facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 8, 2016, 02:24 AM

Default The importance of being Sabbir Rahman

"A batsman who works really hard has that inner confidence and knows his game - he will always be in the right frame of mind"

Sabbir was such an energetic kid that his coaches couldn't stop him from keeping wicket and bowling pace and offspin, which he did for months before settling on legspin and batting. He rose through the age-group ranks quickly and in 2010 gave a first glimpse of his hitting ability in that year's Under-19 World Cup, batting at a 100-plus strike rate in six innings. A few months later his unbeaten 18-ball 33 helped Bangladesh win their first ever gold medal in the Asian Games, an innings that he called a career breakthrough.

Read full @ http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...y/1070941.html

A wonderful peice by Isam @ ESPNcricinfo

Old December 8, 2016, 02:27 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shabbir and Taskin.

My favourite batsman at the moment
Old December 8, 2016, 05:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

I think this is Islam's best work. Also, the timing of the article was too good because there is a lot of curiosity in Shabbir and also he is a rising star in BD. Some personal annectodes like him practising hitting with socks was really nice to read. One criticism was though the mention of Nafees and Mominul, thought that was not needed in this article, and the fact that he didn't articulate the century Shabbir made this BPL. But I still think this is Islam's best work.
Old December 8, 2016, 05:37 AM
Cricket Legend

He needs to put a price tag on his wicket. He still needs some adjustments.

Last edited by Rana Melb; December 8, 2016 at 06:30 AM..
Old December 8, 2016, 05:55 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

"The next few months could define which way he heads in international cricket. He needs to repair his reputation after this transgression, and the best way would be to quickly revert to doing what he knows best: batting with a free mind."

Exaggeration. Unnecessary. Trying to creating something out of nothing. Making it seem like this is Ro's make or break time! Wtf...Stop reading after this.

Isam is overrated AF.

ABY_97 ON DECEMBER 8, 2016, 9:55 GMT

"This is nothing than a fan boy article (...)"

Perfect response
Old December 8, 2016, 07:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Man everything is half empty for you isnt it. You whine about coach, players and now Mohammad Isam.

Wonderful bio imo, great entertaining read as always-like the Malcolm Gladwell styled structuring. Well done Isam, if ur reading this thread
Old December 8, 2016, 09:46 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ So you agree that this upcoming series is going to be THE defining moment for Sabbir? Make or break? For Sabbir Hossain? No. Sabbir's career will be defined by next 5-7 years, not by one series. Isam is trying to make this his romanticized drama story. He's trying to make a Bangla Michael Clarke happen. I see it as every other series, no exxxtra emphasis on it.

I'm not the only one who's "complaining" about this article (or the coach or whatever other players for that matter), read the comment section. And those are the only ones that have been published...But feel free to avoid my post if you don't like em instead of complaining my "complaints."
Old December 8, 2016, 05:28 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

I fear for Shabbir. He is at a juncture in his career where the likes of Nasir have been after getting some intial taste of fame and success early in their career. He took the wrong road and became more involved iin other stuff that he forgot the basics of cricket. From being the best fielder to becoming butter fingers.

Hope Shabbir doesn't take the same path like Nasir did!
Old December 8, 2016, 06:05 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

and this is how we spoil these guys....

He just got out of a mess. Rather then bringing him back to the limelight, why not let him stay behind the stage and focus on his act? Nope! Thats too maintstream... go on and write a whole article about how he grew up watching Afridi and got his confidence by hitting 6s in school and how some of the senior cricketers learned a thing or two from him.

What a perfect remedy Isam bhai has come up with!
Old December 8, 2016, 06:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

I think because of the current negativity around his off field shenanigans we are reacting here. What Shabbir needs to do now is completely ignore the media and keep a low profile.

Eventhough he and Nasir are of the same batch, Nasir was drafted in the national team way too young for his own good. Nasir was playing in 7th position, and let's face it, he is not playing in his ideal position. That position needs someone to accelerate and Nasir can't do that. It's not his fault, that's how he is built. Someone should have recognized that. When Nasir was doing well, Bangladesh was looking to just get over the line not to bolt over it. By the time Nasir comes to bat nowadays, the team doesn't need to consolidate but needs a score of 10 ball 25 or a 15 ball 30. Let's face it, he is not that type of batsman. So I feel the comparisons are just not right. The other point is Shabbir has come into the national team much more rounded, after playing BPLs and national leagues. Nasir just came from Under 19. So Shabbir has had more time to develop his game.

While he was picked for the test matches, I saw a couple of members here going like he doesn't deserve to be in the national team, play Mosaddek instead of him. You don't understand how important he is to the national team. With players like Shabbir, Soumya to an extent from the past, Mustafizur you have match winners in your team. You need match winners in your team period. Without them you can't win series, one of the main reasons we won 3 series in a row last year was because of a batsman like Soumya being in red hot form. You probably can't see his impact right now, but if Soumya doesn't return back to form and we can't find a replacement, you will see it in the future I can guarantee you that. It's the same way Nasir's off form affected us in 2014. The close matches where we relied on his ability to finish it off were becoming one sided affairs. Because we relied on Nasir too much and he couldn't deliver.

Yes we have more performers in the team now. Yes, we are building a core of senior players. But they are also in the decline as pointed in the article. So hell yes we need new heroes. We need new match winners. Shabbir along with a very few are the flag bearers, and you should be praying they stick and succeed. Obviously they will need to play with a clear mind, and this is what again the article says so well, that that is his biggest strength and if something changes that then he will lose his way of playing. So all you guys saying Islam is being a fanboy need to read this piece again. It's a reminder to all of us how important this guy is, whether you like it or not. And trust me if the Shabbirs and the Soumyas keep failing of Bangladesh you will find out what they mean to Bangladesh cricket. No matter how many Shakibs or Mushfiques you have, it's just not going to cut.
Old December 9, 2016, 02:52 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ Nasiring for Sabbir has started already. Your post popped into my sleeping mind when I half watched him drop that catch.
Old December 10, 2016, 03:52 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
"The next few months could define which way he heads in international cricket. He needs to repair his reputation after this transgression, and the best way would be to quickly revert to doing what he knows best: batting with a free mind."

Exaggeration. Unnecessary. Trying to creating something out of nothing. Making it seem like this is Ro's make or break time! Wtf...Stop reading after this.

Isam is overrated AF. <--------I agree. And CI is content with having a good boy, good guy writer who is strict on morals and behavior of Bangladeshi players and tries to be overly neutral by being a critic. As if there is shortage of writers and monopoly by him. And I am not writing out of jealousy. Look at all the writers here in BC in the past....

ABY_97 ON DECEMBER 8, 2016, 9:55 GMT

"This is nothing than a fan boy article (...)" <--- Not really. It's more like another-one-of-those-'forget-cricket-actions-we-I-police-your-etiquette-and-behavior' article.

Perfect response
See my embedded comments.

Btw, how come no one likes you Dilscoop?

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old December 10, 2016, 04:44 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Isam is a "good boy" writer. He's like Jay Leno, Jimmy Fallon. Just storkes the right feathers, doesn't upset anyone. I'm the opposite I guess. But I prefer to be hated. It's easy to be loved.

I'm one of those who are appreciated once they're dead.

¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯