facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 20, 2005, 10:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv
Default Test 2 first day summary

Missed the first day? What happened?

Was Rasel really McGrath like for that over?
Was Shahadat swinging the ball?
Did ash really missed the catch?

Must have been fun last night for a little while.

I can't wait for Mashrafee, Rasel, Shahadat combo...

First hand accounts please:

Old September 20, 2005, 11:06 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Who cares!

Srilanka is 449/7 after the end of 1st day, that's all that matters. In this test, Murali will win M.O.M. award for his allround performance. Or if Srilanka declares tomorrow, then the match can be over within the 2nd day.
Old September 20, 2005, 11:19 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Silver lining... They will take us seriously in 2007 WC. Yes it was really fun for a while.
Old September 20, 2005, 11:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Quote:
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Who cares!

Srilanka is 449/7 after the end of 1st day, that's all that matters. In this test, Murali will win M.O.M. award for his allround performance. Or if Srilanka declares tomorrow, then the match can be over within the 2nd day.
We never expected a draw or even a 4 day match realistically. Taking it to the 4th day would be an achievement.

However, it looks like a much cherished long term 3 man pacer attack is on the horizon. If thats all we can take out of this tour it won't be a fruitless tour after all.

Hope. The cocoon is forming.

Edited on, September 20, 2005, 4:24 PM GMT, by pagol-chagol.
Old September 20, 2005, 11:34 AM
ODI Cricketer

"We shall never give up, never surrender"- oops sorry this wasn't meant for BD cricket. My bad!
Old September 20, 2005, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

yes, rasel was mcgrath like in that the first five deliveires in that over were all similar, whereas the last one was completely different, and the batsman got beaten by the change.

i remember one of mcgrath's overs where he pitched the first five very short, and all the batsman could do was either leave or duck. then the last one was pitched up on the off-stump, and....BANG!

the first five balls of the over that rasel got sangakkara out were moving away from the batsman. then the last one came in sharply, and sangakkara was simply baffled.

however, you can't really expect a pat on the back when, at the end of the day, your figures look something like 20-?-120-3.

all that matters in the end is that our guys got thrashed in a test match, that too partly by a pair of bowlers.
Old September 20, 2005, 11:55 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
however, you can't really expect a pat on the back when, at the end of the day, your figures look something like 20-?-120-3.
Must see the inability of the spinners and batting pitch. If the spinners had one of the 2 out early (say 80/5 or 100/5)it would have been different story. SL would have been ultra cautious. The runrate would be different. We would have a ball-game. Captain used the quickies too much and got hammered.
Old September 20, 2005, 12:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

rajib's first wicket over was amazing as well...his clean bowl of whoever, wasn't as impressive.

rasel was swinging the ball like crazy and rajib was moving it as well.

they looked amazing for about an hour.
Old September 20, 2005, 12:33 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

This is just like the 155/2 of the first test. A short magic to show we can play good if we feel/want/(not sure what causes it).

I wish we could make it happen for 5 days , not just one session.
Old September 20, 2005, 12:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Hai hai E ki holo ... E ki holo...

Is Vaas and Murali chucking with the bat also?

They should be banned from batting, atleast banned from hitting 6s.

Edited on, September 20, 2005, 5:56 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old September 20, 2005, 12:54 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Hai hai E ki holo ... E ki holo...

IfsVaas and Murali chucking with the bat also?

They should be banned from batting, atleast banned from hitting 6s.

Edited on, September 20, 2005, 5:49 PM GMT, by Fazal.
if they see out the fairly newish ball
i predict a Vass century and murali to get atleast 50 tomorrrow.
Old September 20, 2005, 01:21 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
Missed the first day? What happened?

Was Rasel really McGrath like for that over?
Was Shahadat swinging the ball?
Did ash really missed the catch?

Must have been fun last night for a little while.

I can't wait for Mashrafee, Rasel, Shahadat combo...

First hand accounts please:
Yes, we were on a roll. Russel and Shahdat were on fire. 4 wkts taken within 20 runs. Momentum was great. And then Ash missed Dilshan’s catch. He was not fast enough. Then hell breaks loose….

But, single handedly, we can’t fault Ash for the situation. SL was too good and they know how to keep cool even when the openers were gone one after another. To summarize, it was just bad luck for us. The team played better this time. Hope, we can show some Batting miracles today.
Old September 20, 2005, 01:23 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
Quote:
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Who cares!

We never expected a draw or even a 4 day match realistically. Taking it to the 4th day would be an achievement.

However, it looks like a much cherished long term 3 man pacer attack is on the horizon. If thats all we can take out of this tour it won't be a fruitless tour after all.

Hope. The cocoon is forming.
Hopefully Mashree+Rasel+Tapash/Shahadat/Nazmul can form a strong pace-trio in future.

But BATTINGWISE this tour is still one of the most pathetic tours/series. In the last few series... our batting side has clicked atleast a few times in the whole tour either in Tests or ODIs ... but not in this tour yet.
Old September 20, 2005, 02:01 PM
Club Cricketer

We still got tmoro to see what happens, im not holding my breath tho.
About today, is it me only but does anyone else think that Rafique is finished. From the first time i saw him, i always thought he couldnt spin the ball, not only did he prove that but he also proved he has NOO clue where to bowl....he was bloody embarassing.
Yeh yeh he's got the most wickets in Test matches for Bangladesh but bloody hell the commentators werent talking rubbish when they were saying he had a sh*te match!!!! I was very pleased with Shahadat, Rasel, Enamul and Aftab as well. Even tho. the seamers got smacked about, that was due to them being inexperienced and tired.
BTW...did you notice the embarasiing way Bdesh's heads fell during the match, we need to hire a psychologist to keep them on the ball, because at that point it was easy pickings for Sri Lanka.
But anyway even tho. im slightly disappointed im pleasantly optimistic of our future.
Old September 20, 2005, 02:29 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by fchud84
About today, is it me only but does anyone else think that Rafique is finished. From the first time i saw him, i always thought he couldnt spin the ball, not only did he prove that but he also proved he has NOO clue where to bowl....he was bloody embarassing.
:duh:
Just in the last test match he took his 6th 5-wicket in an innings and you get so diappointed on him just because he failed to do well in a very much grassy first day test pitch?!! Dont' forget that 'spnning the ball' and 'taking wickets' are not exactly the same thing. And today's conditions were not exactly very suitable to judge any spinners performance.
Old September 20, 2005, 03:16 PM
Cricket Sage

Test 2 first day summary

I guess picture tells the whole story....
Old September 20, 2005, 03:31 PM
Club Cricketer

Let me re-iterate...i said this thought has been in my mind for a while, not just after one innings. Just as the commentators have said, Rafique got his five wickets in the last innings not due to superb bowling, but due to the fact that the longevity of his spells were ound to bring wickets eventually, just as Manjrekar said, he got more wickets than anyone because he bowled way more than anyone.
Now in terms of the difference of spinning and taking wickets i think your on your own little planet, because not at one time did i comment on Rafique taking wickets as a problem, i commented on him not being able to 'spin' the ball as a spinner, and that has been evident in the last test and in particular this test, to the extent when even the commentators were commenting on getting rid of Rafique and using Enamel as he can spin the ball.
On the point expressed about judging spinners on the condition of the pitch, fair enough yes i agree with you i should have put that into my previous post, but no i dont agree with you when you say you cant judge a spinners performance JUST because of the pitch. Enamel came out of the first innings with his head held high, he bowled a good line and length most of the time, imparted spin despite the conditions and played well, this is evident in the commentary today as well, all the commentators commented on how pleased and optimistic they were from Enamel's performance, yet were totally dispondent to Rafique's performance. So the way a spinner bowled in hard conditions as today says as much about the person as a player, and as in my previous post, im delighted and optimistic about Enamel's future but in my opinion Rafique isnt very good. He didnt know what line to bowl as an 'experienced' 35 year old, and just recollect the comments made by the commentators....'he is a ODI bowler not a test bowler', 'how can he suffer with loss of confidence after taking a 5-wicket haul', 'he is a negative bowler', 'im very disappointed with Rafiques bowling...wrong line and length...doesnt seem to know what he is doing'.
Old September 20, 2005, 04:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Fazal,

I like your pic. But you should smile when the photographer says "Cheese"

And you'd better get a haircut before a cuckoo lays her eggs
Old September 20, 2005, 04:28 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
Originally posted by fchud84
Let me re-iterate...i said this thought has been in my mind for a while, not just after one innings. Just as the commentators have said, Rafique got his five wickets in the last innings not due to superb bowling, but due to the fact that the longevity of his spells were ound to bring wickets eventually, just as Manjrekar said, he got more wickets than anyone because he bowled way more than anyone.
Now in terms of the difference of spinning and taking wickets i think your on your own little planet, because not at one time did i comment on Rafique taking wickets as a problem, i commented on him not being able to 'spin' the ball as a spinner, and that has been evident in the last test and in particular this test, to the extent when even the commentators were commenting on getting rid of Rafique and using Enamel as he can spin the ball.
On the point expressed about judging spinners on the condition of the pitch, fair enough yes i agree with you i should have put that into my previous post, but no i dont agree with you when you say you cant judge a spinners performance JUST because of the pitch. Enamel came out of the first innings with his head held high, he bowled a good line and length most of the time, imparted spin despite the conditions and played well, this is evident in the commentary today as well, all the commentators commented on how pleased and optimistic they were from Enamel's performance, yet were totally dispondent to Rafique's performance. So the way a spinner bowled in hard conditions as today says as much about the person as a player, and as in my previous post, im delighted and optimistic about Enamel's future but in my opinion Rafique isnt very good. He didnt know what line to bowl as an 'experienced' 35 year old, and just recollect the comments made by the commentators....'he is a ODI bowler not a test bowler', 'how can he suffer with loss of confidence after taking a 5-wicket haul', 'he is a negative bowler', 'im very disappointed with Rafiques bowling...wrong line and length...doesnt seem to know what he is doing'.
Yes, I agree. I also heard the commentators say what you said here. He is a big dissapointment. He has become too much of a one day bowler. He consistently bowls on the leg for easy singles all the time. He has lost the ability to spin the ball or produce the ball that got him most his wkts in his career, the armer, the one that starightens after pitching. Without that, he is a just another bowler toiling away. Manjrekar was very right when he said that the number of overs that he balls, anyone would pick up wkts. I think we have to slowly reasses his spot in the team ( test..as in ODI his trade will still remain effective ), specially when we will go with only one spinner. This is not new trend. He has been on a downward slide for a year now. And, I say this, keeping in mind, what he has meant to us over the years. Age catches up quickly and when it does its a sudden decline. His movements in the field are also slow. I have no question as to why Enamul will not be a very good bowler in years to come. He has the tools to back himself up and with age, he will mature and learn. Growing pains are part of every young bowler. Its not too far away when he will become the no.1 spin option.
Old September 20, 2005, 05:09 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Enamul Sylhet's Pride! Whatever happend to the other sylhetis of the Bd team? Hope they are doing alright and making a push for the upcoming series.
Old September 20, 2005, 07:12 PM
Test Cricketer

wont be satisfied with anything less than 350 from our batsmen. We must make them bat again.

This bd team takes my emotions to new horizons
Old September 20, 2005, 07:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

aosaif you are right...we must avoid follow on at any and all costs
Old September 20, 2005, 07:46 PM
Cricket Guru

we will be loosing in two and half days. period. No way to avoid innings defeat. Ball will start turning and lankan bowlers will take 20 wkts closing their eyes. Our batsmen will be out both days before lunch and thus will prove to media that we are the worst team in test cricket.

Edited on, September 21, 2005, 12:46 AM GMT, by SS.
Old September 20, 2005, 09:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
yes, rasel was mcgrath like in that the first five deliveires in that over were all similar, whereas the last one was completely different, and the batsman got beaten by the change.

i remember one of mcgrath's overs where he pitched the first five very short, and all the batsman could do was either leave or duck. then the last one was pitched up on the off-stump, and....BANG!

the first five balls of the over that rasel got sangakkara out were moving away from the batsman. then the last one came in sharply, and sangakkara was simply baffled.
Carbon copy of Gillespie to Lara, Melbourne 2000.
Anyone?
Old September 20, 2005, 09:22 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

I will have to echo the general opinion expressed about Rafique's performance. Since his negative line and length have been discussed in detail here I will just comment on his (in my eyes) approach. He often says that he doesn't think much about his game. His game plan out there is go and play according to batsmen and situation i.e. more of an ad hoc approach. And this lack of a plan really showed on T2D1. He did not bowl according to the (correct) off-side field Bashar set for him. Instead being his own man, he insisted on bowling at the batsmen's pads. It was quite sad watching him fire every other ball into the batsmen's pads hoping for that LBW. The batsmen kept milking him for singles, and regularly flicking him through midwicket, and executing the sweep shot. Occasionally he would attack the off-stump and flight the ball but go right back to his negative line as soon as he got hit. Test cricket is about mental toughness and also executing properly laid plans with patience. Rafique didn't display any of those. I think rafique could do with some competition for his position. He has been considered the number one spinner, and an automatic selection for a while now. Perhaps, the management should let him know that if he continues along these lines that will change. Spinners mature late, and as such it would be a shame if we lose Rafique now. I really believe he has a year or two left still. But he needs to assess his game and make some changes to his approach. If he doesn't we should look to other spinners as replacement options.