facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 10, 2012, 10:48 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Mia
Default FAST Bolwers (not medium)

Salam to all my fellow Bangali fans.

This is my 1st thread so please go easy. I dont really get to watch much of the Bangladesh games, I follow the scorecards mostly. Therefore I am seeking opinions and insights from those of you who are well familiar with our national squad and national league.

For a long time now I have been worried about out pace attack. Our number 1 strike option (Mortaza) is often injured, his skill and abilities seem to deteriorate upon each recovery/return. While Shahadat Hossain's strongest attribute seems to be inconsistent line and length. So besides these two ..........

Who else do we have that has the ability to bowl at least 130 kmph for consecutive days (test match) without losing pace? AND the ability to bowl at that pace with consistent line and length? AND Is there anyone who can swing the ball or move the ball off the pitch in favorable conditions with fast pace + line and length consistency?

Or am I just asking and hoping for too much?

Previously we used to see a lot of Shafiul Islam, Nazmul Hossain and to a lesser extent Rubel Hossain. None of those guys fir the bill. Recently we are getting to see likes of Ziaur Rahman, Kazi Kamrul Islam, Abul Hasan, Alauddin Babu, Robiul Islam.

Is there anyone from the names I listed who has the potential to take the mantle as our NUMBER 1 STRIKE option? Or maybe there is others who I failed to mention who can do this?

I would love to hear all your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Old July 10, 2012, 10:52 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

We have loads of guys who can ball 130kph and few 135kph+ but sadly none of them any king of consistancy including Rubel who have been out best seam bowler for last couple of yrs in odi

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old July 11, 2012, 06:41 AM
Cricket Legend

We ve been doing very poorly in this department. And it wont improve until BCB makes drastic changes-academies, continuous training to NT players, future hopefuls (Not just before a series), more sporting wickets, improved fitness etc etc. We get carried away with Shafiul Islam and Abul Hasan bowling in excess of 135. But at even at a place like Sri Lanka you will get 20-30 Abul Hasans. Our best fast bowling prospects are average talent in more developed cricketing nations.

And the focus should not be on pace, rather develop skillful, intelligent bowlers. Think Vaas, think Kulasekera, think Pravin Kumar. These guys solid proof you dont have to be express pace to be successful. Vaas for instance bowled at 120-125, but was all about discipline, control, intelligence and skill. This helped him succeed in all formats of the game. Our bowlers like Shahadat, Shafiul like to bowl like Brett Lee and get hammered. What is sad is they often dont learn and repeat same mistakes. Some credit must be given to Mashrafee who recently is focusing a lot in control, line and length. Nazmul too has impressed in this department. There were some positives in Asia Cup. Hope Jurgensen can keep up the good work and bring a change in the mindset and approach of our pace bowlers.
Old July 11, 2012, 06:48 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

We have no Fast bowlers in that sense... All Fasting bowlers...

130-35 is still a medium pacer..
Old July 11, 2012, 08:17 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
We have no Fast bowlers in that sense... All Fasting bowlers...

130-35 is still a medium pacer..
Shafiul
Old July 11, 2012, 07:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Rubel is by no means a "seam bowler". He's genuinely quick, just doesn't seem to able to swing the ball, or use any variations whatsoever.
Old July 11, 2012, 08:15 PM
Club Cricketer

Oh well, I guess we will have to rely on our army of Slow Left Arm spinners to win us games.

None of our pacers can do anything with the ball in the air or off the pitch. Very sad.
Old July 11, 2012, 10:24 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_rounder
Oh well, I guess we will have to rely on our army of Slow Left Arm spinners to win us games.

None of our pacers can do anything with the ball in the air or off the pitch. Very sad.
That's not true... both Mash and Nazmul have a terrific inswinger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ieHWjteJk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhEvsGqpZmg
Old July 11, 2012, 11:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Actually the type of wickets we have in Bangladesh, theres nothing more you can do other than bowling wicket to wicket. You cant change the weather, humidity etc. At least we should try to import clay from Australia and try to develop more bouncy, sporting wickets. There was something like that in BCB's pipeline but our government stopped it due to environmental fears
Old July 14, 2012, 12:15 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Actually the type of wickets we have in Bangladesh, theres nothing more you can do other than bowling wicket to wicket. You cant change the weather, humidity etc. At least we should try to import clay from Australia and try to develop more bouncy, sporting wickets. There was something like that in BCB's pipeline but our government stopped it due to environmental fears
I like that idea very much.
Old July 14, 2012, 01:34 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Guys please understand that if you can coach pace into bowlers they will also improve their accuracy.

This idea that you would rather have accuracy than speed is because coaches do not teach speed. You are talking about a bowler trying to bowl too fast and lose his accuracy. I am referring to a bowler tweaking his action so he can bowl pace WITH his accuracy.

Finn, Steyn, Lee, Akhtar and others are examples of being able to bowl in excess of 150 kph and be controlled. In fact Finn is far more threatening now he has increased his speed.

I feel fans need to get away from the "I would rather have accuracy" comments in bowlers. The bowlers I just mentioned are fast, skilful, intelligent and know what they are doing.

We all know medium paced club bowlers with accuracy, yet they do not play internationally. The truth is if you bowl 115-125 kph you HAVE to be accurate. Lack of pace (not control) is what kept Syed Rasel out of the team and finally ended his chances. I think the mindset has to be changed to seek pace coaching and push that agenda.

There is not a trade off between speed and accuracy. You don't have to be one or the other. Those who say you do, do not understand how to coach.

The solution? Start an MRF style pace academy and develops quicks. Invest in world class coaching. Produce 4 or 5 Dale Steyns from Bangladesh. Encourage guys to run in and bowl gas. It is possible out of 170 million people to find 24 likely candidates and coach them. If only 1 comes through then it is worthwhile.

But guys, sorry, you gotta shake off this negative mindset about pace. Go for it big time and reap the rewards. It's only when you start to open your mind to the possibilities, that success can be had.
Old July 14, 2012, 02:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

completely agree with Coach. Just find someone who can run in and bowl fast because Bangladesh are lacking fast bowlers. And then after you have found that someone develop him until he becomes decently accurate while maintaining pace. To do that you need an academy.
Old July 14, 2012, 05:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib, Mashrafi, Mushfiq

Pace academy is very important to coach pacers. Naturally some one can come but we need them trained properly and for this we need proper pitches, proper coahing etc.
Old July 14, 2012, 05:55 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
completely agree with Coach. Just find someone who can run in and bowl fast because Bangladesh are lacking fast bowlers. And then after you have found that someone develop him until he becomes decently accurate while maintaining pace. To do that you need an academy.
we already have that with rubel and abul.
Old July 14, 2012, 09:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
we already have that with rubel and abul.
Just 2 players wont help. As well we need to nurture the young fast bowler from a younger age and bring him up. Abul has just appeared. I dont think their were people behind the scenes that nurtured him.
Old July 15, 2012, 11:26 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:

true , i have not seen any of our fast bowlers bowl either a yorker or an inswinger.
Nazmul Hossain was an exception in the Asia Cup against the Sri Lankan top order,when he removed them with his inswingers
Old July 16, 2012, 12:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Just 2 players wont help. As well we need to nurture the young fast bowler from a younger age and bring him up. Abul has just appeared. I dont think their were people behind the scenes that nurtured him.
i'm just going off your earlier post when you said find someone who can bowl fast then develop them until they become decently accurate while maintaining pace. we already have a couple. we do need to find more though, and as you say nurture and develop them from a younger age.
Old July 16, 2012, 03:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib, Mashrafi, Mushfiq

Before few years pacer hunt programme was run all over the country. Does it continue still or stop it?
Old July 16, 2012, 06:19 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Pak didn't have to have imported clay or bouncy pitches to produce genuine fast & wicket taking bowlers... You don't need bouncy pitches to make fast bowlers...well that might just help the bowlers to get more wickets or prep the batsman to play pacers better in bouncy pitches.

I would prefer to have spinning pitches at home and the pacers need to learn to be effective on these pitches as much as possible, while spinners win home matches for you. And the genuine pacers will be winning for us in away matches if we are offered a bouncy pitch.

Well we may have a few venues with bouncy pitches for domestic matches only.