facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 19, 2019, 01:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Cigarettes are just as bad or worse but they don't alter the mind like EtOH. But presence or absence of alcohol isn't a factor at all in the general development of a country.

BD's problem is overpopulation without the necessary high tech economy in order to offset for such a high density population. Garment industry will only take us so far. UAE and Qatar don't have high tech either, forget about competing with the Europeans, they aren't even as tech savy as Turkey or Iran. But they realized that they could diversify their economy around other more easy to obtain things like the financial, entertainment, transportation, and tourism sectors. MBS is attempting to copy the UAE/Qatar model in Saudi but it remains to be seen how successful he will be given UAE and Qatar have already captured the market share in the region and KSA has myriad political factors at play to boot. Saudis may be 20 years too late to the party.

I don't disagree with anything you said regarding developing other sectors. But I also don't want Islamic laws in the country and I want as many options as possible in the shelves of stores. Hence, alcohol should be made freely available for those who want to drink it. One more consumption good in the economy will do it good. If you want to start regulating goods that do social harm, then you must be fair to all products. And that is an idea that is just wrong to begin with, and I absolutely do not want to go down that path. Rather I want to reverse the current blockages that we have in having these goods. Alcohol, other drugs too, legalize and commercialize asap!

All around Bd, I can go to the cornerstore and get a six pack. I can do it in Burma, in SL, in India and in Nepal. And I have. But I cannot do it in Bd. Because of some dumb societal rule enforced by long tentacles of Islam.

Old January 19, 2019, 01:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque

Also, deeply sorry to those who are offended, but de-islamization must happen. One must be able to get liquor in corner stores, and all the loud azans need to stop (Noise pollution).
I think you want to be offensive not really sorry . I used to think somewhat highly of you when it comes to discussion of individuality. You disappoint me the more u write. There is nothing wrong with ur idea of "de islamization" , separation of state and religion , thoughts have merit. But many of ur posts are indeed insensitive to someone who might be a believer (not to me) .

Let me explain how I usually pick up certain bias . You want to ban azaan because of noise pollution but u didn't mention of constant traffic noise pollution of Dhaka . Which causes more noise pollution u think ?

U can purchase liquor in Bangladesh since u have a foreign passport fyi . prostitution is also legal in BD . You are bringing problem which are not problems . Each country has its own identity and I believe in the preservation of that identity . Religion is not important to me but culture is .. I don't care if my sister or daughter pray or not ..but I do care if she smokes or drinks .. because culturally I believe from abstinence of it .. same with premarital sex .

I know u love ur progressive India but they are also very similar in regards to drinking smoking and premarital sex specially for girls ... so u see it's not Islam that suppressing women . And ur definition of freedom is brainwashed version ... partying /= freedom .
Old January 19, 2019, 02:24 AM
Cricket Legend

^ And what about being insensitive to the non-believer? Anyway, stick to the issues, we won't get anywhere trying to guess each other's motive. And I personally hate the habit of looking past the message and trying to paint the messenger a certain way.

So the issue is: I think liquor should be introduced to the market basket. People should have as many options when they go to grocery store, supermarket, etc. And to ban one thing on the basis of religion is wrong and backwards, especially when all of Bd's neighbors allow it.

If you do not fight the Islamic laws, do you know what is going to happen? More such laws may be introduced. Would you like blasphemy laws being introduced to Bd a la Pakistan? No. So then, do the right thing, and allow free market products to permeate.
Old January 19, 2019, 03:33 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
^ And what about being insensitive to the non-believer? Anyway, stick to the issues, we won't get anywhere trying to guess each other's motive. And I personally hate the habit of looking past the message and trying to paint the messenger a certain way.

So the issue is: I think liquor should be introduced to the market basket. People should have as many options when they go to grocery store, supermarket, etc. And to ban one thing on the basis of religion is wrong and backwards, especially when all of Bd's neighbors allow it.

If you do not fight the Islamic laws, do you know what is going to happen? More such laws may be introduced. Would you like blasphemy laws being introduced to Bd a la Pakistan? No. So then, do the right thing, and allow free market products to permeate.
If you vouch for Hindutva and returning to Dharmic roots for India, why should Bangladesh go for aggressive de-Islamization? In India to this day, there are different civil laws based on religion for different religious groups.
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Old January 19, 2019, 03:39 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
^ It's called vision. You can pat yourself in the back, but if you want to separate from the south asian pack, then give people dignity of labor, and start thinking about some sort of welfare system, at least for the poorest of the poor. Develop this mindset, and you shall break free from the trajectory that was already supposed to happen given the large number of working age people.
I agree with this observation. It seems AL has successfully sold the unnoyon narrative. And people swallowed it.

We should never aim for mediocrity. We should always aim for the best. Shommanjonok porajoy er chintai osommanjonok. When it comes to politics, what we need is bold vision and revolutionary ideas like that of Bernie Sanders, not Obama-Clinton's milk-toast incrementalism. How did Singapore go to the top? How did Japan and Germany fight back after the decimation of WWII? How did South East Asian nations like Malaysia and Thailand develop so quickly? We should benchmark our self against them and not against the likes of Pakistan and Nepal.
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Old January 19, 2019, 08:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
^ And what about being insensitive to the non-believer? Anyway, stick to the issues, we won't get anywhere trying to guess each other's motive. .
Ok stop being annoying. You brought up sensitivities not me. Regarding being insensitive to non-believers I don't understand your point. No matter how a*&hole of a person i can be, i have never in my life been insensitive toward any religious or non religious persons belief system. Whther u encuntered others shouldn't matter how u carry yourself.

Your topic of liquur in context of Bangladesh is pretty naaive I think. In united states there is ban on recreational drugs - its not due to religious reasons. US carries its own identity how lax certain laws should be. Bangladesh is no different. I do not support widespread alcohol legalization in BD and I drink on occasion - this is from nonreligion pov. Your thinking is very tunneled without understanding BD culture.

U wanna drink stay in Canada. Also as i mentioned, there are plenty of alcohol available in BD legally can be purchased with your canadian passport... Go nuts.!!

Quote:
this sentence of yours make ZERO sense. Bangladesh is a Muslim Majority country that caters to its population but constitution is not driven by sharia law. It's currently dictated by Hasina law. I don't see u getting worked up about that. Learn to analyze the bigger threat. you can disappear for talking about Ms sheikh. YES!! get that throught ur head first.

yes Radical islam is a threat however that i will agree with. And please don't answer those brainwashed replies - there is only islam - it's all radical.. No it's not. you are just being an intolerant prick becauze loud azaan bother u that last 3 mins - not the constant amplified truck horn sound 24/7.
Old January 19, 2019, 09:46 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

@Roey Haque

Putting your ignorant idea of a particular religion in every other non cricketing thread and judge a whole bunch of people because they don't follow your standard. That's your new agenda now?

Go read the forum rules and try to abide by those while posting.
Old January 19, 2019, 10:01 AM
Cricket Legend

^I read that other thread u cleaned up where Rifat got worked up. People do not realize when it comes to religion a certain decorum is expected. Any educated forum (American) - a ban would be served. jobs would also be lost in the west. Even many of current platform like youtube/google, roku ban extreme intolerant views. And these are main stream voice in a free speech country that are being filtered because of the inappropriate content. Free speech doesn't mean you can be disrespectful toward others.

amazon recently banned selling of floor mat with Quranic verse/Allah written on it because of complaints that it's disrespectful.. it doesn't mean amazon is caving to Islam/Sharia Laws. it only means they are cognizant of sensitivities of others belief system - no matter how ridiculous it may appear to someone who doesn't follow that belief system.

I get surprised how offensive ppl can get against other religion. I don't know if it's the media, lack of proper thinking, etiquette...maybe lack of self respect.
Old January 19, 2019, 02:53 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

This is a great find and dig, Mufi. Thank you for this very positive and informative thread.
Those numbers are really inspiring and uplifting.
Waterworld or not, Bangladesh is here to stay!
Old January 19, 2019, 03:17 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Quote:
All is okay, but you need to give people dignity of labor either through higher wages or having a social safety net. Till that happens, all these improvements really won't mean anything.

Also, deeply sorry to those who are offended, but de-islamization must happen. One must be able to get liquor in corner stores, and all the loud azans need to stop (Noise pollution).

Enforcing such changes will catapult Bd into a truly a free place to live.
This post is an utter disgrace! 95% of the 170 million people of Bangladesh including our prime minister listen to the azans throughout the day - a lot of them do if not asleep, while at work, at school, and at play.

I am most offended and hurt by this comment today. This is a complete disgrace in the sense of attacking, insulting and blatantly offending a billion people's inner faith and spirituality.
The meaning of azaan is calling for greater unity of all of mankind - "Come, unite for the greatness of your God! come, unite for the benefit of all mankind..."
When you die, maybe, you may not have a Janazaa or even want one. But I can tell that when your mother or father die, unless they already had passed on, there will be a janazaa, where some/I (if I am present) shall bade their souls good-bye with a heart-felt azaan followed by a prayer!
Azaan is also what I/we, the people of Islamic faith in Bangladesh and many around the world greet a newborn by whispering the words in the newly born's ears at the request of her/his parents - so that the child is blessed and welcomed into the world, among other creations with the sound of the words of humility and complete submission, so that she or he knows that he or she is not alone in this world (the child does not know his or her mother yet, but the azaan confirms in his/her ears that there is the greatest all ambience and the most sublime, the kindest, his/her Creator, the 'Creator' is around and he/she is not forgotten, meaning not just thrown into the earth, wind and fire!

You want to drink, you can drink, as long as you have money in your pocket. Alcohol consumption is legal in Bangladesh. If you have problem with your physical surrounding and relatives about you drinking, take it out on them and man up and face them. Do not offend me or anyone else here by badmouthing azaan.
You write in a thread of Bangladesh's economic progress and out of nowhere insults the deep inner faith of your fellow humans, whether you share that faith or not. You don't like azaan, put your headphones on and ignore the sound.

Islam oppresses women??? No, individual scum in various societies oppresses women, groups and tribes may oppress women AND people like YOU oppress, offend and en-cage women, day in and day out by being a male and making decisions when she can or not abort her fetus! I can listen to azaan and still stand by all the women that have full control over their bodies and reproductive organs!. A woman can and should be able to choose when and if she chooses to abort! It IS HER body, her choice!@
Islam oppresses women??? I have news for you, look around you, you live in on the largest republics in the modern world and 95% of its people's faith is 'Al-Islam' and it is governed and lead by a woman!

I can go on and on about comments that I have read that I found offending, but a lot of them could be taken as jokes, maybe, I do not know. But this environment here cannot be poisoned with childish garbage and filth at will. Not everything is Con-mushfiquer etc. etc. and all those.
This is a private forum and one of the fundamental rules of this forum is about being courteous and 'kind' to others. Your comments (actions) here are hurting a lot of people and your comments come out as extremely uncivilized. I remember you once referring to Sher-e Bangla A. K. Fazlul Haque (your name sake) and the great Sultan of Mysore, please think and live by those greats that you and I both admire.

Last edited by bujhee kom; January 19, 2019 at 05:10 PM..
Old January 19, 2019, 04:35 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
This is a great find and dig, Mufi. Thank you for this very positive and informative thread.
Those numbers are really inspiring and uplifting.
Waterworld or not, Bangladesh is here to stay!
You are welcome Zaved bhai. Yes we have plenty of problems and issues to work on BUT I think we have made some good progress in the last 2 decades.

I am not attributing this to Hasina or Zia. The country moved ahead despite of them and not because of them.

NGOs, woman empowerment, private sectors, and strong civic sense played a major part.
Old January 19, 2019, 06:38 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Unfortunately

https://www.jugantor.com/todays-pape...A7%80%E0%A7%9F

খালি সম্পদ বানালেই হয় না, এর সুষঠু বিতরণ ও দরকার।
Old January 19, 2019, 07:06 PM
Cricket Legend

I kept it to economics and Islam. I was making the case for liquor to be allowed on the basis of a greater market basket, already said so. And noise pollution is an externality that should be dealt with. IDumb, incessant horns is also something I hate. But the same goes for the Azan. Please try not to be so offended, just because I picked two examples from one religion. I could have picked 3, wouldn't make a difference to the individual points. You are reading into it too much by trying to guess too much what I am thinking, just reply to the points. I never go after people on here, just ideas or celebrities. I kept it to Islam, while Rifat was worried about my "hereafter", before it was all cleaned up. But you didn't make any noise about that, did you now? I don't expect you to, but don't come at me unnecessarily.
Old January 19, 2019, 07:10 PM
Banned for 6 months

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

I stopped reading when he said “loud azaans need to stop”
Just because you might not be on the same page. But the 90% majority can’t be denied. It is what it is. If anyone else don’t like it thats their problem.
Old January 19, 2019, 10:51 PM
Cricket Sage

Just finished watching Hindi movie Bazaar in Netflix, depicts almost a similar story what happened to our Share market right after current government first came to power. They repeated the same when they took over again.

You talk about development and mega projects, then start listing all the social deterioration and civil degradation happened. The movie shows how media doctoring can be used against or for a propaganda. Exactly what this government does.
Old January 20, 2019, 12:31 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Roey, a lot of the flak you are getting center's around your tone. Almost everything you said can be stated without changing the meaning in a more deferential tone. Almost everyone here agrees with you on some of your points, yet your posts consistently lack the respect that you feel is due. Its the tone.

Substantively, you are failing to acknowledge that religious supremacism always neglects their respective non-believers. All religions essentially teach the same moral truths, and none of them argue for violence or intolerance. But religious supremacism is not religion - though often conflated. Islam is not Islamism, Hinduism is not Hindutva, Judaism is not Zionism, and Christianity is not Evangelism. But just like Islamism makes up rules for non-believers, Hindutva (beef bans), Zionism (building permits), Evangelism (prayer in school) does as well.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 20, 2019, 02:29 AM
Test Cricketer

গরিব মানুষের বসবাসে বিশ্বে পঞ্চম বাংলাদেশ
Excerpts:

Quote:
অতিধনী বৃদ্ধির হারের দিকে বাংলাদেশ বিশ্বে প্রথম। ধনী বৃদ্ধির হারে তৃতীয়। দ্রুত মানুষের সম্পদ বৃদ্ধি বা ধনী হওয়ার যাত্রায় বাংলাদেশ এগিয়ে থাকলেও অতিগরিব মানুষের সংখ্যাও কিন্তু কম নয়। অতিগরিব মানুষের সংখ্যা বেশি এমন দেশগুলোর মধ্যে বাংলাদেশের অবস্থান পঞ্চম। বাংলাদেশে ২ কোটি ৪১ লাখ হতদরিদ্র মানুষ আছে।
Quote:
ক্রয়ক্ষমতার সমতা অনুসারে (পিপিপি) যাঁদের দৈনিক আয় ১ ডলার ৯০ সেন্টের কম, তাঁদের হতদরিদ্র হিসেবে বিবেচনা করা হয়। এটা আন্তর্জাতিক দারিদ্র্যরেখা হিসেবে বিবেচিত হয়। বিশ্বব্যাংক ২০১৬ সালের মূল্যমান ধরে পিপিপি ডলার হিসাবে করেছে। বাংলাদেশে প্রতি পিপিপি ডলারের মান ধরা হয়েছে সাড়ে ৩২ টাকা। সেই হিসাবে বাংলাদেশের ২ কোটি ৪১ লাখ লোক দৈনিক ৬১ টাকা ৬০ পয়সাও আয় করতে পারেন না।
Quote:
নিম্ন মধ্যম আয়ের দেশের মানুষকে দারিদ্র্যসীমার ওপরে উঠতে হলে দৈনিক কমপক্ষে ৩ দশমিক ২ পিপিপি ডলার আয় করতে হবে। বিশ্বব্যাংক বলছে, এভাবে হিসাব করলে বাংলাদেশে অতিগরিব মানুষের সংখ্যা বেড়ে দাঁড়াবে ৮ কোটি ৬২ লাখ। আর দারিদ্র্যের হার হবে ৫২ দশমিক ৯ শতাংশ। এর মানে হলো, টেকসইভাবে গরিবি হটাতে বাংলাদেশের প্রায় ৬ কোটি ২১ লাখ মানুষকে দ্রুত দৈনিক ৩ দশমিক ২ ডলার আয়ের সংস্থান করতে হবে। এই বিশাল জনগোষ্ঠী এখন ঝুঁকিতে আছে।
Quote:
বিশ্বব্যাংকের প্রতিবেদন অনুযায়ী, ভারতে সবচেয়ে বেশি ১৭ কোটি ৫৭ লাখ হতদরিদ্র আছে। ভারত ছাড়া বাংলাদেশের চেয়ে বেশি হতদরিদ্র মানুষ বসবাস করে নাইজেরিয়া, কঙ্গো ও ইথিওপিয়ায়। তালিকায় থাকা শীর্ষ ১০–এর অন্য ৫টি দেশ হলো তানজানিয়া, মাদাগাস্কার, কেনিয়া, মোজাম্বিক ও ইন্দোনেশিয়া।

বিশ্বব্যাংকের ঢাকা কার্যালয়ের মুখ্য অর্থনীতিবিদ জাহিদ হোসেন প্রথম আলোকে বলেন, আগে দারিদ্র্য কমানোর পূর্বশর্ত ছিল প্রবৃদ্ধি বাড়িয়ে দারিদ্র্য কমাতে হবে। দেশে ৬-৭ শতাংশ প্রবৃদ্ধিও হয়েছে। এত প্রবৃদ্ধি অর্জনের পর দেখা যাচ্ছে প্রবৃদ্ধি যেমন বেড়েছে, বৈষম্যও বেড়েছে। অন্যদিকে দারিদ্র্য হ্রাসের গতিও কমেছে। ২০৩০ সালের মধ্যে উচ্চ প্রবৃদ্ধি দিয়ে দারিদ্র্য নির্মূল করা যাবে, এটা ঠিক নয়। তাঁর মতে, প্রবৃদ্ধিতে গরিব মানুষের অংশগ্রহণ বাড়াতে হবে। গরিব মানুষের সম্পদ হলো পরিশ্রম। এই শ্রমের ব্যবহার নিশ্চিত করতে হবে। কৃষিতে উৎপাদনশীলতা বাড়িয়ে গরিব মানুষের মজুরি বাড়াতে হবে। আবার কৃষির বাইরের শ্রমবাজারে অংশগ্রহণের জন্য গরিব মানুষের শিক্ষা ও স্বাস্থ্যের ওপর নজর দিতে হবে।
Old January 20, 2019, 03:21 AM
Test Cricketer

When I left Bangladesh in 2004, less than 50% of the people had access to electricity. Now almost 15 years later, 92% of the people has access to the power grid. This is economic Progress.

In a country with a population of over 160 million people, 8% without electricity equates to over 1 crore people. So massive work still needs to be done to achieve 100% goal. That however does not mean that we have not progressed.

Economic progress also does not mean that we have NO challenges anymore, infact we have many challenges. We are still a corrupt country today, however the corruption has reduced considerably. There is still extreme poverty in Bangladesh but that is nothing compared to how it was couple of decades back.

It is important that we recognize both the challenges and the progress.
Old January 21, 2019, 10:03 PM
Cricket Sage

I do not know if it is money or huge difference in material wealth, people have become less friendly, more aggressive, rude and unkind over the last 30 years or so. During eighties and initial part of nineties, people will show empathy and try to help whether it causes you to let go something. They won't mind someone in distress on road, highways, neighbors, stranger in trouble if need some help it will be much easier to get.

We have geometrically large number of people now at any time outside but you cannot find that compassion anymore. In paddy field, by the river, in the river, swamp, sewer, water tank, soccer field, road, under the bridge finding a corpse has become a simple norm. Nobody is there to help a distressed or an accident victim to give a ride. The whole nation passing days with mistrust, one cannot trust his closest family, his government, his law enforcers, his friend, his boss, his subordinate, his media.

Remember that NSU student traveling in a bus from Chittagong. He got hurt while catching his bus after the jam cleared as he got down to get a breather. They threw him from a bridge alive. He died almost a day later lying their hoping someone will come to rescue him, hurt, handicap, heartbroken. Can you imagine the last minutes of his life? The Padma bridge or MegaRail had no value to him. Can you imagine the same scenes twenty years back?
Old January 24, 2019, 05:28 AM
Test Cricketer

Cost of economic progress - a very well researched article:

বড় অর্থনীতি, মেগা প্রকল্প ও হারিয়ে যাওয়া মানুষ

Quote:
পাশাপাশি আরও কিছু খবর দেখছি। পাঁচ বছরে পোশাকশ্রমিকদের বেতন বেড়েছে ১৫ থেকে ২০ টাকা। বেগুনের দাম কেজিতে দুই টাকা: কৃষক ঋণগ্রস্ত, কোল্ড স্টোরেজ নেই। গত ১২ বছরে ৩৬ হাজার প্রবাসী শ্রমিকের কফিন এসেছেন ঢাকায়।
If you do some math, it equals to more than 8 coffins of migrant workers per day.

The salary increase of garment workers after five years is 15-20 taka. Cruel joke, isn't it?

Quote:
এই ‘ট্রিকেল ডাউন’ বা চুইয়ে পড়া অর্থনীতির পক্ষে-বিপক্ষে একসময় ইকোনমিক টাইমসে বিতর্ক করতেন ভারতের দুই বিখ্যাত অর্থনীতিবিদ। জগদীশ ভগবতী বলতেন, প্রবৃদ্ধি বা জিডিপি বাড়লে রাষ্ট্রের সক্ষমতা তৈরি হয়, কর্মসংস্থান তৈরি হয়। অমর্ত্য সেন বললেন, শিক্ষা, স্বাস্থ্য, খাদ্য, পুষ্টি ও বিচারিক কাঠামোতে বিনিয়োগ না করে শুধু ওপরের দিকে সম্পদ গড়লে অর্থনীতিটা ওপরের দিকেই আটকে থাকে। এই বিতর্কের মাঝখানে যোগ দিয়েছিলেন আরেক ভারতীয় অর্থনীতিবিদ পার্থ দাসগুপ্ত। তিনি বললেন, সেন বা ভগবতী কেউ প্রাকৃতিক সম্পদের অপ্রতুলতার বিষয়টি সামনে আনেননি। সীমিত সম্পদের দেশে সর্বসাধারণের নদীনালা-বনভূমি-জলাশয়-কৃষিজমি বিপর্যস্ত করেই জিডিপির আকার বাড়ে। কাজেই এসব ভয়াবহ ক্ষতির হিসাব থাকতে হবে জিডিপিতে।

ভারতে ট্রিকেল ডাউন থিওরির অসারতা প্রমাণিত হয়েছে বহু বছর আগেই। দুই দশকে তিন লাখ কৃষকের আত্মহত্যা, কয়েক কোটি মানুষের উচ্ছেদ, শীর্ষ ধনীর তালিকায় বিশ্বে চতুর্থ আর ‘হাঙ্গার ইনডেক্স’-এ বিশ্বে ১০৩তম—এসব সীমাহীন বৈষম্যের পরিসংখ্যান প্রতিবছরই প্রশ্নবিদ্ধ করে ভারতের জিডিপিকে। আমাদের এখানে জিডিপি বাড়ছে, পাশাপাশি বেকারের সংখ্যাও দ্বিগুণ হয়েছে, আবার হু হু করে বড়লোকও বাড়ছে। একদিকে পরিসংখ্যান বলছে দারিদ্র্য কমছে, আরেক দিকে সীমিত সম্পদের দেশে কৃষকের জমি, রাষ্ট্রীয় ব্যাংকের টাকা আর প্রকল্প-বরাদ্দের একাংশ আত্মসাৎ করে, অর্থাৎ সম্পদের ‘জনগণের অংশটুকু’ চুরি করেই বড়লোক তৈরি হচ্ছে। একদিকে সবচেয়ে ধনী ৫ শতাংশের আয় বেড়েছে ৫৭ শতাংশ, অন্যদিকে সবচেয়ে গরিব ৫ শতাংশের আয় কমেছে ৫৯ শতাংশ (২০১১-১৬)!
Trickle down economy never works but unfortunately, we have embraced this time tested failed theory. Because nothing buys loyalty from the bureaucrats and the elites like trickle down economy.

Quote:
আর একেকটি মেগা প্রকল্পের উত্থানের পেছনে আছে ঘরবাড়ি, কৃষিজমি হারানো মানুষের একেকটি মেগা দুঃখ-উপাখ্যান। পায়রা বন্দর আর বিদ্যুৎকেন্দ্র করতে এখন পর্যন্ত সাড়ে সাত হাজার একর জমি অধিগ্রহণ হয়েছে। দীর্ঘ মেয়াদে উচ্ছেদ হবে ২০ হাজার মানুষ। বিদ্যুৎকেন্দ্রের জন্য কৃষকের পাকা ধানের খেতে বালু ভরাট করে শত শত মণ ধান নষ্ট করে জমি কেড়ে নেওয়ার ঘটনাও ঘটেছে১০। মহেশখালীর মাতারবাড়ীতে এলএনজি টার্মিনাল, সমুদ্রবন্দর, আর দুটি কয়লা প্রকল্প মিলিয়ে প্রায় ২০ হাজার একর কৃষিজমি হারিয়েছে কৃষক। দুই প্রকল্পের মাঝখানে আটকে পড়া ৭০ থেকে ৮০ হাজার মানুষও উচ্ছেদ-আতঙ্কে আছে১১। রামপাল কয়লা প্ল্যান্টের কারণে প্রায় তিন হাজার সংখ্যালঘু পরিবার১২ জমি হারিয়ে কে কোথায় হারিয়ে গেছে, সেই খবর কে রাখে। এসব এলাকার স্থানীয় লোকজনের সঙ্গে আলাপ করলেই বোঝা যায়, ক্ষতিপূরণের নামে কী অদ্ভুত প্রহসন চলে এই দেশে১৩। তার ওপর কায়েম হয়েছে ভয় ও ত্রাসের রাজত্ব। রামপাল, পায়রা, মাতারবাড়ী সবখানেই।
Quote:
এই তথ্য এখন কারও অজানা নয় যে এই মুহূর্তে বাংলাদেশে বিভিন্ন উন্নয়ন প্রকল্প/মহাসড়কের ব্যয় সারা পৃথিবীর মধ্যে শীর্ষে। ভারতে কিলোমিটারপ্রতি ১০ কোটি টাকায় নির্মিত হচ্ছে চার লেনের নতুন মহাসড়ক। চায়নাতে লাগছে ১৩ কোটি, ইউরোপে ২৮ কোটি১৮। আর এখানে দুই লেনের সড়ক চার লেন করতে গড়ে খরচ পড়ছে ৫৯ কোটি টাকা। ঢাকা-মাওয়া রুটের নির্মাণ খরচ ধরা হয়েছে ৯৫ কোটি টাকা১৯! অর্থাৎ ভারতের প্রায় ৯ গুণ! ইউরোপেরও তিন গুণ।
Highest cost, but cheapest quality. Story of development in Bangladesh.

Quote:
রূপপুর পারমাণবিক বিদ্যুৎকেন্দ্রটি খরচ কয়েক দফায় বেড়ে ১ লক্ষ ১৩ হাজার কোটি ছাড়িয়ে গেছে২০। অবিশ্বাস্য হলেও সত্যি যে এই বিদ্যুৎকেন্দ্রে নির্মাণের খরচ বাংলাদেশের মোট বাজেটের চার ভাগের এক ভাগ!
Quote:
এসব মহাখরুচে টার্মিনাল, মহাসড়ক আর বিদ্যুৎকেন্দ্রগু োর অবিশ্বাস্য খরচের দায়ভার কে নেবে? কে নেবে রাষ্ট্রীয় ব্যাংকগুলোর ৫৬ হাজার কোটি টাকা২২ খেলাপি ঋণের দায়? আর কে! আছে তো এক জনগণের পকেট। ১০ বছরে আট দফায় বেড়েছে বিদ্যুতের দাম। বেড়েছে কৃষকের সেচের খরচ। বেড়েছে ভ্যাট। গ্যাসের দাম ৪০০ টাকা থেকে বেড়ে হয়েছে ৭৫০ টাকা। মহাসড়ক আর সেতুগুলোতে একই অবস্থা। বুড়িগঙ্গা, কর্ণফুলী, রূপসা, পাকশী, মেঘনা-গোমতীসহ দেশের মোট ৫১টি সেতুতে বাড়তি টোল আদায় চলছে। কিছু ক্ষেত্রে টোল বেড়েছে ৭০০ ভাগ পর্যন্ত২৩। দক্ষিণ এশিয়ার সবচেয়ে ব্যয়বহুল ফ্লাইওভার তৈরি হয়েছে ঢাকায়২৪, কিন্তু গণপরিবহনের হাল শোচনীয়। আপাতদৃষ্টিতে মধ্য আয়ের দেশে এগুলো সামান্য ব্যয়বৃদ্ধির নমুনা। কিন্তু প্রতিবার শ্রমিক আন্দোলনগুলো চোখে আঙুল দিয়ে দেখিয়ে দেয়, ৭ শতাংশ জিডিপির দেশেও মাত্র কয়েক শ টাকার হেরফেরে কি হাল হয় শ্রমিক পরিবারগুলোর। তাহলে অর্থনীতি ৪১তম হোক বা ২৪ হোক, তাতে মানুষের লাভ কী?
Quote:
গত ১০ বছরে বাংলাদেশের ‘জিডিপি-গ্রোথ’ ৬ থেকে বেড়ে ৭ দশমিক ৫ শতাংশ হয়েছে। আইয়ুব খানের ‘গোল্ডেন ডেভেলপমেন্ট’-এর দশকেও পশ্চিম পাকিস্তানের জিডিপি বেড়েছিল ৩ দশমিক ১ থেকে ৬ দশমিক ৭ শতাংশ। সেই জেনারেলদের যুগেও অবকাঠামো-বাজেট বাড়ায় পূর্ব বাংলার জিডিপি ১ দশমিক ৭ শতাংশ থেকে বেড়ে ৪ শতাংশে পৌঁছেছিল২৫। ১১ বছরে আইয়ুবীও জিডিপির সেই সাংঘাতিক ‘উন্নয়নে’ মিলেছিল কি মুক্তি? ভালো ছিল কি পূর্ব বাংলা?
Quote:
অমর্ত্য সেন বলেছিলেন, জিডিপি রিফ্লেক্টস নোবডিজ রিয়ালিটি। জিডিপিতে কোনো মানুষের গল্প নেই। ইতিহাস সাক্ষী, বড় অর্থনীতির রসদ জোগাতে, মেগা প্রকল্পের জমি জোগাতে, বিদেশি ডলারের ‘সাপ্লাই’ বাড়াতে, স্বল্প আয়ের মানুষগুলো স্রেফ ‘কোরবানি’ হয়ে যায়। কেবল নিচের তলার মানুষের ঘাড়ে পা দিয়েই তৈরি হতে পারে পৃথিবীর ২৪তম বড় অর্থনীতি। এর অন্যথা সম্ভব না।
Sen was right.

But for the time being, let us all bask in the glory of unnoyoner joyar.
Old January 24, 2019, 12:16 PM
Test Cricketer

repost.. deleted
Old January 24, 2019, 12:42 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
পাঁচ বছরে পোশাকশ্রমিকদের বেতন বেড়েছে ১৫ থেকে ২০ টাকা৫। বেগুনের দাম কেজিতে দুই টাকা: কৃষক ঋণগ্রস্ত, কোল্ড স্টোরেজ নেই। গত ১২ বছরে ৩৬ হাজার প্রবাসী শ্রমিকের কফিন এসেছেন ঢাকায়। ঋণের বোঝা আর ভয়াবহ মানসিক চাপ বেশির ভাগ মৃত্যুর কারণ৬।
False informaton

Quote:
আমরা অর্থনীতিতে পড়েছি, অর্থনীতির আকার বাড়লে তার একাংশ নিচের দিকে ‘চুইয়ে’ পড়ে। কর্মসংস্থান তৈরি হয়। এই ‘ট্রিকেল ডাউন’ বা চুইয়ে পড়া অর্থনীতির পক্ষে-বিপক্ষে একসময় ইকোনমিক টাইমসে বিতর্ক করতেন ভারতের দুই বিখ্যাত অর্থনীতিবিদ। জগদীশ ভগবতী বলতেন, প্রবৃদ্ধি বা জিডিপি বাড়লে রাষ্ট্রের সক্ষমতা তৈরি হয়, কর্মসংস্থান তৈরি হয়। অমর্ত্য সেন বললেন, শিক্ষা, স্বাস্থ্য, খাদ্য, পুষ্টি ও বিচারিক কাঠামোতে বিনিয়োগ না করে শুধু ওপরের দিকে সম্পদ গড়লে অর্থনীতিটা ওপরের দিকেই আটকে থাকে। এই বিতর্কের মাঝখানে যোগ দিয়েছিলেন আরেক ভারতীয় অর্থনীতিবিদ পার্থ দাসগুপ্ত। তিনি বললেন, সেন বা ভগবতী কেউ প্রাকৃতিক সম্পদের অপ্রতুলতার বিষয়টি সামনে আনেননি। সীমিত সম্পদের দেশে সর্বসাধারণের নদীনালা-বনভূমি-জলাশয়-কৃষিজমি বিপর্যস্ত করেই জিডিপির আকার বাড়ে। কাজেই এসব ভয়াবহ ক্ষতির হিসাব থাকতে হবে জিডিপিতে।
Agree that GDP should not be the only criteria for development. The benefits of all the project does not always trickle down to the poor.
However Bangladesh has shown massive improvement in almost all economic indicators (not just GDP). Infact Bangladesh is one of the few countries that has managed to surpass its MDG (millennium development goal). Economic indicators that shows Bangladesh favorably includes, Average Age, Infant mortality, Women's participation in workforce, education, access to sanitation, access to food and shelter etc.

Quote:
পায়রা বন্দর আর বিদ্যুৎকেন্দ্র করতে এখন পর্যন্ত সাড়ে সাত হাজার একর জমি অধিগ্রহণ হয়েছে। দীর্ঘ মেয়াদে উচ্ছেদ হবে ২০ হাজার মানুষ৯। বিদ্যুৎকেন্দ্রের জন্য কৃষকের পাকা ধানের খেতে বালু ভরাট করে শত শত মণ ধান নষ্ট করে জমি কেড়ে নেওয়ার ঘটনাও ঘটেছে১০। মহেশখালীর মাতারবাড়ীতে এলএনজি টার্মিনাল, সমুদ্রবন্দর, আর দুটি কয়লা প্রকল্প মিলিয়ে প্রায় ২০ হাজার একর কৃষিজমি হারিয়েছে কৃষক। দুই প্রকল্পের মাঝখানে আটকে পড়া ৭০ থেকে ৮০ হাজার মানুষও উচ্ছেদ-আতঙ্কে আছে১১। রামপাল কয়লা প্ল্যান্টের কারণে প্রায় তিন হাজার সংখ্যালঘু পরিবার১২ জমি হারিয়ে কে কোথায় হারিয়ে গেছে, সেই খবর কে রাখে। এসব এলাকার স্থানীয় লোকজনের সঙ্গে আলাপ করলেই বোঝা যায়, ক্ষতিপূরণের নামে কী অদ্ভুত প্রহসন চলে এই দেশে১৩। তার ওপর কায়েম হয়েছে ভয় ও ত্রাসের রাজত্ব। রামপাল, পায়রা, মাতারবাড়ী সবখানেই।
I chuckled at this reporting. Not sure who is paying the journalist to make this up.

Payra
The author does not want any investment for the most underdeveloped region of Bangladesh ? Jobs will be lost and farmer will loose their land/shelter as a result? Not sure what the journalist is smoking.

Here are some of the other reports
পায়রা সমুদ্র বন্দরে ব্যাপক কর্মসংস্থানের আশা
পায়রা বন্দর ক্ষতিগ্রস্তদের বায়বহুল পুনর্বাসন

Matarbari and Rampal -
They are both located in very remote areas with little population density (the location was selected based on this criteria). I will be really surprised if the small number of local residents are not being properly relocated by the government. JICA is funding Matarbari so there is absolutely no chance that they will overlook this important factor.
Old January 24, 2019, 12:45 PM
Test Cricketer

বেতন বাড়ানোর মধ্যে রয়েছে শুভংকরের ফাঁকি

মজুরিকাঠামোতেই গলদ

মালিকের কৌশলে শ্রমিকের ক্ষোভ

খচখচ উসকানি আর নাকে ষড়যন্ত্রের গন্ধ
Old January 24, 2019, 08:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Whatever added economic benefits poor folks enjoy today is likely a result of natural progression. This probably would've happened regardless of party, AL or BNP. Taking into account inflation/increase in cost of goods, the improvement isn't very substantial either. From an economic perspective, the area where AL has separated itself from BNP is successful expansion of the middle class. In previous decades people mostly fell in one of these categories--poverty line, lower middle class, upper middle class and upper class. Middle class consisted of only a fraction of what it should've been. AL increased salaries of Govt and semi govt employees substantially and extended benefits such as auto loans and condo loans, the result of which is a much larger middle class. We still have ways to go before we can say it's large enough.
Old January 24, 2019, 09:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
Whatever added economic benefits poor folks enjoy today is likely a result of natural progression. This probably would've happened regardless of party, AL or BNP. Taking into account inflation/increase in cost of goods, the improvement isn't very substantial either. From an economic perspective, the area where AL has separated itself from BNP is successful expansion of the middle class. In previous decades people mostly fell in one of these categories--poverty line, lower middle class, upper middle class and upper class. Middle class consisted of only a fraction of what it should've been. AL increased salaries of Govt and semi govt employees substantially and extended benefits such as auto loans and condo loans, the result of which is a much larger middle class. We still have ways to go before we can say it's large enough.
i agree to your first point, but not the second. The term "fastest growing" economy gets thrown around quite a bit. But its easy to be fastest growing when youre at the very bottom, since the only way to go is up. case in point, some of the fastest growing economies today are in Africa. Expansion of middle class is also a natural byproduct of that growth - lead by private sector (garments), remittance, micro merchants - and not really AL doing anything different. increasing govt salaries is just a drop in the bucket.

But I do think AL provides more stability and confidence when it comes to FDI. FDI tripled under Hasinas reign. India, BD"s biggest partner, is def pro AL and I doubt we would the same inflow of Indian investments under BNP. More importantly, investors want to see long term stability, which Hasina has shown. Stability > democracy.

Part of me despises Hasina and her authoritarian regime, but under current circumstances, the alternative is just not an option imo. If she can continue to provide stability, attract FDI, and successfully leverage china vs india regional turf war to increased projects for BD, I will forgive her sins.