facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 20, 2011, 11:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv
Lightbulb vs West Indies - The most important game of this World Cup

Since we have India, SA & Eng in our group, and only 4 teams qualify to the next round, the game against West Indies will more than likely be the litmus test that will determine our success in this tournament.

If we win this game, it will be very hard for West Indies to topple us and make it to the second round. If we lose, even a win against the big 3 probably won't be enough for us to make it past West Indies.

If we win against West Indies, it's possible that we could lose against a smaller team and still make it to the next round.

The playing XI in this game should get at least 1 game together before they play this game. A century in this game is far more valuable than a century in any other 1st round game.

The coaches and management should prepare as much as possible for every game, but they should know that this game will be far more crucial than any other. Don't you wish we had an easier group?

Old January 20, 2011, 11:09 AM
Cricket Legend

No, I dont wish for an easier group, and the expectation should be two wins against India, South Africa, England and the West Indies.

If the Tigers are going to win the trophy, we need to put together wins against the good teams - and there isnt a team on that list that Bangladesh can beat, have beaten and will beat if they play the kind of cricket they can play.

All games are important - if you are going to win the world cup, then you must win enough of the games you should win, as well as all the games you must win.
Old January 20, 2011, 11:17 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

We have to realize that WI will be a very hard team to beat. In my opinion it's not gonna be that much easier then the England, SA, and England. They have some very explosive batsmen that can toy with any attack. Their just not a very consistent team. If Gayle goes off then it's gonna be very hard to beat them. Pollard is another player that can really smash any attack once he gets going. We're going to have to be on top of our games if we want to advance to the quarterfinals.
Old January 20, 2011, 11:18 AM
Administrator

You mean: "and there isnt a team on that list that Bangladesh can not beat, have not beaten and will not beat if they play the kind of cricket they can play"

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old January 20, 2011, 11:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

To qualify for the semi's, bangladesh has to beat both associates, and one of the the three other teams, so a win against WI should do, if the rest of th results (i.e. WI lose to India,SA,Eng and beat Ire, Neth) then we should make it to the quarters...
Old January 20, 2011, 11:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW
No, I dont wish for an easier group, and the expectation should be two wins against India, South Africa, England and the West Indies.

If the Tigers are going to win the trophy, we need to put together wins against the good teams - and there isnt a team on that list that Bangladesh can beat, have beaten and will beat if they play the kind of cricket they can play.

All games are important - if you are going to win the world cup, then you must win enough of the games you should win, as well as all the games you must win.
I could look at this like a wrestler, or I could look it like a statistician. The probability of advancing is just much harder in this group. The game against West Indies will probably determine our fate.
Old January 20, 2011, 11:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Suddenly grp A (which includes a bunch of team who are underperforming) looks much easier than grp. If we were placed in group A, I would have probably had a slower heart rate watching the matches!
Old January 20, 2011, 12:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
You mean: "and there isnt a team on that list that Bangladesh can not beat, have not beaten and will not beat if they play the kind of cricket they can play"

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Yes, yes I do
Old January 20, 2011, 12:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

pagol-chagol, it's a very well-thought simple (and great) post.
West Indies is the weakest one of the four and their weakness against spin is well documented. None of the other 3 will lose against them and you have explained the meaning of that nicely.

Of course, every match is important and we should try to win.

Last edited by Baundule; January 20, 2011 at 12:58 PM..
Old January 20, 2011, 12:42 PM
Club Cricketer

i think all the first 3 matches are equally important for us.
Old January 20, 2011, 12:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

echo Ian's thoughts...(with Dr. Z correction!)
Old January 20, 2011, 12:45 PM
Cricket Guru

I am with Ian here. No team should be undermined, neither our chance against any team should be undermined.
Old January 20, 2011, 01:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
I am with Ian here. No team should be undermined, neither our chance against any team should be undermined.
Did I or anyone else claim that any team should be undermined? Why create straw man?

My quote:
Quote:
The coaches and management should prepare as much as possible for every game.
Old January 20, 2011, 05:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Yes, a win against WI is very crucial but a win in the opening game -which is happened to be India -is more important. We have to start on a morale boosting winning note and take confidence and KNOW that we are capable of beating ANY team. We HAVE to beat good teams to get to the Quarters or Semis....simple as that! At the same time, we must be very mindful that if we even slightly lose our focus and intensity the Associate teams are more than capable of pulling victories against us.

There is not any shred of doubt that this is the most strongest (even without Mashrafee) and balanced side to represent Bangladesh at the World Cup. Tamim and Shakib, the two world class match winners are ably supported by the honest and true performers such as Razzak, Mushy and Shafiul. We even have the luxury of the surprise element of Mohammad Ashraful. I will put Bangladesh amongst the Top 5 ODI sides in the world at this moment.
Old January 20, 2011, 05:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
Yes, a win against WI is very crucial but a win in the opening game -which is happened to be India -is more important. We have to start on a morale boosting winning note and take confidence and KNOW that we are capable of beating ANY team. We HAVE to beat good teams to get to the Quarters or Semis....simple as that! At the same time, we must be very mindful that if we even slightly lose our focus and intensity the Associate teams are more than capable of pulling victories against us.

There is not any shred of doubt that this is the most strongest (even without Mashrafee) and balanced side to represent Bangladesh at the World Cup. Tamim and Shakib, the two world class match winners are ably supported by the honest and true performers such as Razzak, Mushy and Shafiul. We even have the luxury of the surprise element of Mohammad Ashraful. I will put Bangladesh amongst the Top 5 ODI sides in the world at this moment.
100%,, especially at Mirpur wicket.This is where all these guys played, trained and cheered. It cannot get any better than this.. When we play in Srilanka or India, we may have some challenges to face but at SBNS.. we are and will be the king of the kings..
Old January 20, 2011, 06:59 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagol-chagol
Since we have India, SA & Eng in our group, and only 4 teams qualify to the next round, the game against West Indies will more than likely be the litmus test that will determine our success in this tournament.

If we win this game, it will be very hard for West Indies to topple us and make it to the second round. If we lose, even a win against the big 3 probably won't be enough for us to make it past West Indies.

If we win against West Indies, it's possible that we could lose against a smaller team and still make it to the next round.

The playing XI in this game should get at least 1 game together before they play this game. A century in this game is far more valuable than a century in any other 1st round game.

The coaches and management should prepare as much as possible for every game, but they should know that this game will be far more crucial than any other. Don't you wish we had an easier group?
PC bhai...u don't get more points for beating stronger teams vs weaker teams. only thing that counts that is different is net run rate.

therefore, every game is important. we cannot lose to NET or IRE...but at the same time, WI is no more important than IND, except that they are more beatable.

also, the idea that will auto qualify if we beat WI is likely, but not guaranteed. WI could beat any of the other top 3, and in that case even if we beat WI, we'd be tied with them and it would come down to NRR.

thats why we have to bat first against NED/IRE and do our darnest to score 300 and bowl them out for 150-180, 200 max.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 20, 2011, 09:18 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara & Ashraful

I am glad, someone open this thread. I am just watching Caribbean T20, Jamaica vs. Windward Island. One should notice Andre Russel, one of the WI 15, from Jamaica bowls few balls deceitfully. He runs up to the point just behind umpire, and suddenly he drops his speed as if he is about stop bowling and once he pass umpire he continues with bowling. That is deceiving. Batsman should be wary of his bowling tactic.

Any way, first 4 games are very important for Bangladesh if we wish to go beyond second round. Points from 1st round against any/all top 4 will be carried forward to the second round. So the game against SA and ENG will not be any easier.
Old January 20, 2011, 09:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

We have to win against IR and Holland first too... holland shouldn't be a problem but i am little worried about all the English IR players. hopefully our picthes will spin
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old January 20, 2011, 10:24 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Will we face WI in the semis? Yes, we need to beat them then.
Old January 20, 2011, 10:55 PM
Cricket Legend

The way WI competed against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka in the recently completed series shows that WI is a much stronger competitor in this subcontinent than many other teams. Competing against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka is a very difficult mission, but they did it in style. I guess the reason is that Caribbean pitches are slow and low these days and this gives WI team the skill to handle such conditions with much ease.
Old January 20, 2011, 11:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Here is an explanantion of why the topic of the post is so valuable:

Assuming Eng, India and South Africa will win against WI and the rest of us and WI not slipping away against Ireland and Netherlands, this is why the WI match is important:

1) If we win against WI, Ned and Ire, we are in for the knock out stage (3 wins)
2) If we win against WI and either Ire or Ned, we can be still in (2 wins), if Ned-Ire result goes our way (e.g., if we lost to Ire, Ned win against Ire will help us), we are directly in or NRR will come in to play with 3 teams competing for the 4th position
3) If we win against Ind/SA/Eng and lose against WI and one of Ire/Ned we are out (2 wins)
4) If we win against Ind/SA/Eng and both Ned and Ire, we are still out with 3 wins

In the second case, WI and we will have same points; but we will have the advantage of winning head to head against them. [By ICC standard regulations, head-to-head win comes before Net Run Rate]. In case 3 and 4, WI will go through because of winning against us.

The knock out stage is simple. There is no super 8 this time. So, no team will carry points from the first round.

[Please correct me if I got any info wrong]

Last edited by Baundule; January 20, 2011 at 11:29 PM..
Old January 20, 2011, 11:35 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

apart from ireland and netherland--we should target west indies. seems like rest of 3 will play semi final and other team will be srilanka from A group.

so definitely beating WI should be target to go to semis
Old January 21, 2011, 12:00 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Forget the equations who wins what and looses what. These are all assumptions and we all know that assuming is about making an a$$ of u & me. We should go for all win. Beat everyone in the group. I will watch every game to win. Moyna and his team can do it...
Old January 21, 2011, 12:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZunaidH
Forget the equations who wins what and looses what. These are all assumptions and we all know that assuming is about making an a$$ of u & me. We should go for all win. Beat everyone in the group. I will watch every game to win. Moyna and his team can do it...
That is not a practical approach. If teams were following that motto, many people would have lost their jobs, especially the computer analysts.

The motto is simple, prepare based on pragmatic anticipation and then 'adapt' to the actual situation.
Old January 21, 2011, 12:53 AM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Good thinking, and I think it's same for South Africa if not better!

West Indies is weak at one thing that we are best at, SPIN. That also does favor to our pacers.... Because I saw against Kiwis and Zim, due to the fact that spinners are better and more deadly, batsmen went for the pacers and gifted the wickets!

The only thing to watch out for is their first bowling spell, if Tamim survives that. Victory is ours!

For South Africa, it's even better! They are the worst against spin so we have a even better chance!

Biggest advantage, none of these 2 teams have experience with our spin attack...... This will be fun to watch

Posted via BC Mobile Edition