facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Simulation and Fantasy Cricket

Simulation and Fantasy Cricket Sub forum for all simulation and fantasy related topics

Old October 1, 2009, 01:51 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello
Lightbulb Cricket terminology (obscure, local & general words)

I thought we should have a general thread on general cricket terminology, rules questions, laws etc.

I need to know what Doosra, Wrong'uns, Flipper, Arm ball mean, Thank you bhais and apas. Maybe with graphics or diagrams will be really great, thank you.

Maybe this is not the right place to create this thread, mod bhais or anybody else if needed please move it to the right place/folder(Forget Cricket?) or suggest, thank you.

Last edited by bujhee kom; October 1, 2009 at 01:56 AM..

Old October 1, 2009, 02:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Doosra and Wrong'uns are synonyms of Googly. Usually googly was one of the tricks for Leg Spinners. It means after delivery of the ball Batter usually think that it's a leg spin but it will turn opposite means off spin. When Saqlain Mushtaq invented same type of things, he named it doosra. It means after delivery of the ball Batter usually think that it's an off spin but it will turn opposite means leg spin. Now a day it is an available trick for all spinners. It just make a batter fool by guessing wrong. Same like reverse swing from quick bowlers.

I am not 100% sure about flipper and Arm ball. Waiting for clarification from someone.
Old October 1, 2009, 03:12 AM
Cricket Savant

Excellent, thank you so much dear Imteaz bhai!!! Yeah, we will wait for someone to explain the flipper and arm-ball, excellent! The way you explained it really helped.
So, does wide happens a lot from doosra or googly if the bowler is not good?

Last edited by bujhee kom; October 1, 2009 at 03:18 AM..
Old October 2, 2009, 02:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

There is no relation between doosra/googly/wrong'un and wide. Before calling a wide, Umpire never consider whether it was a googly/dusra or others. Umpires only consider whether the ball was within the range of batter or not. There are different rules for wide in Test & ODI. I think you know it.

Umpire can only consider the delivery type to call NO BALL. Just whether the delivery was within the guideline of ICC or not. We all know about the controversy. Chucking.

From bowler’s point of view, it depends on his practice. To ball googly/dusra or any delivery like flipper, quicker, a bowler needs proper practice and sometimes guideline.

Last edited by Imteaz; October 2, 2009 at 11:40 PM..
Old October 2, 2009, 02:37 AM
Cricket Savant

Right, thank you dear Imteaz bhai.
Old October 16, 2009, 11:25 AM
Cricket Savant

Hey guys I am not just tryiong to keep this thread alive here, these are genuine real questions that I have!

What happens when the ball hit by the batsman's bat directly hit a 'not in use' wicket-keeper or silly area fielder's helmet which was placed behind the wicket on the ground? Especially something that could've been a 4 boundary ended up being nothing.....is that appropriate? Is it legal? Why would the helmet kept there in the first place? Is that legal?

Thank you guys!
Old October 16, 2009, 01:41 PM
Cricket Legend

5 runs added to the total.
Old October 16, 2009, 01:57 PM
Cricket Savant

Great initiave bochada! We as a nation really need to raise our cricket IQ, mea includa.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old October 16, 2009, 02:14 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangla-red
5 runs added to the total.
Thank you dear Bangla-red!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
Great initiave bochada! We as a nation really need to raise our cricket IQ, mea includa.
Arrey dost! Ki bolchish beta tui?
Old October 18, 2009, 05:14 AM
Cricket Legend

BTW, I'm not sure if you get nine runs if it then goes to the boundary, but I would think that it would stay at 5.
Old October 29, 2009, 12:09 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Hi ppl, what is the difference between RFM/RMF?
Old October 29, 2009, 12:30 PM
Cricket Legend

RFM is faster than RMF (fast medium and medium fast)
Old November 13, 2009, 01:18 AM
Street Cricketer

I accept with information:There is no relation between doosra/googly/wrong'un and wide. Before calling a wide, Umpire never consider whether it was a googly/dusra or others. Umpires only consider whether the ball was within the range of batter or not.
Old November 14, 2009, 11:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

What is teesra? Saqlain bowled that in ICL and commentator's named it teesra.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old November 14, 2009, 11:28 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
Hi ppl, what is the difference between RFM/RMF?
Classification of fast bowlers
Type mph| km/h
Fast 86 + |138 +
Fast-medium 80 to 85 |130 to 137
Medium-fast 75 to 80 |121 to 130
Medium 70 to 75| 114 to 121

Source: http://wapedia.mobi/en/Fast_bowler
Old November 14, 2009, 11:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
I thought we should have a general thread on general cricket terminology, rules questions, laws etc.

I need to know what Doosra, Wrong'uns, Flipper, Arm ball mean, Thank you bhais and apas. Maybe with graphics or diagrams will be really great, thank you.

Maybe this is not the right place to create this thread, mod bhais or anybody else if needed please move it to the right place/folder(Forget Cricket?) or suggest, thank you.
here is wiki's attempt to describe cricket terminology
[url]http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_terminology[url/]

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old November 14, 2009, 11:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
Classification of fast bowlers
Type mph| km/h
Fast 86 + |138 +
Fast-medium 80 to 85 |130 to 137
Medium-fast 75 to 80 |121 to 130
Medium 70 to 75| 114 to 121

Source: http://wapedia.mobi/en/Fast_bowler
thnx for the info bro
Old November 14, 2009, 11:39 AM
Cricket Legend

medium pacers....oram..collingwood
fast bowlers.....steyn...mitchell
Old November 14, 2009, 11:41 AM
Cricket Savant

Thanks Sadi bhai for the pace bolwers' speed chart! I needed to see that as well.

Guys, what is a Military medium?

So in FTP we don't get that medium-fast version bowlers.
Old November 14, 2009, 04:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
Guys, what is a Military medium?
Just very slow seam bowling, a.k.a slow medium

basically the speed of a normal amatuer cricket player.

This is the speed chart

Speed mph I kmh

Fast 85-95+ I 137-152+
Fast-medium 80 to 90 |130 to 145
Medium-fast 75 to 85 |121 to 137
Medium below 80| 130
Old November 14, 2009, 04:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

what's a sweeper (fielder)
Old November 14, 2009, 06:14 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
what's a sweeper (fielder)
If I am not mistaken sweeper fielder stands on between Square boundary and widish long off.
Old December 20, 2009, 05:45 AM
Cricket Savant

Default Unwritten Cricket Vocabulary

An attempt at putting a structure and formality in the game...

Quote:
In order to make a system out of it, we shall invoke an abstract, idea called game where we have the ideal players . By ideal we shall mean a player who is fit, healthy, and operates at optimal level. These players are rather like the video game players or comic book heroes who make the utmost of their body and skill. By ideal we don't mean an ideal height of 6'7" per se but rather one who is proportionally built like the NBA players. In this universe, we have a grid or field which has zones. We shall use the words opponents instead of nations or teams or countries to give it an aloof, ideal, abstract structure. Commentators like Peter Kirsten, if I may recall right, talked about rhythm which may loosely mean to connect more often. By connect we shall denote any idea similar to basketball shooting, sniper hunting it;s call like a programmed automatic machine, to muay thai punch landings at the right moments. This gives us timeframe. Players should be aware of the space and time around them and be aware of the atmosphere (I have decided to avoid the cutesy ambience, milieu or environ). For visualization exercises in sports psychology department it's crucial the player has idea of this because the atmosphere there in the stadium is clearly different than his mundane affairs, the temperature changes, chantings...chaos. Anyhoo back to formality...The game has mechanics by which we mean the plot or to use the formal term algorithms operating at programmed way. We shall use the idea of offense and defense and by defense we don't mean going passively because that is the converse of aggressive. We shall use the word strength and energy. By energy we mean how fast net players coordinates or interacts and how economically they use it. Coordination invokes idea of interplay amongst various points. We use the word logistics an emphatic substitute for strategy. Commentators also have used the word shape and geometry in addition to the obvious line and length....duh. We will use the concept of halves to divide the game into two innings. Pitch has character. We will talk about errors and numbers. We will use the word attack or defend. Weather is another term. So are day and night. There are notions of motion, momentum and swings. There is counterplay. There is the idea of form borrowed from martial arts which loosely conjures up the perfect kata or poise or stance, etc. Passis a better formal term than throw the ball. We also have the general idea of options. There is simulation of the game. Etcetera.... ব্লাহ।
Edit: Please input as many formal ideas you can. Kind of like wikipedia participation.

Old December 21, 2009, 12:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

I think you're onto something Zee. Instead of measuring a players by the runs he collect and wickets he take, we could, in a sense capture his cricketing skills through a set of diversified parameters in a background which can be tuned for all condition. I mean, if all possible condition of the gameplay could be captures in a tensor, it would be possible to detect whether the sudden flood of runs or the sudden collapse is due to change in weather. I'm thinking of a matrix that can include from soil composition of pitch taken every hour to the turbulence of wind motion measured at the batting crease every five minutes.

Given this backdrop, we could then measure the attributes of a batsman in a highly compartmentalized way. By attributes, we could say precognition, reflex, placement, economy of movement etc. One parameter should be added to measure how often a batsman can make the bowler bowl to his strength. For example, if a batsman likes to play in the midwicket (as ascertained by previous data), he must make the bowler bowl fuller. And the frequency of fuller balls in every ten balls should be compared with the average frequency of delivery. The difference should measure the influence of the batsman.

Similarly, a bowler must be measured by his consistency and variation. A weight should be added to indicated the condition of the ball. I'm out of ideas about how to correctly imprison bowlers in a matrix, though.

If this really happens, then cricket will no longer be played in stadiums. By invoking similer conditions and by simulating a player's skill matrix, a game could be decided in a simulator. Of course, to account for such huge amount of data, we'd need a supercomputer.
Old December 21, 2009, 01:40 AM
Cricket Savant

Well people be complaining about the India/Sri Lanka matches that it is nothing more than computer game like farce. I disagree. Put Bangladesh in that high scoring pitch, you wouldn't see the result like that. Reason why we saw not only high scoring match but such competitiveness where game came down to the wire because these Indian-Sri Lankan players are beyond our players and are the cricket version of NBA or NFL players where fitness or rudimentary skill doesn't matter. Every free throw is result of hours of drill works where it lands with perfection; in cricket analogy, how often do we see a Bangladeshi player perform a textbook shot with perfection? Seldom. Because, we have to climb the initial obstacles of fitness, injuries, form (physical), and other fundamental barriers. We are asholei choli patay patay whereas the other teams move fromkosh to kosh. So in these reference, Indian-Sri Lankan players are like the "ideal" players who doesn't worry have to basic skill level or fitness, but remember the burslesque, koi maas dhorar moton fumblings during fielding where many of our players were guilty of 2-3 years back?? It's sad. A player can be short but if he has < 5% body fat, muscular from clocking in tons of hours in the gym, aerodynamic, lithe, flexible, gymnast like athletic who does his homework of consistently putting hours and hours of practising the same maneover over and over then he slowly comes to the realm of "ideal" players like the NBA/NFL ones. We are long shot away from producing Sehwag or Dilshan.

Edit: Consider how bad sometimes Rubel or Shahadat would bowl their line and length. It would be inexcusable in major leagues like NBA-NFL. They wouldn't even sniff a chance if something like this occurred. Because the moment you step in the international arena you are supposed to have the basics in the bag.