facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 7, 2010, 12:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few
Default The Golden Age Of Bangla Cricket Forum

Well this thread is exactly about what the name suggests. I'm not claiming to know everything about BC. So the participation of veteran members is most appreciated.

Since its beginning in 2000 when the name of the forum was Teststatus.com & after its name changed to Bangla Cricket it has come a long long way.

But in its decade long successful existence not every year was the same. During pre 2004 BC there was just a handful of members but there was no lack of emotion, passion & hope. In fact those are the only things that kept BC alive during the darkest period of BD cricket. The match threads of that time(esp. WC2003) are testament to that.

Then came the Whatmore Era & we got the first odi win in 5 LONG years in 2004 & then in 2005 we got the memorable victory over the Aussies. That was the time when the interest in both BD cricket & BC increased & member like SM Hasan vai joined.

By the year of 2006 the total number of members of BC was more than respectable. We were a pretty good minnow basher at that time & also got some wins against top teams. That was the time when a lot of members like Murad vai, Faguner Agun vai & legend Miraz vai joined. Specially Miraz vai's initiative for communicating with players & coach was a gift from heaven. His front page articles were great too. The positive vibe in BC was huge.

Then in next year 2007, a lot of members & another legend like Sohel NR vai joined. His post was a pleasure to read. The positive energy was at its highest. Everyone was damn sure that we could beat India in WC. And the rest is history.

Well, after that there was predictably a huge influx of new members in BC. But one thing that came with it was premature arrogance. Some veteran active members became irregular for various reasons. The number of quality threads & posts reduced by a big mirgin. At that point Whatmore left. And an era ended in both BD cricket & BC.

After that in 2008-2010 there has been very little to cheer about our performance & BC's overall quality.

So it can be safely said that 2006-2007 was the greatest time of BC's life. That was the golden age.
Do you agree with that & shall we ever see a time like that again? If so when do you think that can happen? Or has BC already reached its pinnacle?

Last edited by Habib; August 11, 2010 at 03:40 AM..

Old August 7, 2010, 04:44 PM
Cricket Guru

If anyone can find any wrong information please point it out.
Old August 7, 2010, 06:16 PM
Cricket Savant

....yet to come.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old August 8, 2010, 02:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
....yet to come.
And what makes you say that?
Old August 8, 2010, 03:36 PM
Cricket Savant

Moore's law except applied to quality.

Think about it man. Kids nowadays got more access to the hive brain than old codgers whose only access to cricket at one time was cricinfo line by line updates. Kids like dhrubo, antora, nafis, nadim, rommel are already showing signs of maturity and when they grow up they will exercise more prudence. This is the law of life. Just like in real life we are privy to so much luxuries that old people didn't have before same would apply to virtual world. You have seen nothing yet. Kids are wayy smarter...in school's early curriculum they are being introduced to tough courses like calculus and plethora of languages. Heck my 12 year brother knows the meaning of 'sotto voce' and 'shindy' which I learnt the other day. So obviously it only makes sense that when they grow up they will have exposure to worlds which you wouldn't have dreamt about in your wildest oneirogmophobia. 'idoor----and habib you should be smart enough to know that i am not calling you one---- gorte thakle oitakei prithibi mone kore'...

So stop being nostalgic worrying about golden age and your golden girls.

P.s. Of course i havent touched on the biggest issue of all. BANGLACRICKET. Bangladesh cricket will drastically improve within the next 50 years or so which will have ripple effect on the members.

Old August 8, 2010, 05:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Moore's law except applied to quality.

Think about it man. Kids nowadays got more access to the hive brain than old codgers whose only access to cricket at one time was cricinfo line by line updates. Kids like dhrubo, antora, nafis, nadim, rommel are already showing signs of maturity and when they grow up they will exercise more prudence. This is the law of life. Just like in real life we are privy to so much luxuries that old people didn't have before same would apply to virtual world. You have seen nothing yet. Kids are wayy smarter...in school's early curriculum they are being introduced to tough courses like calculus and plethora of languages. Heck my 12 year brother knows the meaning of 'sotto voce' and 'shindy' which I learnt the other day. So obviously it only makes sense that when they grow up they will have exposure to worlds which you wouldn't have dreamt about in your wildest oneirogmophobia. 'idoor----and habib you should be smart enough to know that i am not calling you one---- gorte thakle oitakei prithibi mone kore'...

So stop being nostalgic worrying about golden age and your golden girls.

P.s. Of course i havent touched on the biggest issue of all. BANGLACRICKET. Bangladesh cricket will drastically improve within the next 50 years or so which will have ripple effect on the members.

That makes no sense. Based on this logic (or lack thereof) golden age would never come. The next generation would "always be better than the previous one".

So Habib let me tell you when it was "The" place to be at. It was when I was at university and posting here everyday. Gone are those golden days !!! It was before ZeeshanM came into the scene and before Peace came with his "Egg" logic. So yeah 2006-2007. You got it spot on man.
Old August 8, 2010, 06:27 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

When I joined BC, I enjoyed my time here, more or less, and have been, since then, so far. IMO, BC always has a golden age, and it will continue with our support and good intention.

And about quality posts, I think always intelligent posts do not make us happy as we come here to enjoy our time, to relax a bit. Sometimes, some tidbits with a little bit of spices make us happy, goes our mood to upswing, the sun comes out of the dark cloud.

There is no end of quality posts in BC. We may miss some of them, we may not like some of them.

And the reason BC always has a golden age, is, this unique forum is much better in quality, design, administration and file mapping, and more informative in variance than lot of other forums online.

Last edited by FagunerAgun; August 8, 2010 at 06:37 PM..
Old August 8, 2010, 07:40 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
That makes no sense. Based on this logic (or lack thereof) golden age would never come. The next generation would "always be better than the previous one".

So Habib let me tell you when it was "The" place to be at. It was when I was at university and posting here.
Or the era otherwise known as shahriyar-orpheus 'correspondence'. You know what they say....

First love always hard to get off of.

Old August 8, 2010, 09:05 PM
Cricket Legend

the next year 2011 inshAllah I am wishing will be the golden age of BanglaCricket with the flow of Bangladesh crickets upright improvement following a World Cup at home.All of us gotta ensure that by staying with BC and contributing accordingly!
Old August 8, 2010, 11:16 PM
Cricket Guru

@Zeeshan vai, again your logic is almost beyond my mediocre intelligence. Anyway even if the new generation 'in BC' is smarter there's no guarantee that they would continue to visit BC or contribute here if BD's performance in the field goes downhill as according to you they are smarter. And if they continue to visit even after BD's pathetic performance then maybe they are not that smart as you claim but just patriotic.

Last edited by Habib; August 8, 2010 at 11:28 PM..
Old August 8, 2010, 11:22 PM
Cricket Guru

@Fagun vai, yes you are right. But let's face it there was a time when BC was literally fantastic. And I want to believe that a time like that will come again.
Old August 9, 2010, 07:04 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

In fact the term golden age is originated from a defeatist attitude. Bengali culture & literature is filled up with golden ages. Because we are declining in every area since last 2/3 hundred years. So we love being nostalgic with the golden times of life, always a thing of past. We haven't learnt to live in present or future.

Every moment of my life is golden for me, every time I come to BC I enjoy every single day and don't like to be nostalgic with the golden times of the past and miss the golden present moments. I truely believe in the three questions, answered by the wise man of the old: (I'm sure you know, but to remind)

Q: What is the most important time? - ANS- Present Moment
Q: What is the most important work? - ANS - Present work/work at hand
Q: Who is the most important person? - ANS - Person present / you are interacting with at present

We definitely are on a progressive forum. So, IMO it is a negative/pecimistic way to look back for golden moments. You may need to tune yourself with the change/progress
Old August 9, 2010, 09:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

Quote:
....yet to come.
have u developed a new crush on this^^?