facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 7, 2005, 09:59 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by cracky
seems yaseer is not yet ready for longer version of statement
LOL.

Give him some time........ hahaha

Old March 7, 2005, 11:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally posted by bdboy
Quote:
Originally posted by cracky
seems yaseer is not yet ready for longer version of statement
LOL.

Give him some time........ hahaha
What is wrong in the statement??

I am also an Aftab fan.......and i hoped and prayed that he scores some big runs in the NCL to gain his form and confidence in the longer version. so that he can go to england by making statement that "I can play longer version as well as ODI". Which will help him to play better in England and you guys know what aftab can do when he plays well.
Old March 7, 2005, 12:38 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

yaseer,
the problem with BD is that we dont yet hav the luxury of forming two different gropus of players for the Test and ODI squads..

so complaining about a player's performance after letting him play only a few matches sound very much over-demanding.

have patience!
Old March 7, 2005, 12:57 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Aftab performed quite well in English conditions when he played for BD U-19 against England U-19. That experience will help him immensely this summer, and therefore, I think he is a fixture in the Test squad, atleast for this upcoming tour to England.
Old March 7, 2005, 01:43 PM
Cricket Sage

I hope he does well in ENG.

But I am afraid, he will struggle in the ENG tour in the test series. After his superb score against ZIM in last one day, he haven't done much either in weak local tournament or strong Duleep tournament.
Old March 7, 2005, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally posted by Sham
As for Steve Waugh, he batted at 5 or 6 for most of his career, not at four.
Are you sure? I remember watching him bat at number 4 for a long time, and papers in BD addressing alok, and later rajin, as the steve of bd as they were doing good at 4.
Old March 7, 2005, 03:20 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
rajin imo is the best guy for the no.4 position...we need someone with a lot of patience in that position (look at steve waugh).
Steve Waugh???? Has NOT played at number 4 in all the 100 plus test matches he batted. played at number 3, 5, 6, 7, 8...(if u nitpick.. than he did it wtice when number 4 was injued (birmingham 97 and number 3 was injured Madras 98). Doesn't every position in test cricket needs patience??? In the last series, we had Ashraful at 4, and Rajin at 5.. and aftab at 6.... what is being suggested here???? to have an all-rounder at number 6 or a different batsman..

why number six HAS to be an allrounder..it will off course be great if that is possible. if we look around, only ENgland is playing an allrounder there as they have one in Flintoff.....
Old March 7, 2005, 03:31 PM
First Class Cricketer

bangladeshi paper talked about kapali as a steve waught too (because of the similarity in their batting postion and the fighting quality.. hard to believe now that kapali at some point used to score runs..) ..with Rajin the comnparison came in because of the similarity in character..

just a quick proof about steve waugh and number 4.

steve waugh's career started with AB as captain.. (waugh was a taileneder!!!). AB occupied that number 4 postion for a long long time.. (wood played there for two series) after Taylor's debut or Boon's move to number 3, Jones played as number 4 briefly.. in Ashes of 89 AB again moved up to 4, Jones 5 and Waugh 6. Then S waugh was dropped and Mark Waught came in and he went on to take that postion even before Border's retirement in 94. I am sure that u know that the Jr. Waugh occupied that slot till his retirement.. and after that anyone knows the aussie line up...
Old March 7, 2005, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

sheesh...i was just asking...
Old March 7, 2005, 04:16 PM
First Class Cricketer

Asif the Man,

no problem, that is a minor point.

there is one pilosophical difference in our thinking : that is i am conceding that we will have a bowling or batting allrounder at number 6. To me, Aftab is a genuine batsman. Having him (or any other batsman) at number six looks reasonable as both ashraful and rajin can roll their arms (putting no stok in Aftab;s bowling) and that confident 40 odds in Ctg test against India and the fact that he was largely comfortable at his stay in the wicket against NZ makes him a logical candidate for number 6.

earlier i mentioned that in last 22 years of English summer, hardly any visiting side has anyone but a BATSMAN at that position.. (including Tendulkar in 90, ijaj at number 7 in 87, Martin in 2001, Ponting in 97, Logie in 88, Rhodes in 94.........)

Connecting to the thread: he may not be ready.. but he SHOULD play at number 6 if something extra ordinary does not happen in next few weeks..
Old March 7, 2005, 10:24 PM
Street Cricketer

Well my point is if you can't score a century in first class cricket how are you going to score in Test Cricket. In test cricket you need cool tempered batsman. Aftab is an attacking batsman. He is perfect for oneday but needs to adjust with the longer version of the game. He is regularly making scores like 30-40
but isn't converting them into 100's. If Bangladesh wants to continue winning it is compulsory that he scores good as he one the pillars of Bangladeshi batting.