facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 15, 2005, 11:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater
Default Stand up for and support Bangladesh cricket

The topic of the Cricinfo poll at the moment is about Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and the two test tier system

Cricinfo Poll

Old September 15, 2005, 11:36 PM
Club Cricketer

Yes, every member of banglacricket should register with cricinfo and fill out the poll. Please Vote against two tier system. Vote against making test cricket a closed and exclusive club. Vote against any notion of stripping test status from BD and Zim.

If all the members vote against their "alleged" notion, then surely they wont be able to ignore it in their future articles and will have to give it due recognition.
Old September 15, 2005, 11:49 PM
ODI Cricketer

A two-tier system will kill test cricket, apart from hitting teams like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

Cricket should be a truly global sport, encouraging more teams to play test cricket.

China has taken to the sport recently and with their natural skills, they'll be a power in cricket in just a few years. (They took to rugby just less than five years ago and now they are quite good. In the 12-nation seven-a-side rugby tournament held in Kandy, Sri Lanka last week, they came second only to Japan and South Korea.)

There must be many other countries who would do well in cricket. They should not be discouraged.

Edited on, September 16, 2005, 4:50 AM GMT, by abherath.
Old September 15, 2005, 11:52 PM
Test Cricketer

Rugby seems to be a very popular sport in SL of all the sub-continental nations. It is not played in BD or Pakistan as far as I know. In India there may be a small following. Is this because of SL's school system and the more intact British legacy that prevails there?
Old September 16, 2005, 12:26 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by mwrkhan
Rugby seems to be a very popular sport in SL of all the sub-continental nations. It is not played in BD or Pakistan as far as I know. In India there may be a small following. Is this because of SL's school system and the more intact British legacy that prevails there?
I think it is just the love for the game. Somehow, rugby too has got entrenched in Sri Lanka, just like cricket.

Rugby is a fast moving contact sport. The objective of the game is to infiltrate the opponents territory, run past their try (goal) line and place the ball on the ground to score a 'try' for 5 points; then you get to convert it to a 'goal' by kicking the ball between the two vertical posts and over the horizontal post of the goal that looks like an H, to earn two additional points. You run with the ball in your hands and pass it backwards to your mates, when challenged by opponents. You could also kick the ball forward for you or a team mate to run forward and collect - you can't just pass it forward. You tackle an opponent running with the ball by 'flying' at him and grabbing him, bringing him crashing to the ground !!! If there is a melee for the ball, then a 'scrum' is formed where players from the two sides bend over the ball, a few players of each team holding each other in a semi circle trying to push the opponents back so that the ball would appear behind themselves for a team mate to pick it up and pass to another team member to run with it.

It is like a mini-war, lasting over two halves of 45 mts each. Very nice spectator sport.

Since Bangladesh is very good at soccer, I am sure rugby would catch on there, if introduced.
Old September 16, 2005, 12:37 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by mwrkhan

Yes you are right. Cricket and Rugby are two sports that the British introduced to the many missionary schools they founded in SL. Thus schools like S.Thomas' College and Trinity College have more British traditions than even some modern day British public schools. But not all schools in SL are like this. The two schools mentioned above have traditionally been for the elite of society. Kumar Sangakkara is from Trinity College, Kandy - and it shows.

SL has about 10 such prestigious boy's schools located mainly in Colombo and Kandy. But there are other non-prestigious schools that are much better education-wise than these highy sought after private boy's schools.

Its all to do with values of society I guess.
Old September 16, 2005, 12:58 AM
Test Cricketer

Oh! I like rugby too. Big NZ fan.
Old September 16, 2005, 01:13 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by AussieBloke
Yes, every member of banglacricket should register with cricinfo and fill out the poll. Please Vote against two tier system. Vote against making test cricket a closed and exclusive club. Vote against any notion of stripping test status from BD and Zim.

If all the members vote against their "alleged" notion, then surely they wont be able to ignore it in their future articles and will have to give it due recognition.
On the other hand....CrackInfo has been running these polls since the beginning of the univers! Every now and then they come up with such polls.. but they are not really the contolling authority of cricket. I remember CrackInfo running THIS VERY SAME POLL just before the last major ICC meeting where Bangladesh Issue was a strong agenda.

We should.. once and for all... stop this 'Test Status Stripping Panic' in our own minds. And the team needs to seriously forget that defending their test status by just some occassional ODI victory is not what they are out there to do. The need to start commanding the game (tests) more and more with every series.

Lets stop worrying about the Test Status thing. ICC's major headache in the current world is how to keep cricket alive... and that calls for more expansion of the game in all forms of it ... not reducing its sphere by stripping off some countries.

My personal observation say that these type of disturbing news/polls/comments only serve the purpose of conservative minds. New Test nations like us need to have a little bit more nerve & confidence against such criticisms. Because getting too much concerned about what is being said by the 'unsympathetic' part of the media will only lower the standard of our team's performance.

Edited on, September 16, 2005, 6:17 AM GMT, by Ahmed_B.
Old September 16, 2005, 01:23 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by James90
The topic of the Cricinfo poll at the moment is about Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and the two test tier system

Cricinfo Poll
BTW.. the link doesn't take to the cricinfo poll a about bangladesh anymore. Its showing something about Ashes right now.
Old September 16, 2005, 01:43 AM
Club Cricketer

Actually this is not paranoia or panic. Regardless of who controls international cricket, people do read cricinfo articles. If the cricinfo staff, armed with latest poll that says that 70% people supported stripping test status from the minnows, write articles bashing teams like BD and Zim, then that does have a simmering negative effect. Yes, the debate will keep on going until we start performing but at least for the time being we can stem the flow of criticism.

Guess how Maradona was voted the best footballer of the planet alongside Pele? His supporters voted online. Besides it doesnt harm participating in the poll if we have time on our hand. The team can do their part, as fans we can do ours. At least thats what I think!

Edited on, September 16, 2005, 6:44 AM GMT, by AussieBloke.
Old September 16, 2005, 07:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Quote:
Originally posted by Ahmed_B
BTW.. the link doesn't take to the cricinfo poll a about bangladesh anymore. Its showing something about Ashes right now.
That would be right. I found the Bangladesh poll by following the link for the Ashes XI.

Abherath had the right idea of rugby. Except after a tackle a ruck or mall is formed and they don't so much hold each other as they do try to "clear them out"
Old September 16, 2005, 07:55 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I can't find the poll! I have registered but can't find the poll in the Cricinfo site. Can someone give me the direct link plz?
Old September 17, 2005, 12:00 AM
ODI Cricketer

We are always standing up and supporting our team.In it's glory days as well as hay days.

There is a funny side of this too.We have to stand up and support .. do not even thinking of taking a short break.Last time I took a short break and Ash was gone.

I f you take a sleep break 2/152 -188 all out.

As a BD supporter we have to be vigilent 24/7, 365 days.
Old September 17, 2005, 12:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Okay;... How many times does it take one to screw a light bulb? How many times do we have to go through this discussion about two-tier test system? Do you need to beat the dead horse more?
All I can say is...

"I aint voting cause I aint buyin this cr%^*I("
Old September 17, 2005, 09:10 AM
Test Cricketer

i am sick of BD's pathetic batting and bowlers who get slammed all across the stadium.....

thought i might find some consolation in supporting my 2nd favourite team australia, even they have gone down the drain to the team (england) i hate above all.....
Old September 17, 2005, 10:26 AM
Cricket Sage

Stand up for and support Bangladesh cricket

I am waiting for one full day to support the team... the line is not moving .... and the link is not working... I am tired ... what should I do? Should I quit or patiently wait in the line few more hours?
Old September 19, 2005, 10:05 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Stand up for and support Bangladesh cricket

I am waiting for one full day to support the team... the line is not moving .... and the link is not working... I am tired ... what should I do? Should I quit or patiently wait in the line few more hours?
Apply some oinment on your knees, get hold of a cruch, and patiently wait You will see the end of the tunnel.