facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 29, 2003, 01:19 PM
Street Cricketer

Default Lloyd has plan to lift Bangladesh cricket

Lloyd has plan to lift Bangladesh cricket

Faisal Shariff | April 29, 2003 22:11 IST

Former West Indies great and ICC match referee Clive Lloyd has made a novel suggestion to improve Bangladesh cricket.

At a function in Mumbai, to launch the Wisden International Awards, Lloyd took the opportunity to suggest that two overseas cricketers should be included in the Bangladesh team to help improve its standing in world cricket.

Admitting that gifting Test status to Bangladesh was a mistake, he said this would be one way of rectifying the bungle and helping the nation catch up with the other Test-playing countries.

Lloyd, who was Wisden 'Cricketer of the Year' in 1971 for his performances for Lancashire, where he scored 1600 runs at an average of 47, is probably talking from experience, as he led a very young, inexperienced Lancashire side and moulded it into a winning combination. His 126 against Warwickshire at Lord's helped Lancashire lift the Gillette Cup in 1972.

He said he discussed the idea with the ICC and thought it could help other teams besides Bangladesh and Kenya in the long term ICC program of globalising the sport.

"We need to make sure that when these teams play Test cricket they are competitive and the Test lasts the full distance."

Former BCCI president Raj Singh Dungarpur, who was present at the function, criticised the ICC for granting Test status merely on the basis of infrastructure rather than talent. He added that the best coaches have failed to improve the standards of the Bangladeshi team and the ICC needs to think about relegating teams as much as granting them Test status.

Lloyd admitted the ICC's gaffe but steered clear of the relegation proposal, saying it is the ICC's prerogative.

He suggested that Bangladesh should be asked to participate in domestic tournaments around the world to work on technique.

"The Bangladesh team should play in the Ranji Trophy in India, for starters. It would be an ideal preparation," he said.

He also seconded a suggestion that Bangladesh and Kenya should play the 'A' teams of the other Test-playing nations and only if they win more than 75 per cent of the games should they be allowed to play a Test match or series.

"A mistake has been made and it is time now to rectify it by accepting Bangladesh into the fold and helping them become competitive," he said.

Lloyd defended the West Indies' performance in the current Test series against Australia and said even though they might be white-washed they will get back.

"After we were washed out 5-0 by South Africa in 1999, we came back and had world champions Australia 2-2 in the Test series that followed.

"We have a good batting outfit. We only need to hunt for fast bowlers who have just gone dry in the West Indies. Once we get the right combination we will be a force to reckon with in the next World Cup in the Caribbean islands," he added.

************************/cricket/2003/apr/29lloyd.htm

[Edited on 29-4-2003 by slayer]
Old April 29, 2003, 02:15 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Even the idea of winning a match with two foreigners in the team makes me feel disgusted.

No Way. I would rather be happy playing the ICC with all BD players. At least that will give me joy. This will only give me guilt and shame.
Old April 29, 2003, 07:06 PM
Cricket Legend

I absolutely agree. What the hell? The foreign batsman is going to score a hundred, and the foreign bowler will take the wickets and we are supposed to be happy about that? I would rather lose with Bangladeshis than win with foreigners. I don't think having two foreign players in the team is going to improve the standard of our cricket.
Old April 29, 2003, 07:36 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

I agree with you guyz. There is no poin of including foreign players. We are not UAE.
Old April 29, 2003, 09:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Reminds me of Lebanon which granted citizenship to Brazilians so they could play in their football team for asia cup 2000. The plan didnt work though
Old April 29, 2003, 10:21 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default And be disappointed like Zimbabwean fans are? No, thanks.

The most recent foreign player inclusion in a test team is in the case of Zimbabwe.

I think even though Neil Johnson and Murray Goodwin are Zimbabwe-borm, but still they are foreigners to Zimbabwe, for which Zimbabwe could win test matches as well as one day matches on a regular basis.

But now look at them - they lose to Kenya! And that - even after they had advanced to the Super Sixes stage!

I would like to be disappointed for a few more years with our own home-grown players first before taking on such suicidal missions.
Old April 29, 2003, 10:35 PM
First BC Member

Default 1 point - where the report is wrong

I think there is one point in this report where it is wrongly informing. And that is, we did not get the 'BEST COACH' - as stated by BCCI president Raj Singh Dungapur.

What we did get - is probably 'A GOOD FAST BOWLING COACH' i.e., Mohsin Kamal as well as 'A GOOD FIELDING COACH' i.e., Trevor Chappell.

Initially may be we had one of the best coaches suitable for us - 'EDDIE BARLOW', under whom our team did improve. But in the end it turned out that he was too old for being a national team's coach on long term.

Old April 29, 2003, 11:02 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿
Default Best coach

I know that Fahmida already got to it but I would really love to know who these best coaches were and how come no one in Bangladesh and obviously the Bangladesh team didn't know about them.

What is the criteria to be a best coach ? Being a coach for the son of the PCB chairman (Mohsin Kamal) or a fielding coach of the Lanka side (Trevor).... I'll take our Sarwar Imran over these two under qualified individuals any day.
Old April 29, 2003, 11:34 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib Al-hassan
Default Give me a break !

These bunch of jokers are giving advice to include foreigners in our team ! NO WAY JOSE ! It's our own mistakes not giving the best management to run the most promising game in BD. Anyway, it's a long story and most of us know the fact.

I 'm angered at the audacity of two foreign clowns showing the suicidal path . Look at the way, Clive is defending his own team !

I 'm still hopeful of my team. People ( BD management) running the show should realize the importance of guiding the team in the right direction. With the recent activity ( hiring Whatmore and other development ), we should expect a u-turn the near future. Sports ministry should immediately resolve the long standing tussle between sports body and BCB on the ownership of Mirpur National Stadium.
Old April 30, 2003, 01:33 AM
First BC Member

Hiring Dave Whatmore also added 'firing Sarwar Imran'. So, the management is not on the right track yet.

According to papers, Mirpur stadium will still need a couple of years time to be a cricket stadium.

Old April 30, 2003, 02:35 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Hiring Dave Whatmore also added 'firing Sarwar Imran'. So, the management is not on the right track yet.
fahmida do you mean they are firing sarwar? or is it firing him up?? I am all confused!!!

BTW welcome slayer
Old April 30, 2003, 02:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Actually,

BCB is not firing Sarwar Imran. They are keeping him as an assistant coach. He will be asked to help out the bowlers in particular. I think it was a good decision by the BCB to keep Imran involved with the national team.
Old April 30, 2003, 06:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Default All in all, not a bad try by Clive Lloyd

At least he tried to make a constructive suggestion, unlike some fellows at Cricinfo or Wisden, etc.
Old April 30, 2003, 08:37 AM
First BC Member

Default Firing means giving Sarwar another job

Imran Sarwar is going to be the coach of the Development squad. And he will be looking after the fast bowlers who get injured.

So it is kinda like firing him from the national coach's duty - that is what he is doing right now.

Sham, where did you read it that Sarwar is going to be kept as an assitant coach? I didn't get any info of that kind from anywhere.
Old April 30, 2003, 12:16 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

thanks fahmida!

though I should say for the first time I feel as though BCB is trying something. They seem to be more transparent and accountable these days...or may be because they are so much under the public eye!!! Anyways for the first time we are actually reading about what the coach and team are actually doing to remedy the situation. I don't remember any public discussion of their training in the nets n' stuff. Hopefully this professionalism (if this indeed professionalism) will stick!
Old April 30, 2003, 12:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Fahmida,

Sarwar Imran is not going to be the coach of the Development Squad. He is going to be the assistant coach of the national squad and will work under Whatmore. We are actually going to get a foreign coach from the ICC for the Development Squad. This was announced by the BCB at the press conference on the 21st of April. To read the report on Daily Star, click here.