facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 18, 2004, 09:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Mark Richardson-Tigers provide launching pad

BBC
Thought it would be better to post the whole piece by the NZ opener.

For a great example of how much of a leveller this game of cricket can be, observe my recent fortunes.

A hundred at Lord's and a ton of runs against the likes of Harmison, Hoggard, Flintoff and Giles recently gave my confidence a huge boost.

I then turn up in Bangladesh to be dismissed twice in seven balls for two and nought by a young Bangladeshi on the flattest wicket ever.

Apart from my mind-bending experience, our warm-up game against a Bangladesh Board Xl was a good workout.

All our batters (except me) got some time in the middle and our bowlers got some overs under the belt in quite stifling heat and humidity.

There is an interesting feeling about our team at the moment.

Yes, we are playing Bangladesh, and yes we expect to win, but there is a real feeling of uneasiness in our camp.

Our 3-0 Test series defeat to England and then an early departure from the ICC Champions Trophy has left our boys frustrated with the game.

We feel our steep slide in the Test rankings could so easily have been avoided.

A lot of our losses have come after getting ourselves into winning positions but failing to show enough mental resolve to finish the job off.

There is real concern about how tough the Bangladeshis could be in their own backyard

Before we left for Bangladesh there were some hard questions asked and some home truths brought to bare. We do not believe we have been backing up our words with performance.

Great cricketers and great cricket teams identify what is required in a given situation and then do it.

In England, we were unable to execute our gameplans. In this series we want to walk the walk. We are viewing this series as a launching pad for our resurgence in the Test rankings.

We know that comprehensive victories are the only acceptable result. Our press and public are beginning to lose a little patience and we are feeling that pressure a little.

The good news for us is that we are a team that performs best when uncomfortable.

The apprehension in the camp is a good sign and should help us to stay focused and ruthless over here.

An injury to Micheal Papps has allowed Mathew Sinclair to be rewarded for a great A tour of South Africa with a place at the top of the order.

I feel the Bangladesh challenge will suit him down to the ground.

'Sinkers' eats average-to-good bowling on flat wickets for breakfast and I expect him in this series to anchor himself at the crease like some large Spanish Galleon and blast the hell out of the Bangladeshi attack.

Our other relative newcomer is Hamish Marshall.

Hamish has been rewarded for his performances in the one-day form of the game with a Test spot.

He has played A cricket on the subcontinent on numerous occasions and scored heavily.

His game is suited to these conditions and expect him to grab his opportunity with both hands.

Edited on, October 18, 2004, 2:33 PM GMT, by oracle.

Old October 18, 2004, 09:49 AM
Retired BC Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by oracle
'Sinkers' eats average-to-good bowling on flat wickets for breakfast ..
Hahaha, he will find out soon enough that the Bangladeshis do not settle for anything less than a plate full for lunch.
Old October 18, 2004, 09:57 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

"We know that comprehensive victories are the only acceptable result..."

And probably this is wht shud be BD's target in coming series... not to giv NZ those 'comprehensive victories'.. rather make them work real hard for the wins!!

Go Tigers!

Old October 18, 2004, 10:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Good article. like crickethorizon said we need to have to them work hard to get their win.

Go BD Go Tigers

Old October 19, 2004, 04:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Yes a good article. But i would listen to what a player from the opposition writes. We have to make them work hard like crickethorizon said.