facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Who Should Sabbir Rahman (Rumon) replace in National Team (T20)
Mahmudullah Raid 3 14.29%
Mohammad Ashraful 4 19.05%
Mominul Haque 10 47.62%
Ziaur Rahman 3 14.29%
Others/None. 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12, 2013, 03:09 PM
Banned

Default Sabbir Rahman (Rumon) to National Team as Pinch Hitter?

I am very tired watching some of our players bat at No.7 and No.8 (Mahmudullah&Zia) in T20. It’s a disgrace that Mahmudullah who already played 12 T20 International has an average of 12.68 and strike rate of 96.87. I don’t understand the reason behind Mahmdullah’s inclusion in the T20 squad if both Shohag Gazi and Mominul Haque play’s, enough spinners (Razzak, Shakib, Gazi, Mominul). It’s a very important position which Mahmudullah holds as in T20. Its time BCB includes Sabbir Rahman in the National team for T20. Its time that they realise we need a pinch/hitter who can cleanly hit the ball and at times win match’s for his country, why can rumon not be the Pereira of SL?
http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh-premier-league-2013/content/player/373538.html

Old May 12, 2013, 03:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

I think the term 'pinch-hitter' does not suit Shabbir. He is a proper batsman. But yes, I think he has done enough to get a call into the T20I squad.
Old May 12, 2013, 03:51 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

No.
He hasn't done enough to get a call to the National squad.
Old May 12, 2013, 03:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
No.
He hasn't done enough to get a call to the National squad.
Well, with due respect to your opinion, no. 7 and 8 in our team aren't doing anything of note at all. We can afford to take Shabbir ahead of Zia and even Mominul in T20s.
I don't understand why Shabbir is not rated that highly at least for T20Is.
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Old May 12, 2013, 04:02 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

I agree it's time to bring him in at 7 for T20s. He'll do a better job than Zia or Mominul. He has the potential to play in ODIs in future too, so I think it's a good way to ease into international cricket.
Old May 12, 2013, 04:06 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Lets keep going with Zia, Riyad and Mominul in T20. We gonna win the T20 Wc. why fix something that is not broken?
Old May 12, 2013, 04:08 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: shakib al hasan

Would it sound to odd if I say that I would like to try him as an opener?
Old May 12, 2013, 04:14 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

btw its ROMAN/RUMMAN, not Rumon.
Old May 12, 2013, 07:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

get him into the t20 side thats for sure, at least then he gets some experience against some decent bowlers. riyad is starting to pick up his batting a bit in ODIs so i'm willing to wait a bit longer and see if he can keep it up/improve on it before moving him from the #7 spot in that format.
Old May 12, 2013, 07:01 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moh899
Would it sound to odd if I say that I would like to try him as an opener?
not that odd imo. i've thought about that for awhile now, t20 is the sort of game where even a lower order batsman as long as they aren't a slogger could potentially do well in the opening spot, however shamsur just came into that role and has started off well so i don't see reason to move shamsur from that opening spot just yet.
Old May 12, 2013, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
Lets keep going with Zia, Riyad and Mominul in T20. We gonna win the T20 Wc. why fix something that is not broken?
Exactly my thoughts.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old May 12, 2013, 08:35 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

if Rumman fails who do we call back ??? Zia, mominul or the legendary Roqibul ???
Old May 13, 2013, 12:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by al-Sagar
if Rumman fails who do we call back ??? Zia, mominul or the legendary Roqibul ???
well none of those guys since shabbir should probably bat at #7 and maybe, maybe open in t20s and none of the guys you mention are openers or #7s or even suited to t20 cricket (possibly zia but only as a bowler so void in this regard). could try guys like shuvagata or soumya at #7, soumya could even open. my point is the #7 has a certain role, now if players are selected for specific roles (and they should be), then those players should at least play in the style necessary for said role. you don't put a mominul down at #7 because he just needs to many balls to get going, plus he's generally not suited to the shorter formats at current so it would be silly to select him for the #7 role or the team if we're talking specifically mominul.

the reason zia doesn't work in the lower order is because he's a blind slogger whose technique doesn't hold up against international quality bowling, so for a #7 in t20s and ODIs you certainly need someone who can genuinely bat, someone who is capable of being moved up the order ideally. let's face it we don't really have any hadlee's or wasim's, ATG bowlers who can play some crucial swashbuckling innings, mash is our closest in that regard, even an afridi type player would probably be good enough at #7.
Old May 13, 2013, 01:17 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Rumman is an ef of a lot more than just a "pinch hitter". He's a real batsman with genuine potential to succeed at the highest level once his temperament begins to match his ability. That can only come through experience at the highest level given the pitifully inadequate nature of our domestic cricket, a scene that makes utterly crappy batting of the Nazimuddins of picnic cricket seem world class until you actually see the men behind those highly deceptive numbers play, and then predictably fail to sustain success at this level. Keep an eye on Kopa Shamsu, another such player doomed to failure like Imrul, Imroze, Mofees and countless others before them.

Rumman can bat anywhere in the order and is capable of adjusting his gears according to match situation. Get him in NOW! He can replace DaRk 2.0 AKA Bminul Haque Shourobh in the shorter formats ASAP if Zia continues to bowl well. Excellent RBW to go with the ability to find gaps and rotate the strike with ease. He also has the positive attitude we see in Shakib and Nasir. Someone else should replace Riyad, the other idiot in dismal form. Heck, replace Jahurual Islam Bmi while we're at it. Another overhyped, weak-willed loser not good enough to play at this level.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 13, 2013, 01:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

although I like Momin very much better than Zia, but Momin looks at this moment not so much ready for T20, so I voted Momin out and Sabbir in.
Old May 13, 2013, 02:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Momin, Riyad and Zia are waste of space down the order in T20s. They cant rotate strike or clear ropes. Shabbir can and we saw that. It would be a good start for him, slowly move him into the ODIs if he does well and shows promise. I believe eventually he will bat at 4 in tests for us in 2 years time, he has the footwork, talent and energy but temperament is the big question.
Old May 13, 2013, 02:02 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
Rumman is an ef of a lot more than just a "pinch hitter". He's a real batsman with genuine potential to succeed at the highest level once his temperament begins to match his ability. That can only come through experience at the highest level given the pitifully inadequate nature of our domestic cricket, a scene that makes utterly crappy batting of the Nazimuddins of picnic cricket seem world class until you actually see the men behind those highly deceptive numbers play, and then predictably fail to sustain success at this level. Keep an eye on Kopa Shamsu, another such player doomed to failure like Imrul, Imroze, Mofees and countless others before them.

Rumman can bat anywhere in the order and is capable of adjusting his gears according to match situation. Get him in NOW! He can replace DaRk 2.0 AKA Bminul Haque Shourobh in the shorter formats ASAP if Zia continues to bowl well. Excellent RBW to go with the ability to find gaps and rotate the strike with ease. He also has the positive attitude we see in Shakib and Nasir. Someone else should replace Riyad, the other idiot in dismal form. Heck, replace Jahurual Islam Bmi while we're at it. Another overhyped, weak-willed loser not good enough to play at this level.
would like to see soumya get chances in t20, heck even shuvagata.
Old May 13, 2013, 02:39 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
would like to see soumya get chances in t20, heck even shuvagata.
Soumya in T20Is is a good idea. But not at all sure about Shubhagoto in the format just yet. Hom's the type of player who likes to get his eyes in by rotating the strike with ease. Once that happens, his shot selection becomes high percentage because he doesn't feel rushed to hit anything other than a safely hittable ball while scoring at a brisk SR. Ideal ODI player that way, batting between 5 and 7.

Having said that, he has a tendency to play premeditated and low percentage shots when either bogged down or rushed. Both will happen in T20Is as well as tests. I think ODIs should be the gateway format for him, and once he gains experience there and learns from them, he can be considered for tests and T20Is.

BTW, the players we're talking about may cause Hefazat-e-Islam to add another demand to their list, and a fresh new round of sectarian cleansing while their apologists blame the ruling party for everything. Fair warning.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 13, 2013, 02:41 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Soumya in T20Is is a good idea. But not at all sure about Shubhagoto in the format just yet. Hom's the type of player who likes to get his eyes in by rotating the strike with ease. Once that happens, his shot selection becomes high percentage because he doesn't feel rushed to hit anything other than a safely hittable ball while scoring at a brisk SR. Ideal ODI player that way, batting between 5 and 7.

Having said that, he has a tendency to play premeditated and low percentage shots when either bogged down or rushed. Both will happen in T20Is as well as tests. I think ODIs should be the gateway format for him, and once he gains experience there and learns from them, he can be considered for tests and T20Is.
understand that t20s isn't ideal for shuvagata, but if he can get his foot in the door it could lead to ODIs. i agree though, ideally he plays the one-dayers then moves from there.
Old May 13, 2013, 02:46 AM
Cricket Legend

all of those guys should be out except Ash

Bijoy in For Riyad (3)
Mash in for Zia (8)
Shabbir in for Mominul (7)
Old May 13, 2013, 03:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Quote:
Originally Posted by King13
I am very tired watching some of our players bat at No.7 and No.8 (Mahmudullah&Zia) in T20. It’s a disgrace that Mahmudullah who already played 12 T20 International has an average of 12.68 and strike rate of 96.87. I don’t understand the reason behind Mahmdullah’s inclusion in the T20 squad if both Shohag Gazi and Mominul Haque play’s, enough spinners (Razzak, Shakib, Gazi, Mominul). It’s a very important position which Mahmudullah holds as in T20. Its time BCB includes Sabbir Rahman in the National team for T20. Its time that they realise we need a pinch/hitter who can cleanly hit the ball and at times win match’s for his country, why can rumon not be the Pereira of SL?
http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh-premier-league-2013/content/player/373538.html
Random thoughts:
I was watching the profile of Rumman and what I find.
1. His 20/20 average is only 19.
2.His idol is Shahid Afridi.
Old May 13, 2013, 03:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Keep an eye on Kopa Shamsu, another such player doomed to failure like Imrul
Ami onik hashlam when i read this.
Old May 13, 2013, 03:54 AM
MLC World Series I

Sabbir over Mominul any day. How can the selectors and the management pick Mominul for T20's is beyond me!
Old May 13, 2013, 04:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H.Rubel
Random thoughts:
I was watching the profile of Rumman and what I find.
1. His 20/20 average is only 19.
2.His idol is Shahid Afridi.
Twenty20 Career Batting and Fielding (2009/10-2013)
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 SRate Ct
32 27 6 529 69 25.19 0 3 131.59 11

25 agv will get better and look at that strike rate! even Shak is put on show.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD_TigerZ
Twenty20 Career Batting and Fielding (2009/10-2013)
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 SRate Ct
32 27 6 529 69 25.19 0 3 131.59 11

25 agv will get better and look at that strike rate! even Shak is put on show.
Source please......
According to CI his T20 batting average is 19.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...er/373538.html