facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 23, 2017, 03:16 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Virat Kohli
Default How is giving Test statuses to Ireland and Afghanistan going to effect Test cricket?

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has given Ireland and Afghanistan Full Member status, which means they have become cricket’s eleventh and twelfth Test playing countries. This decision was unanimously signed off on by the ICC’s Full Council members in the board meeting in London on Thursday (June 22).

Old June 23, 2017, 03:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

It won't have much effect on Test cricket or BD test cricket for that matter. Everyone complaining about how it dilutes test cricket are forgetting that the top teams won't be playing AFG and IRE anyways.

England and Australia will carry on playing ashes for the zillionth time. India will continue beating Australia at home and losing badly to them away, while Indian fans amplitude shift from yelling "we are best in the world yaar/baap kaun hain" with every home win to "Ozzie pitch is terrible/you should be graceful in victory guys" with every away loss.

The only people who benefits, besides afghan and ireland, is zimbabwe since they now they get to play more test matches now. And for those of us who live in places like the US where no one cares about cricket, we can now claim to our friends that 12 teams are full members and Bangladesh is one of them
Old June 23, 2017, 03:42 PM
Cricket Legend

A better question is how will this affect ODI cricket. Will the world cup expand to 12 teams or stay at 10? And if so, can zim hold on to the 10th spot?
Old June 23, 2017, 04:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Ireland, Afghanistan and Zimbabwe will not be playing any scheduled tests till 2023.
Old June 23, 2017, 05:10 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Unless zim does something soon I see them being overtaken by Ireland and Afghanistan very quickly in all formats.
Old June 24, 2017, 01:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim, Sabbir, Mustafiz

I think it's just a added no. For the icc ... but it's a huge respect for the ire and Afghan... even financially they will be helpful. They need to focus on playing against Zimbabwe and West Indies for now and of course with each other ... after 2023 they will be more strong and matured.. which will give them liveline to play with top teams ...
Ireland was due for that ... but Afghanistan decision is confusing me.. because they don't have strong domestic platforms yet and the stadium or their players finding strategy ... but wish them good luck and do it well in international arena..
Old June 24, 2017, 02:02 AM
Cricket Legend

My understanding is the top 9 nations can play tests against Ireland,ZImbabwe or Afghanistan if they choose to.
Old June 24, 2017, 12:21 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockley
My understanding is the top 9 nations can play tests against Ireland,ZImbabwe or Afghanistan if they choose to.
That may be good for cricket only if they dont introduce two tier system. Otherwise countries like bangladesh & west indiese will be forced to play teams like afghanistan, ireland & zimbabwe over & over again. That may gonna prove really destructive for lower ranked teams and also for upper ranked teams because upper ranked teams will also be bound to play only with one another.
That will bring forth destruction for this beautiful game of test cricket
Old June 24, 2017, 12:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Bangladesh will be a top test side soon. Matter of time. 2tier will be bad for the windies and SL both on the decline.
Old June 24, 2017, 01:17 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas_UK25
Bangladesh will be a top test side soon. Matter of time. 2tier will be bad for the windies and SL both on the decline.
Inshallah and i also wish to see Bangladesh & Pakistan becoming top teams of test in future but we need to shift our focus towards test match more if we wish that to be true. Recently in south asian countries people are becoming more inclined to T20s and that may make them inviable for test games.
2tier system will be bad for all teams since it will limit teams to play only with 3 or 4 teams. That may bring destruction to test matches in long run. 2 tier system can only be implemented if we have 10 teams for each tiers,i could be wrong but thats what i think.
Old June 24, 2017, 04:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot

Bosorer por bosor mair khabey ar tarpor finally 20 years por amago moton ekta test jitbey!
Old June 24, 2017, 04:50 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakman
Inshallah and i also wish to see Bangladesh & Pakistan becoming top teams of test in future but we need to shift our focus towards test match more if we wish that to be true. Recently in south asian countries people are becoming more inclined to T20s and that may make them inviable for test games.
2tier system will be bad for all teams since it will limit teams to play only with 3 or 4 teams. That may bring destruction to test matches in long run. 2 tier system can only be implemented if we have 10 teams for each tiers,i could be wrong but thats what i think.
Pakistan is already top Test team. Pakistan has been doing well comparatively which Pakistan drew the series with England in England, played competitive cricket with Australia which the first test where Pakistan came close to win. That series could have been arguably better if Pakistan fought little harder. That being said, without Younus and Misbah, Pakistan test team will be tested.

It is limited format where Pakistan always had problems with. Glad Pakistan team is getting better in the limited format. But for how long is the key where consistency comes to the rescue.
Old June 24, 2017, 06:13 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Quote:
Inshallah and i also wish to see Bangladesh & Pakistan becoming top teams of test in future but we need to shift our focus towards test match more if we wish that to be true.
Thank you my dearest Pakman bhaiya. Insh Allah, with the Lord's blessing and the cricketers' hard work and constant effort to improve/hone their skills, both Bangladesh and Pakistan will play memorable test matches. I must say that is highly generous and courteous of you to express that wish equally for both Bangladesh and Pakistan in a same breathe. When Bangladesh plays against cricket teams like Pakistan, India and Sri Lanka who bear superb, powerful and long historical cricket lineage, it itself is a glorious, joyful moment for a Bangladeshi like myself. My Bangladesh cricket, next to these three giants of world cricket is an infant. And I feel, man, BD will shine and learn, improve on skills and soon play some good cricket and throw some challenge out there - someday like the cricketers like- (I grew up in the 70s era and was totally mesmerized by the likes of) Zahir Abbas, Sunil Gavaskar and (in the 80s) Arjuna Ranatunga.

Pakman - your sense of courtesy, patience and good heart is a beautiful thing. You are a genuine asset to our forum BC.

Quote:
Recently in south asian countries people are becoming more inclined to T20s and that may make them inviable for test games.

You practically said what I also genuinely ponder as well.
Old June 24, 2017, 08:04 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
Thank you my dearest Pakman bhaiya. Insh Allah, with the Lord's blessing and the cricketers' hard work and constant effort to improve/hone their skills, both Bangladesh and Pakistan will play memorable test matches. I must say that is highly generous and courteous of you to express that wish equally for both Bangladesh and Pakistan in a same breathe. When Bangladesh plays against cricket teams like Pakistan, India and Sri Lanka who bear superb, powerful and long historical cricket lineage, it itself is a glorious, joyful moment for a Bangladeshi like myself. My Bangladesh cricket, next to these three giants of world cricket is an infant. And I feel, man, BD will shine and learn, improve on skills and soon play some good cricket and throw some challenge out there - someday like the cricketers like- (I grew up in the 70s era and was totally mesmerized by the likes of) Zahir Abbas, Sunil Gavaskar and (in the 80s) Arjuna Ranatunga.
Pakman - your sense of courtesy, patience and good heart is a beautiful thing. You are a genuine asset to our forum BC.
Thank you so much bujhee koom bro for all those nice & sweet words. You are extremely nice person. I dont think i am worthy of that much praise to be honest, my posts are just ordinary and has nothing in it.
You are saying all those sweet words is not because i am good but its because you have a pure & beautiful heart. I have read many of your posts and i havent seen you hurting anyones feelings. You ignore flaws in others and call other people your bhai thats one attribute that is extremely rare in the world. You are the heart & gem of this forum and i really mean it & others will definitely gonna agree with this too.

And as for bangladesh, they have improved alot and has posed challenged to many of the top sides and are climbing up the ladder. They have had tremendous record in past few years. The story of bangladesh cricket in recent times is really an inspirational one.

Last edited by Pakman; June 24, 2017 at 09:02 PM..
Old June 24, 2017, 08:15 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Now Rubel might bring his average down from Bradman to Amla levels
Old June 24, 2017, 08:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

I supppse for a team like BD it would be an opportunity to test out a few players but Ireland and Afghanistan will be hungry so would still have to be careful.

At least in the immediate future it will probably be a level of cricket between A team level and test cricket as far as standard so in that regard it could help BD cricket improve its youngsters a bit better. Though I wouldn't count on it lasting that long because of the improvement we've seen from these two teams in the last 10 years, they may improve rapidly.
Old June 24, 2017, 09:00 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalikBro
Pakistan is already top Test team. Pakistan has been doing well comparatively which Pakistan drew the series with England in England, played competitive with Australia which the first test where Pakistan came close to win. That series could have been arguably better if Pakistan fought little harder. That being said, without Younus and Misbah, Pakistan test team will be tested.

It is limited format where Pakistan always had problems with. Glad Pakistan team is getting better in the limited format. But for how long is the key where consistency comes to the rescue.
Yes bro you are right we remained top team in test in recent past. And our ranking declined after that australia series. Its actually really hard to defeat Australia in their home. Australia won 42 series & lost 4 and tied 4 in their home ground after 1992. Australia is really hard to conquer.

Our upper order has now became bit stable after inclusion of sami aslam, azhar ali & babar. Lower order is safe in hands of sarfraz & shafiq. But the void that has been created in the middle order by the departure of two of our test legends will hardly be filled. I believe they may bring in fawad alam but fawad hasnt played for so many years so i dont know how well is he playing now. Maybe we should test out our new players by arranging few matches against afghanistan & ireland.
Old June 24, 2017, 10:29 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
I supppse for a team like BD it would be an opportunity to test out a few players but Ireland and Afghanistan will be hungry so would still have to be careful.

At least in the immediate future it will probably be a level of cricket between A team level and test cricket as far as standard so in that regard it could help BD cricket improve its youngsters a bit better. Though I wouldn't count on it lasting that long because of the improvement we've seen from these two teams in the last 10 years, they may improve rapidly.
Afghanistan has potential. Ireland i think will be another kenya once the O Briens and Porterfields retire
Old June 24, 2017, 11:02 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Afghanistan has potential. Ireland i think will be another kenya once the O Briens and Porterfields retire
I think you'll see lots of aus,nz and eng domestic players play for Ireland
Old June 24, 2017, 11:07 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
I think you'll see lots of aus,nz and end domestic players play for Ireland
So, even Ireland will start beating us then?
Old June 24, 2017, 11:29 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
So, even Ireland will start beating us then?
forget Ireland..we might get beaten by afg..Rashid Khan will wreck havoc
Old June 24, 2017, 11:31 PM
Cricket Legend

I agree atm Bangladesh vs Afghanistan looks a good game on paper,Rashid Khan could trouble most countries.
Old June 25, 2017, 04:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
When Bangladesh plays against cricket teams like Pakistan, India and Sri Lanka who bear superb, powerful and long historical cricket lineage, it itself is a glorious, joyful moment for a Bangladeshi like myself. My Bangladesh cricket, next to these three giants of world cricket is an infant.
I know you mean well, and its refreshing to see such pleasantries in an internet forum, but lets not go overboard. Our country is young only in its current iteration. "Bangladeshi" cricket might be relatively young, but our lineage is the same as Indo/Pak. Prior to 71, Pak's cricket lineage was our lineage. And prior to 47, India's lineage was our lineage.

Bangladesh didn't get dropped from the sky in 1971 that we should have to concede everything prior to independence to the other two nations.
Old June 25, 2017, 05:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
By becoming full members, they have already avoided the same fate as Kenya. Now the question is can they avoid becoming the next Zimbabwe. I actually think Ireland has better prospects than AFG. Its now the second European full member (and only EU member), which would make it a very attractive option for the frustrated SA and Zim players who get screwed by quota requirements.
Old June 25, 2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockley
I agree atm Bangladesh vs Afghanistan looks a good game on paper,Rashid Khan could trouble most countries.
Specially the Aussies, knowing how ...they are playing against spin... I agree on that mate!