facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 8, 2019, 02:13 PM
Cricket Savant

Default The art of batting out your opponent

Often a team's primary purpose seems to be an experiment to study game pattern and behavior. The best lambs to sacrifice are the upcoming ones that are rungs a few below down the totem pole.

Bangladesh is happily the guinea pig in this rather ghastly experiment. I mean after Bangladesh defeated India in World Cup, India came back with a vengeance to knock Bangladesh off kilter by Sehwag batting them out. Again, interim we saw how Australian Shane Watson in single handed manner devoured Bangladesh. Of course, today England gave a knock out blow to Bangladesh having been knocked out themselves to avoid the sinister 'hat-trick' omen.

Now why I mention Bangladesh all the time? See Bangladesh are the wild card. Although Sri Lanka may lapse here and there and so have Pakistan, but at the end of the day ultimately they are still the former champs. And having experienced laurels on podium, you face your underdogs which again happened to be Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. From Bangladesh perspective it always played a role of being a punching bag for the big bullies of the world.

David Miller encore and I am sure if I statsguru I will find more as a I rack my brain. But ultimately the key thing to realize is that among other such qualities as having the ability to defend low totals, the tenacity to take wickets with asymmetrical asking run rates when opponent requires 16 from 9 with 2 wickets in hand, or to fetch 10 from last 3, or for that matter in the science of going berserk at death... is the art of batting your opponent out - which is Bangladesh yet to master!

Even when Bangladesh played Afghanistan, Kenya in the heydeys or Zimbabwe and Ireland, they failed to stamp with utter authority and damning domination. That's the thumbprint of a world thumper and we as fledglings pup have yet to grow Wolverinesque claws to etch with our paw marks.

Again the match was won when England were cruising along around the highway of 150+ bleeding few if any. And being a newly reconditioned team packed with powerhouse hitters and the dervishes with the will to summon demons to go berserk...

...at will.

Do we have team players like that? Do we have the ilks of Pandye, Juvraj or Yusuf Pathan?

Reason why England are hot favorite is because they have not only the aforesaid, but in truckloads thanks to their competitive, ad nauseum T20 league.

International cricket is not only about staying in your comfort zone and shell. It's about taking risks and chances and play like you have never played before. It's the time to throw your textbook out of the window after cramming all night and write that essay like you have never written before.

Bangladesh doesn't have that brand. India does. As does England this year and hence they are the bedazzlers of this summer. Other teams all do and that is why we only get a chance when Bangladesh is at the receiving end.

Quote:
And taking calculated risks is suddenly not a luxury but de rigeur. Former can be sorted out by an expert tactician. The latter you can't. That's your soul. That's what you are born with. And that's what you need to express yourself, because after all, cricket is more than just a game but rather an expression and extension of yourself.
You stomp your authority. Period. Yes, it is good to have a rough blueprint and strategy, but you want to multiply the pressure when going along nicely which Andrew Symonds does. McCullum does. Finch does. As does Warner and Rohit. And Shamim Chowdhury fears.

Sure it doesn't always play off as after three consecutive sixes one of the English players paid price today. But that's the price you pay for risk. And I personally don't wanna die wonderin' if that attractive girl would've said yes.

Unless Bangladesh manages to imprint and stamp authoritative mark of being the dominant ones and not underdog-of-playing-it-safe they will still be down the hierarchy and not the "it" team to be talked about.

Bangladesh need to ramp up behemoth performances at consistent basis. The key phrase is at consistent basis. Sure South Africa is no fluke. Bangladesh is way past that. But, however, South Africa is also the weakest link this semester and Bangladesh are far from dazzling us with similar consistencies where 350 is the lowest common denominator.

Goal setting helps. Chunking your team total's target helps. And taking calculated risks is suddenly not a luxury but de rigeur. Former can be sorted out by an expert tactician. The latter you can't. That's your soul. That's what you are born with. And that's what you need to express yourself, because after all, cricket is more than just a game but rather an expression and extension of yourself.

Although these early losses don't dictate the end game, but it has given us glimpse of a team's self-image, perception of one's self-belief and confidence backed up by solid performances.

Unfortunately Bangladesh has yet to have mastered this aspect with a rap sheet of assaults that England and India possess at the moment. Bangladesh, although, a whiz kid is unfortunately not the genius who has cracked this game like Holzhauer.

Because at the end of the day, it's always the "it" team that wins the championship. And the guy who takes the first chance, leaves with the item girl.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles

Old June 8, 2019, 02:18 PM
Cricket Savant

Basically England and India are the alpha dawgs this year. And the tone is always set by the alphas and Conor McGreggors of the world. And Bangladesh is like frikkin Manny Pacquaoi.

Old June 8, 2019, 02:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Basically England and India are the alpha dawgs this year. And the tone is always set by the alphas and Conor McGreggors of the world. And Bangladesh is like frikkin Manny Pacquaoi.
Haha, I know you are joking, but as a follower of combat sports:

Wwwhat? Manny is not alpha dawg? And Conor is?

No one takes Conor seriously, a fleeting sideshow is not an alpha. All bark no bite.

Everyone on the other hand knows what a battle hardened time tested legend Manny "The Pacman" Pacquiao is.
Old June 8, 2019, 02:25 PM
Cricket Savant

Yeah I was kidding. Bangladesh should pray 8 times a day if they can get near Pacquioia's caliber. I just don't like him. McGregor on the other hand is a modern day Ali.

Old June 8, 2019, 02:36 PM
Test Cricketer

The problem has been our bowling. Mustafiz isnt bowling like he used to. Its not like we have produced a bumrah or aamir. Look at Nuwan Pradeep, we dont have someone even of that calibre. Mehidy is good but we dont have a wrist spinner. Our bowling is the worst in this tournament. Afgan’s fast bowlers are miles ahead. I would hv preferred someone like Nabi over miraz.

We had a good bowling attack in 2007. With Mash, syed rasel, rofique, razzak and shakib. Solid 50 overs.
Old June 8, 2019, 02:46 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_o_mati
The problem has been our bowling. Mustafiz isnt bowling like he used to. Its not like we have produced a bumrah or aamir. Look at Nuwan Pradeep, we dont have someone even of that calibre. Mehidy is good but we dont have a wrist spinner. Our bowling is the worst in this tournament. Afgan’s fast bowlers are miles ahead. I would hv preferred someone like Nabi over miraz.

We had a good bowling attack in 2007. With Mash, syed rasel, rofique, razzak and shakib. Solid 50 overs.
Good bowling units will take a beating this world cup. You have to be ready to score and chase 350 plus in modern times. Don't just blame the bowlers.

Look at what England did post 2015 World Cup.

Look at the difference in the lineup. Is it the batting or the bowling?

Even their bowling fail, they still believe they can chase down anything.
Old June 8, 2019, 02:49 PM
Cricket Savant

Having the mindset to come down to bat to score 280 winning toss and defend it may have done wonders for the likes of Zimbabwe, South Africa at Mirpur and New Zealand, but such mediocre expectations and average dreams ain't exactly gon' cut it in world arena. You play simply as far as your vision. Bangladesh can't exceed their self-image. And so far we are a team to be happy to settle for 280s and 290s. We are talking WORLD cup here. This is where you exhibit your best work with the best of the best. England have been training 8 years for this. Jezus Christ damn man.

Everyone talks of Sri Lanka. Oh Oh Sri Lanka. But Sri Lanka in 96 doesn't magically arrive there. They already set the tone far ahead in Sharjah with the likes of Kaluwitrana and Gurusinhe as household names after destructive batting.

Defending 240 at Mirpur may be our signature but we surely possess nowhere near the brand of these teams where WE take the initiative and dictate terms on board.

Old June 8, 2019, 02:52 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_o_mati

That's same as sayin' going to the grand prix: "Problem is our radiator isn't firing." So why did you come to play? For participation awards?

(Just had to clarify, not you as in "you". lol)

Old June 8, 2019, 02:53 PM
Test Cricketer

^^ exactly
Old June 8, 2019, 02:54 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

In other words Mashrafe should've decided to bat first.
Old June 8, 2019, 02:56 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Good bowling units will take a beating this world cup. You have to be ready to score and chase 350 plus in modern times. Don't just blame the bowlers.

Look at what England did post 2015 World Cup.

Look at the difference in the lineup. Is it the batting or the bowling?

Even their bowling fail, they still believe they can chase down anything.
What England did was look at Jason Roy before South Africa could and Jofra Archer before West Indies could. Have I missed anyone else?
Old June 8, 2019, 03:09 PM
Cricket Savant

Now that I have taken out my emotional component and bias out of this match, it was an absolute fabulous display of batting performance!

What a delight and joy to watch a team show how to set a platform and fly. I mean I shudder to think it can be considered par!! It'd be interesting to see if Rahul and Kohli could chase it should it have been India or a worthy opponent for a blockbuster match. (But in fairness, the recent NZ come back was the real miracle... except didn't end well.)

Old June 8, 2019, 03:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DilzLFC
What England did was look at Jason Roy before South Africa could and Jofra Archer before West Indies could. Have I missed anyone else?
Exactly this.
Old June 11, 2019, 09:44 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Now that I have taken out my emotional component and bias out of this match, it was an absolute fabulous display of batting performance!

What a delight and joy to watch a team show how to set a platform and fly. I mean I shudder to think it can be considered par!! It'd be interesting to see if Rahul and Kohli could chase it should it have been India or a worthy opponent for a blockbuster match. (But in fairness, the recent NZ come back was the real miracle... except didn't end well.)
Just brutal hitting, thank God Ramadan was over or would not be able to handle such pounding while fasting
Old June 11, 2019, 10:01 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
... I just don't like him. McGregor on the other hand is a modern day Ali.
Astagfirullah. Taoba kato. jom jom'er pani diye kuli koirey gila felba 3 bar.
Old June 11, 2019, 10:05 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DilzLFC
In other words Mashrafe should've decided to bat first.
Bingo. B - I - N - G - O.

We beat SA batting first.
Pak beat Eng batting first.
We win the toss and bat second against England? Chasing has an extra pressure when the total is decent. You give away the initial advantage to Archer but reap the benefit later. Only when weather is dicey you want to bat second to know the target or revised target.
Old June 11, 2019, 10:19 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: where do i start from?

Brits should be banned from playing cricket cause they steal players of other teams..
eoin Morgan could have made a difference in Ireland team
So could blaarcher for wi.

These English thieves are worse than the kangaroos.
Old June 11, 2019, 11:36 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightman
Brits should be banned from playing cricket cause they steal players of other teams..
eoin Morgan could have made a difference in Ireland team
So could blaarcher for wi.

These English thieves are worse than the kangaroos.
Bd lost to rest of the world.

Archer - Barbados
Moeen Ali - Ind
Adil Rashid - Pak
Ben Stokes - New Zealand
Roy - South Africa
Tom Curran South Africa
5 Englishmen
Old June 17, 2019, 12:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

The Art of Chasing Out Your Opponent.

Brought to you by Litty Da Lightning Das and Shakib Al Jordan.
Old June 17, 2019, 12:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

All you need is a little ice flowing in your vein