facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 13, 2019, 12:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot
BDFlag Safety tips for those here to watch WC

These are my tips for those who have come from other countries to the UK to watch the WC.

-Stay alert all the time and be aware of your surroundings
-Keep your possessions like wallets or mobile phones hidden and not in open view unless you are using them
-Don't give money to beggars and encourage them. Begging is illegal in the UK. The scarf wearing women are not Syrians, they are Romanians!
-You may come across street gambling games. Avoid them and walk past. These are organized by East Europeans to take your money or pickpocket you.
-Don't sit upstairs on the bus towards the back :This is where ganjakhors sit.
-Avoid trains during peak hours : 8AM-10AM & 5PM-7PM
-Avoid certain lines in London like the Central line or Jubilee line if you can
-If you hear the train driver activating the announcement : There are pickpockets operating on this train , he has seen something on the train's CCTV's.
-If you see a bunch of hooded young men coming your way, cross the road and continue towards your direction.
-Stay far away from drunks.
-Avoid getting into swearfests with people. Seriously, just ignore them and walk away.
-Be wary of who's standing behind you when you withdraw cash from cash machines. If someone is too close, politely ask them to move back. They are standing close to see your PIN!
If a cash machine looks like it has been tampered with, don't use it. There will most likely be crooks standing nearby with devices to read your card number and PIN.
If you insert your card and the cash machine is not behaving normally, if someone comes by and tries to be nice by saying bs like maybe it's your PIN, try again ... just walk away to another cash machine.
-There is a huge tax-dodging infrastructure here and many people will prefer cash only. So, always a good idea to have something like £50 of cash on you in smaller amounts.
-If anyone asks for the time, shrug your shoulders. While you are looking at your watch, an accomplice maybe pickpocketing you.
-If you get targeted, go to a bustling public place rather than a quiet place.
-In your hotel, lock your room. Recently, a few Emirati sisters were hammered in the head when a psycho entered the hotel unchallenged and went to their rooms.
-There are fake police officers about. A genuine police officer will have a badge with a steel engraved Elizabeth 2 coat of arms. They will also have shoulder 'pips' and the borough code e.g. CW
-This is unfortunately not Dhaka. If someone punches you or steals your bag, no one will come to your rescue even if you scream chor chor. No one will give gonodholai.
There are a large number of racist English folks. Don't assume by default everyone is welcoming to WC fans.
-Don't try to breakup fights. mediators often get stabbed!
-Look both ways before crossing the road even when the lights are red for cars. Many East Europeans drivers tend to ignore the lights and whizz through.
-Avoid South London unless necessary. African and Caribbean knived gangs operate there.

Last edited by Shingara; June 13, 2019 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: Change made

Old June 13, 2019, 12:32 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

^Goodness gracious me
Old June 13, 2019, 12:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

Lot of valid points made by Shingara.

(it's not that bad, but still worth remembering some of the safety tips).
Old June 13, 2019, 12:50 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Have a umbrella. It may rain anytime
Old June 13, 2019, 12:55 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Now I am scared to go there
Old June 13, 2019, 12:57 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingara
These are my tips for those who have come from other countries to the UK to watch the WC.

-Stay alert all the time and be aware of your surroundings
-Keep your possessions like wallets or mobile phones hidden and not in open view unless you are using them
-Don't give money to beggars and encourage them. Begging is illegal in the UK. The scarf wearing women are not Syrians, they are Romanians!
-You may come across street gambling games. Avoid them and walk past. These are organized by East Europeans to take your money or pickpocket you.
-Don't sit upstairs on the bus towards the back :This is where ganjakhors sit.
-Avoid trains during peak hours : 8AM-10AM & 5PM-7PM
-Avoid certain lines in London like the Central line or Jubilee line if you can
-If you hear the train driver activating the announcement : There are pickpockets operating on this train , he has seen something on the train's CCTV's.
-If you see a bunch of hooded young men coming your way, cross the road and continue towards your direction.
-Stay far away from drunks.
-Avoid getting into swearfests with people. Seriously, just ignore them and walk away.
-Be wary of who's standing behind you when you withdraw cash from cash machines. If someone is too close, politely ask them to move back. They are standing close to see your PIN!
If a cash machine looks like it has been tampered with, don't use it. There will most likely be crooks standing nearby with devices to read your card number and PIN.
If you insert your card and the cash machine is not behaving normally, if someone comes by and tries to be nice by saying bs like maybe it's your PIN, try again ... just walk away to another cash machine.
-There is a huge tax-dodging infrastructure here and many people will prefer cash only. So, always a good idea to have something like £50 of cash on you in smaller amounts.
-If anyone asks for the time, shrug your shoulders. While you are looking at your watch, an accomplice maybe pickpocketing you.
-If you get targeted, go to a bustling public place rather than a quiet place.
-In your hotel, lock your room. Recently, a few Emirati sisters were hammered in the head when a psycho entered the hotel unchallenged and went to their rooms.
-There are fake police officers about. A genuine police officer will have a badge with a steel engraved Elizabeth 2 coat of arms. They will also have shoulder 'pips' and the borough code e.g. CW
-This is unfortunately not Dhaka. If someone punches you or steals your bag, no one will come to your rescue even if you scream chor chor. No one will give gonodholai.
-There are a large number of racist English folks. Don't think that they will give you the welcoming embrace even if they learn you are a tourist.
-Don't try to breakup fights. mediators often get stabbed!
-Look both ways before crossing the road even when the lights are red for cars. Many East Europeans drivers tend to ignore the lights and whizz through.
-Avoid South London unless necessary. African and Caribbean knived gangs operate there.
Wd are doomed
Old June 13, 2019, 01:10 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Any Large old cities in States would be similar. NYC, LA, Chicago, Detroit etc. Cities like DFW, Houston, Miami, Hotlanta have specific places to avoid and the rest should be fine. The Gangs are ITalian or Hispanic mostly.
Old June 13, 2019, 01:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Shingara gives some decent advice. It seems like when Liam Nesson is saying how bad Europe is to travel to in Taken.

Certain parts of London are rough for sure but most of Central London are ok.

The issue with UK is that things close early. Sunday is the worst! So much to see and do in London but very little time.

In general in Europe there are touts and pick pockets so dont put your wallet or phone in the back pocket especially in tube stations.

But at the cricket grounds be veryyyy careful with your stuff. Also dont speak to anyone about your tickets and dont even think to buy in black like some poster was contemplating.

People are generally friendly but tou can tell by a person’s face if they are friendly or not.

And I never give money to anyone. I usually buy them food.

And another trick even by the Sylethis near Brick Lane and many con artists in Europe, they will give you salaam and the moment you reply , they say Brother I need money for bread and milk.

Some of those Romanians gypsies claim to be Muslims. If you want to help I would advise you to give food.

Also if you are going to claim back VAT, you will need to factor in a hour atleast at the airport.
Old June 13, 2019, 01:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by al-Sagar
Have a umbrella. It may rain anytime
I would rather keep a light hooded jacket. Normally in Central London we hardly have Bangladeshi non stop monsoon rain. Although the washed out games might say otherwise
Old June 13, 2019, 01:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Does not sound like a modern city, you cannot expect this much disarray even in worst areas of US
Old June 13, 2019, 01:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by al-Sagar
Wd are doomed
You of all surely are 😁
Old June 13, 2019, 01:20 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Does not sound like a modern city, you cannot expect this much disarray even in worst areas of US
I think most of London is alright. You just have to be street smart and vigilant like you would in any other European city
Old June 13, 2019, 01:51 PM
Cricket Guru

London is one of the largest tourist hotspots in Europe. If it wasnt safe we wouldn’t have so many tourists.

London isnt as grim as Shingara is making it out to be. He is jist saying in simple words be street smart and dont go off the beaten track
Old June 13, 2019, 01:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot

-Forgot about the moped gangs ... people in helmets who snatch your phone or tablet and speed off while they are on their mopeds.
Old June 13, 2019, 02:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

I remember Shingara mentioned in BC that his a community officer or something.

I can tell you, it's not as bad as his making it seem. But still good to keep in mind.

We have a lot of knife crime in UK, it has surged really badly recently.
Old June 13, 2019, 02:03 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Sounds like NYC
Old June 13, 2019, 02:12 PM
Cricket Sage

^That does not sound like NYC at all! At least I can roam around Queens or Manhattan at dead of the night without worrying about anything, have a meal at Steinway Moroccan Joint, go past walking Empire State, do some adda at Kalpana Chawla circle, enjoy halal chicken in Jamaica.
Old June 13, 2019, 02:16 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
Sounds like NYC
NYC of 70s to early 90s perhaps. Even Harlem is pretty safe these days. I would say 80% of NYC is very safe now, thanks to our NYPD and also high cost of living
Old June 13, 2019, 02:22 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
NYC of 70s to early 90s perhaps. Even Harlem is pretty safe these days. I would say 80% of NYC is very safe now, thanks to our NYPD and also high cost of living
The 20% I was hinting at. There will always be bad elements.

Every big city has its ugly side.

If I was going to the game, I'd be drunk afterwards, so Shingara would you avoid me?
Old June 13, 2019, 02:24 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
All credit to this man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudy_Giuliani
Old June 13, 2019, 02:41 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

London is one of the safest cities in the world. I have lived in different parts of London including South London. Never experienced a single racist incident.

Londoners are a bit introvert and won’t be talking to you at Public transport like buses or tubes. However, English people at spirting events particularly cricket and rugby are very friendly and love to talk about different aspects of the game.

You won’t be ever chased with a knife unless you go alone in some areas at night as London is very quiet at night at some areas. Things get very quiet in suburban areas just after 7 PM.

You might see 1-2 homeless people asking for money at stations, but they are never aggressive. Typically polite British ways to ask for money ie loose change in their words.

It’s a big city and there are touts and opportunists , and some east European pick pockets. However. You won’t find them at cricket venues. They mostly operate at busy central London station.

You can ask anything to a Police. They are the friendliest bunch. Never heard or seen fake police in my 15 years in London.
Old June 13, 2019, 03:02 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Roman, I would say about 90% of London is very safe even at night. About 95% of London is safe during the day. There might odd mugging here and there by addicts but that should be considered as the exception rather than norm.
Old June 13, 2019, 03:07 PM
Cricket Savant

Someone lives in Paranoid Sphere.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old June 13, 2019, 04:02 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Roman, I would say about 90% of London is very safe even at night. About 95% of London is safe during the day. There might odd mugging here and there by addicts but that should be considered as the exception rather than norm.
Good to know. I have visited London 3-4 times and never felt unsafe to be honest. Although I was with family members who live there. But overall I found London folks very nice and friendly. Some NYers are simply rude tbh
Old June 13, 2019, 04:28 PM
Cricket Guru

I go to alot of games at the Oval and I always see the same touts. Same at the Emirates. You have to keep your eyes and ears open.