facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports > FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive)

FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive) Biggest sporting event in the world. This is time for the sky high excitement.

View Poll Results: Select the Player who you think should get the Golden Ball Best Player Award
Thierry Henry (France) 2 7.14%
Patrick Vieira (France) 0 0%
Zinedine Zidane (France) 16 57.14%
Gianluigi Buffon (Italy) 3 10.71%
Fabio Cannavaro (Italy) 2 7.14%
Gianluca Zambrotta (Italy) 1 3.57%
Andrea Pirlo (Italy) 1 3.57%
Michael Ballack (Germany) 1 3.57%
Miroslav Klose (Germany) 2 7.14%
Maniche (Portugal) 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 6, 2006, 08:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Default FIFA Announced Golden Ball Best Player Award Shortlist: Vote Now !!

FIFA announced the ten candidates for the 2006 adidas Golden Ball, the prestigious award for the tournament’s outstanding player.

The shortlist was prepared by the FIFA Technical Study Group (TSG).
Only players who reached the semi-final stage was considered eligible for the selection.

The 10-candidate shortlist is comprised of 3 Frenchmen, 2 Germans, 4 Italians and 1 Portuguese. The Final List is as follows:
  • Thierry Henry (France)
  • Patrick Vieira (France)
  • Zinedine Zidane (France)
  • Gianluigi Buffon (Italy)
  • Fabio Cannavaro (Italy)
  • Gianluca Zambrotta (Italy)
  • Andrea Pirlo (Italy)
  • Michael Ballack (Germany)
  • Miroslav Klose (Germany)
  • Maniche (Portugal)
Representatives of the media will now vote to elect the player to receive FIFA 2006 Golden Ball outstanding player award.

Let's the media representative do their job; meanwhile let's do our own voting.
Select the player who you think should get the Golden Ball.

Old July 6, 2006, 08:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Where is the poll? I want to vote for Zidane.
Old July 6, 2006, 08:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
Where is the poll? I want to vote for Zidane.
It's now posted
Old July 6, 2006, 08:55 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I would have voted for Jose +10 but he is not in the list.

Among the list its a toss up between Miroslav Klose (Germany) or thierry henry (France).

For the best goal, it has to be the Argentine goal, receiving on the chest and a left footer before the ball touched the ground, far post bending (banana) shot..... Gooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal.
Old July 6, 2006, 09:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats_eye
I would have voted for Jose +10 but he is not in the list.

Among the list its a toss up between Miroslav Klose (Germany) or thierry henry (France).

For the best goal, it has to be the Argentine goal, receiving on the chest and a left footer before the ball touched the ground, far post bending (banana) shot..... Gooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal.
I was surprised actually that Henri is in the list. He did nothing but tap a simple ball in Brazilian net. He is like Rivaldo, Del Piaro - style of their club suited them more. For me it was between Zidane and Viera. The third best french player is Ribery not Henry to me.

I think you are refering the mexico goal. That was awsome. but to me the first goal of this tournament is the best individual goal
Old July 6, 2006, 09:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Short Profile of the 2006 FIFA World Cup Adidas Golden Ball Candidates

Thierry Henry (France):
France provides a trio of aspirants, led by their lithe, graceful and lightning-quick striker, Thierry Henry. There had been question marks about the Arsenal captain’s performances for Les Bleus leading into the tournament, but Henry has answered his critics emphatically with a series of excellent and often-selfless performances in the lone striker role, performances that have thus far yielded three precious goals.

Patrick Vieira (France):
Also in contention from Raymond Domenech’s camp is the powerful Patrick Vieira, another player who has emerged from a hail of criticism to prove that, at his best, there are few midfielders in the world capable of dominating and dictating a game so expertly.

Zinedine Zidane (France):
The last but certainly not the least of the French candidates is Zinedine Zidane. Already a legend in his own time, this most elegant of footballers continues to amaze with his near-balletic brilliance, and there can have been few individual performances at Germany 2006 to match that produced by the 34-year-old in France’s quarter-final win over Brazil.

Gianluigi Buffon (Italy):
There will be no great surprise, certainly, at the sight of Gianluigi Buffon’s name in there, and the Juventus goalkeeper will hope that his agile, commanding and reliably inspirational performances for the Azzurri have been sufficient to see him follow in the footsteps of 2002 winner Kahn.

Fabio Cannavaro (Italy):
Italy’s captain, Fabio Cannavaro has, however, been just as important in establishing Italy’s remarkably frugal defensive record – just one goal conceded, and an own goal at that – and the 32-year-old’s faultless marshalling of the Italian rearguard is sure to make him a strong contender.

Andrea Pirlo (Italy):
The composed, creative midfield play of Andrea Pirlo has also been recognised, with the AC Milan playmaker shortlisted for his telling contribution to Italy’s attacking play from a deep-lying position.

Gianluca Zambrotta (Italy):
Another player who has contributed to the Azzurri cause both defensively and offensively is Gianluca Zambrotta, a dynamic overlapping full-back who has popped up on both the right and left flanks to score and create goals in vital matches.

Michael Ballack (Germany):
Michael Ballack, the captain and a player whose workrate and driving influence in midfield earned him the apt tag of Germany’s lokomotive by coach Jurgen Klinsmann.

Miroslav Klose (Germany):
Joining Ballack in the reckoning is the man currently leading the race for another of the FIFA World Cup’s most illustrious honours, the adidas Golden Shoe. By anyone’s standards, Miroslav Klose has enjoyed a vintage tournament, with his strength, courage, eye for goal and link-up work with strike partner Lukas Podolski among the most impressive aspects of Germany’s play.

Maniche (Portugal):
This player can lay claim to having scored a couple of the tournament’s most spectacular goals against Mexico and the Netherlands. Maniche’s contribution has extended far beyond those eye-catching strikes, however, with his biting tackles and forceful running in the midfield engine room a key factor in Luiz Felipe Scolari’s team's march to the semi-finals.

Source: FIFA
Old July 6, 2006, 09:10 AM
Cricket Legend

I think it's unfare to exclude players who did not get chance to play in the semi-final.
Several players from Spain, Brazil and Argentina deserved to be on the list.
Old July 6, 2006, 09:10 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Italy conceded only one goal and it was a own goal. so cannavaro and buffon did extremely well
Old July 6, 2006, 09:58 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
I was surprised actually that Henri is in the list. He did nothing but tap a simple ball in Brazilian net. ...
Yes, but, think of it this way. Take out the player who you think is the best and can the team advance without him? Without Henry, Korea could have played against Italy in the finals. Most of the 1st round matches, Zidane was a no show, got regular yellow cards.
Old July 6, 2006, 10:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Those who know anything about football will not vote for Henry or Klose

It should be probably Cannavaro or maybe Pirlo
Old July 6, 2006, 11:55 AM
Cricket Legend

BBC Sports Website allows their visitors to rate players during the match.
To have an idea on how other people think of the player's performance for the whole tournament, I colledcted the match rating the Golden Ball candidates received on match by match basis.

Visitors gave their Rating based on the following scale:
10: Pure Perfection
09: Outstanding
08: Very Good
07: Good
06: Average
05: Off Color
04: Poor
03: Woeful
02: Embarrassingly Bad
01: Give up the Game

The match-by-match rating of the player's performance are as follows:
Players
Group
Match- 1
Group
Match- 2
Group
Match- 3
Second Round
Quarter Final
Semi
Final
Average
Patrick Vieira (France)
Zinedine Zidane (France)
-
Gianluigi Buffon (Italy)
Fabio Cannavaro (Italy)
Gianluca Zambrotta (Italy)
-
Andrea Pirlo (Italy)
Michael Ballack (Germany)
-
Miroslav Klose (Germany)
Maniche (Portugal)

Germany's Miroslav Klose is leading the table with average 8.05 point. He is followed by Italy's Fabio Cannavaro (7.85) and Germany's Michael Ballack (7.77). Our current poll leader France's Zinedine Zidane is in the 5th position with average 7.62 point.

Among these 10 candidates, lowest match score was received by France's Patrick Vieira (4.49) in their group match against Switzerland. Zinedine Zidane received the highest match score (9.72) for his performance against Brazil in Quarter Final.
Old July 6, 2006, 01:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
Those who know anything about football will not vote for Henry or Klose

It should be probably Cannavaro or maybe Pirlo
You are absolutely correct. That's why in BBC's visiting fans know nothing. Otherwise how come in their player performance rating Klose is leading by .2 ? Can in one match Fabio close that gap? I doubt it.
Old July 6, 2006, 08:51 PM
Cricket Legend

East or west Zidane is the best.Go Zizu Go!

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old July 6, 2006, 11:40 PM
First Class Cricketer

No Brazillian there.
So, Zidane !!
Old July 7, 2006, 12:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats_eye
You are absolutely correct. That's why in BBC's visiting fans know nothing. Otherwise how come in their player performance rating Klose is leading by .2 ? Can in one match Fabio close that gap? I doubt it.
BBC fans are a very fickle lot. Often their ratings are based on emotion (i can see that some people here would vote 10/10 everytime a Brazilian player played )

Klose scored 5 goals against mediocre opposition. Cannavaro on the other hand shut down Shevchenko, Klose, the Aussies, The strong Ghana attack and also the Czech republic. He has played with 3 or 4 partners but has always shone .

General tendency is to rush and vote 10 for Klose when you see him score twice. However, the same people will think twice before voting even 8 or 9 for a defender no matter how well he played.

I am pretty sure it will be Cannavaro who wins the FIFA award unless Zidane or Henry put in an exceptional eprformance in the final.
Old July 7, 2006, 01:13 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

i think Buffon should get it this yr... or Cannavaro..
this two guys bn simply awsum for Italy and shown thier worth...
Buffon, by far, the best goalie in the worldcup and certainly worths the 68 million euro that being paid for his transfer fee ( club team)

Cannavaro has been a monumental pillar not only for Italian Defense, but also has on a number of occasions came out in front and created chances for goals. Just look at the 2nd goal against Germany.

Italy has really surprised me with their attacking football this wc, and i believe one of thier players should get it. Even Pirlo has been outstanding.

on the other hand, Zidane played really good. but its been only a flash of brilliance or two from him so far in this wc, and that should not be a measuring stick for the golden watever... remember, he played crap at first two games, and the third one, he was on the bench. So it leaves him with only 1 match against Brazil where he played good. even against Portugal, he was just a regular player....

Fifa should give it to someone with consistent performance...
not to a big name...
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old July 7, 2006, 06:06 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

You've gotta give it to Zidane. What a way it would be to end a legendary career by winning the World Cup and the Golden Ball (well, I hope he does).
Old July 7, 2006, 07:01 AM
First Class Cricketer

I think Zizou is Going to have the best retirement if France win the Wc and then he receive the Golden boot.....I think we can now put Zizoualong side all time greats as Pele,Maradona,Johan Cruff and "Kaiser"
Old July 7, 2006, 10:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Cannavaro has been outstanding throughout the tourney, remember Italy's opponents didnt score a single goal so far (only 1 own goal against them) so that gives a better view on Cannavaro. He has been orgainising the Italian defense from the beginning along with his presistant defending. He is truly the worlds no.1 defender at the moment. The final game will surely differentiate zizou & cannavaro
________
Herbalaire vaporizers

Last edited by ialbd; February 20, 2011 at 12:04 AM..
Old July 7, 2006, 11:28 AM
Cricket Savant

Not conceding any goals is a great achievement. Defense would get most of the credit. However, this can not be done without a solid goal keeper. He is the final line of defense. Rather than Fabio then BUFFON Gianluigi (GK) should get the award if they win the tournament.
Old July 8, 2006, 06:51 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ricky Ponting

Either Buffon or Cannavaro for me.

I wasn't able to watch Zidane's last two performances.
Old July 9, 2006, 04:53 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tendulkar

Gianluigi Buffon for me.
Old July 10, 2006, 01:04 AM
ODI Cricketer

Buffon is now surely the winner after his save from Zidane's head .
Old July 10, 2006, 05:23 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Whatever happened. Zidane is still a great footballer and is best in his generation.

He has finally won the Golden Ball of 2006 World Cup.

The legendary Zinedin Zidane

Old July 10, 2006, 06:06 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Well, I don't think he deserved it after doing what he did, but well done to him I suppose.