinners on the country. It's just bad business all around.
Old March 25, 2015, 08:07 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Quote:
In the years 2013-14, we have lost many matches after scoring a decent amount of runs. Yes, our Batsmen went through a slump right before the WC, but in batting friendly conditions, they are generally decent.

But I'm really impressed with the bowling and fielding. Certainly better than they did before.
as far as I am concerned, we lost more matches due to batting than bowling when he wasnt the coach. We failed to defend low scores against Sri Lanka, failed to chase a moderate total against Afghanistan, failed to score runs against Hong Kong, failed to score any sort of commanding total for the entire T20 WC. Failed to chase decent totals against India A when he joined. So for the most part, the batting failures were the leading reasons for the losses. In this WC, the only match which we could blame the batsmen for is the knockout match. Against Srilanka, it was a complete bowling and fielding failure.. against New Zealand, it was poor captaincy
Old March 25, 2015, 08:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq
as far as I am concerned, we lost more matches due to batting than bowling when he wasnt the coach. We failed to defend low scores against Sri Lanka, failed to chase a moderate total against Afghanistan, failed to score runs against Hong Kong, failed to score any sort of commanding total for the entire T20 WC. Failed to chase decent totals against India A when he joined. So for the most part, the batting failures were the leading reasons for the losses.
Hmm, that's true. But on either side of slumps, our batsmen had decent outings too. Eitherway, he didn't uncover any new batsman, didn't change any techniques of anyone. In general, he had very little impact on the batting. For example, our best batsmen in the WC were Mahmudullah and Mushy, who had been in an upward curve since last couple of years.

Let's agree to disagree. I'll hold of judgement of Hathurasinghe untill after the end of 2015. That's a long enough time for him to have some noticeable impact. But right now I'm struggling to muster any respect for him after his unprofessional comments. Nevertheless all the best to him.
Old March 25, 2015, 08:35 PM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz

Quote:
He does have the right to be angry. But it's not Sunny or Taijul's fault that Jubair wasn't there.

Sinners generally struggled in the WC. It certainly is easier to perform when one have the backing of the coach and captain. I feel his (may be even justified) disgust at the selectors was taken out on the SLA's which certainly impacted them negatively.

Even if I'm wrong, it's stil not a professional thing to say "I didn't want XYZ on my team". It's just unprofessional. His job is to make the best of what he is given. He is paid a not so little amount of $$ for that too. So It's professional courtesy to not blab about this things to the media, specially in tones that can damage potentially the best spinners on the country. It's just bad business all around.
He never said "I didn't want XYZ on my team". All he said was "I wanted Jubair" and "We didn't have many alternatives". From the very beginning all he complained about was not having a Legspinner but he never mentioned that he is unhappy that a certain player is on the team. That's the most professional you can be when you are expressing your disappointment at someone.

Ok so you are willing to give all the credit to Heath Streak for our fast bowler's performance but when it comes to putting the blame for SLAs underperforming, you put it on the coach instead of the spinning coach? Nevertheless, I'm sure Haturi is professional enough to not take out his anger on the players.
Old March 25, 2015, 10:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Interesting when our bowlers struggle, blame goes to Hathurusingha. But when our bowlers do well, all credit to Heath Streak. This is why they say its very difficult for a subcontinental coach. Because people will never be willing to give them the credit that is due.

I dont think at any point Hathurusingha has singled out any individual. All he said was it wasnt the best fifteen, and that he wanted a leg spinner. True Jubair is no Imran Tahir yet, but anyone who has watched him bowl will know he has this uncanny habit of picking wickets. Thats exactly what the coach wanted.

I think we have a very talented coaching team, not just Hathurusingha, but also Streak, Kalpage, Halsall, Mario Villavarayan. We might think Halsall is just a fielding coach, but he was Englands assistant coach and Andy Flowers number 2. All of them have worked with the team for a very short time. I bet in the next year or two we will see a lot more improvement. I bet they ll all openly admit a lot more work is to be done.