facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 13, 2019, 08:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio
Default World cup 2019 England Travel Logistics.

This thread is for our UK residents or those very familiar with the country to help others who are travelling in. Safe areas to stay close to city without breaking bank, places to visit, to eat anything and everything.

My question:

v India game is in Birmingham. Per google train travel between london and birminham is around 2 hours. Is it reasonable to just book your whole stay in London and take the train to the game and return after the game back to the city?

Or Do I need to book a hotel in birmingham too? is there anything worth exploring there?

Old May 13, 2019, 09:58 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

I do not think UK people are that outgoing like us. But worth a try.
Old May 13, 2019, 09:59 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

I am planning to take the train to Birmingham and come back to London on the same day.
Old May 13, 2019, 05:22 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Anyone who plays for BD!!

I can tell you there isn't much to do in Birmingham it is a large city however but as a person who lives in England I advise you to book your stay in London. Birmingham has a large south asian population one of the largest in the whole of England however as for things to do there are very good museums and a cadbury world aswell as a sea life centre. Birmingham was a major player in the industrial revolution so historic sites can be found there. But that's about it for Birmingham. Also do not book taxis book local or private taxis this will help you save money. Places to see are generally the countryside citys e.g blackpool or places like Manchester London places near London.
Old May 13, 2019, 05:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
This thread is for our UK residents or those very familiar with the country to help others who are travelling in. Safe areas to stay close to city without breaking bank, places to visit, to eat anything and everything.

My question:

v India game is in Birmingham. Per google train travel between london and birminham is around 2 hours. Is it reasonable to just book your whole stay in London and take the train to the game and return after the game back to the city?

Or Do I need to book a hotel in birmingham too? is there anything worth exploring there?
Definitely base yourself in London for the entire duration. However, might be worth booking hotel for a night in Birmingham just for gameday as it would be quite exhausting to come back after a full on day.
Old May 15, 2019, 08:42 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Mushfique, Soumya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehwar
Definitely base yourself in London for the entire duration. However, might be worth booking hotel for a night in Birmingham just for gameday as it would be quite exhausting to come back after a full on day.
Yeah..thats our grops' plan..i will be in UK for BD-Ind and Bd-pak matches..we have two nights stay at Birmingham pre and post nights..then come back to london for pak match..hope to connect with some people at the venue..
Old May 16, 2019, 12:11 AM
First Class Cricketer

Btw, buy advance train tickets if you can..really really cheap!
Old May 16, 2019, 08:25 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujon
Btw, buy advance train tickets if you can..really really cheap!
Where can I buy London to Edgbaston train tickets from?
Old May 16, 2019, 08:28 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

what's the best place to do currency exchange outside airport? I land in Gatwick airport inshAllah and I have to take national bus just to get to Taunton. so i would need British pounds right away but airport have terrible rates
Old May 16, 2019, 08:31 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
what's the best place to do currency exchange outside airport? I land in Gatwick airport inshAllah and I have to take national bus just to get to Taunton. so i would need British pounds right away but airport have terrible rates
Last time I was there, I did withdraw money from the ATM. The ATM transaction fee was reasonable if I can remember correctly. And they accept credit cards almost everywhere.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:24 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
nationalrail.com

I bought in mid april. Only 10 dollars per ride..its not gonna be as cheap now but still you should buy in advance if you want to save some.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:30 AM
Cricket Sage

^10 $ per ride!

Whow that is cheap.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:30 AM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Quote:
I don't think you can get a train from London direct to Edgbaston. You can get a train from London to Birmingham train station and then you should be able to get a bus specifically for cricket fans direct to the stadium outside the train station. Look out for the world cup volunteers who will direct you to the bus.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:31 AM
Cricket Sage

^No uber?
Old May 16, 2019, 10:46 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujon
nationalrail.com

I bought in mid april. Only 10 dollars per ride..its not gonna be as cheap now but still you should buy in advance if you want to save some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
I don't think you can get a train from London direct to Edgbaston. You can get a train from London to Birmingham train station and then you should be able to get a bus specifically for cricket fans direct to the stadium outside the train station. Look out for the world cup volunteers who will direct you to the bus.
Thanks to Both of you..
Old May 16, 2019, 12:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Quote:
https://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/r...d-destinations

I used to use them and could buy a train ticket for £7 at the counter. This gets you to the City Center at Moor Street station which is a 10 minute walk from the New Street station.

Edgbaston has a busy street beside it and traffic jams tend to happen so you need to factor that in when you are getting to the ground.

Now a few things you need to consider: the game starts at 10.30 am, and if you dont want to miss a thing you need to probably take a train around 7 am or earlier.

Another option you might want to consider is take a late night bus from London Victoria (nationalexpress or megabus), they take 4.5 hours so you sleep on the bus and it gets you early into Birmingham, where you can admire the Bull Ring and have breakfast and then go to the game in good time.

Its important what drinks you take into the ground as they wont let you take a drink of a competing brand. Selfie sticks are banned at many stadiums.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:09 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
https://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/r...d-destinations

Another option you might want to consider is take a late night bus from London Victoria (nationalexpress or megabus), they take 4.5 hours so you sleep on the bus and it gets you early into Birmingham, where you can admire the Bull Ring and have breakfast and then go to the game in good time.

Its important what drinks you take into the ground as they wont let you take a drink of a competing brand. Selfie sticks are banned at many stadiums.
Thats a great suggestion. I was also thinking about taking a late night train there otherwise i would miss the game. Are we allowed to take cigarettes at the ground or do they seize it at the security?
Old May 16, 2019, 12:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Thats a great suggestion. I was also thinking about taking a late night train there otherwise i would miss the game. Are we allowed to take cigarettes at the ground or do they seize it at the security?
Late night train wont be a good idea but a bus might be. As last train will get you into Bham at 2 am.

When booking use your train station from Ewell East or Ewell West to Bham. It might be a bit more expensive but you should be able to use the ticket as a travel card on the day. Peak journeys are quite pricey.

You cant smoke inside the premises as far as I am aware and you might get a funny guard say you cant take it in.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:36 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
Late night train wont be a good idea but a bus might be. As last train will get you into Bham at 2 am.

When booking use your train station from Ewell East or Ewell West to Bham. It might be a bit more expensive but you should be able to use the ticket as a travel card on the day. Peak journeys are quite pricey.

You cant smoke inside the premises as far as I am aware and you might get a funny guard say you cant take it in.
Wonderful. Thanks much for the info
Old May 16, 2019, 12:55 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Wonderful. Thanks much for the info
No worries. Let me know if you have more questions.

Also I would stay at a motel or airbnb as its cheaper in Birmingham than get one in London which will be more expensive on game day. You may try for ones near Broad Street as its quite lively there.

When I was in Bham, the buses only accepted cash and coins.

Last edited by adamnsu; May 16, 2019 at 09:29 PM..
Old May 16, 2019, 06:53 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

^^That's one thing I hate about Bham buses! They don't give you change!
Old May 28, 2019, 09:29 PM
Cricket Legend

I am pretty sure I am the dumbest desi traveler in the world. I always overpay for everything. flight hotel everything... never failed all these years.
Old May 28, 2019, 09:44 PM
Cricket Legend

So guys what's the best way to do this... I am trying to book a hotel now. I land in Heathrow at 11 am on July 1st. The problem is i don't know if the flight will be late or not or how long i would have to be in airport... if everything is on time, i probably can be out by 1pm.

Should I just stay in london overnight and try to go to edgbaston early am, i think this is risky.

Or I can head out to edgbaston but will train tickets be available from counter right away as I can only guestimate when i would be there. Bascially I don't want to be stranded anywhere for more than an hour or so.

any help or idea appreciated. how much is UBER from heathrow airport to edgbaston area or is that dumb and no body does that?
Old May 28, 2019, 09:58 PM
Cricket Legend

this looks like a lot of travel - damn it... I would have to go from heathrow to London marylebone train station (an hour ride) then from there to either Birmingham Moor Street Station or Birmingham (2 hours?) Snow Hill which is 7 mins away from the cricket ground??

Uber is ~150 to 200 british pound from heathrow to edgbaston cricket ground LMAO. Could have just landed in birmingham airport instead.
Old May 29, 2019, 03:17 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
this looks like a lot of travel - damn it... I would have to go from heathrow to London marylebone train station (an hour ride) then from there to either Birmingham Moor Street Station or Birmingham (2 hours?) Snow Hill which is 7 mins away from the cricket ground??

Uber is ~150 to 200 british pound from heathrow to edgbaston cricket ground LMAO. Could have just landed in birmingham airport instead.
Yes, it’s a fair bit of travel. You should have taken a flight to Birmingham if Edgbaston is your first destination.

I suggest you go to Birmingham on the day you arrive and check in a hotel fairly close to the ground. Birmingham has good public transport and a hotel a bit far won’t be too problematic.

Take Heathrow express to London Paddington and then take train to Birmingham from London Euston which is a fast 1 hour 20 minutes train.