facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old July 23, 2008, 11:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara
Default Other Tennis Masters and news

So instead of opening a new thread everytime something significant happens in the tennis world, I guess we can post here. Well its really upto you guys though. Anyway heres whats up in Toronto.

Roddick, Nadal, Djokovich all through to the third round in Toronto. But guess what, Roger Federer gone. Beat by some french dude. 6-2,5-7,4-6. Really whats up with Roger.
I was thinking I could watch him play Roddick at some stage. He was the favorite to win the Rogers cup but i guess not his year.

So Roddick will manage to lose early again in the Rogers cup and Nadal and Djokovich will play in the final. My predictions.
Old July 24, 2008, 08:57 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Come on Roddick this is your chance. This is in hard court, right?
Old July 24, 2008, 12:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Ya its hard court. Well guess what hes down a break in the first set. 2-1 against Cilic. But has a chance to break back now. He breaks back. 2-2
Old July 24, 2008, 12:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Giles Simon has been consistently playing some good tennis...But still Rojer shud have really won that match...He was twice a break up on the final set...Anyways....Roddick shud come through Cilic....right now 3-2 and back on serve...Im waiting for Blake v Tursunov tonite.....LETS GO BLAKE!..btw any of u read his book?
Old July 24, 2008, 12:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Cilic broke Roddick again.
Old July 24, 2008, 12:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Roddick lost the first set. 6-4.
Old July 24, 2008, 12:55 PM
Cricket Legend

He's down again. Cilic broke him again.
Old July 24, 2008, 01:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Commentators dont really like Roddick. I noticed this in other tournaments as well.

Anyway, he gonna lose this match. So Really how is he a top ten player when he constantly loses in the early rounds. Learn a new trick man. I love his serve but really learn a new trick.
He's really frustrated. He yelled out "I suck so bad" and crowd responded "No you dont, you're just frustrated"

Another break point for Cilic.
Old July 24, 2008, 01:35 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Is this the end of "Roger domination" era of tennis? What about Tiger Woods, would he be back to his best after his knee surgery?
Old July 24, 2008, 02:36 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishtylish cricketer
Is this the end of "Roger domination" era of tennis? What about Tiger Woods, would he be back to his best after his knee surgery?
Both will be back. Tiger will get his 18 and some, Roger will get his 12 and some. Tiger has age on his side. Roger does not. That's the difference.

Doctor's say Tiger will be able to hit shots in similar fashion with out any pain. His come back time is more dependant on the rehab. Jack was lucky not to be seriously injured in his career.
Old July 24, 2008, 08:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Both will be back. Tiger will get his 18 and some, Roger will get his 12 and some. Tiger has age on his side. Roger does not. That's the difference.

Doctor's say Tiger will be able to hit shots in similar fashion with out any pain. His come back time is more dependant on the rehab. Jack was lucky not to be seriously injured in his career.
Tiger Woods doesn't play a athletically taxing sport, so the comparison with Federer or any other tennis champion is misplaced.

As far as achievements, one major in tennis is worth probably two in Golf, when one considers average career span and the comparative achievements of the greatest players in each sport (well, golf isn't a sport), eg, Sampras (14 in 15 years) and Nicklaus (18 in 25 years).
Old July 25, 2008, 09:02 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
Tiger Woods doesn't play a athletically taxing sport, so the comparison with Federer or any other tennis champion is misplaced.

As far as achievements, one major in tennis is worth probably two in Golf, when one considers average career span and the comparative achievements of the greatest players in each sport (well, golf isn't a sport), eg, Sampras (14 in 15 years) and Nicklaus (18 in 25 years).
Get a life Arnab. Don't talk that you have no knowledge about. Jack was an exception. Go find out who is second not including Tiger. It is thousand time harder to win two/three tournaments back to back in golf. Not talking about majors even. Even for Sampras - Jack comparison, winning 14 in 15 years and 18 in 25+ years which one is harder?

There was a question asked about Tiger in Tennis thread. I answered.

Tennis has less career time for being in the peek. Physical fitness matters to compete with the younger faster players. However, on a person's peek, one can dominate the circuit. In golf, no one can dominate (except Tiger). There is no arrogance in Golf. You not only play against players but you also play against the course and weather. The unpredictability makes the game so much harder than any sports. Go talk to your Cricket gurus. They will tell you which one is harder Golf or Cricket.

Anyone can hit a ball in Tennis for the first time picking up racket. Not that easy in golf. Try it, you may come to LOVE the game.
Old July 27, 2008, 04:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Jack was an exception. Go find out who is second not including Tiger.
I don't care?

Quote:
It is thousand time harder to win two/three tournaments back to back in golf.
Harder than what? How many tennis players win 2/3 b2b tournaments? Very, very few.

Quote:
Not talking about majors even.
? Majors aren't played b2b, so not sure what your point is.

Quote:
Even for Sampras - Jack comparison, winning 14 in 15 years and 18 in 25+ years which one is harder?
Less frequent != harder. A tennis player has to run and work his *** off to stay fit for 15 years. One bad injury and he is gone. Agassi took regular cortisone injections in his *** to stay match fit when he went over 30.

Quote:
Tennis has less career time for being in the peek. Physical fitness matters to compete with the younger faster players.
Exactly, and this is why tennis is harder.

Quote:
However, on a person's peek, one can dominate the circuit.
Barring Federer, I cannot see anyone who can be said to have dominated the circuit for more than 2 years.

Quote:
In golf, no one can dominate (except Tiger).
So Tiger is an exception?

Quote:
There is no arrogance in Golf.
None in tennis or any other sport. Golf isn't special.

Quote:
You not only play against players but you also play against the course and weather.
Wrong. In golf, you play against the course. Nothing your opponent does can harm your own progress. You are on your own. In tennis, you play as good as your opponent lets you. Big difference.

Quote:
The unpredictability makes the game so much harder than any sports.
Um, no. Golf is not even a sport, let alone harder than other sports.

Quote:
Go talk to your Cricket gurus. They will tell you which one is harder Golf or Cricket.
Cricket is a team sport, cannot really compare that to Golf, which isn't a sport to begin with.

Quote:
Anyone can hit a ball in Tennis for the first time picking up racket. Not that easy in golf. Try it, you may come to LOVE the game.
I am pretty sure I can play Golf very well if I wanted to. However, tennis is much, much harder and athletically demanding than Golf.

Golf is like shooting free throws in a big, windy, sticky basketball court from different standing positions and see who makes the shot in the least number of attempts. It's a sissy game. No reflex, no maneuvering, no opponents, no pushing, no huffing, no puffing, no running, no passing, no dribbling, no offense, no defense, no sweat, no timeclock, absolutely nothing exciting is involved. It's a cute game with a lot of unnecessary money involved.
Old July 24, 2008, 03:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Rain break again! Why does it always have to rain when Blake is winning??? This sucks!
Old July 24, 2008, 08:30 PM
Cricket Legend

So Roddick got back in the second set and won it 6-4. But lose the match when he lost the third set 4-6.
Old July 26, 2008, 10:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Andy Murray really improved a lot. Even though he lost the match, he played better than Nadal. Amazing match. Great rallies, great passing shots, amazing power from both players. Murray played really good. I am impressed. Nadal worked his *** off to earn the points. Murray is a hard worker, getting really good. I never really liked him before but after wimbledon and tonight I am changing my mind.
Old July 27, 2008, 10:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Wrong. In golf, you play against the course. Nothing your opponent does can harm your own progress. You are on your own. In tennis, you play as good as your opponent lets you. Big difference.
Arnab "Little knowledge is Dangerous"!!

Other players aggressiveness or passive approach can dictate on how one would play the course.

As I said, ja janen na sheta niya kotha bola thik na. Go play few rounds first.
Old July 27, 2008, 01:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Arnab "Little knowledge is Dangerous"!!

Other players aggressiveness or passive approach can dictate on how one would play the course.
You mean like in Billiard or Caromboard? If the other guy is cleaning the table, you become more alert and try to make less mistakes? I mean there's no athletic need or time constraint, is there? In golf, if your opponent is playing better, do you run faster, hit the ball harder, hit more reflex shots, steal the ball from him, deny him the advantage by pushing his ball into a bunker, race against time to get to the hole quicker? Where's the athletic demand? Where's the time pressure? There's none.

Why? Because Golf was created and designed as a relaxed game for the filthy rich white guys. Golf is time to relax and have little business talks.

Tiger Woods swoops in as the only athletic black guy who takes it as a serious sport and suddenly he is a superstar in a game that demands just about nothing in terms of athleticism or time constraint when compared to other real sports. The American media goes gaga because

a) he's visibly a black man in a white man's game. which means he makes a nice story. Tiger is totally white inside, though. That's why he married some blonde blue-eyed girl from Scandinavia.

b) well, he is American! Americans love to show off any American athlete dominating any sport. Remember how Lance Armstrong was the rage a few years back? Now that he is gone, do you hear a peep about Tour de France in American media? I am pretty sure you don't. Who won the Tour de France yesterday? Tell us without looking it up.

c) of course, Tiger's success is outstanding by any margin. That alone should put him in the spotlight. But he is getting way too much attention because of reasons a and b.

and

d) golf is the winner. Tiger makes a good role model to export the sport worldwide. which means more business, and business is always good.

That's my take on this.
Old July 28, 2008, 10:36 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
You mean like in Billiard or Caromboard?
No, when someone has piled up 300+ runs, then the top order (batting second) must attack to keep the RRR down.
Quote:
I mean there's no athletic need or time constraint, is there? In golf, if your opponent is playing better, do you run faster, hit the ball harder, hit more reflex shots, steal the ball from him, deny him the advantage by pushing his ball into a bunker, race against time to get to the hole quicker? Where's the athletic demand? Where's the time pressure? There's none.
The more you post the more ignorant you sound. There is a time constraint for every one playing professional tournament. Go read the rule books. Players are warned and penalized if then can't finish holes in given time. Penalty can come in form of fines or strokes. Just like 50 over match must be played within certain amount of time.

Attacking the course or playing passively is two distinct approach in golf. You can lay up or you can try to hit the pin. Depending on the weather and what other players have done before you may dictate your approach. Aggressively trying to get a birdie may cost a player more. May end up boggie or a double or more if water, trees, sand traps or hazards come in to play. Where as laying up would not reward the player but would be a safe approach but can cost one the tournament.

If I have time next time I visit BD, I will drag you to a golf course inshallah.
Old July 28, 2008, 12:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
If I have time next time I visit BD, I will drag you to a golf course inshallah.
Whatever in this thread has given you the slightest of indications that I like Golf?

I think it's quite possibly the dumbest sport ever. As I said in another thread, when I am white, 50+, rich and have tons of time to kill, I will give golf a try.
Old July 28, 2008, 01:39 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Whatever in this thread has given you the slightest of indications that I like Golf?
You don't have to like golf. Bainda niya jamu. Dorkar hoiley gun point'a. Dui-char ta Rab kono bapar na.

++++

Nadal won the Rogers cup. Now to Cinci. Federer is little unease with the 29th winning streak he has produced. A Quarterfinal exit for Federer and nadal winning this tournament will give him the #1 spot as early as fortnight. The difference in point is down to 300 now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/rankings...WMsyC_K7ikurkF
Old July 28, 2008, 01:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
No, when someone has piled up 300+ runs, then the top order (batting second) must attack to keep the RRR down.
Bad analogy. Do golfers have to face bouncers directed at the body, run and dive for their lives in between the wickets to keep the scoreboard ticking, make back to back to back sixes when necessary against 90 mph deliveries? No. There is no such rush, or any kind of athletic demand whatsoever.

Quote:
The more you post the more ignorant you sound. There is a time constraint for every one playing professional tournament.
In Professional Billiard people can ask for a shotclock counting 45 seconds per shot. They actually show the shotclock to everybody, so the player is visibly under a time constraint. There is NO such thing in golf. Golf is actually sissier than Billiard in this regard.

Read this: http://golf.about.com/cs/rulesofgolf/a/rulefaq_time.htm

In a nutshell, it says there is no time constraint in official golf rules. Whether a penalty should be given for playing unduly slowly totally depends on the tournament organizers.

No parallel to cricket, where the rules are strict, set by the ICC and have to be followed by all tournament organizers.
Old July 27, 2008, 12:51 PM
Cricket Legend

For the first time, I am on Arnab's side, TE. Golf is not a sport. If golf is a sport then Monopoly is a sport.
Old July 28, 2008, 11:06 AM
Cricket Savant

Sorry Bancan, I will not differ from the topic anymore.
Old July 28, 2008, 02:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Sorry Bancan, I will not differ from the topic anymore.
It's alright. Atleast the posts keep increasing.

Btw, the Canadian Open( Rogers Cup) is not done yet. The ladies are competing in Montreal starting today i beleive.